Home
Posted By: Hubert e- bikes - 10/19/21
Does anyone on here have an electric Bike? which is the best to buy? I want one.
Posted By: ribka Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
yes. what type of use and budget?
Posted By: Whiptail Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21

The mid-drives are a lot better than the hub drives but they also cost a lot more like $3K+ for a good bike. However, you can build your own and get as good or better for half the price. This guy has a bunch of good videos.
Posted By: dale06 Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Saw some Quiet Cat E bikes at Scheels tdy, $3000. Don’t own or want one.
Posted By: add Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Hope this means you are getting OFF the road.

cool
Posted By: deflave Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by add

cool

Everybody thinks you’re a dork until you explain you got three DUIs.
Posted By: Hubert Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by add

cool

I never got any DUI... where do you get your info . or are you just making chit up to make me look bad.. I spent most of my life in the military protecting ball of chit like you... maby I was wasting my time doing it.....
Posted By: xxclaro Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by add

cool

I never got any DUI... where do you get your info . or are you just making chit up to make me look bad.. I spent most of my life in the military protecting ball of chit like you... maby I was wasting my time doing it.....

And we're off....
Posted By: xxclaro Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
There is a member here who builds his own, and really nice ones too...goes by the handle granitestate1
Posted By: add Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by xxclaro
There is a member here who builds his own, and really nice ones too...goes by the handle...

gunwizard?

blackheart?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
I need one.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DMc Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
I had a Trek E-bike but it was a Pedal-assist, not a full electric. Charge time was about 4 hours which gave you an hour of riding. It was heavy and hard to pedal when the battery ran down.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Mike_S Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
They are all over Florida. Mostly older people. My buddy works the emergency room in Bradenton and sees a lot of injuries.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/19/21
If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Dean
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
This is the finished product with two 1500 watt motors one front one rear for a total of 3000 watts and a 60 tooth crank gear set, "it came with a 32" it does 50 mph plus with my 300 pounds my buddy who is 150 pounds hit 60 mph before we ran out of road.
the rear motor is a motorcycle type throttle and the front motor is a ATV type throttle the range is over 50 miles. they only thing left is to clean up the wiring a bit.

I cant seem to post the pics I can send them in an email if some one can figure it out.
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
I use mine to rehab my ankle and lower leg after a motorcycle accident. It gets me out of the house and I ride it on the town's bike path. If I hit a hill that cause a little pain, I use the petal assist and when I have gone farther than I should have the battery gets me back home.
The motorcycle riding is over- I came out lucky. Also, if you haven't gone 20 mph on a bicycle - you need to because it feels fast! wink
Posted By: ldholton Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
A bike for lazy pha&&gs
Posted By: deflave Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by add

cool

My joke had nothing to do with you, but I am quite certain that you are an idiot.
Posted By: deflave Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by ldholton
A bike for lazy pha&&gs

Oh my.

We got us another tough guy.

LOL
Posted By: KFWA Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
I've watched a few of those videos on how to convert a bike, there are 3 variations of chain drive and direct drive setups. If you want a relatively short range and a chain drive rig where you lose half your gears on a mountain bike you can get by with a few hundred dollars.

The direct drive setups can get up to around $900 or so for a high quality kit with good batteries.

I toyed with the idea but I'd be more interested in the build than the actual use.

They only thing that is not as up to par as I would like is the brakes, between my 300 # and the bike at 100 # those brakes were never made to stop 400 pounds going 40 - 50 mph. I will have to see what is available to upgrade them.

Dean
Posted By: callnum Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by ribka

ebikes are for out of shape old guys. Figured you would have one.
Posted By: centershot Re: e- bikes - 10/20/21
Giant makes the best cheap one. Used to be called Dirt E, not sure what it's called now.
Mine cost me $2500 although I had to assemble it it took me 4 hrs

Dean
Posted By: ribka Re: e- bikes - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by ribka

ebikes are for out of shape old guys. Figured you would have one.

Has BHA banned deer hunting in Montana and Colorado yet cal dumb?
Posted By: IZH27 Re: e- bikes - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by granitestate1
They only thing that is not as up to par as I would like is the brakes, between my 300 # and the bike at 100 # those brakes were never made to stop 400 pounds going 40 - 50 mph. I will have to see what is available to upgrade them.

Dean

High end mountain bikes are using hydraulic 4 piston calipers. TRP is a good brand along with Shimano and SRAM. A set designed for downhill bikes might work well for that setup.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/23/21
They are already ordered,
The brakes that were on there were the ones that came with the Mongoose Dolomite.

Dean
Posted By: IZH27 Re: e- bikes - 10/23/21
Which brakes did you end up with?
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/23/21
XTECH
Catazer MTB HB 100
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Here we go the new brakes cut the distance in half. the crank gear is now a 60 tooth it came with a 30

Attached picture IMG_0576.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0574.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0572.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0575.jpg
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
I bought one for Laurie for our anniversary a year and a half ago. I have piddled around on it. It's great. I had never ridden one. I giggled my ass off when I first rode it. You can set it anywhere from zero assist all the way up to about 400% assist, so you can get as much exercise as you want. It allows her and I to ride together. Without her electric assist, I wouldn't get any exercise when we ride. With it, she can hang with me and get a workout too. She smokes me in the mountains. I paid $1800 for this one. It's a Civia with a Bosch motor. Civia has since gone out of business.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: deflave Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
I know a guy that bought one of these for shed hunting. He raves about it.

https://arielrider.com/products/grizzly

I’ve thought of buying two for the kids. Then I can have the Ruckus to myself.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
We also have these they are fold away ones, both fit in the back of an SUV they are light compact and do 25 mph and 25 miles range

Attached picture IMG_0489 (4).jpg
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21

They make those sound really good. Could you get a solar battery charger for them that would work while you're out hunting away from the bike all day?
Posted By: reivertom Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by ldholton
A bike for lazy pha&&gs

Oh my.

We got us another tough guy.

LOL

Yeah....an "Ultra Man" keyboard commando.
Posted By: deflave Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2

They make those sound really good. Could you get a solar battery charger for them that would work while you're out hunting away from the bike all day?

I couldn’t say. He lives in Vermont so only had short outings for experience.

Think four hours or so.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
There are two types, pedal assist and what boils down to an electric motorcycle. There are sheetliads of out in So CA. I don’t have one, I. just see them all over, they/e motorcycles usually don’t follow traffic rules and are obnoxious as hell.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I couldn’t say. He lives in Vermont so only had short outings for experience.

Think four hours or so.

I'd have to throw a long cable lock through the spokes of both wheels for security because it sounds like it might be too heavy to throw over the bank into the brush to hide for the day.
Posted By: slm9s Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Santa Cruz VP-Free with BBSHD. Easy to build yourself. Find a 10 year old downhill bike and in 2 hours you'll have a great ebike.

Originally Posted by slm9s
Santa Cruz VP-Free with BBSHD. Easy to build yourself. Find a 10 year old downhill bike and in 2 hours you'll have a great ebike.

Don't like the ergonomics of that style. I must be getting old.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21

My sister bought one and I rode it down the street and back this Saturday. It was a hoot and now I want one. The really funny part is when I was riding back I passed a guy who looked just like Lance Armstrong.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Posted By: Dan_H Re: e- bikes - 10/25/21
Bought the wife a Rambo Rambler. small 20" fat tire ebike.
Fun as hell to ride - it is 1.2 miles to mail box and back and I usually make two to three trips just to get the dogs good and tired.
my peddle cadence is about the same as I would on my trek fat tire bike but the ebike is going 20mph. One ends up riding farther and getting more exercise just because of the
grin factor.
Trying to decide which one I will get for myself. Fat tire and full suspension are two of my criteria
Not sure what the status of the bill is but one has been floated to give credit on your taxes about the same % as putting in a solar system.
Posted By: RandyR Re: e- bikes - 10/26/21

What does a kit like that cost without the bike?
Posted By: slm9s Re: e- bikes - 10/26/21
$660 for the bbshd at lunacycle, $470 for the bbs02 which may be enough for smaller riders. Plus a battery.
Posted By: DMc Re: e- bikes - 10/26/21

Really curious what the cable going up to seat is for?
Posted By: Strider1 Re: e- bikes - 10/26/21
Posted By: slm9s Re: e- bikes - 10/26/21
Its a dropper seatpost. For actual mountain biking, when going steep downhill you can lower the seat so you can get your butt behind the seat so you don't go over the handlebars. For all other riding, the normal high seat position gives efficient pedaling. The cable goes to a thumb switch on the handlebar that actuates the seat movement. Once you ride with one its hard to go without one.
© 24hourcampfire