Home
Posted By: SandBilly Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
JACKSON, Wyoming (AP) — An elk hunter saw his bounty turn into a “friggin’ nightmare” as four carcasses lay for hours in view of a popular trail, prompting complaints from appalled onlookers and one heated confrontation.

The killing of the elk was legal but certainly ill-considered and, many argued, unethical. It has prompted discussions in the community over whether hunting regulations need to be revised to prevent such situations.

The episode started around 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26. Three Minnesota hunters who had been in Jackson Hole for several days spied a cluster of elk on a small island in the Snake River. They squeezed off about seven shots and watched three cow elk and a calf fall.

Soon after, everything took a turn for the worse, one of the men — 79-year-old Bob Geringer — told the Jackson Hole News & Guide.

The elderly hunting party hadn’t thought out how they’d get to the elk, and once they sized up the river flow, they realized they’d risk their lives if they tried to ford it.

Meanwhile, the path along the river began to fill up with Sunday walkers and joggers in numbers that the Minnesotans had not anticipated. Passers-by, including families with children, had a close-up view of the dead elk, their carcasses beginning to bloat in the sun.

A dozen people phoned the Wyoming Game and Fish Department to report what they suspected was illegal activity.

Jackson Hole resident Brad Nielson came upon the scene six hours after the shooting, and it made him hot. Opening fire on a group of elk stranded on a barren island, he told the Minnesotans, was not fair to the animals.

“It’s an ethical question,” Nielson told the News & Guide. “That’s not fair chase, cornering them on an island and mowing them down.”

Nielson, who’s a hunter himself, told the three that they were doing other hunters no favors: “I told them they’d set back years of effort to create goodwill between the non-hunting community and hunters.”

Late in the afternoon, game warden Jon Stephens arrived as Geringer and his crew were still pondering how to reach their downed elk.

“I chewed on them a little bit for the eyesore that they created,” Stephens said. Then he helped them out.

The men obtained a canoe and a wheelbarrow. But the Snake River is running unseasonably swift, and their first attempt at a crossing resulted in a capsize, a soaked Minnesotan and an unmanned canoe being carried downstream.

Stephens could see that the makeshift meat recovery plan was futile, and he instructed the hunters to gut out the animals and then to get back across the river before nightfall.

On the following afternoon the Minnesotans returned, this time with the assistance of a local resident who had a raft. By 6 p.m. — some 33 hours after their gunfire — the Minnesotans’ meat was being rafted downstream toward the ramp.

Reached over the phone, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Director Brian Nesvik didn’t want to comment specifically on the incident because he hadn’t heard the details from his staff. But the former warden agreed on one point: When it comes to hunting, just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

“Hunter ethics are very important,” Nesvik said. “We do have laws that are based on ethics and fair chase, but you can’t regulate all of it. You’ve got to hope that hunters will do the right thing and be respectful of both the wildlife they’re hunting as well as the rest of the public.”

Geringer said that not all of the interactions the veteran hunters had with passersby that Sunday were unpleasant.

“You can’t imagine how many people congratulated us and were happy for us,” he said. “It’s just that the timing was wrong.”
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Anyone familiar with this island?
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Dang River was tougher than those Minnesotan lakes to traverse.
Idiots should stick to Whitetails
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Wanton waste rules should apply.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
It's pretty unfortunate and in my opinion pretty unethical.
Originally Posted by rainshot

It was pretty stupid.
Posted By: Alaskajim Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Not illegal, IMO I'm not even sure its unethical but they should of thought of how to retrieve them before they shot them. GTNP is one of the few Nat'l Parks where we are allowed to hunt, its the law that hunting be allowed there. Jackson Hole if full of liberals, they will try to shut it down, just like they've been trying to. Unfortunately for them, GTNP has to allow hunting. There's already a ton of restrictions for hunting there, now it will get worse.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
A real Minnesota Viking would have swum out there with a knife in his teeth and took care of business.

Pussies.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Shooting them without a plan to retrieve them shows a severe lack of brains. I would not hunt with, or likely even associate with anyone who would operate in such a manner. I'm embarrassed, and hate seeing news like this.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Old guffers shooting em up and then realize they fugged up....
79 yrs old.
Wonder if he was the youngest of the group or oldest.
Veteran hunters.
Ya think by their age they would know shooting something is the easy part then the work begins getting a carcass out.

😄😄😄😄😄
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Ummm I think they did (did you bother to read all of it)
Originally Posted by SandBilly

It was pretty stupid.

Only stupid if those that pulled the trigger weren't willing to get the meat.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

It was pretty stupid.

. Wiling had nothing to do with it, having the means does.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

It was pretty stupid.

. Wiling had nothing to do with it, having the means does.

Okay, I can live with that
Posted By: goalie Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Yeah, we've got our fair share, that's for sure.....
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Zactly, and if that happened in MN, they would have been charged .
Posted By: Seafire Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by goalie

I'd bet they were out of the Twin Cities.... most hunters I met in hunting Northern MN were pretty ethical guys...

not so much with some of the one's I saw from the Twin Cities.... not all of them, but enough to notice a pattern...
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Nollij
Shooting them without a plan to retrieve them shows a severe lack of brains. I would not hunt with, or likely even associate with anyone who would operate in such a manner. I'm embarrassed, and hate seeing news like this.

Check out Minnesota politics if you think what these guys did was dumb.

kwg
Posted By: ERK Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
Need the full story. It’s not wanton waste if you do recover the animals. A boat would do that. You also cannot trap an elk on an island because believe it or not they can swim. They got out there somehow and I’m guessing they swam. A econut writing a story does not make it true. Edk
Posted By: tzone Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
JACKSON, Wyoming (AP) — An elk hunter saw his bounty turn into a “friggin’ nightmare” as four carcasses lay for hours in view of a popular trail, prompting complaints from appalled onlookers and one heated confrontation.

The killing of the elk was legal but certainly ill-considered and, many argued, unethical. It has prompted discussions in the community over whether hunting regulations need to be revised to prevent such situations.

The episode started around 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26. Three Minnesota hunters who had been in Jackson Hole for several days spied a cluster of elk on a small island in the Snake River. They squeezed off about seven shots and watched three cow elk and a calf fall.

Soon after, everything took a turn for the worse, one of the men — 79-year-old Bob Geringer — told the Jackson Hole News & Guide.

The elderly hunting party hadn’t thought out how they’d get to the elk, and once they sized up the river flow, they realized they’d risk their lives if they tried to ford it.

Meanwhile, the path along the river began to fill up with Sunday walkers and joggers in numbers that the Minnesotans had not anticipated. Passers-by, including families with children, had a close-up view of the dead elk, their carcasses beginning to bloat in the sun.

A dozen people phoned the Wyoming Game and Fish Department to report what they suspected was illegal activity.

Jackson Hole resident Brad Nielson came upon the scene six hours after the shooting, and it made him hot. Opening fire on a group of elk stranded on a barren island, he told the Minnesotans, was not fair to the animals.

“It’s an ethical question,” Nielson told the News & Guide. “That’s not fair chase, cornering them on an island and mowing them down.”

Nielson, who’s a hunter himself, told the three that they were doing other hunters no favors: “I told them they’d set back years of effort to create goodwill between the non-hunting community and hunters.”

Late in the afternoon, game warden Jon Stephens arrived as Geringer and his crew were still pondering how to reach their downed elk.

“I chewed on them a little bit for the eyesore that they created,” Stephens said. Then he helped them out.

The men obtained a canoe and a wheelbarrow. But the Snake River is running unseasonably swift, and their first attempt at a crossing resulted in a capsize, a soaked Minnesotan and an unmanned canoe being carried downstream.

Stephens could see that the makeshift meat recovery plan was futile, and he instructed the hunters to gut out the animals and then to get back across the river before nightfall.

On the following afternoon the Minnesotans returned, this time with the assistance of a local resident who had a raft. By 6 p.m. — some 33 hours after their gunfire — the Minnesotans’ meat was being rafted downstream toward the ramp.

Reached over the phone, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Director Brian Nesvik didn’t want to comment specifically on the incident because he hadn’t heard the details from his staff. But the former warden agreed on one point: When it comes to hunting, just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

“Hunter ethics are very important,” Nesvik said. “We do have laws that are based on ethics and fair chase, but you can’t regulate all of it. You’ve got to hope that hunters will do the right thing and be respectful of both the wildlife they’re hunting as well as the rest of the public.”

Geringer said that not all of the interactions the veteran hunters had with passersby that Sunday were unpleasant.

“You can’t imagine how many people congratulated us and were happy for us,” he said. “It’s just that the timing was wrong.”

I’ve never read something more Minnesotan in my life.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/05/21
In my experience elk bloat and the meat sours very quickly if you don't get the guts out right away. I'll bet that meat is rank and they should have to eat it. At least they didn't gun down a pack of Llama's Luke some out of state hunters with cow tags did a while back.

Bb
Posted By: tzone Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by goalie

I'd bet they were out of the Twin Cities.... most hunters I met in hunting Northern MN were pretty ethical guys...

not so much with some of the one's I saw from the Twin Cities.... not all of them, but enough to notice a pattern...

I’d bet money on it every one of them was from the Iron Range. No question about it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
His Butt-Out hat light is awesome
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by ERK
Need the full story. It’s not wanton waste if you do recover the animals. A boat would do that. You also cannot trap an elk on an island because believe it or not they can swim. They got out there somehow and I’m guessing they swam. A econut writing a story does not make it true. Edk

Apparently not one of the so called elk hunters said, "Hold on boys! How the hell are we gonna get them critters across the river and back here where we can eat 'em for supper?"

Nope, they just started blasting away.

El stupido.

L.W.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by RUM7
Dang River was tougher than those Minnesotan lakes to traverse.
Idiots should stick to MINNESOTA
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
In my experience elk bloat and the meat sours very quickly if you don't get the guts out right away. I'll bet that meat is rank and they should have to eat it. At least they didn't gun down a pack of Llama's Luke some out of state hunters with cow tags did a while back.

Bb

This

Surprised they werent charged with wanton waste.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
You guys are unbelievable. (Not all of you.)
Posted By: deflave Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Gotta keep the sport alive.

Get more people afield.

LOL
Posted By: WTF Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
Just flatlanders being flatlanders.
Nothing to see here folks, keep moving.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
What a bunch of idiots.
Posted By: DMc Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/06/21
3 men and a boy skillet shoot into a herd of elk? They're not hunters.
Phuquing squareheads! Seriously though, in any group of hunters from all parts of the country on any given day there will be some bonehead move by one or more individuals. I'd like to think I always did the right thing in all conditions, but I have made a bonehead move or two of my own over the years!
79 yrs old? This doesn't sound like hunting...sounds like cherry picking. At that age, and having come out for 20yrs and not understand the difficulties of hunting anything in the mountains????

I suppose...unbelievable, though. You'd be surprised how many Minn hunters ride their 4x's to their fully inclosed, heated, baited deer stands, and BELIEVE they're hunting.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
79 yrs old? This doesn't sound like hunting...sounds like cherry picking. At that age, and having come out for 20yrs and not understand the difficulties of hunting anything in the mountains????

I suppose...unbelievable, though. You'd be surprised how many Minn hunters ride their 4x's to their fully inclosed, heated, baited deer stands, and BELIEVE they're hunting.

Can't bait in Mn. Legally that is. I'm sure there are plenty that do though.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
People bitch about everything!!!

Think of all the game that gets shot at over 300 yards. Those poor animals did not have a chance. Oh the travesty of it all!

Think of all the game that is wounded and never found. Oh dear those heartless careless hunters.

Get a grip people. The hunters made a mistake. So what!!
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by OldHat

Think of all the game that gets shot at over 300 yards. Those poor animals did not have a chance. Oh the travesty of it all!

Think of all the game that is wounded and never found. Oh dear those heartless careless hunters.

Damn, was it you? 🤣

Damn, was it you? 🤣

I find bitching annoying.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21

Damn, was it you? 🤣

You might be at the wrong place then. Lol
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
One of my friends in Wyoming was originally from Minnesota. Not a super smart guy but gotta admit he is a good union carpenter and without a doubt he would have filled his tag like they did. The difference being we would have recovered those elk easily because that guy was one water handling son of a gun, probably has a boat for every occasion. He would have been flipping off the retard tourons and laughing his ass off. So would I.
Posted By: goalie Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21

Baiting is illegal in Minnesota.

So, by definition, they are not hunters. They're poachers.

And we've got everything from epic deer drives down south that sound like the battle of Gettysburg to stalking in the big woods on a drizzly day and just about putting powder burns on a buck.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
Shooting elk is like walking to the mailbox for your check. Fuq wading, paddling or whatever.

Im sure they were all up on their Covid shots, hence not getting cited for waste....

Damn, was it you? 🤣

You might be at the wrong place then. Lol

Nah, seems the perfect place to bitch about bitching.
Posted By: add Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
You'd be surprised how many Minn hunters ride their 4x's to their fully inclosed, heated, baited deer stands, and BELIEVE they're hunting.

Wrong dummy.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
Posted By: add Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
This sort of reminds me of a case a few years ago. We were hunting in the Sawtooth Nat. Recreation area in Idaho. We were driving on the highway when we saw a game warden and a forest ranger parked between the road and the river. We wanted to talk to the game warden so we stopped. Then we found out what they were doing there. 5 Hispanics had used an atv to ferry the group across the river. One of them had a nice bull down. They got it to the river and used the atv to ferry it across whole. That's where the officers stepped in. The game warden said the elk was legal and properly tagged so he couldn't do anything. However, there are very strict regulations about using off road vehicles in the Rec. area. As soon as the guy hit the bank with the elk, the ranger was on him and cited him for illegal off road use. He also wouldn't let him go back for the other 4. They had to either wade or hike 4 miles to the nearest bridge. It was a steep 4 miles and getting dark. All of them opted to hike. I don't know what happened when it went to court. It's very possible that the judge seized the atv.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
Great post and thanks for it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damn Minnesotans again. - 10/08/21
TEAM 3 Old Farts

That needs to be on the back window of a chevy scottsdale
© 24hourcampfire