Home
Posted By: Big Sky BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Said no one ever to this salmon...well, unless it was in reference to whatever was on the end of your line.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: SandBilly Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Great pic.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Dang!

Toothy.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
I'm thinking it's a female.
Posted By: Springcove Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Those are some serious Chicklets…
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
It'll smoke just fine.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
A waders worst fear.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Would one wear a protective cup inside your waders?!
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Chums are the hardest fighting Salmon by far.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21

It's a spawned out male sockeye.

Chrome sockeye on a fly rod are the hardest fighting salmon.

Smoke that fish? Not a chance - I'm a fish snob and have standards.
Posted By: DMc Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Was that caught in Jurassic Creek?
Posted By: boatammo Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
If You want good smoked fish you have to start out with a GOOD fish!!!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Great pic.

Absolutely
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
AKCHOPPER: I have caught a LOT of Chum Salmon and have to disagree with your contention.
By FAR the greatest fight I have had with a Salmon was a 72 pound chrome bright King Salmon I caught in the Marmot Bay area of Afognak Island, Alaska!
I am comparing my experiences pound for pound (Chums vs. King), time of fight compared to size - and then strength and tenacity.
By the way I have caught Chums in both salt and fresh water in Alaska and Washington states.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Big Sky Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
For the record this is a freshwater landlocked kokanee salmon. He is not spawned out yet and was caught at the inlet into the lake before he had a chance to move up the creek to spawn. Took the picture in a just couple second. Turned him upright and sent him on his way. As for eating or keeping, it's not a factor in Utah where I caught him. It's illegal to posses kokanee salmon from Sept. 10 to Nov. 30 in Utah. You can catch them, but all must be released. As kokanee go he is pretty good sized which run a lot smaller than their ocean going cousin the sockeye salmon.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
I'll agree with AKCHOPPER. pound per pound, chums pull harder than any other salmon.
Reds are tough and acrobatic, kings are strong and their size can make for a hell of a fight, silvers are fun, Pinks are a pan in the a$$, but chums are all of the above.

Cool pic Big Sky.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
I can say without any reserve that kokanee are the hardest fighting salmon in Utah...
Then again they are the only salmon in Utah... wink grin
Posted By: kolofardos Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Strider1 Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Big Sky, you need to come up and visit us here in Ak. Time it right and we can tackle all 4 salmon species in a day.
Posted By: reivertom Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
These salmon memes mean nothing to a Kentucky boy.....I do like the one with the catfish.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by Big Sky
For the record this is a freshwater landlocked kokanee salmon. He is not spawned out yet and was caught at the inlet into the lake before he had a chance to move up the creek to spawn. Took the picture in a just couple second. Turned him upright and sent him on his way. As for eating or keeping, it's not a factor in Utah where I caught him. It's illegal to posses kokanee salmon from Sept. 10 to Nov. 30 in Utah. You can catch them, but all must be released. As kokanee go he is pretty good sized which run a lot smaller than their ocean going cousin the sockeye salmon.

Give me hell if I am incorrect..

Isn't the correct terminology, "... is a landlocked sockeye salmon, which are known as kokanee." There's not really non-landlocked kokanee. And saying "kokanee salmon" is redundant.

Some spawning of salmonids occurs outside of tributary streams, including in lakes and dare I say even the ocean. Don't know if that pertains to this population... Some die before spawning, some live longer afterwards than typical... Messy fish biology stuff. Smoked reds can be pretty darn good.

Queing Geno.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
358Norma_fan, I like the way you think. I've been to Alaska twice. The last time being last summer and both trip to Alaska were nothing short of epic. The first trip was to hunt bear with one of the regulars here at 24hour. The second trip was a halibut, rockfish, salmon trip. Alaska definitely gets deep into one's soul. Love your amazing state!!!
Posted By: Big Sky Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
From the research I did kokanee are often what small sockeye are referred to as, or what the land locked version of the sockeye are referred to. You will almost never hear of a kokanee referred to as a sockeye in their land locked waters. In big game terms kinda like brown bear vs grizzly bear.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Big Sky
From the research I did kokanee are often what small sockeye are referred to as, or what the land locked version of the sockeye are referred to. You will almost never hear of a kokanee referred to as a sockeye in their land locked waters. In big game terms kinda like brown bear vs grizzly bear.

A small, medium or large non-landlocked sockeye is NOT a kokanee, ever. The phrase used, "a freshwater landlocked kokanee salmon" is like saying the fish is a salmon salmon. Redundant. That's all. No biggy. No further inference...

A kokanee, even from a naturally isolated population is still genetically a sockeye. The Grizzly is most typically considered as a genetic subspecies of the brown bear.

Surely some fisheads have intermixed the gametes of the two versions of the sockeye and achieved a sockeye. I can not imagine collecting sperm from a grizz or brown. I'll stay in the truck and watch.

Geno?
Posted By: kevinJ Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
Why is that barracuda red?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
Stream shark?
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: BITE ME!!! - 10/20/21
Steelhead same same rainbow trout

Kokanee same same sockeye
© 24hourcampfire