Home
Posted By: rem141r Knee shots - 10/21/21
Got the first of 3 today of Euflexxa. doc said it works. anybody have it?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
I had a few of the "chicken grease" ones, Synvisc.

Worked pretty well but then because it didn't work so well for some folks my insurance declared it "experimental" and wouldn't cover it again.

Eventually, it just got replaced with aftermarket parts. OEM was done worn out.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Takes a few days, but I could move better with first shots. Some years it worked, other years not so well. I did it maybe 8 years? Had to chuck the OEM and get all titanium replacement.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
doc also said he could try plasma replacement therapy. costs 300 a pop so he said try this first. headed for replacement one of these years i'm sure.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Worked on and off for about four years. Bionic x2 since 2/14/20. Those injections really helped out until I was wo out.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
you guys that got the replacement, is it normal-ish or still limited?
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Really very normal for me. You must prove to yourself they are fine and stop being afraid you’ll hurt them. You won’t. But I won’t climb ladders and I’d have a hard time changing a flat tire. Being down on your knees is painful.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
My first series was the 3 injection Euflexxa , then I changed insurance and now I get 1 injection of Monovisc. Both are every 6 months.Both seem to work for me and cuts the pain about 75%, except when twisting and that still says OUCH. I won't get a replacement. Most of the acquaintances I know that did so did not come out good.

I already have a replaced should and I am not satisfied with it. If these surgeons had their way, I would get two knees, one hip, and 3 back surgeries.The heck with that.

Do not do any joint replacements unless 100% required
Posted By: Terryk Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by rem141r

I walk with a slight limp after 6 months. I was 100% dedicated doing PT every day. Progress was slow but steady. It does not flex as far as the other knee and it feels stoved. I think it will get to 90% maybe of my old knee. Old knee was really painful, this one is currently better than the worn out knee, and I expect it will be about max at Christmas. For me it was time. Glad I had it done now under 60, than at 70. I am in pretty good shape and have always walked a lot. I hear being fit before the surgery helps. Kinda hard to walk a lot on those bad days to get ready though.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21

AMAZING... SIMPLY AMAZING!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I had a few of the "chicken grease" ones, Synvisc.

Worked pretty well but then because it didn't work so well for some folks my insurance declared it "experimental" and wouldn't cover it again.

YEPP... dang insurance games.

My doc found a work around...

I forget exactly, but maybe I did a lot of billable visits for "analyses" or something... after they pinged Cigna for enough coin... the Euflexxa was gratis.

I might have that wrong, it has been 2 years.

Anyway, for me... GREAT GREAT stuff... I would pay for it out of pocket if it gets denied next time (if I happen to need it again).

P.S. A few weeks AFTER your 3rd shot is when you can truly understand my opinion... it took a while to "settle in".
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Knee shots - 10/21/21
Euflexxa did nothing for my wife. She had TKRs in both knees and can now hike all day.

mike r
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Zilreta
Time release over several months up to a year
Posted By: specialK Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I get a replacement Tuesday
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21

I’m always the one-off guy.

Cortisone did nothing for me. Euflexxa made my knees hurt more.

Went TKA and wish I had done it sooner. I have NEVER talked to anyone who had new knees or hips that said they wished they waited longer. crazy
Originally Posted by specialK

I hope you got a bike 2 months ago and wore it out! 👍😉
Posted By: slumlord Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21

Oh Lodd Jeebus they gots that covids on the therapy bicycle handlebars

Tyrone Porkbone be doing a shît job of disantfectin it
Posted By: hanco Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Mine has had a little tweak for years, worse some days than others.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21

Double TKR's 4 years ago. Flexibility not what real knee joints produce, but not too far off. I'd say the 90% # is about right. Mine feel like a million bucks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I need some help.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I need some help.

Ya mean with your knees? 😁
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Cortizone about three years ago in the left knee and made it until hunting season this year. Too sore to ignore so I got another shot. Have now packed three animals out of the rocks slides I hunt, up to 90 pound packs. Drug a deer a half a mile. When it works it is awesome.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I need some help.

Yes.
I have not been able to do a deep knee bend for twenty years.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My first series was the 3 injection Euflexxa , then I changed insurance and now I get 1 injection of Monovisc. Both are every 6 months.Both seem to work for me and cuts the pain about 75%, except when twisting and that still says OUCH. I won't get a replacement. Most of the acquaintances I know that did so did not come out good.

I already have a replaced should and I am not satisfied with it. If these surgeons had their way, I would get two knees, one hip, and 3 back surgeries.The heck with that.

Do not do any joint replacements unless 100% required

^^^^^
Fact
Posted By: Huntz Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I got a Synvisk two weeks ago in my right knee.It makes quite a difference.I had those shots for 3 years before I had my left knee replaced.Wish I would not have done that.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I had surgery ten years ago to repair three meniscus tears.Knee has been bothering me much of the year.Had an MRI and they found these issues

Problems: M25.562 Pain in left knee, M94.262 Chondromalacia, left knee, S83.422A Sprain of lateral collateral ligament of left knee, initial encounter, S83.232A Complex tear of medial meniscus, current injury, left knee, initial encounter
MRI LOWER EXTREMITY WO/DYE MRI Lt knee performed on 8/10/21 Radiology Imaging Impression: 1. Complex tear of the medial meniscus posterior horn/root junction with inferior flap tearing of the medially extruded body. 2.Tricompartmental chondromalacia as above. 3. small joint effusion.

The Doctor gave me an injection two months ago with this medication
Kenalog Marcaine

My knee hasn't felt this good in years

I had an appointment this week and asked the Doctor how long the shots last.He said it varies.Some only get relief a month or so,some up to a year.I was afraid I was going to have surgery again,but I'll keep taking the shots as long as they help me.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I need some help.

Yes.

Genicular nerve Radio frequency ablation

6-8 month pain relief

but you have me on ignore so GFY
Posted By: blairvt Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Adults are having a serious conversation. Can't you just STFU? I believe in respecting my elders, but most elders are also wiser. You went a different direction. If anyone needs ignored its you
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Yes, it works quite well for me.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I had them and didn't do a thing for me. But everybody is different.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21

What is Eufexxa intended/expected to do for you?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21

I can bend my left knee, the original one, so that my heel hits my ass.

I can bend my right knee, the aftermarket one, so that it comes about 4" away from my ass.

Other than some minor aches and the fact, as gkt5450 pointed out, that you WON'T want to kneel on a hard surface I'd rate my replacement as higher than "normal-ish".

Before replacement, even with shots on occasion, it was not always fun hunting. After surgery, as in within a few month, I was climbing hills in AZ with a rifle and 20lb day pack looking for elk.

Most days now I don't even notice it's different from the other....................................until I go to kneel on a hard surface.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Cortizone about three years ago in the left knee and made it until hunting season this year. Too sore to ignore so I got another shot. Have now packed three animals out of the rocks slides I hunt, up to 90 pound packs. Drug a deer a half a mile. When it works it is awesome.

Eflexxa is not cortisone. It is a lubricant
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by slumlord

Adults are having a serious conversation. Can't you just STFU? I believe in respecting my elders, but most elders are also wiser. You went a different direction. If anyone needs ignored its you

Fouck off little Mickie
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Eflexxa is not cortisone. It is a lubricant

I never got the impression that he associated cortisone with the Dr Mercola crap you received.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

What is Eufexxa intended/expected to do for you?

It replaces the natural joint fluid that is produced by the cartilage - primarily hyaluronic acid.

It offers shock absorption and lubrication in osteoarthritic knees that have little to no cartilage.

There are other synthetic joint fluids available. Ortho docs seem to only use one and not have the other brands.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
The injections may relieve the pain caused by deterioration of cartilage secondary to age/injury but the damage caused by weight bearing continues. TKR and aggressive PT provide a more long term solution for many. My wife had a good surgeon and attacked her PT like a spartan and now is pretty active and can hike all day. She is 74 y/o. She does strength, mobility and cardio training 6 days a week and is determined to stay active. She uses trekking poles when hiking and is slow downhill but has done 8 mile days in the mountains this year.

mike r
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Good on her Mike.

wish I had her resolve on the strength and cardio training. I do it less frequently, as in when I remember.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The injections may relieve the pain caused by deterioration of cartilage secondary to age/injury but the damage caused by weight bearing continues. TKR and aggressive PT provide a more long term solution for many. My wife had a good surgeon and attacked her PT like a spartan and now is pretty active and can hike all day. She is 74 y/o. She does strength, mobility and cardio training 6 days a week and is determined to stay active. She uses trekking poles when hiking and is slow downhill but has done 8 mile days in the mountains this year.

mike r

Once your cartilage is gone,no PT will replace it.You can build up muscles to help though. Besides the injections I do about 10 minutes a day on the stationary bicycle. The help I get from the injections and PT convinced me to forgo any surgery at this time. To me the benefits of surgery do not out weigh the risks. No, I can't walk 2 miles anymore and climb mountains. The surgeons I talked to says some get immediate relief,some in 2-3 week, some none. However,it sure is worth the try instead of surgery.If the injections don't work,you can always fall back on surgery but if the surgery gets screwed up you are pretty much SOL. Any doctor worth their salt will always exhaust all options before surgery. Replaced joints can wear out too.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
If you can't walk 2 miles, then you should really consider surgery. At the point you can't hunt, then you have to roll the dice and try surgery. I had mine done this year and it was a huge PIA, but I take the lab on regular 3 mile hikes in the forest. Time is the limit there, not my knee. In last 2 months, I missed about 3 days walking.
Posted By: BadHabit Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Euflexxa is hyaluronic acid. There are multiple similar brand medications out there that all work the same. They all work to lubricate the remaining articular cartilage in the knee. Keyword there is remaining. If you have advanced arthritis you have eroded away the natural articular cartilage and there is nothing for Euflexxa to work on.

I have given Euflexxa, Supartz, Genvisc, etc. You can generally predict how they are going to work before you start the series but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. If I am going to see any degree of pain relief it is usually after the 3rd injection but I have seen pain relief up to 4 or 5 weeks after competing the injections. That doesn't make sense because the half life of your synovial (joint) fluid is about 4 or 5 days.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
think i'll start my next thread on suggestions on a stationary bike. need to shed 20-ish pounds and keep it off. i used to run 24 miles a week up until about 7-8 years ago but doubt i will be able to run anymore. and road bikes will get you killed around here.
Originally Posted by Terryk
If you can't walk 2 miles, then you should really consider surgery. At the point you can't hunt, then you have to roll the dice and try surgery. I had mine done this year and it was a huge PIA, but I take the lab on regular 3 mile hikes in the forest. Time is the limit there, not my knee. In last 2 months, I missed about 3 days walking.

Yes, but my mule can walk 10 miles. I am 78 ,if I let surgeons talk me into all the replaced parts they want to do, I'd be laid up for 2.5-3 years.I don't have that time to spare.

My shoulder replacement nerve block almost killed me by paralyzing 1/2 my diaphragm. My neighbor just had 3 vertebrae fused in his neck,. He is much younger than I. His heart stop and he claims he was not breathing for 8 minutes. He has dislocated shoulder and 3 broken ribs from the CPR. Another neighbor was allergic to the antibiotic hey applied to the spike for his knee replacement. After 6 months to figure it out,they had to take it out, cure the inflammation and put another one in.My hunting pard had a hip replaced, he then had to have it replaced again and it is still not right.These do not give me a lot of confidence in joint replacement
Originally Posted by BadHabit
Euflexxa is hyaluronic acid. There are multiple similar brand medications out there that all work the same. They all work to lubricate the remaining articular cartilage in the knee. Keyword there is remaining. If you have advanced arthritis you have eroded away the natural articular cartilage and there is nothing for Euflexxa to work on.

My x-rays shown bone on bone, yet the Monovisc helps me tremendously.Go figure.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I'm glad that this thread isn't about shooting deer in the legs.
I learned something here.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
I learned a lot thanks guys
Got a new hip this past spring, was easy and worked. I do the tread mill at least 5 days a week and have a list of stuff from PT,
Got a knee going will talk to the Doc. about the shot.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Knee shots - 10/22/21
Anybody hear about the outfit called Flexogenix? There are numerous offices scattered around.

Any good?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Knee shots - 10/23/21
Up
© 24hourcampfire