Home
Galaxy’s Edge.

If you dig space operas it’s badass. Politically incorrect. First 2 books I was like meh. Persevere. But there is an order the authors recommend reading as opposed to chronological. I deviated for a book or two then Came back. I whole heartedly recommend following their reading order. I’m not done with the series yet but getting close.

That is all.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
I'll check it out, haven't found a good series in a while, thanks for the suggestion.
Dude, lots of books but pretty quick reads. Not high brow by anyone’s standards, but with enough character development I’m like 10 books in.
They tie in current politics without being overt. You can ignore it and appreciate it as a time waster, or be like “fugk yeah”.
The best by far......

https://thekingjamesversionbible.com/new-testament
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
[quote=Happy_Camper]The best by far......

Read it. Lacks action.
Posted By: efw Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
I’m currently listening through CS Lewis’ space trilogy that starts “Out of the Silent Planet”. I’m on the second book “Perelandra” and I’ve em enjoyed it thus far.

Rambles on a bit.

Try JACK VANCE:

Planet of Adventure series...

City of the Chasch

Servants of the Wankh

The Dirdir

The Pnume

Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Eat a syphalitic dick
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
The series Thunder over the Ochoco. Series of the longest indian wars in our country. And a history of the northwest, exploration through the sheep and cattle wars. Great read!

Stephen Baxter:

Proxima

Ultima

Matthew chapter 11

" He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

16 But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,

17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.
20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee."
hard to beat "The Expanse" by James S.A.Corey for a good space opera.

Isn't that in the fiction section under super natural?

No, it's in the "your head is wrapped around a light pole and you're cryin' for your Mommy and you start prayin'" section.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN

Liberal queers are not allowed to post on my threads. Go find something else to infect with HIV.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

No, it's in the "your head is wrapped around a light pole and you're cryin' for your Mommy and you start prayin'" section.

Last time I saw it in a bookstore, it was a couple of shelves down from the Harry Potter series.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Liberal queers are not allowed to post on my threads. Go find something else to infect with HIV.

Are you sure? Seems you are into homosexual behavior but I wouldn't recommend it with someone who has syphilis. Thats kind of a weird fetish.
Jim prefers Islam.
Posted By: natman Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hard to beat "The Expanse" by James S.A.Corey for a good space opera.

Big +1

Just terrific.
The Quran is sitting right next to the Bible on the shelf. I have read a little. I would like to read the whole thing at some point.
Posted By: natman Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
The Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

If you like military SF, this is the series for you. Big galactic political struggles, personal dramas, epic battles, serious kickass female character, military strategy.

Starts with On Basilisk Station.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
The Sword of Truth 👍👍
The hangman's daughter 👍👍
Harry Potter 😂😂
Posted By: Buck52 Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
Wilbur Smith’s “When the Lion Feeds” , “The Sound of Thunder” , and “A Sparrow Falls” is a great trilogy from early days in Africa till after WW1.
Posted By: deflave Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
Nerd alert…
I read the Happy Camper's post 16 through 24, and read it again, so now I guess the question is, is there an English translation? None of it makes sense to me.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. The Prince of Thorns series by Mark Lawrence.
Originally Posted by deflave
Nerd alert…

Devolved into a train wreck.

Bottom line, it’s not weird ass Heinlein or other shidt. It’s very simple, and written in a way that is easy to get. A lot of science fiction is either so fugking weird or so fugking technical guys like me waive off pretty early. If you stick with it and read it I. The order they recommend it’s pretty damn cool.

Anybody interested I hope you enjoy.
my favorite has been corruption in the media by Bernard Goldberg
Posted By: cecilb Re: Book series recommendation - 10/06/21
I liked Daniel Silva's series.
Originally Posted by auk1124
The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. The Prince of Thorns series by Mark Lawrence.

Read the Abercrombie books. Good series. Totally unrelated to the post
Nerd alert…

Bottom line, it’s not weird ass Heinlein or other shidt. It’s very simple, and written in a way that is easy to get. A lot of science fiction is either so fugking weird or so fugking technical guys like me waive off pretty early. If you stick with it and read it I. The order they recommend it’s pretty damn cool.

Gruffy,

Any book series that could get and keep you interested for 10 books must be pretty good.

I ordered Book 1 Legionnaire

🦫

PS

I was shocked you can actually read.

LOL
Prole fiction
[Linked Image from images.critictoo.com]
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by auk1124

Read the Abercrombie books. Good series. Totally unrelated to the post

Try the Prince of Thorns series. It's better than Abercrombie's in some ways.
Posted By: hanco Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
Ian Toll. Trilogy on the Pacific war
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Buck52
Wilbur Smith’s “When the Lion Feeds” , “The Sound of Thunder” , and “A Sparrow Falls” is a great trilogy from early days in Africa till after WW1.

I've read a fair bit of early Wilbur Smith and really liked it. These days, on the rare occasion I get to read, I do find I gravitate more toward science fiction.
Casca The Eternal Mercenary.

Legionnaire who ran the spear thru jesus and swallowed some of his blood accidentally.
Cant die till the 2nd coming and all his histotical events since.

Probably about 15 to 20 books in the series.

2 to 3 hr read each book.

I'll start out with the first three...
Pure escapism, but entertaining & easy reading, the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. About 10 books, as I recall w/o actually going to look.

On a deeper level, the James Clavell series, Shogun, Tai-pan & Noble House, followed by Whirlwind which is related to, but not actually a part of the series. All long books that taking a lot of staying with to get through, not casual reading.

Whirlwind is a great book on it's own; about the time in Iran during & right after the overthrow of the Shah.

MM
Longmire books were a pretty good read.

I'm currently running quickly through some cryptid sci-fi by D.A. Roberts. Fast reading stuff.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Nerd alert…

Gruffy,

Any book series that could get and keep you interested for 10 books must be pretty good.

🦫

PS

LOL

Beaves, stick with it. Follow their recommended order and after a couple books You’ll Be hooked

KTF
Posted By: deflave Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Nerd alert…

Gruffy,

🦫

PS

LOL

I think Gruff reads more than any person I’ve known and it includes a lot of non-fiction/historical stuff.

To you, but for billions of people it was and is absolute Truth.
I could provide books that would provide the results of years of study trying to prove YOUR premise; written by former atheists who changed their minds and realized that they were wrong.
However, it really comes down to this.

https://youtu.be/m8Wy75mgIUY
The Quran is sitting right next to the Bible on the shelf. I have read a little. I would like to read the whole thing at some point.

Of course you would. Just like your "experiment" receiving anal sex.
Posted By: hanco Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
I like the Harry Bosch books.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
The Liberation Trilogy: An Army at Dawn, The Day of Battle, The Guns at Last Light
Rick Atkinson
Posted By: ISRO Re: Book series recommendation - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[
Of course you would. Just like your "experiment" receiving anal sex.

You're too old to be talking like that!
Travis McGee out of John D. MacDonald.
Posted By: tzone Re: Book series recommendation - 10/08/21
Look into Dr. Seuss. Green eggs and ham is a good one to start
© 24hourcampfire