Posted By: wabigoon Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Just that, for self-defense.
Your twat.

LOL
Airweight 642

.38/.38 spec

Simple, goes bang

Gets some crimson trace on it
I recommend you get the lady in question some basic training and let her decide for herself.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Smith and Wesson small revolver, model 360, in 38 special.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Airweight 642

Simple, goes bang

Hard to argue with that. Except maybe put a Crimson Trace laser grip on it.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Airweight 642 would be a solid choice.
Thanks so far good folks!
I’d love to know the scenario that warrants a retard like wabigoon recommending a handgun.

LOL
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks so far good folks!

Be sure to sniff it before you put it back in the box.

LOL
Posted By: keith Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
J frame smiths are some of the hardest pistols to Master, even for an experienced shooter. Double action is hell on wheels to master accurately for the J frame, and I carried one for 8 years with the trigger tricked out by the Smith custom shop. 95g Silver tips made by Winchester is dead nuts point of aim for the model 60.

Women have one heck of a time with a 9-12 lb trigger as their fingers are not as strong as a man, and they just jerk the heck out of the trigger.

My wife has done much better with a Taurus Compact 9mm, 12 shots, very easy for her to shoot, accurately. The new Springfield Hellcat in 9mm would also be a great option, with it's fantastic trigger.
Like Dementia Joe says, get a shotgun.

Wife carry’s an Airweight.
Whatever 12344maggie shoots.
Posted By: ISRO Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Whatever 12344maggie shoots.

LOL
And here's isro sucking Charlies flaccid pee pee.
I agree totally with the airweight 38 Special. Simplicity is key, pull it out, point and pull the trigger. No slide or safety or magazine. Just pull the trigger.
At least Kingstone has not done his thing!
Posted By: Teal Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Ruger Alaskan in 480 Ruger.

Should fit her purse just fine.
Snub nosed .38s (the lighter the better) are perfect for small framed, and novice shooters.
Whichever she chooses herself after firing a selection at the gun range. Load a single round and fire until she gets the hang of control.

Or a Ruger LCR in .327 loaded with .32 H&R. .32 S&W or ACP for practice. I haven't actually shot the ACP, so.
My daughter is shooting a m67 (no dash) smith, my wife is using a 65-5 3” with 38’s golden saber in both.
Experienced, Springfield Hellcat/Sig P365
New to firearms, revolver no larger than .38spcl like a Lady smith.
A revolver is simple in whatever caliber she handles well.
If that is a 22lr that should be it. I don't recall ever seeing any articles where someone was raped or assaulted with a couple of freshly planted 22 slugs in their chest.
And-- practice, practice, practice

so......

what's the availability of this said handgun ?
Originally Posted by tikkanut

so......

And, ammo?
Originally Posted by keith
J frame smiths are some of the hardest pistols to Master, even for an experienced shooter. Double action is hell on wheels to master accurately for the J frame, and I carried one for 8 years with the trigger tricked out by the Smith custom shop. 95g Silver tips made by Winchester is dead nuts point of aim for the model 60.

Women have one heck of a time with a 9-12 lb trigger as their fingers are not as strong as a man, and they just jerk the heck out of the trigger.

My wife has done much better with a Taurus Compact 9mm, 12 shots, very easy for her to shoot, accurately. The new Springfield Hellcat in 9mm would also be a great option, with it's fantastic trigger.

Very true

Glock 42
[img]https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.Jj4A...=3.1&cb=&w=300&h=300&p=0[/img]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Airweight 642

.38/.38 spec

Simple, goes bang

Gets some crimson trace on it

i got one each for my wife and daughter. the one called "Ladysmith" has a smoother trigger out of the box. they both benefited from a lot of dry firing.
With so many things in life, you take what you can get.
Posted By: goalie Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21

Have the last shoot a bunch and decide what she likes.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Be hard to beat.

If they go with the revolver, S&W offers a 3” Model 60 version with adjustable sights that might be easier to teach a novice lady to shoot with.
I’d recommend 38 special full Wadcutters for the carry load in the revolvers. The Buffalo Boar Outdoorsmen Load offers good penetration and low recoil.
A set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips would also be a good add on for the revolver

Yeah up yours, bud
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Be hard to beat.

If they go with the revolver, S&W offers a 3” Model 60 version with adjustable sights that might be easier to teach a novice lady to shoot with.
I’d recommend 38 special full Wadcutters for the carry load in the revolvers. The Buffalo Boar Outdoorsmen Load offers good penetration and low recoil.

Go beat your meat , f a g
With so many things in life, you take what you can get.

Loser

so......

And, ammo?

H A N D L O A D !!

my daily carry......

FN 40

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I would recommend the .44 mag desert eagle over the 50AE desert eagle for a woman.

Put it in a really sturdy purse.

Whip that mofo out and stick it right in a mooks face!!!!

9mm pistol with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel like many have already said.
Surprised they haven’t made a compact high capacity 5.7
my wife has small hands, but wanted a semi auto that she could work the slide. we tried about 7 or 8 at the LGS. Walther PK380. perfect fit, easy slide spring. reliable.

if you're married to a revolver that airweight is good, we ended up getting 2 of those last year with the crimson trace because the LGS was running a sale, $299 IIRC
I was a certified NRA instructor for quite a few years. About every woman that took my class and bought one of those air weights or super light revolver or semis that their boyfriend or husband told them that is what they wanted ended up not being able to handle the recoil and it ended up in the drawer.

Let her get some certified training, shoot a few different handguns, and let her decided. A 5 shot J frame with 38 wad cutters will suffice and the revolvers are not so intimidating as semis.

The biggest problem of introducing new shooters to semis is the getting it drilled into there heads that you drop the magazine and then clear the chamber when unloading.There are a lot of AD's when they eject a round and the drop the magazine.Sometimes with disastrous and tragic results.

Although I would not want to get shot with one, I don't consider a .380 as a suitable self defense gun.a 22 would be just as good.

5.7x28..........

hmmmmmm

ain't got one of those
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I was a certified NRA instructor for quite a few years. About every woman that took my class and bought one of those air weights or super light revolve or semis that their boyfriend or husband told them that is what they wanted ended up not being able to handle the recoil and it ended up in the drawer.

Let her get some certified training, shoot a few different handguns, and let her decided. A 5 shot J frame with 38 wad cutters will suffice and the revolvers are not so intimidating as semis.

The biggest problem of introducing new shooters to semis is the getting it drilled into there heads that you drop the magazine and then clear the chamber when unloading.There are a lot of AD's when they eject a round and the drop the magazine.Sometimes with disastrous and tragic results

My experience as well in nearly 25 years of teaching Carry Classes.
My old growler w/ the arthritic thumbs can run a G19 like a boss. She had a great teacher and dry fires weekly. She is mean as a snake and has no intention of being dependent or a victim. If your wife won't/can't train get her some pepper spray.

mike r
I was a certified NRA instructor for quite a few years. About every woman that took my class and bought one of those air weights or super light revolve or semis that their boyfriend or husband told them that is what they wanted ended up not being able to handle the recoil and it ended up in the drawer.

The biggest problem of introducing new shooters to semis is the getting it drilled into there heads that you drop the magazine and then clear the chamber when unloading.There are a lot of things AD's when they eject a round and the drop the magazine.Sometimes with disastrous and tragic results

My wife shot plenty of different handguns and chose the airweight.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
needs to be a wheel gun,, probably in 6.5
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My old growler w/ the arthritic thumbs can run a G19 like a boss. She had a great teacher and dry fires weekly. She is mean as a snake and has no intention of being dependent or a victim. If your wife won't/can't train get her some pepper spray.

mike r

You mean you know a woman that knows how to use a firearm?

That's crazy talk.
I was a certified NRA instructor for quite a few years. About every woman that took my class and bought one of those air weights or super light revolver or semis that their boyfriend or husband told them that is what they wanted ended up not being able to handle the recoil and it ended up in the drawer.

The biggest problem of introducing new shooters to semis is the getting it drilled into there heads that you drop the magazine and then clear the chamber when unloading.There are a lot of AD's when they eject a round and the drop the magazine.Sometimes with disastrous and tragic results.

Although I would not want to get shot with one, I don't consider a .380 as a suitable self defense gun.a 22 would be just as good.

I watched that very scenario play out.

For a woman who is not a "enthusiast" a J-frame with a mild load.
Got my wife a light weight S&W Model 637, tried a Ruger LCR but she liked the Smith better. I have an older Model 31 S&W in 32 that she shoots but 4 inch barrel and all steel. Her favorite gun is a Sako AV in 375 H&H but too big for every day carry.

5.7x28..........

hmmmmmm

ain't got one of those

You are already a FN fan, their 5.7 pistol is a very fun gun to shoot. Pair it up w/ a PS90 for those desert excursionsgrin.

mike r
Originally Posted by SandBilly

The biggest problem of introducing new shooters to semis is the getting it drilled into there heads that you drop the magazine and then clear the chamber when unloading.There are a lot of things AD's when they eject a round and the drop the magazine.Sometimes with disastrous and tragic results

Most women I taught chose an air weight, given the choice and training. They’re not bad to shoot with the right ammo.
Steel j-frame like a ladysmith with 38's or a glock 42.

Both have low recoil and are dependable. (My wife likes her j-frame.)

There's some argument that civilian carry is to just break engagement...so even a .22 could be viable...vs military and police thoughts of putting someone down with 1 or 2 shots.

No matter what she gets, practice and be willing to use it not just brandish it...

Most women I taught chose an air weight, given the choice and training. They’re not bad to shoot with the right ammo.

Yeah I'm sure you can cut the X-Ring all day with one.

LOL
She'll love an X-frame. Weight really tames the recoil. Big holes. Just do it.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
I tried to get my wife into a 38 special. Even had a couple. Colt agent and a S/W 637 maybe? I decided she would be better off with an 8 shot 22. Just keep pulling the trigger till it stops or you run out of bangs
Posted By: goalie Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
I've had them love everything from a j-frame to a GP100 with 38's to a Shield EZ to a M&P compact to a Walther PPS M2 to a G27 to a Canik TP9 SF elite to a Shield 45.

So, now I just let them shoot after some grip instruction and decide.

Edit: most suck shooting a j-frame double action, and every one has liked the SP101 .22lr I start them on

Stereotypes aside.

Just like men, ladies differ dramatically.

I've seen many ladies that couldn't hit the side of a barn with a little revolver, but loved a semi...rack slides and all functions.
Her mileage will vary. EVERYBODY is different.

Forget the lightweight 38 mantras and take her to a shop with a range. They will have all varieties to choose from.
If there's none in your area, ask friends if they will let her try out whatever they have and tell them that you will buy the ammo.

After trying out a sufficient number and narrowing down the choice, get her a handgun safety or CCW course. She will need to borrow, rent or buy her selection and should be good to go with practice and continued education.
Thanks all.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Krazi
I tried to get my wife into a 38 special. Even had a couple. Colt agent and a S/W 637 maybe? I decided she would be better off with an 8 shot 22. Just keep pulling the trigger till it stops or you run out of bangs

+1 on Colt Agent or the S&W larger version Model 12 Military Air Weight.
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Krazi

+1 on Colt Agent or the S&W larger version Model 12 Military Air Weight.

Oh now the resident Pollock wanna talk handguns.

LOL

This should get good.

A compact 5.7 would have a whole lot of muzzle flash and ear piercing noise. Between that and what you would lose in velocity/terminal performance I can’t see it being a great choice. It’s flat shooting and easy to make hits at distance with but in a compact short site radius gun you would lose that to.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

A compact 5.7 would have a whole lot of muzzle flash and ear piercing noise. Between that and what you would lose in velocity/terminal performance I can’t see it being a great choice. It’s flat shooting and easy to make hits at distance with but in a compact short site radius gun you would lose that to.

Gotcha. Guess that’s why
A 2” barrel 38 spl is not an ideal starter gun. It’s compact and lightweight however .

5.7x28..........

hmmmmmm

ain't got one of those

You are already a FN fan, their 5.7 pistol is a very fun gun to shoot. Pair it up w/ a PS90 for those desert excursionsgrin.

mike r

Plus 1

FN doesn’t make junk or poorly thought out designs. FN, CZ, and H&K are all top notch across a wide design platform IMO.
Have a 500 SW if the price is right...
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Stereotypes aside.

Just like men, ladies differ dramatically.

I've seen many ladies that couldn't hit the side of a barn with a little revolver, but loved a semi...rack slides and all functions.
Her mileage will vary. EVERYBODY is different.

Forget the lightweight 38 mantras and take her to a shop with a range. They will have all varieties to choose from.
If there's none in your area, ask friends if they will let her try out whatever they have and tell them that you will buy the ammo.

After trying out a sufficient number and narrowing down the choice, get her a handgun safety or CCW course. She will need to borrow, rent or buy her selection and should be good to go with practice and continued education.

Not all bad info but GFY
My wife uses and carries a S&W 642
Originally Posted by deflave

mike r

You mean you know a woman that knows how to use a firearm?

That's crazy talk.

I know, right. Think what she could do with some of that NRA training and a snubby, it boggles the mind.

mike r
Is this for concealed carry or home defense? If it’s for home defense I recommend a Glock 19 or any other Sig, S&W, Beretta etc. I that size class. Which ever one fits her hand better. If it’s for concealed carry than the largest handgun that she will realistically carry. At the bottom of the scale are the Beretta Pico fand Ruger LCP in 380 ACP. Next up in size is an S&W 642 or Ruger LCR in 38 Spl. If recoil is an issue but she is more comfortable with a revolver get a steel frame S&W model 60, Ruger SP101, Colt Cobra or Kimber K6 and load them with 38 Spl. If she is comfortable with an automatic in 9mm, the Sig P365, S&W Shield plus or Springfield Hellcat, or if she prefers a single stack, the regular Shield, Glock G43 or Beretta APX Carry.
The most important thing is to let her handle and try as many as she can and let her decide what she is comfortable with.
Posted By: DMc Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/03/21
Little Diamondback .380 with a grip activated laser.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Believing the smaller and lighter, the more likely it'll be carried.
Two that I like to carry, a S&W 432 PD, 6 shot 32H&R ,snubbie with Crimson Trace grips and an old High Standard 22mag 9 shot snubbie.

Someone in the classifieds was trying to sell a Charter Arms 32 H&R.

I'd say the perfect ladies gun would be a 1911 since they can never decide when they will fire.

I taught my Ex and son to shoot handguns with a 3” Model 60. For twenty years that was the one kept loaded with plusP .38’s as the available home defense gun.

She keeps a .38 Airweight now.

Revolvers are so simple to use, point and shoot, in a crisis there’s no safeties to fumble, no limp wrist jams. You can easily see if they’re loaded.

So sign me up in the Airweight vote column.
"The old equalizer".
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I taught my Ex and son to shoot handguns with a 3” Model 60. For twenty years that was the one kept loaded with plusP .38’s as the available home defense gun.

She keeps a .38 Airweight now.

Revolvers are so simple to use, point and shoot, in a crisis there’s no safeties to fumble, no limp wrist jams. You can easily see if they’re loaded.

So sign me up in the Airweight vote column.

What a shock.

LOL
"The old equalizer".

That's what your mom calls it.

LOL
What a shock.

LOL

OK Einstein, what’s your recommendation?
What a shock.

LOL

OK Einstein, what’s your recommendation?

Don't listen to dumbfugks that can't shoot handguns.

LOL

LOL

OK, assuming you can shoot handguns, what’s your recommendation?

People who think women can't handle the "complicated" semi auto must hang around with the wrong women. I'd take them to the range and let them choose. That being said, my money would be on the bigger compact guns like the G48, Shield Plus, etc. Most women's' hands are too small for a 19 or M&P. I don't know how many customers wanted a 19 after shooting their boyfriend's, until I had them handle a 48.

LOL

LOL

Just STFU.

LOL

LOL

Just STFU.

Thought so.
Your notion of thinking, is not thinking.
Posted By: drover Re: Recommend a ladies handgun. - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I agree totally with the airweight 38 Special. Simplicity is key, pull it out, point and pull the trigger. No slide or safety or magazine. Just pull the trigger.

This is the correct answer IMO. If she has to use a handgun for self-defense it will be a high stress moment and trying to remember the drill that may need to be done with a semi-auto may be more of a hinderance than helpful.

While I agree with the concept of weekly shooting / training sessions realistically that is not a scenario that is going to happen with most folks.

S&W / Colt / Ruger or other similar snubby double action and if it has to be used teach her to just keep pulling the trigger until it just goes click.

drover
Originally Posted by drover

This is the correct answer IMO. If she has to use a handgun for self-defense it will be a high stress moment and trying to remember the drill that may need to be done with a semi-auto may be more of a hinderance than helpful.

While I agree with the concept of weekly shooting / training sessions realistically that is not a scenario that is going to happen with most folks.

S&W / Colt / Ruger or other similar snubby double action and if it has to be used teach her to just keep pulling the trigger until it just goes click.

drover

Plus 1 for all of the reasons just outlined.
lol
Originally Posted by wrongtime
I recommend you get the lady in question some basic training and let her decide for herself.

So simple. So correct.

Glock G42
Originally Posted by dale06

+1

my daily carry......

FN 40

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mister, you're no lady.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Yeah up yours, bud

Thanks, We've got to stick together against the bullies around here.
My wife carries a Taurus public defender in her purse when she's out and about and a Ruger .380 LCP on her person. Pretty much from one extreme to the other. She prefers the Ruger .380 to her Lady S&W and shoots it a lot better also.
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by dale06

+1

Sorry, it's a 357 magnum. Why spend the extra money when you can get a 642 much cheaper?

This makes no sense. The semi is carried with a round in the chamber. Most don't have a safety. What's the magazine have to do with it?

LOL

LOL

Just STFU.

Thought so.

laugh
© 24hourcampfire