Home
First of all I have a hard time turning to these battery tools but I was wondering if one of the chainsaws makes the cut literally? The purpose is to throw in the truck, many times I am 20-30 miles deep and run across fallen tree, or when I am cuming back. Recommendations?
S.
Milwaukee, It’s a great saw.

Better than a gas Stihl….
For that kind of use, they're great. Just be sure to keep the battery charged. I also suggest wiring an inverter into your vehicle to recharge it.
The right ones, Milwaukee / Stihl are excellent. For what you are looking for, near perfect.

WS
Read the reviews on Amazon
Get a 40v + and a spare battery, and you'll be good. You're not going to fell a redwood with one, but they can handle a small tree no problem with a couple of batteries.

The smaller 20v ones are great for limbing or making a few cuts through a tree, but heavy cutting runs them down really fast.
Thanks, I’ll shop around. When I need one I need one.
I have a 60v dewalt 16in bar with 3 of the 6amh batteries and 2 chargers. I use this for storm damage mostly and have cleared trees all day with this saw. I'm hard on tools but I give this 5 stars. Here's a couple pictures from last Friday.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_0482_copy_480x640_copy_360x480.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211006_082445_copy_2000x1500_copy_500x375_copy_450x338_copy_441x331.jpg
20 Volt 12 inch DeWalt saw here, it works well.
Another with a 60v Dewalt,
I don't use it alot ,but so far so good.
Clearing down falls and trails, and 2 batteries.
Purchased a Kobalt a few years back. Works OK on small limbs (3”), but otherwise is a POS.
My Echo battery is the first saw I grab for jobs expected to be over in less than 30 minutes. When the battery needs to be recharged so do I. But if the tree is over 10 inches in diameter most likely I’ll grab my Echo gas model. The battery saw will cut larger logs but it really saps the juice out of the battery.
Milwaukee rules the recharge capable/electric world.

I’d not bother with anything else.
For better or worse most of my stuff is Dwalt because that’s what I’ve been gifted with but I’m willing to pick up another tool manufacture as well.
I have used an electric pole saw. Had about a 6 or 8" bar. It had instant touque and I cut a bunch of limbs without running it down. It had a sharp chain and cut almost instantly through 3 and 4" oak limbs.
For the small stuff it is hard to beat a sawsall, I had a battery powered saw and my results were the same as Dan's.
Originally Posted by smallfry
For better or worse most of my stuff is Dwalt because that’s what I’ve been gifted with but I’m willing to pick up another tool manufacture as well.

Milwaukee is it.

Same for impacts.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
My Echo battery is the first saw I grab for jobs expected to be over in less than 30 minutes. When the battery needs to be recharged so do I. But if the tree is over 10 inches in diameter most likely I’ll grab my Echo gas model. The battery saw will cut larger logs but it really saps the juice out of the battery.

Same here Snow, much better than I could have imagined. My FIL has that saw that MPat70 mentioned, that saw has more power.
I’ll get dewalt, because I already have dewalt tools
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I love mine, it works like a charm.
Bullshit.
When Newsom bans gas chainsaws in Kaliphornia in 2024...I will drive out of state to replace those that I have.
Same with blowers, whackers and generators.
I refuse to drive an electric vehicle as well.
Screw you green phfucks.
Lol
I don't have a battery chainsaw. My Stihls are gas but I don't typically pack them. For the small stuff that falls across the trail, I use a Sven Saw that conveniently I always carry and have no battery/fuel concerns. Not to dissuade you from a battery saw but I'd consider backing it up with the camp saw if you run into a big job and need to ration your batteries.
My 20V Dewalt 12" works great for small jobs and a couple of the 6Ah batteries would more than work for what you need. I hardly ever use my gas saw around the house any more.
My wife wanted a battery chainsaw, so I got her a Stihl with a 14” bar. I made fun of it for a while, but started using it. Got a lot of use out of it today. It won’t replace my Stihl Farm Boss or the MS250, but it is very useful.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Bullshit.
When Newsom bans gas chainsaws in Kaliphornia in 2024...I will drive out of state to replace those that I have.
Same with blowers, whackers and generators.
I refuse to drive an electric vehicle as well.
Screw you green phfucks.

Who are you talking to?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/a28522787/battery-powered-chainsaws/
I run Makita on all my jobs so I went with the Makita saw when we are roughing beams etc. It’s a solid saw with no problems so far.
I have an 80v Kobalt. When I got it, I needed it now and it was the only one left in town during the Christmas rush. It's not bad. The Dewalt might be better but the Kobalt did come with a quick charger that charges at twice the speed of the Dewalt.

Note that you can't charge them in temps below 32F. That will screw up Li batteries. Some, like the Kobalt, have automatic switches on the chargers that won't charge when it's that cold. You can run them in any temps but keep the charger in the house when it's below freezing.
I had a McCullough in 60s.
I had a Stihl in the 80s and 90s.
I have had this Dewalt 20 Volt for 4 years
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLI0VRM

Good one!!
😂
I heard JimFromTN has one of those 80V ButtPlugs. You might ask him how the battery holds up under heavy use.

There is a part II to this video if interested.
I have quite a few of the Ryobi 18V tools. One of those is a little 10" chain saw. It sucks in some applications. It doesn't have much velocity, so if the limb or whatever you are cutting is light enough to move under the saw, it bounces. So if you wanted to cut a 2 inch limb growing over a trail, it would be a bitch.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

How long will that dewalt go and whats its limitations. I thought about getting one for small quick stuff around the house.

My buddy as the 60v craftsman and its been great, used it a ton, it does leak a lot of bar oil though with no adjustments that we can find.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Good one!!
😂

What I was thinkin.
Sandbilly like to make funnies.
Lol
12" 20V DeWalt. Perfect for what it gets used for: Trimming and pruning. It makes the trip to hunting camp just for those reasons and has proven to be a pretty good tool. 5Ah batteries last about 45 minutes with steady use, like cutting six to eight inch pole logs for camp firewood.

Have Stihl gas saws for the big chores, so no need for a larger battery powered saw..
bought a trimmer rebuild kit, it included carb, spark plug 2 sets of: priming bulb, fuel line, pick-up body, gaskets, air filters $16 delivered.

compared to a replacement lithium battery $60+
I use a Dewalt 20v 12" for smaller limbs, a 10" 80v pole saw attachment on my trimmer for pruning and an 80v 18" Kobalt chainsaw for bigger stuff. For occasional use, I love 'em. Just keep the chains sharp, batteries charged. Less mess, less noise, less repair (so far), push a button and have at it. I'm done screwing with gas saws.
My wife got me a little Stihl saw to put in the camper , we use it to cut campfire wood, wish I had one for the last 30 years, great little saw, very handy.
I have a cousin in La. that is doing a lot of tree and limb clean-up after Hurricane Ida. He’s using his “way above it’s pay grade”.....he’s very impressed. He’s using the Dewalt 12”

After watching a bunch of You Tube videos comparing various saws.....we just bought the little Dewalt 20V Max XR. It seemed to be the best “bang for the buck”! I did so small limb removal.....it worked great. I will be testing it out on a 16” to 18” Russian Olive soon......that should be a real test for it! memtb

I have a 40v Ryobi and a pole saw attachment. Pretty happy with it for general use. I don't cut down big trees anymore but its more than adequate for 6 in branches.
Originally Posted by memtb
I have a cousin in La. that is doing a lot of tree and limb clean-up after Hurricane Ida. He’s using his “way above it’s pay grade”.....he’s very impressed. He’s using the Dewalt 12”

After watching a bunch of You Tube videos comparing various saws.....we just bought the little Dewalt 20V Max XR. It seemed to be the best “bang for the buck”! I did so small limb removal.....it worked great. I will be testing it out on a 16” to 18” Russian Olive soon......that should be a real test for it! memtb

A few years ago I took out a Russian olive that had been dead for a few years. That took some serious cutting. The chain quality is the issue there, more than the power source.
The Milwaukee saw is great for what you described, I wouldn't want to try and cut firewood with it though
Milwaukee is in a class all by itself when it comes to cordless tools.
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

I think this review (and part 2) is what I watched before buying mine. As I recall, the Dewalt 16" was rated the top saw until Echo came out with their 58v 16" which slightly outperformed the Dewalt. I bought the Echo and so far am happy with my choice...
Originally Posted by Dude270
The Milwaukee saw is great for what you described, I wouldn't want to try and cut firewood with it though

Thinking this ^^^^ good for what they are dont over expect..
I don't personally know about the cordless ones but the guy I use for tree work has a handful and speaks highly of them.

As for corded electric - Mrs. Geno wanted a chainsaw but couldn't crank one so I got her the cheapest 12" worx brand from one of the big box stores. My limb saw wouldn't crank one day so I started using that thing to see how long it would take to kill it. I had 20 tonnes of water oak on the ground at the time. It made all the small cuts for those 5 100' tall, 48 dba trees. I started buying good chains by the ten pack for it. Last summer I had another one of those massive water oaks put on the ground and a live oak about half that size. It's made all of those small cuts as well. I have no idea when it will die. I put my limb saw back in the dark corner of the shop and only use the husky rancher 455 when I need big cuts made. That 100 clam 12" worx handles stuff up to about 18" like it was made for it.
This'n been workin great for keepin our apple and sugar maples from gettin unruly. Never used any bigger tho.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I bought an electric pole saw for pruning the orchard (a dozen trees). For a 1 day/year deal, I didn't want to mess with batteries so I just got a cheaper corded one and roll the generator out when I do the work.

I watched that battery saw comparison video that was posted earlier. He didn't say much about the chain quality and that's one of the biggest issues. A saw with a junk Chinese chain just isn't going to get it done.
Originally Posted by pahick
This'n been workin great for keepin our apple and sugar maples from gettin unruly. Never used any bigger tho.

That little Milwaukee "Hatchet" is handy for small limbs and roots. I use one volunteering on a local trail maintenance crew and have cut 8+" stuff in a pinch. It takes a while but gets through. With the 6ah battery it runs a long time. Wish they were 18 volt like their pole saw the extra power would be nice. The m18 pole saw is awesome for limbing! The 18v Hackzalls with carbide blades get called in for dirty root removal. The Milwaukee chainsaw works well but is on the heavy side for packing in a long way, the Husky's save some weight. One the lookout for a used Stihl to try, the cost of a new one is excessive for a volunteer job:).
Originally Posted by tkinak
Originally Posted by pahick

That little Milwaukee "Hatchet" is handy for small limbs and roots. I use one volunteering on a local trail maintenance crew and have cut 8+" stuff in a pinch. It takes a while but gets through. With the 6ah battery it runs a long time. Wish they were 18 volt like their pole saw the extra power would be nice. The m18 pole saw is awesome for limbing! The 18v Hackzalls with carbide blades get called in for dirty root removal. The Milwaukee chainsaw works well but is on the heavy side for packing in a long way, the Husky's save some weight. One the lookout for a used Stihl to try, the cost of a new one is excessive for a volunteer job:).

I find it invaluable. Used to take a gas back in huntin, but last couple years just throw this in the truck and head back in. Ill be screwed if somethin big falls before I get back out but ive been lucky so far. The only time it struggled was on our one cherry tree. Bear got in and broke a bunch of limbs. Half way through cleanin it up I said screw it and took it down. 10" and still green but it didnt heat up, which surprised me. Good little unit.
I have a 60v Dewalt and have been very impressed. Bought it to keep in the UTV to clear trails mostly. Lots of dead elm has fallen and its went through everything Ive tried it on. You can replace the chain with an Oregon if if wears out. Great tool for its purpose.
There is a place for battery chain saws, but they will never replace gas saws if you cut lots of wood, in my opinion. I generally do three to four cords per year for home use. Have another half cord of 16" dead locust to cut, haul home and split, then I'm done for this fall.

Going back to spring of 2020, the 12" DeWalt 20V has cut up over 3/4 cord of firewood at camp and plenty of other work at home. We use about a half cord each year at camp for fall/winter hunting seasons. A lot of the trees we cut at camp were dropped with a Stihl MS250 and my son helped trim them out with the DeWalt, while I trimmed with the Stihl. Went pretty quick with two saws doing the de-limbing.

Much of that camp wood was hauled back in 4' logs and eventually cut to 12" chunk stove length with the DeWalt.

Have two new Oregon chains for it that are still in the packs. Haven't yet touched the chain that came on it and it's still throwing chips after two seasons. Including trimming out the limbs from a big maple dropped at home this summer.. Also have a double sided hedge trimmer that runs on those 20V batteries and is a dandy.

I use ethanol free gas in all my 2 stroke stuff now and haven't had any more issues with bad fuel lines. Downside, that gas is now over $4 a gallon.
I have no need for a chainsaw anymore (finally and thankfully), and not long ago I would never have considered getting an electric one if I again needed one. A while back, maybe a year and a half ago, I bought a a lawn mower, hedge trimmer and weed wacker, all Sthil and all battery operated. After having used the stuff for a year and a half or so, I would never go back to gas for that kind of stuff. I have since decided that if I needed a saw, just for homeowner-type use, I would probably get an electric.
I have two gas chainsaws but when we go Turkey hunting I use an ego electric to not spook the birds if we have to clear a limb or small tree. Also use one of the mini electric if it a small piece for removal or cutting brush out of the road for the side by side. Love them but not as much s the gas ones but they do have a place.
We have an Ego which works great for our modest needs.
If you're heating with wood, I'd recommend gas. For most other people, electrics are the way to go. No gas to haul around, no winter maintenance, capable of cutting anything that most guys need cut.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought an electric pole saw for pruning the orchard (a dozen trees). For a 1 day/year deal, I didn't want to mess with batteries so I just got a cheaper corded one and roll the generator out when I do the work.

I watched that battery saw comparison video that was posted earlier. He didn't say much about the chain quality and that's one of the biggest issues. A saw with a junk Chinese chain just isn't going to get it done.

my local shop will make up a chain for any size you want. he has a couple of spools H-50 and some others..
[
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Cool comparison video. I will add that my DeWalt came with a fast charge (yellow) charger, cutting the charge time down to around 30 minutes.
Teaser ^^^
It's Echo.
Originally Posted by deflave
Milwaukee rules the recharge capable/electric world.

I’d not bother with anything else.

Cuts the fugk outta iguana carcasses

LOL

🤣

….

If you don’t use it a lot and for a living, then this will be good for you. I like that you don’t have to mess with the gas and oil and maintenance like that. But I’ve had my Milwaukee for two years now and it’s been great.
Electrics? Nope.

Big Bads from the 1960's, I use them often. "Muscle Saws".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I use Stihls also.

Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Clarkm

How long will that dewalt go and whats its limitations. I thought about getting one for small quick stuff around the house.

My buddy as the 60v craftsman and its been great, used it a ton, it does leak a lot of bar oil though with no adjustments that we can find.

I run out gas before the battery runs down.
I have modified the oil cap.

I keep spare chains and do not sharpen the old ones.

Under ground, cutting 1' fir roots, I can dull a chain in a minute in sandy soil
Used my smaller Husquarvana saw abut 5 times, and I am on my third battery. Amish retailer gave me #4 battery today. I told him there is a short in the saws that kills the batteries I think. Anyway it has been a pig.
It does cut well, and for light work like trimming it is a nice tool.
Bought the Stihl last year and have used it a lot. It will not run with gas for really big jobs, but the shorter the job, the better. As a test I cut a 60+' birch about 16" diameter. It limbed and cut the whole tree on 2 battery charges. A sharp chain and good oil ensures solid performance.

I have a bunch of different gas saws and they all lost playing time to the battery
Cabrolet,
Awesome pics of some old saws.
Got 3 10-10's in the shed. 2 run, the other has good compression, just
never sussed out why it won't start. One is a backup/pinch saw.

Got an Echo 370. Dad bought it for $2, soaked the bar/chain in the parts washer for a few weeks to loosen the rust. Gas in it, runs fine. He gave it to me when I ask to borrow a toy saw for a couple yard jobs.

Love that thing for yard work. Never ran a little saw like that before.

Grew up running pro-saws.

Can't imagine liking a battery saw.
But can see how they would be useful.

Personally, I've given up on batteries.
Just too much trouble with them.
I bought the dewalt 12 inch and the pole saw last night.

That wet heavy snow we had did a lot of damage. I used them today. Added oil, snapped on a battery and went to work. I like them.
© 24hourcampfire