Home
Posted By: Snowwolfe Guns international - 10/05/21
As a seller, will GI require me to collect sales tax on a firearm transaction if the gun is shipped to a state that has sales tax?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
how can you collect tax without a tax number, and how fo you pay it to the state
Posted By: ribka Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
buyer is typically charged the tax
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
Doesn't the site do that? That's how ebay works. They collect and add the amount to the buyers invoice.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
Another wake up for the snoring crowd- the Mayfair v. South Dakota decision in 2018 started the ball rolling.

https://www.cpajournal.com/2021/04/...urts-decision-in-south-dakota-v-wayfair/

Gun Broker has been doing this for the past year. Guns International and any online site passing the threshold set by the decision through its portal is required to comply.

It sucks and its no fun for buyer or seller, but its old information. Imagine the software required to run such a mess considering all the changing state laws.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
I suspect a lot of tax collected from the buyer never makes it into state coffers.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
Reason I ask is Gunbrokers automatically adds sales tax to the invoice and seller has to send it to me. Then GB charges me on my CC for the tax collected.
Does GI work the same ?
Posted By: jk16 Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Reason I ask is Gunbrokers automatically adds sales tax to the invoice and seller has to send it to me. Then GB charges me on my CC for the tax collected.
Does GI work the same ?

No- they do not.

Dealers who sell there collect tax on sales within their own states.

Since Gun International is simply a listing service and not an Auction site that also handles the payments, they do not collect sales tax on behalf of the sellers.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Guns international - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Does GI work the same ?

No- they do not.

Dealers who sell there collect tax on sales within their own states.

Since Gun International is simply a listing service and not an Auction site that also handles the payments, they do not collect sales tax on behalf of the sellers.

That’s what I needed to know.
Thank you
© 24hourcampfire