Home
Sooner or later antiviral treatments will be what ends the pandemic; not experimental immunity enhancements.

Merck to seek emergency authorization for oral Covid treatment after ‘compelling results’ in trials

PUBLISHED FRI, OCT 1 20216:01 AM EDTUPDATED 15 MIN AGO

Chloe Taylor

A phase 3 trial of Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics’ oral antiviral treatment molnupiravir showed it reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% in Covid patients.

Merck plans to seek emergency use authorization in the U.S. and submit marketing applications to other global drug regulators.

If authorized by regulatory bodies, molnupiravir could be the first oral antiviral medicine for Covid.

Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics plan to seek emergency authorization for their oral antiviral treatment for Covid, after the medicine showed “compelling results” in clinical trials.

The drug, molnupiravir, reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% for patients with mild or moderate cases of Covid, the companies announced Friday. Molnupiravir is administered orally and works by inhibiting the replication of the coronavirus inside the body.

An interim analysis of a phase 3 study found that 7.3% of patients treated with molnupiravir were hospitalized within 29 days. Of the patients who received a placebo, 14.1% were hospitalized or died by day 29. No deaths were reported in patients who were given molnupiravir within the 29-day period, while eight deaths were reported in placebo-treated patients.

All 775 trial participants had laboratory-confirmed symptomatic Covid-19 and were randomly given molnupiravir or a placebo within five days of symptoms.

Every participant was unvaccinated and had at least one underlying factor that put them at greater risk of developing a more severe case of the virus. The most common risk factors included obesity, being over age 60 and having diabetes or heart disease.

Merck CEO Davis provides update on highly anticipated Covid-19 pill

The phase 3 part of the trial was conducted at more than 170 sites, in countries including the U.S., Brazil, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Taiwan and Guatemala.

Molnupiravir’s efficacy was not affected by the timing of symptom onset or patients’ underlying risk factors, the study showed. It also proved to be consistently effective in treating all variants of Covid, including the widely dominant and highly transmissible delta strain.

Adverse events were comparable in the molnupiravir and placebo groups, with around 10% reporting adverse events. Just 1.3% of the molnupiravir group discontinued therapy due to an adverse event — less than the 3.4% of the placebo group who did so.

Recruitment into the study is being stopped early due to the positive results, at the recommendation of an independent Data Monitoring Committee and in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Merck is also testing molnupiravir in a separate global phase 3 study to evaluate its efficacy in preventing the spread of Covid within households.

‘Profound impact’

Robert M. Davis, CEO and president of Merck, said in a press release Friday that the company would do everything it can to bring molnupiravir to patients as quickly as possible.

“With these compelling results, we are optimistic that molnupiravir can become an important medicine as part of the global efforts to fight the pandemic,” he said.

Ridgeback Biotherapeutics CEO Wendy Holman added: “With the virus continuing to circulate widely, and because therapeutic options currently available are infused or require access to a healthcare facility, antiviral treatments that can be taken at home to keep people with Covid-19 out of the hospital are critically needed.”

“We are very encouraged by the results from the interim analysis and hope molnupiravir, if authorized for use, can make a profound impact in controlling the pandemic,” she said.

Emergency use authorization

Merck said Friday it plans to seek emergency use authorization for the drug in the U.S. as soon as possible. The company also plans to submit marketing applications to other international drug regulators.

If authorized by regulatory bodies, molnupiravir could be the first oral antiviral medicine for Covid. Antiviral treatments now in use, such as remdesivir, are administered intravenously.

Merck has already begun producing molnupiravir. The pharmaceutical giant expects to produce 10 million courses of treatment by the end of 2021, and more doses in 2022.

The company agreed earlier this year to supply the U.S. with around 1.7 million courses of molnupiravir if it receives emergency use authorization or full approval from the FDA.

Merck has also entered supply and purchase agreements for the drug with other governments — pending regulatory authorization — and is in discussions with other governments about the supply of molnupiravir.

The company said it plans to implement a tiered pricing approach based on World Bank country income criteria to ensure molnupiravir can be accessed globally. Merck previously announced that it had entered into nonexclusive voluntary licensing agreements for molnupiravir with generic manufacturers, a move intended to assist low and middle-income countries in gaining access to the treatment. Those agreements are also pending approvals or emergency authorization by local regulators.

Profit share
Ridgeback received an upfront payment from Merck as part of the companies’ development of molnupiravir. The company is also eligible to receive contingent payments depending on developmental and regulatory approval milestones.

Profits arising from the collaboration will be split between Merck and Ridgeback equally.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/mer...ization-for-oral-covid-19-treatment.html
I'd likely be dead if it were not for modern medical advacnes.
I predict it'll be a failure because someone will discover that it contains satanic compounds.
I won’t take until it gets approved by the Campfire Amateur Armchair Online Medical Research Foundation.
Ivermectin?
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Ivermectin?

I think they did have the original patent
Interesting timing on this announcement. The stock market futures were significantly lower early this morning to continue the big decline from yesterday. When this was announced at 6 AM the stock market futures abruptly turned around and now are showing solid gains. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a continued drop in the market later this afternoon.
This is inconvenient for the vaccine Nazis.
Protease inhibitor you say? Hmmm, where have I seen one of those before?
A conspiracy-minded person might think that Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, etc. were being poo-pahed so that Big Pharma could come up with an expensive treatment for covid.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
A conspiracy-minded person might think that Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, etc. were being poo-pahed so that Big Pharma could come up with an expensive treatment for covid.

X2

Bingo!
Get set for a massive bribe auction…
Originally Posted by smokepole
I predict it'll be a failure because someone will discover that it contains satanic compounds.

lol......as in compounds that end with "ase".........
I was certain that Merck was the original producer of Ivermectin...........

I was right after a quick WIKI search.

I find it interesting that the company that brought us ivermectin is now bringing us an antiviral to fight covid.

Too bad that ivermectin is useless against covid 19 and probably there was no data available to Merck for coming up with an antiviral..............

Oh well.
I have no logical basis for thinking this but it seems to me a pill to cure the ailment would be more acceptable than a vaccine that might lessen the effects off the ailment.

Which appears less effective than vitamin B or Ivermectin........

Maybe it’s about the money, after all?

Merck makes ivermectin, Merck says ivermectin is ineffective, Merck makes vaccine announcement

the conspiracy narrative is already written
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Sooner or later antiviral treatments will be what ends the pandemic; not experimental immunity enhancements.

Merck to seek emergency authorization for oral Covid treatment after ‘compelling results’ in trials

PUBLISHED FRI, OCT 1 20216:01 AM EDTUPDATED 15 MIN AGO

Chloe Taylor

A phase 3 trial of Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics’ oral antiviral treatment molnupiravir showed it reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% in Covid patients.

Merck plans to seek emergency use authorization in the U.S. and submit marketing applications to other global drug regulators.

If authorized by regulatory bodies, molnupiravir could be the first oral antiviral medicine for Covid.

Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics plan to seek emergency authorization for their oral antiviral treatment for Covid, after the medicine showed “compelling results” in clinical trials.

The drug, molnupiravir, reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% for patients with mild or moderate cases of Covid, the companies announced Friday. Molnupiravir is administered orally and works by inhibiting the replication of the coronavirus inside the body.

An interim analysis of a phase 3 study found that 7.3% of patients treated with molnupiravir were hospitalized within 29 days. Of the patients who received a placebo, 14.1% were hospitalized or died by day 29. No deaths were reported in patients who were given molnupiravir within the 29-day period, while eight deaths were reported in placebo-treated patients.

All 775 trial participants had laboratory-confirmed symptomatic Covid-19 and were randomly given molnupiravir or a placebo within five days of symptoms.

Every participant was unvaccinated and had at least one underlying factor that put them at greater risk of developing a more severe case of the virus. The most common risk factors included obesity, being over age 60 and having diabetes or heart disease.

Merck CEO Davis provides update on highly anticipated Covid-19 pill

The phase 3 part of the trial was conducted at more than 170 sites, in countries including the U.S., Brazil, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Taiwan and Guatemala.

Molnupiravir’s efficacy was not affected by the timing of symptom onset or patients’ underlying risk factors, the study showed. It also proved to be consistently effective in treating all variants of Covid, including the widely dominant and highly transmissible delta strain.

Adverse events were comparable in the molnupiravir and placebo groups, with around 10% reporting adverse events. Just 1.3% of the molnupiravir group discontinued therapy due to an adverse event — less than the 3.4% of the placebo group who did so.

Recruitment into the study is being stopped early due to the positive results, at the recommendation of an independent Data Monitoring Committee and in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Merck is also testing molnupiravir in a separate global phase 3 study to evaluate its efficacy in preventing the spread of Covid within households.

‘Profound impact’

Robert M. Davis, CEO and president of Merck, said in a press release Friday that the company would do everything it can to bring molnupiravir to patients as quickly as possible.

“With these compelling results, we are optimistic that molnupiravir can become an important medicine as part of the global efforts to fight the pandemic,” he said.

Ridgeback Biotherapeutics CEO Wendy Holman added: “With the virus continuing to circulate widely, and because therapeutic options currently available are infused or require access to a healthcare facility, antiviral treatments that can be taken at home to keep people with Covid-19 out of the hospital are critically needed.”

“We are very encouraged by the results from the interim analysis and hope molnupiravir, if authorized for use, can make a profound impact in controlling the pandemic,” she said.

Emergency use authorization

Merck said Friday it plans to seek emergency use authorization for the drug in the U.S. as soon as possible. The company also plans to submit marketing applications to other international drug regulators.

If authorized by regulatory bodies, molnupiravir could be the first oral antiviral medicine for Covid. Antiviral treatments now in use, such as remdesivir, are administered intravenously.

Merck has already begun producing molnupiravir. The pharmaceutical giant expects to produce 10 million courses of treatment by the end of 2021, and more doses in 2022.

The company agreed earlier this year to supply the U.S. with around 1.7 million courses of molnupiravir if it receives emergency use authorization or full approval from the FDA.

Merck has also entered supply and purchase agreements for the drug with other governments — pending regulatory authorization — and is in discussions with other governments about the supply of molnupiravir.

The company said it plans to implement a tiered pricing approach based on World Bank country income criteria to ensure molnupiravir can be accessed globally. Merck previously announced that it had entered into nonexclusive voluntary licensing agreements for molnupiravir with generic manufacturers, a move intended to assist low and middle-income countries in gaining access to the treatment. Those agreements are also pending approvals or emergency authorization by local regulators.

Profit share
Ridgeback received an upfront payment from Merck as part of the companies’ development of molnupiravir. The company is also eligible to receive contingent payments depending on developmental and regulatory approval milestones.

Profits arising from the collaboration will be split between Merck and Ridgeback equally.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/mer...ization-for-oral-covid-19-treatment.html

You may find this interesting, or not. Lol

"We started seeing inflammation, so we used anti-inflammatories," Dr. Tyson explains. "We saw blood clots, so we used anti-coagulants. We saw patients having trouble breathing, so we used asthma medications. … It wasn't just one drug. It was the art of what we see and how those patients responded to what we gave them."

As Tyson notes, if you are not in favor of early treatment, that's fine, but why do you have to attack others who try to treat the virus? "If I'm wrong, people are still going to die," asserted Tyson. "But if I'm right, how many thousands of lives would have been saved?"
Taken from Conservative Review

https://www.conservativereview.com/...gainst-humanity-theblaze-2655204407.html
Originally Posted by Dutch

It usually is. I would say it always is, but a college professor I had taught me to always avoid the use of the words "always" or "never".
Seems like similar results to Budesonide???
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Compare here.
https://c19early.com/
Note Ivermectin at $1.
Too much money in a good crisis & vaccines to let it go to waste with a useful treatment.....................the emergency use petition will be denied as not having enough substantiation.

MM

X2

Effective, actual vaccines are bad business. Repeat business is where the money is. Cures don't make as much money as treatments. Heard that directly from a doctor who owns a string of clinics.

That's why they try to change the meaning of the word vaccine from what it has always been to include mRNA therapy shots you'd have to take regularly for the rest of your life.
Originally Posted by erikj
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Compare here.
https://c19early.com/
Note Ivermectin at $1.

Amazing site. Thanks
So I understand Molnupiravir works as a synthetic nucleoside derivative N4-hydroxycytidine, and exerts its antiviral action through introduction of copying errors during viral RNA replication. So it is not related to Ivermectin. Ivermectin acts by interfering with the nerve and muscle functions of helminths and insects. The drug binds to glutamate-gated chloride channels common to invertebrate nerve and muscle cells. It was not invented my Merck, but discovered in 1975 by William Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura. It was first marketed as a veternarian antiparasitic by Merck in 1981.

In order for Molnupiravir to work, it must be taken before the onset of serious symptoms. What I'm curious about is whether those who refuse vaccines would be willing to take Molnupiravir as soon as they test positive, before their Covid symptoms become serious. I suspect a lot of people who refuse vaccines would also generally downplay or deny the seriousness of Covid and they will either recover after only minor illness or they will get very sick and it will be too late or Molnupiravir to have any effect.

It seems the potential market size for Molnupiravir will be primarily among people that are likely vaccinated that subsequently get Covid or Influenza and can then get access to Molnupiravir to prevent serious illness. If the vaccines (both covid and flu) limit the chances of serious illness, the application for Molnupiravir may appear to be limited, but since it is taken before the seriousness of the illness can be gauged, the potential market size could be as big as all break-through infections.

What do you think? If you've refused vaccines, would you take Molnupiravir at the first minor symptoms of covid or flu?
Really? So you think that because Ivermectin kills internal parasites, it is not related to this new drug because the new drug is an antiviral?

So....because fenbendazole kills internal parasites it is not related to anti cancer drugs? Even though it is an anti cancer drug?
I sure hope it tastes better than the so called "apple flavor" of ivermectin!

It dont taste appley at all.

Gotta wash it down with some Mountain Dew.......Hey maybe its the Mtn Dew that is working?

I did try washing it down with a Michelob Ultra..........not a good combo.
And will only cost 1000% more than plain old Ivermectin pills
I can see all the Sheep lining up with their mouths open. LOL .................ew, ew, please, please give me the new synthetic drug that my organic body doesn't like and creates side affects. smirk
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The drug, molnupiravir, reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% for patients with mild or moderate cases of Covid, the companies announced Friday.
98.2% of mild or moderate cases survive without any chemical intervention.lol
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Most of my family would likely be sick if not for eating properly,taking supplements,exercising regularly,drinking pure water and getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine.
Originally Posted by rte

Most of my family would likely be sick if not for eating properly,taking supplements,exercising regularly,drinking pure water and getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine.

All that + not hiding from people! I have an immune system because I am regularly exposed to lots of people...and germs
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by rte

All that + not hiding from people! I have an immune system because I am regularly exposed to lots of people...and germs

Those are the best preventatives going.
It would be curious to know how many people follow rte and ready_on_the_right's prescription to good health.
If everyone did this big Pharma would be out of business real quick. Heck, most of the medical profession would be gone too.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Ivermectin acts by interfering with the nerve and muscle functions of helminths and insects. The drug binds to glutamate-gated chloride channels common to invertebrate nerve and muscle cells.

Ivermectin has broad antiviral activity by apparently blocking nuclear import. Wife used to work for a lady scientist studying importin at Harvard.

[Linked Image from mdpi.com]
Originally Posted by cra1948
I won’t take until it gets approved by the Campfire Amateur Armchair Online Medical Research Foundation.

LOL....love it!!!
[/b][i][/i]
Originally Posted by 300MAG

LOL....love it!!!

Thank God the FDA has the best interest of Americans when it comes to Merck and their drugs

[b]Number of Patients Affected by Vioxx
At the time of its recall, Vioxx had been taken by some 4 million Americans. Out of those patients who took Vioxx, the arthritis drug may have caused approximately 140,000 heart attacks resulting in an estimated 60,000 deaths, FDA investigator Grah
am.
Originally Posted by ribka
[/b][i][/i]
Originally Posted by 300MAG

LOL....love it!!!

Thank God the FDA has the best interest of Americans when it comes to Merck and their drugs

[b]Number of Patients Affected by Vioxx
At the time of its recall, Vioxx had been taken by some 4 million Americans. Out of those patients who took Vioxx, the arthritis drug may have caused approximately 140,000 heart attacks resulting in an estimated 60,000 deaths, FDA investigator Grah
am.

Thank God for the FDA. Where in the World would the Sheep be without them........................
Come on man, everybody needs adverse side affects.
So I understand Molnupiravir works as a synthetic nucleoside derivative N4-hydroxycytidine, and exerts its antiviral action through introduction of copying errors during viral RNA replication. So it is not related to Ivermectin. Ivermectin acts by interfering with the nerve and muscle functions of helminths and insects. The drug binds to glutamate-gated chloride channels common to invertebrate nerve and muscle cells. It was not invented my Merck, but discovered in 1975 by William Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura. It was first marketed as a veternarian antiparasitic by Merck in 1981.

In order for Molnupiravir to work, it must be taken before the onset of serious symptoms. What I'm curious about is whether those who refuse vaccines would be willing to take Molnupiravir as soon as they test positive, before their Covid symptoms become serious. I suspect a lot of people who refuse vaccines would also generally downplay or deny the seriousness of Covid and they will either recover after only minor illness or they will get very sick and it will be too late or Molnupiravir to have any effect.

It seems the potential market size for Molnupiravir will be primarily among people that are likely vaccinated that subsequently get Covid or Influenza and can then get access to Molnupiravir to prevent serious illness. If the vaccines (both covid and flu) limit the chances of serious illness, the application for Molnupiravir may appear to be limited, but since it is taken before the seriousness of the illness can be gauged, the potential market size could be as big as all break-through infections.

What do you think? If you've refused vaccines, would you take Molnupiravir at the first minor symptoms of covid or flu?

I think the pathway of targeting calcium channels in invertebrates is not the same discussion as a proposed disruption of MRNA encoding that is basically how life is carried out in vertebrates like me. Two unrelated discussion points. Impact of a drug in one species does not preclude other results in other species. So that is a poor strawman argument in my opinion.

So given this new drug induces copy errors in cellular MRNA machinery for the virus, what happens when it produces errors in MRNA intended to carry out life function? Like blocking blood clotting proteins when you get a cut?
My shoot from the hip response is d1cking with MRNA expression is very questionable. What other functions would it cancel, and for how long? What happens to cells when the can't do things like apoptosis or replication or send messenger proteins for communication? Messing with MRNA machine is messing with proteins, which are the currency of life. Out of the many expressions of MRNA, what would it cancel beside the virus? What other cellular life functions would be disrupted?

Waiting for an answer before I decide.
No worries Terryk, they have another drug that will fix the adverse side effects of the one they are pushing and of course of that fix causes a side effect, well heck, they have one for that one also. And not to worry about cost because your health insurance co. will take care of it and if you don't have health insurance, well, they can find you some gov. money.
Originally Posted by huskyrunner
Ivermectin acts by interfering with the nerve and muscle functions of helminths and insects. The drug binds to glutamate-gated chloride channels common to invertebrate nerve and muscle cells.

Ivermectin has broad antiviral activity by apparently blocking nuclear import. Wife used to work for a lady scientist studying importin at Harvard.

[Linked Image from mdpi.com]

Blocking endocytosis of selected receptors such as the ace2 receptors is fair game. Other treatments also do the same thing, make viral transport into a cell more difficult, like HQ, C, etc. They change the PH gradient that eases receptor based endocytosis.
My opinion is that text books written over the last 50 years are pretty solid basis to analysis. No political propaganda.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I find it interesting that the company that brought us ivermectin is now bringing us an antiviral to fight covid.

Too bad that ivermectin is useless against covid 19 and probably there was no data available to Merck for coming up with an antiviral..............

Oh well.

But the new stuff, probably has a similar mode of action, and it’s only 700 times more expensive than ivermectin.
The new Merck drug is being priced at over $700 a treatment. And it was developed using research funds provided by the US government.

In other words, as a tax payer, you get screwed twice while Merck makes a windfall. The US government funds almost 50% of all drug research (Nearly $90 BILLION!). In addition, your elected officials (Mainly Bill Clinton and Obama) relaxed the pricing controls on all drugs produced with tax payer money, allowing the pharmaceutical companies to gouge you.

This right here.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Oh well.

But the new stuff, probably has a similar mode of action, and it’s only 700 times more expensive than ivermectin.

Now NIH approved or studying. Go figure. A bit more than halfway down.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/tables/table-2e/
Originally Posted by Dutch

It usually is. I would say it always is, but a college professor I had taught me to always avoid the use of the words "always" or "never".

Yeah, same here.

Always and Never aren't very popular in the biological world, as those words connote absolutes. And, with biological variability, there isn't much that's absolute, short of death and taxes.

That's why bell curves are used to express standard deviations, deviation from the mean, tests for statistical confidence, etc.

DF
Interesting timing on this announcement. The stock market futures were significantly lower early this morning to continue the big decline from yesterday. When this was announced at 6 AM the stock market futures abruptly turned around and now are showing solid gains. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a continued drop in the market later this afternoon.

Did Nancy Piglosy and her husband invest?
© 24hourcampfire