Home
https://dailycaller.com/2021/10/17/...use-united-states-department-agricuture/
Read about that yesterday. Pretty interesting. Hope it works out.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21
It is rather frustrating to see sky high beef retail prices when the producer's market is flat.

I forget what current packer profit margins are but it's sickening.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21
Awesome. First plant is supposed to be in Nebraska and slaughter 1500 cattle a day.
You can still try and buy from your local producer and go through a local locker.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It is rather frustrating to see sky high beef retail prices when the producer's market is flat.

It's a little on the high side eh!
I needs to. Hope it does.

The packing company mafia has been making all the $$$ in the past couple of decades.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The packing company mafia has been making all the $$$ in the past couple of decades.

Well...they are gonna break a bunch of folks this year.

Hopefully the big packers can then own the cattle start to finish...like chicken and pork.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hopefully the big packers can then own the cattle start to finish...like chicken and pork.

Maybe states need to start their own meat inspection.

The USDA is complicit in that sale of meat in the US.

Unless it's imported of course.. There's no telling what kind of kangaroo azz holes people eat from imported meat.

No fuggin' reason in the world we ought to be importing meat. None.
Yes. USDA inspection is a terrible burden to overcome for the small processor and producer.

The big packers love all the rules and regs....because they purchased them.
Yes. USDA inspection is a terrible burden to overcome for the small processor and producer.

Yep.

More weaponization of federal regulatory agencies.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21
I’ve seen farmer owned grain elevators, soybean and corn processing plants that failed miserably. Maybe this will work, but a1500 head a day processing plant is one sixth or less than some of the big beef processing plants. Volume drives efficiency.
If they’re asking for investors, I’ll run from it.
Posted By: logger Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21

It happens in every heavily regulated industry. We always called it regulatory capture when dealing with utilities and public utility commissions.

Maybe states need to start their own meat inspection.

The USDA is complicit in that sale of meat in the US.

Unless it's imported of course.. There's no telling what kind of kangaroo azz holes people eat from imported meat.

No fuggin' reason in the world we ought to be importing meat. None.

This
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve seen farmer owned grain elevators, soybean and corn processing plants that failed miserably. Maybe this will work, but a1500 head a day processing plant is one sixth or less than some of the big beef processing plants. Volume drives efficiency.

Efficiency isn't everything. That's how you got mechanically separated chicken and pink slime.

I sold fat beef for 4.50. The small processor cut it up and the customer picked it up.

We all made a little money.

In the article I read they know that 1500 head a day is small. My understanding is that the investors are ranchers who know their future is on the line. It is do or die.

If the investor is a cattle grower then they can make money in higher live cattle prices Meaning the profit in the business does not have to be as great. It is a classic case of taking the middle mans cut.

I'm not in this business so I don't know if this will work or not, but I SURE hope so.
Tillamook cheese is a cooperative business. They seem to do well.
Originally Posted by OldHat
Tillamook cheese is a cooperative business. They seem to do well.

Nonsense.

They don't produce as much as Kraft so therefore they must be going bankrupt.

Profit driven AG is almost unknown by Production driven AG standards.
I'm just thankful our operating expenses are way down....lol
I'm just thankful our operating expenses are way down....lol

Oh yeah.

Mine are too....

Fuel and feed especially... whistle
Our in the collective sense!
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21

Figure I have been hearing is 400%.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21

Government regulation and insurance requirements are the main reason most businesses go under or never start up.
Originally Posted by 45_100

Last article I read, said the packer is selling a prime steer for around $3200. The farmers was getting about $1800 for the animal. The article said the packer would historically make about $400 per head for processing the animal, not $1400.
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Last article I read, said the packer is selling a prime steer for around $3200. The farmers was getting about $1800 for the animal. The article said the packer would historically make about $400 per head for processing the animal, not $1400.

That's close enough for this kind of work, with your figures.

Local packer charges about $300.

Here in Texas, we have state meat inspection for custom kill packing companies. Problem is, USDA won't let you sell the packaged meat, either wholesale or retail.

If states would pass legislation that state raised meat could be slaughtered, state inspected, and sold within the state, that would jerk a knot in the tails of the meat mafia.

One of the local processors(nonusda) told me that he applied for some grants to help get him usda complaint. He said the government is recognizing the need for USDA shops.

The USDA shops around here, are booked out upwards of 1-2 years. One of the most respected shops in the area is forsale because the owners went to work for the USDA as inspectors.

Here in Texas, we have state meat inspection for custom kill packing companies. Problem is, USDA won't let you sell the packaged meat, either wholesale or retail.

If states would pass legislation that state raised meat could be slaughtered, state inspected, and sold within the state, that would jerk a knot in the tails of the meat mafia.

I'm talking about the big guys Cargill, JBS, etc. The local shops around here are in the $.70-1.00 per pound range

I'm talking about the big guys Cargill, JBS, etc. The local shops around here are in the $.70-1.00 per pound range

The local packers here charge the $300 for killing and hanging on the rail.

They charge 75-80 cents a pound for complete processing. Cut, wrapped and frozen.

The big packers don't do that. They usually sell quarters or halves.

My family owned a packing company when I was growing up. I grew up cutting meat, started on the kill floor when I was 12.

We could custom kill all we wanted, but customers wanting to buy a half a beef, cut wrapped and frozen had to place an order, and we'd get a delivery from the big packer once a week.

That big packer beef was all we could process and sell retail. Sold a lot to restaurants and supermarkets too.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/17/21

Efficiency isn't everything. That's how you got mechanically separated chicken and pink slime.

I sold fat beef for 4.50. The small processor cut it up and the customer picked it up.

I hope this endeavor succeeds. But I'm pessimistic.

First job I had out of grad school was peddling catfish for a startup processor in Southern Texas. Now, Texas consumes 40% of the catfish in the country, has a longer growing season which makes each pond 20% more productive, so it stood to reason in my naive economist mind that I was getting in on the ground floor of a great opportunity.

The big boys in MS, AL and AR simply outbid us on every contract and customer we went after. I'll never forget the HEB buyer beating us up on price, size spread and delivery times, saying "but XXXX can do it..". Sure they could. HEB was more than 50% of our sales, and 2% of XXXX sales. They could afford to thump us in one market, never showed up on their bottom line.

Took three years for the thing to go dead nuts broke.

If these guys want to succeed, they better have a big user, like a Costco, or even a Whole Foods, in their pocket for a large majority of their sales, or the ADM's and Cargills will own them before the decade is half done.
There is a local guy who raises beef, and does the butchering.

$3.25/lb swinging.
Covers cut, vac seal, quick freeze.
Was gonna buy a half, but our freezers are full, and deer season is just
getting going.

One of the few times buying from a farmer/market works well here.
Most try to screw you blind with the superiority of their product.
Direct sales, often cash, and they want quite a bit more than store prices.

This guy is doing some work, investing a bit, but doing better
than $.90/lb on the hoof. Minus auction fees and hauling.

He does better, the buyer does better.
The big guys get cut out, maybe the tax man gets stiffed?
Now that's a thing of beauty.
Originally Posted by Dutch

I hope this endeavor succeeds. But I'm pessimistic.

First job I had out of grad school was peddling catfish for a startup processor in Southern Texas. Now, Texas consumes 40% of the catfish in the country, has a longer growing season which makes each pond 20% more productive, so it stood to reason in my naive economist mind that I was getting in on the ground floor of a great opportunity.

The big boys in MS, AL and AR simply outbid us on every contract and customer we went after. I'll never forget the HEB buyer beating us up on price, size spread and delivery times, saying "but XXXX can do it..". Sure they could. HEB was more than 50% of our sales, and 2% of XXXX sales. They could afford to thump us in one market, never showed up on their bottom line.

Took three years for the thing to go dead nuts broke.

If these guys want to succeed, they better have a big user, like a Costco, or even a Whole Foods, in their pocket for a large majority of their sales, or the ADM's and Cargills will own them before the decade is half done.

I suppose that's why Gabe Brown is struggling so bad.....
Too much federal government is always the problem. No reason states shouldn’t help themselves (their citizens) out by making it as easy as possible to have local farm to table. I’d love to see some of the “Free” states start to pass laws that assist the local growers and producers. Lots of Farm stands in my neck of the woods. Shockingly enough every local grocery store imports 100% of its fruits and vegetables during the local growing season. Go to the store in august and the tomatoes are from California. We grow the best tomatoes in the country and the local producers can’t even get a spot in the store. It’s silly. I feel bad for you ranchers. I’m lucky enough to have a butcher that purchases local beef so in a small way, I’m helping out the local economy and the meat is way better than anything I can get in a local grocery store.
“The Biden Administration announced last month that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will provide $1.4 billion to smaller meat producers hurt by rising meat prices during the pandemic.“

Another tax payer funded bailout…..
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
I don't understand the quote.

Smaller meat producers hurt by rising meat prices?
Posted By: Hastings Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Not too many decades ago every town had a local meat packing plant and meat locker. Now very few are left. Onerous USDA regulations pushed by the big meat packers put them out of business. Same thing is being done to local banks by the big banks. Legal fees and compliance is tough when you're up against well connected big business. We can thank both political parties.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Used to be several small packing plants here
close where you could buy a big chunk of beef
dirt cheap and a bucket of blood to make catfish
bait with

“The Biden Administration announced last month that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will provide $1.4 billion to….

If that same sentence ended in……to provide $1.4 billion of taxpayer money to GM or Tesla or “Green Energy” or virtually any other private industry there would be a hell of a lot more indignation here.

I guess welfare is ok as long as it goes to the people or groups of people we like. 😉
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
All I'm wondering is how producers are hurt by rising prices.

I am not hurt, just missing out.

No subsidy needed but I'll take it. I work for my welfare damnit...lol
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

“The Biden Administration announced last month that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will provide $1.4 billion to….

If that same sentence ended in……to provide $1.4 billion of taxpayer money to GM or Tesla or “Green Energy” or virtually any other private industry there would be a hell of a lot more indignation here.

I guess welfare is ok as long as it goes to the people or groups of people we like. 😉

I like steak a lot more than an electric car
Posted By: CowEater Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
How many times now have we tried to get the govt to look into/break up the packing house monopoly? Only to be brushed off and told there's no issue?

Typical, (govt)throw some money at it and hope it goes away...
Used to buy chicken from an outfit call Zaycon.

You’d place an order ahead of time and pick up your meat at a pre arranged local spot. Church parking lot or whatever.

Big reefer truck pulls up, cars lined up, drive through and show them your order invoice on your phone, they’d load you up and you drive away.

They did a bunch of chicken, ribs, bacon, etc…..
They went tits up a few years ago. Not sure why.
Seems like a hell of a business model in the time of the Cov-craziness.
There was an outfit named Future Beef that built state of the art beef processing plant in Arkansas City, Kansas in the early 2000s. They spent millions on top of millions and a lot of producers went in on the deal. It didn't make it but 2 or 3 years. I hope this deal goes better.

Edited: I looked and a Creekstone outfit now has Future Beef facilities and is handling high end Angus cattle and Duroc hogs.
Posted By: viking Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
The Hutterites should be all over this
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
I didn't realize how much beef was being imported until a few weeks ago ,

''''The United States imports beef from places like Australia, Canada, and much of Latin America. It then runs that beef through a USDA inspection and, if it passes, sticks a label on it that reads “Product of the U.S.A.”'''
Originally Posted by ol_mike

''''The United States imports beef from places like Australia, Canada, and much of Latin America. It then runs that beef through a USDA inspection and, if it passes, sticks a label on it that reads “Product of the U.S.A.”'''

Just goes to prove how crooked and corrupt the USDA is.
Posted By: CowEater Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21

That's why we've been pushing to bring back "COOL", Country of Orgin Labeling.
The Globalist minions running DC will squash this with regulations.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by reivertom
The Globalist minions running DC will squash this with regulations.

That's how they roll and why the USA produces less & less .
You can still try and buy from your local producer and go through a local locker.

Almost every small slaughter facility within 150 miles of us is booked into September of 2022!!!
Some are even farther out.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by CowEater

Because more government regulation helps the little guys, right?

I have to deal with this bull crap over the next year and a half. Yeah, sure, I have time to keep track of where every single effing fish came from over its entire effing life. What the eff am I supposed to do? Put every effing one in an effing goldfish bowl with an effing number on it so I can tell the effing government where every single one came from? The reduction in efficiency that regulation implies is effing mind boggling.

I hope I wasn’t unclear.....
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Almost every small slaughter facility within 150 miles of us is booked into September of 2022!!!
Then they should raise their prices.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21

South American has several major world beef producers.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

That is good to hear.

I have to deal with this bull crap over the next year and a half. Yeah, sure, I have time to keep track of where every single effing fish came from over its entire effing life. What the eff am I supposed to do? Put every effing one in an effing goldfish bowl with an effing number on it so I can tell the effing government where every single one came from? The reduction in efficiency that regulation implies is effing mind boggling.

What do you import? Processed or live fish?

Ear tags dummy.

Ear tags dummy.

Rolling......

For some people the answers just aren't obvious.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by Hastings
There was an outfit named Future Beef that built state of the art beef processing plant in Arkansas City, Kansas in the early 2000s. They spent millions on top of millions and a lot of producers went in on the deal. It didn't make it but 2 or 3 years. I hope this deal goes better.

Edited: I looked and a Creekstone outfit now has Future Beef facilities and is handling high end Angus cattle and Duroc hogs.

Local shop sells some of their meat. Spendy, but it is quality. I’ve never had a bad steak from them.
Posted By: killerv Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
We have a local producer that reached out to the UGA extension office and next thing you know they spearheaded the idea to build a processing facility on his property. Went from him having to drive long hours taking cattle to get processed, go back and pick it up, etc. Now I dont know what he charges others to have their animals processed by him or how all that works. but I'm sure a lot appreciate having someone close by to do this.

https://ent.uga.edu/news/story/8684/Rocking-Chair-Ranch.html
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Used to buy chicken from an outfit call Zaycon.

You’d place an order ahead of time and pick up your meat at a pre arranged local spot. Church parking lot or whatever.

Big reefer truck pulls up, cars lined up, drive through and show them your order invoice on your phone, they’d load you up and you drive away.

They did a bunch of chicken, ribs, bacon, etc…..
They went tits up a few years ago. Not sure why.
Seems like a hell of a business model in the time of the Cov-craziness.

I’d venture a guess that they went out of business, cause they were not making money.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21

For animal based COOL, it should be cradle-to-grave, not just the last 30-60-90 days to be "USA Produced". That's just my opinion as nothing more than a consumer. I have nothing to do with anything on the production side.

Then source your fish domestically or label them all as imported.

Not to be a dick, but who cares about farmed fish as a human food source anyway? That’s cat food.
Posted By: wytex Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21

Actually the Texas inspected meat can be sold in state, just not cross state lines. Buy it all the time when we're down there.
There's been talk of a fairly large packer for local but probably small compared to the big companies coming into the idaho falls area. They are going to do beef and bison at about 500 per day.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/...aho-falls-next-year-will-bring-200-jobs/

Bb

Ear tags dummy.

Why did I not think of that? You’re a genius! wink.

This is what we use to identify brood stock :

https://www.nmt.us/visible-implant-elastomer/

FDA be having a bit of a fit if we sold those fish......

our problem is that the government will be requiring not just COOL, but full traceability for every fish coming through a processing plant. Thing is, we’ll get fingerlings or fry from different sources, both domestic and overseas, depending on the time of year (spawning season is opposite down under, for example), but those fish end up getting mixed in a tank or raceway when the tops of one cohort catches the bottoms of the previous cohort. We end up with a couple of thousand runts that need a little more time to finish, so they get combined so they don’t take up a full raceway.

Then, when those fish go to the processing plant, for example, they get pushed through the plant with loads from three or four other farm sites, and those fish get sorted by size to fill a particular order. Out of a 20,000 lb processing day, there may be orders that need fish from all the shipments to have enough, and a few from the previous day. The very concept is beyond idiotic. Unmanageable on the farm, unmanageable in the plant. But, here we go.........
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Th

Not to be a dick, but who cares about farmed fish as a human food source anyway? That’s cat food.

Bless your heart......

You would probably not be surprised if I told you Montana is not a hot market for us. That’s ok, we’ll probably make it anyway.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/18/21

Ear tags dummy.

No more slippin' a can of kippered snacks in a shirt pocket if'n they gotta be ear-tagged. Tags are near as big as the current can.

Plus the tagging would probably kill them and they wouldn't be able to swim well if it didn't. End up with a buncha crooked fish from swimming like a Halibut.
Originally Posted by wytex

Actually the Texas inspected meat can be sold in state, just not cross state lines. Buy it all the time when we're down there.

Actually, it's a bit deeper than that, and way more complicated.

As I mentioned, a custom kill packing company cannot slaughter meat for retail.

Some state approved plants can slaughter for retail, and the plants not only have to meet USDA standards, but the one I was experienced with ,and had a good friend who was their meat inspector there, were actually slaughtering under USDA standards. The inspector himself worked under USDA regulations and stamped the slaughtered beef halves with the USDA stamp. I asked him how he could do that if he was a state MSA inspector, and he said the state upheld USDA standards, and after he qualified for USDA standard meat inspection, the plant was authorized to sell meat.

https://dshs.texas.gov/meat/grants/inspection.aspx

Meat Safety Assurance in PHR 1

The PHR 1 Meat Safety Assurance program regulates 9 Texas inspected meat and poultry establishments. Texas inspected plants combine slaughter & processing of beef, swine, lamb, goats, and occasionally other species. Inspected facilities also produce beef and pork into products for wholesale distribution. There are inspected establishments in these cities: Amarillo, Boys Ranch, Lubbock, Post, Shamrock, Slaton, White Deer, and Wolfforth. "Texas Inspected and Passed" products are for "Intrastate Sales Only", and cannot be sold in commerce outside of Texas.

MSA regulates 11 custom exempt establishments. Custom exempt plants slaughter and process beef, swine, lamb, and goats without inspection. These products are marked "Not for Sale" and cannot be sold in commerce. Products derived from animals slaughtered without inspection must be returned to the owner of the animals for his/her personal use. CE plants are located in Amarillo, Earth, Hereford, Littlefield, Muleshoe, Perryton, Seminole, Texline, and Wellington.

MSA regulates 1 establishment in Amarillo through a cooperative agreement with the federal inspection system. This establishment is a slaughter and processing plant, primarily distributing beef, pork, and poultry products bearing the federal mark of inspection. Products bearing the federal mark of inspection can cross state lines into interstate commerce.

The Meat Safety Assurance workforce in PHR 1 consists of an MSA Program Veterinarian, one Inspector VI, one Inspector V, and 6 MSA Inspector IV(s). The Inspector IV(s) perform the daily inspection procedures in inspected establishments across the region. Three additional Inspector IV’s provide daily meat and poultry inspection to inspected establishments in Midland, Odessa, and Alpine.

https://dshs.texas.gov/region1/msa.shtm

That was a pretty rare operation as well. They slaughtered deer (Axis) for making retail orders of venison, and preparing jerky, smoked sausage, etc.

They had a USDA inspected mobile kill plant. They would take it on the ranches for processing the axis deer. Per federal law, the meat inspector had to witness all phases of slaughter, including the killing. Deer were killed at night with a spotlight and suppressed .308 with head shots.

They would load the deer into the mobile kill trailer, and the process would begin.

Might be why venison is so damned expensive in a restaurant. wink

State of Texas would not let them kill native deer. Only exotics, as it's against state law to sell regulated native wildlife.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Th

Bless your heart......

You would probably not be surprised if I told you Montana is not a hot market for us. That’s ok, we’ll probably make it anyway.

Well...since cool is too heavy handed....we might as well buy Chinese.

It's cheaper anyway.
Posted By: CowEater Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/19/21
I knew the COOL comment would rattle the cage..LOL

The talks about bringing it back would be for beef and pork so yall hang onto the fish ear tag money a bit longer...

In an ideal world NAFTA never would of happened and the packing house monopoly would of been broken up but alas here we are.

After NAFTA, imported beef increased by 150%+ and via the big packers. If I remember right, IBP? importing from Brazil is a big chunk of it. Mentioned before, the loophole in COOL, even though the beef was imported because it was processed in the US it received an US label.
New talks are looking to close that loophole. However, at what cost?
Traceability doesn't come without its costs, another cost for the producer which may take quite a bit of time to absorb. It comes with a lot of hurdles depending on what kind of operation you're running.

I guess there had been some studies done in the short time COOL was in effect and supposedly a few of those studies claimed consumers didn't care about country of orgin. I highly doubt it. Goes back to follow the money, I wonder who funded the studies? Yet COOL was eliminated due to discrimination against CA and M labeled meat. I believe CA meat has a label of orgin, apparently one sided?

In all honesty I'm mixed on COOL. It's a band aid on NAFTA and the packing house monopoly the govt is looking the other way on and its not going away.(globalization)

I hope they build the kill house in Idaho Falls. They are working on the one Agri-beef is building in Jerome. 500 head a day. 370 jobs. Supposedly "producer owned". We will see as the details were pretty vague. But still a closer smaller option.
I’m a fan of CoOL simply because as a consumer, I want to know where the product I feed my family originated and was processed.

Direct to consumer marketing seemed to be getting big a couple decades ago in the fish industry. Though it feels like it’s fizzled a bit.

I remember the price Ocean Beauty used to pay for salmon was a [bleep]’ joke. Quite a few boats were trying direct to consumer marketing but it’s a schit ton of work that many operations didn’t have the time, man power, or knowledge of how to exploit.

Looks like beef is there now.

More and more adds pop up on my innerwebs feed for premium products right from the growers and ranchers these lately. The cost is prohibitive to many consumers though.
Exactly. Why not let the consumers know where there beef comes from??

You know with pork and chicken.

I suspect its because the big packers own the chicken and pork from start to finish.

The WTO decided that COOL was no good. For Beef anyway.

The Canadians threatened to cry for years if we implemented COOL.

The Canadians should not wish it was easier....they should wish they were better.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/19/21
Tour on the farm, city boy, "if that's were milk comes from, I'm not drinking it." laugh
The ranchers build a $300 million dollar facility. Great.

Now they still have to compete with IBP or whoever in the grocery and wholesale market where the big packers have established relationships along with shipping and sales channels. And now the big packers will be happy to buy even more Canadian and Mexican cattle at a cheaper price point, run it through their facility, and slap a USA label on it?

If US producers don’t find some alternate avenues into moving their product, I can’t help but think it’ll fail. Farm to table is a neat concept, but it ain’t gonna fly in today’s world, especially for bigger outfits with huge herds and overhead.

Painted Hills seems to have had success doing it. There must be others?

Good buddy out here has been in meat sales for 20 years. He recently got a couple partners together and they are looking into starting their own custom meat business………buying and selling foreign beef. ☹️ Some fancy wagyu schit. Sounds like they’ll just get in primals and custom cut for restaurants.
Posted By: CowEater Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/19/21
Agri-beef (Idaho based company) has exceeded their capacity at their Washington facility hence why they are expanding and building the new facility in Jerome, Idaho.
So the demand for a smaller more local option is there.
Agri-beef isn't backyard small but it's small potatoes compared to the big three, ConAgra, IBF and Cargill which control over 80% of the market.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tour on the farm, city boy, "if that's were milk comes from, I'm not drinking it." laugh

Haha!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/20/21
Hook up with local custom butcher, sell steer with a butcher appointment. Together, both of us win $$
Posted By: Chisos Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/20/21
Awesome. First plant is supposed to be in Nebraska and slaughter 1500 cattle a day.

That's until you find out they've staffed it all with Somali's.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/20/21

Tried to get two of my young bulls slaughtered in March and had to wait till September to get them in. Around here our local lockers are over run with work.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/20/21
All I'm wondering is how producers are hurt by rising prices.

I am not hurt, just missing out.

No subsidy needed but I'll take it. I work for my welfare damnit...lol

Work? HA!

Riding around in a fancy "farm" truck looking for COCK is work?

Did you shoot a deer yet? Save some feed for your cows ya' know.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ranchers--I hope it works - 10/20/21
That's what we do... Beef comes from only 20-30 miles away, processed by a meat market in a small town... Same with pork - it ran about $2.25/# this last spring..
© 24hourcampfire