Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
Never took it, didn't miss much.

Hell, most of what I need I learned by 8th grade.
Maybe earlier.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
Amazingly I use geometry every day. The purest of all!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
Reminds me of the grind I went through trying to balance equations in Chemistry I & II - Ugh.........
Posted By: slumlord Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
2 yrs in high school
1 semester “at university”

Your mind probably uses it more at the subconscious level.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
2 yrs in high school
1 semester “at university”

Your mind probably uses it more at the subconscious level.

True.
Algebra is about the process.

As for geometry, never took it either.
But general math at the lower grades covered the basics of those, and Trig.

My hardest math class was 8th grade.
Didn't know it, but it was pre algebra.
Never considered myself smart, dam sure not college material.
Took general math from then on. Never learned anything more.

When the kids were in 1st and 2nd grade, their math was the simple
addition and subtraction. But, the format for their homework was to
present the problems in algebra type problems.

Blew my mind, but it was great. As they progressed, nothing was
new. Just a continual building on a foundation. They have never had
common core stuff, it is only taught at below average classes here.

I've seen common core.
If you think adding to subtract or multiplying to divide is nuts,
You should see a 5th grade kid draw a box, put a cross in it,
use tic marks and numbers on the lines, then mark out numbers and
add stuff up.

All to get the answer to a problem that us old farts learned in our multiplication tables.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
Once in a while maybe.

Math in school.....physics and chem ( 1 and 2 ) in college was OK. Statics, dynamics, fluid power, machine design...good enough.

Thermo sucked azz

Calc 1 was good, when I was in Calc 2. I suppose if I took Calc 3 my Calc 2 would have gotten decent LOL

Had enough of that BS
Posted By: hookeye Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
We put men on the moon w slide rules.

This new wave math chit, catering to less than 2% of the populations learning style, while making a mess of the other 98% is beyond stupid.

All my kids took AP crap in HS and hell the books half the time gave no clue. It was all cosmic pull it out of your azz stuff.

Hell if they did Jap shortcut stuff thatd have been cool.

I got th right answers, when helping my kids, doing it the old way, way faster...

and I hadnt done that crap for 20 yrs.

My kids were stunned, right answer fast. But not the way the teacher wanted

I asked was the goal.the right answer or not?

Teach said no, the method is what they were teaching.
My reply was " what good is the method if they cant get the right answer ?"

Deer in the fuggin headlights.

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Once again!!!! - 10/15/21
I used trigonometry daily for a couple of decades.

But don't recall ever using algebra.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I did a couple months ago, seriously.
But damn if I can remember wtf the problem was.

Oh well.
Posted By: goalie Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Math teachers you how to apply logic to problems in a systematic fashion.
Posted By: krp Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I try to use the word cornucopia every day since I had to learn to spell it in school... but there's only so many ways you can use an old goat horn...

Math I use every day, fixing architect's F'ed up CAD drawings.

Kent
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by krp
I try to use the word cornucopia every day since I had to learn to spell it in school... but there's only so many ways you can use an old goat horn...

Math I use every day, fixing architect's F'ed up CAD drawings.

Kent

Architects work in the wrong scale too. wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I unraveled an ownership question via a "mixture problem" approach and the attorney and landman who had been fooling with the problem thought I was a magician.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I beg to differ..
Every soldier who served in Vietnam had to understand Y=mx+b
The equation of the slope.,
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Math teachers you how to apply logic to problems in a systematic fashion.

Taught me how to cuss.

Hated algebra. Gave me gray hair.

Then post grad Optometry school. Had to learn how to use a slide rule for physical optics, theoretical optics, physiological optics, light wave optics, psychological optics, geometrical optics, asswhole optics. Crap.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I use algebra every day from squaring walls, figuring out square ft of hip roofs and gables to flooring, ceilings and walls, angles of crown molding, etc....

Now could I tell you the name of the Theorem's? Heck fire no! I just know what I'm doing requires algebraic equations. But I've been doing them for so long it just comes second nature. Like knowing the multiplication table up to 20. Because every residential carpenter is constantly measuring the square ft of things.
Posted By: pal Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Actually using algebra eventually becomes so automatic that we may not realize we're using it at all. Whenever we look for the unknown we're using it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
In one form or another I probably used Algebra, geometry or trig daily in tactical aviation
In later aircraft the computers pretty much do all the “cyphering” for you but in the F-4 and to some extent in the F-14, you had to figure out lateral displacement and altitude split of an inbound bogey using angle off the nose, antenna angle and range, etc

E.g. if the bogey is 1 degree above you at 60 miles, he’s 6000’ higher than you. If he’s on a parallel flight path and he’s 20 degrees right at 20 miles you’ve got about 40,000 feet or 6 1/2 miles of lateral separation. Plenty of room to make a rendezvous turn if it’s a tanker or join up if you’re trying to ID the other guy even in the clouds.
It got to be second nature even at 500 kts. It’s even more fun at mach +. 😁
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Algebra?? Two years of it but all I needed to make $$$$$$ was this:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by .com/photos/61286670@N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Algebra, geometry, trigonometry no problem, have used them all over the years. Calculus was another story, but survivable and used occasionally early in my career. Differential equations is where it gets flaky - and triple differentials kicked my ass! B.S. and M.E. in engineering piled that stuff on.
Posted By: EdM Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
My enjoyment of math in high school led me to a degree in ME taking graduate level math as electives. An experimental class by my favorite math Professor just worked.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by .com/photos/61286670@N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

I'll bet the guy/guys that designed and built that airplane used algebra, geometry, and calculus.

I got a EE degree back in the 70's loved the math until it got to calculus, hated that with a passion, never used it in any of my jobs but id did use the other maths.
Posted By: mathman Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by AZmark

I'll bet the guy/guys that designed and built that airplane used algebra, geometry, and calculus.

I got a EE degree back in the 70's loved the math until it got to calculus, hated that with a passion, never used it in any of my jobs but id did use the other maths.

I don't understand the "until it got to calculus" part. In an engineering curriculum the first math taken for degree credit is calculus.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
When is the last time you heard someone say “Calculus really helped me out today.”

It is as common as someone saying “sure I got shot with a 380, but it didn’t hurt!”
Posted By: AZmark Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by mathman

I don't understand the "until it got to calculus" part. In an engineering curriculum the first math taken for degree credit is calculus.

I only went through algebra in high school and had to get trig/geometry out of the way first. This was the 70’s. Had to go to a junior college first before admitted to a university. ACT scores in math were too low.
Posted By: poboy Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Pie are square,
Posted By: milespatton Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
I did not think that I would ever need it while I was taking it. Then I got a job surveying, and as I moved up the ladder from a laborer, pulling a chain, and chopping brush, I used it a lot. Surveyed for 37 years, so it did come in handy. Ya never know what is down the road. miles
Posted By: Seafire Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
My story is the opposite of everyone else it seems..

In high school, I took advanced math classes.... Took two levels of geometry and 6 Levels of Algebra.,

our school district was ranked 20th in the nation, and my high school was ranked academically number one out of 17 High Schools in the District.
West Springfield High, Fairfax County VA.. graduated 1970.

The District had a shortage of teachers, due to growth in the county, especially for math. Most of the math teachers at my high school were retired military officers, and we addressed them by their rank., Colonel Lundberg, Major Gannion etc... all older guys of course.

While Trig and Calc were required, we were short the teachers, so they ended up assigning you, by a "lottery system"...

sad thing seemed to be tho, everyone that wanted to take Trig and Calc, weren't selected and everyone who wanted to avoid it like the plague, got selected.

I was disappointed I wasn't selected....

Got into college and never used any of it ever again.....nor after college either...

Was thinking about just taking some classes on line, to relearn many lost academic skills I use to have, that I don't and haven't used for decades...

Keep my mind motivated and active, to keep alzheimers at bay, or at least to pretend to...

example, I use to be fluent in German, and would think in German even.... also did pretty well in French....took two levels of French in High School, and 6 levels of German in High School... now I can trip thru some French if I read it can still figure some of it out... enough to get in trouble.... German, now I can only understand what I call TV German, in War movies... Hande Hoch Schweinhund! Mach Schnell dumkopf.. heck I can't even spell German any more... Scheissgemacht!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by poboy
Pie are square,

No. Pie are round. Cornbread are square.

Kidding aside, we use algebra every day in it's practical form, at least mentally. It can be doing something as simple as merging on to a highway.

Unfortunately, most math teachers have a real tough time with the "practical application" thing.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
SOHCAHTOA!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Algebra, 2x X = 4, what is X. Easy, advanced algebra, a whole different story.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

My Dad was an engineer for Consolidated Aircraft in Ft. Worth during WWII. His group balanced the mockup of the B-36 bomber. Asked him how they did that and he said lead weights and slide rules.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Once again!!!! - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
Once in a while maybe.

Math in school.....physics and chem ( 1 and 2 ) in college was OK. Statics, dynamics, fluid power, machine design...good enough.

Thermo sucked azz

Calc 1 was good, when I was in Calc 2. I suppose if I took Calc 3 my Calc 2 would have gotten decent LOL

Had enough of that BS
I took 3 semesters of Calc in college. It was all theory. At the end, I had no idea what it was used for. Years later, I considered going back to study engineering and needed to brush up. A college instructor friend gave me a Business Calc book that a salesman had given him. It was full of practical examples. The light clicked on. So THAT'S what this stuff is for. If they'd teach that in the basic classes, calc would be far easier and more understandable.
© 24hourcampfire