Home
In your garage/shop for cleaning little parts in solvent? Using for a small bit of paint do you don't have to bring out the whole can?

Empty yogurt containers? Cottage cheese containers? Mayonnaise jars for puttin' up nuts/bolts/nails?

Don't ask me how many in mine.

I don't keep track, would just make me depressed and maybe I'd have to throw some away.
A schit pile..............
Dixie cups in mine.
Patrick
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Good man

Do you have one of them fancy can openers that cut around the seam and don't leave any sharp edges too?

Those things are slick, no more having to pinch down the sharp remnants with a pair of rusty pliers.
Originally Posted by dodge268
Dixie cups in mine.
Patrick

Yeah, those are OK for some applications, but I wouldn't trust them with gasoline or carb cleaner for getting built up crap off small parts.
Originally Posted by slumlord

You probably just bring a jar of beans over to Nana's and swipe one of hers when you need one.
Metal coffee cans, or the one gallon bulk canned food steel cans.

Had some for years and years.

No tuna cans.
Dang bro,

no sense using a whole #9 can for just a few ounces of solvent!

Get to the Higgly Piggly and get you some tuna cans.

Downfall of society when they started putting tuna in foil pouches. What's the world coming to?

But, yeah, I have some coffee cans and the big ones from the crushed tomatoes and puree for making mama's sauce.
I've got a good collection of cans and bottles and plastic containers; both empty and full. Free and handy!
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Dang bro,

Downfall of society when they started putting tuna in foil pouches. What's the world coming to?

But, yeah, I have some coffee cans and the big ones from the crushed tomatoes and puree for making mama's sauce.

I love the patina on my old coffee cans.

It makes feeding the animals much more nostalgic! laugh
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Dang bro,

I love the patina on my old coffee cans.

It makes feeding the animals much more nostalgic! laugh

Heck, I've got two kinds of coffee cans out there. Metal ones from someone who gets the Costco stuff, and a few of the plastic ones from Folgers another friend gets. Wife and I are coffee snobs, so our coffee comes in little bags.

A bit of bailing wire for a handle, two holes punched at the top of a metal 3lb coffee can, and it makes a decent cookpot one doesn't need to worry about putting right on the coals.
Tuna, potted meat and Vienna mystery meat sausage cans.

Cleaning guns and mixing epoxy.

Throw away the ones I mix epoxy in.

Use a can opener that takes off the sharp edges.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I call BS.

How many outbuildings you have? And zero cottage cheese containers?

No way.
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Good man

Do you have one of them fancy can openers that cut around the seam and don't leave any sharp edges too?

Those things are slick, no more having to pinch down the sharp remnants with a pair of rusty pliers.

None of that fancy stuff. Usually just save the plastic containers with the lids. Multi purpose.
i use cut off beer cans. not into tuna. my preferred nut/bolt/screw containers are the dry parmesan cheese containers. plastic, see-through and a pour lid to get a couple out. those and plastic peanut jars. i'm an organized mo-fo bordering on OCD.
Man, you've got me missing the old style baby food jars now! :->
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio

Screw the lids to the bottom of a shelf.
Yup, cans of all sizes are handy in the shop.
In your garage/shop for cleaning little parts in solvent? Using for a small bit of paint do you don't have to bring out the whole can?

Empty yogurt containers? Cottage cheese containers? Mayonnaise jars for puttin' up nuts/bolts/nails?

Don't ask me how many in mine.

I don't keep track, would just make me depressed and maybe I'd have to throw some away.

Geno;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day's weather for you all is what you need and that you're all well.

We're getting a nice steady rain here, so instead of looking for an innocent buck to invite home for dinner, I did a repair on a family member's shotgun, did some organizing in the reloading room and am keeping the house warm.

Way back in the day I was helping a buddy move and he was throwing out dozens of these.

[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

So both of the big windows in my shop which have convenient 4" sills are full of those. Then there's a bunch of the 1 liter plastic measuring cups one gets at the paint store - have no idea how many of them and 1 liter yogurt containers there are.

The sad truth Geno is that I did a thorough clean out of my shop just this spring and at that time had the opportunity to cull a few containers, which I did, but there's still more left.

That said, when I found out the other day that my faithful Leatherman Wave was a tad rusty, an old stainless steel coffee mug got filled with diesel and it was heavy enough to not tip with the Wave's pliers soaking in it and the handle up and out of the diesel.

Tuna cans however, I don't believe are present, but if I didn't have all the other jar lids and containers around, then they'd do fine too.

All the best to you folks this weekend my friend.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by valsdad
how many empty tuna cans . . .

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wabigoon

That's how grampa taught me, and I still keep odds and ends of fasteners and what-not like that in one of my shops.

Gawd that makes me feel like an old boomer, but I don't care. It's effective, and saves trips to town to buy one stupid wingnut.

'Course the downside is - if I don't make a trip to the hardware store for the wingnut, I can't get a smoked polish dog with kraut at the roach coach that sets up by the store. whistle
Gallon oil jug on it side, with a square cut out of the top is my parts washer.
Enough gas to cover the part.

If its to big, brake clean or carb ckeaner.
I use the clear bottoms of the sliced meat containers for holding cases in various stages of preparation. Same for parts if I’m working on a gun. I don’t think they would withstand any cleaning chemicals though.
I have some different containers for odd parts, nuts, bolts, etc.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Gallon oil jug on it side, with a square cut out of the top is my parts washer.
Enough gas to cover the part.

If its to big, brake clean or carb ckeaner.

Put those on a shelf, and you have drawers.
I just want some inclusion in this thread.
I have 4!!!

Might have toasted tuna fish sandwiches for dinner now thanks to this thead.
Use 2 cans...
Full blown whole hog hungry tard mode...

Cans will go in the trash.
Garage is pretty spartan....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have used the old rectangle antifreeze can as bolt bins.
I have used the old rectangle antifreeze can as bolt bins.
Looks like we are all hoarders. I have more empty containers than I will ever need, still but can’t help myself from keeping something that I may think that some day…
Originally Posted by Quartermaster
Looks like we are all hoarders. I have more empty containers than I will ever need, still but can’t help myself from keeping something that I may think that some day…

I's a mark of poverty. blush
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

That's how grampa taught me, and I still keep odds and ends of fasteners and what-not like that in one of my shops.

Gawd that makes me feel like an old boomer, but I don't care. It's effective, and saves trips to town to buy one stupid wingnut.

'Course the downside is - if I don't make a trip to the hardware store for the wingnut, I can't get a smoked polish dog with kraut at the roach coach that sets up by the store. whistle

You guys remember the fancy ass ones that looked like a rotisserie sitting there, jars of different goodies, just turn the darn thing to find what you needed?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Guy had one of them he was ship shape for sure.
Originally Posted by renegade50
I just want some inclusion in this thread.
I have 4!!!

Might have toasted tuna fish sandwiches for dinner now thanks to this thead.
Use 2 cans...
Full blown whole hog hungry tard mode...

Cans will go in the trash.
Garage is pretty spartan....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wealthy retired fed worker.

Prolly tosses the 16 nails left after a job and just buys a new box when he needs a nail instead of using an empty peanut butter jar for the 16 ones he done paid for already.
No tuna cans but i have both plastic and metal coffee cans.

Even have some waterless hand towel buckets and a few almond containers from COSCO.
I prefer the old school metal peanut cans.
Those tins from the Danish butter cookies come in handy too.

Big ol' popcorn tins like the church kids sell to raise money for camp also.

You guys remember the fancy ass ones that looked like a rotisserie sitting there, jars of different goodies, just turn the darn thing to find what you needed?

LOL
That brings back memories. Dad had nine kids so there were plenty of baby food bottles in his shop.
We only had five kids in our household but there were plenty of them jars too.
Metal cans going back to Grandpas "HOLIDAY PIPE TOBACCO" & Plenty of "TE-AMO CHURCHILL" cigar boxes too.

Never saw one of those.
Now I'm sinning (envy) again!

You should have put that pic up as a "If you know..."

It caught my eye, and looked like a universal with eight bearing caps.
WTH? Got consumed with trying to figure it out for awhile before
reading the text.
The bolt bins, the old antifreeze cans.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Something is fishy here
We could still use plastic jars, just like the baby food jars.

5 quart oil jugs can make drawers, and 1 quarts as well.

That's OG Boomer right thurr!

https://americasbestpics.com/picture/OwNrfgRx8?s=cl
© 24hourcampfire