Home
Can anyone identify this caterpillar? I've been randomly finding them in my house. I think they morph into a solid black wasp, which also has been getting in? The caterpillar is about an inch long. Was stung twice on my thigh after putting on a pair of jeans.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks!

DMc
Don't know what it is but it's time to run to Home Depot and stock up on spray foam and caulking for the house!
Originally Posted by DMc
Can anyone identify this caterpillar? I've been randomly finding them in my house. I think they morph into a solid black wasp, which also has been getting in? The caterpillar is about an inch long. Was stung twice on my thigh after putting on a pair of jeans.

Thanks!

DMc

Did you get stung by that "caterpillar" or by the wasp?
Have plenty of bug spray. Another unusual particular about the caterpillar is they're tough, not easily killed.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by DMc

Thanks!

DMc

Did you get stung by that "caterpillar" or by the wasp?

Was a black wasp. Been finding maybe 3 a week in my house for about a month. The tail on the caterpillar is what makes me think it becomes a wasp.
Interesting.

Is there a University with a good Biology dept there? Capture one of those caterpillar critters and bring it there maybe?

Probably not a wasp larvae, likely just a caterpillar looking for a place to overwinter.
Looks like a soldier fly larvae.
That does look like a black soldier fly larvae. The adult looks like a black wasp (it's not) about .75" long... however the adult can neither sting or bite.
not a catipillar pupa.
Originally Posted by RicG
Looks like a soldier fly larvae.

Originally Posted by longarm
That does look like a black soldier fly larvae. The adult looks like a black wasp (it's not) about .75" long... however the adult can neither sting or bite.

What do those larvae feed on? I wondered with the tail end of it if it might not be a fly larvae. Are they parasitic and drop off to find shelter for the winter?
They feed on rotting / dead organic matter, feces and the like.
Not sure if it is a soldier fly but it is a fly larva of some sort.
Did you bring any plants etc. In the house?
Gonna second that that is not a wasp larva, which are generally pale white maggot-looking things.

Excellent ID on soldier fly larvae.
Gonna hafta look them up.
Seems they raise them and sell them for reptile food.
Originally Posted by DMc
Have plenty of bug spray. Another unusual particular about the caterpillar is they're tough, not easily killed.

Quit putting on jeans.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not a catipillar pupa.

Hahaha, wth with pupa. I tinks you mean pupil. wink
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Seems they raise them and sell them for reptile food.

Huh, dimocraps eat them?
Looks like Derek Henrys hair!
aren't soldier ants are harmless?
Originally Posted by DMc

Thanks!

DMc

I believe that is Jack!

😁
© 24hourcampfire