Home
Most of my Adult life I hunted small game with the Savage\Stevens SXS 12 with a Tenite stock it was handed down to me after my dad died. The tenite stock finally wore thin and I replaced it with a wood stock but now in my late 60's I am looking for a light weigh 20 gauge semi-auto.

Any suggests would be appreciated since I am clueless on whats a good semi..

thanks
Beretta ....
Weatherby SA 08
Really a Turkish gun
Sarzilmazlaz (sp?) IIRC
Verona clones if I remember right.

See em at Rural King
480ish IIRC

Dont tell amyone they are turkish.
It will horrify them....

CZ 720 G2 @ 6.3 lbs

... or ...

CZ 712 Utility G2 @ 6.6 lbs

Beretta
I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 for my grandson. Has the youth stock, but an adult one is available. Receiver is drilled and tapped. Walnut stock is available. Inertia system. Made in Italy.
Bought my wife and son an Benelli Montifeltro 20... youth and full stock... Sporting Clays.

5.6 pounds.

After a while, they were shooting my Browning Maxus 12 gauge. A bit heavier gun, same recoil or less.

Sold the 20 gauge and all the shells... almost had a big oops when I was in my teens with 20 or 16 gauge shells around 12 gauge guns...
Benelli....don't fall for one of those Turkish made turd shotguns.
if used is ok, try to find a remington 1100 LT-20
Benelli Montefeltro 20, Benelli Ultralite 20
Benelli M2 26" 20 ga.
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/11081/
Only semi I have is a Beretta 390. 12ga.

If you load your own, or have accesses to a variety of ammo🤣🤣🤣🤣

A new version might be a great choice.
It's as light as a lot of 20's.
It functions with light 3/4oz loads
that won't even reset the triggers on some O/U's. (Lighter 20 load range)

And, I can drop 3" 12 gauge loads in if desired.

One more thing.
Those 3" loads are really soft out of it compared to pumps or
hinged guns I've shot.
Remington 1100 is a good gun if you like to clean and work on your shotgun.....
Benelli M2 20ga.
For less money than the Benelli offerins and albeit a long recoil mechanism, the Franchi AL48 in 20 ga is as nice a field gun as any IMO.
Really like the Benelli Ultralight.
The aforementioned Franchi AL48
Beretta A4oo
And Benelli M2
20s are nice, and with today's ammo can serve many uses.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

This ! Perfect lightweight 20 and will last a couple of lifetimes of normal use. It’s the shotgun that most Argentine dove outfits use. Super durable and reliable.
Beretta.
Benelli M2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Benelli M2 leads the pack but I wouldn’t sneeze at a Montefeltro.

Franchi Affinity is alright as well.
The Benelli 20ga Ultralight is a great option for upland and doves....
I always prefer a beat up, dogged out anything that my uncle, dad or grampie left me, at least keep the hump back shotty, sell everything else at .20cent on the dollar to Silver Eagle Pawn so I get a sleeve of Copenhagen and make my Polaris RZR payment this month.

Inheritance baby shotguns all the way

Sorry, I can’t help the OP

maybe something Turkish at Academy 🤪
Originally Posted by deflave

Benelli is an excellent pick. The Franchi line of shotguns is owned by Benelli and is similar but without the fit and finish of the Benelli. Regardless, I would go with the Benelli.
Looking for a Tristar Viper or a Mossberg SA 20 for the family.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Benelli is an excellent pick. The Franchi line of shotguns is owned by Benelli and is similar but without the fit and finish of the Benelli. Regardless, I would go with the Benelli.

I don’t think there’s a better upland gun than the M2 in 20 gauge.
I wish they hadn't discontinued the V3.

That would have been nice in 20 gauge.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Don’t tell anybody, they’ll laugh at you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I was going to only have one primary gun, I’d probably look at the Beretta 400 or a Benelli. But I’ve got a safe full of shotguns and I like to try new things, so I Bought this Viper Bronze 20 to see what the commotion was about. I like it. Trigger sucks, but can be fixed. It broke the recoil spring at about 500 rounds, had a replacement in 2 days. 5 year warranty. Plus I bought it from Buds, so got the $25 lifetime warranty. The consensus is they’re good. Time will tell. If it fails, I’ll sell it back to Buds at my original cost and buy another experiment.

Yup, Benelli UL.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Don’t tell anybody, they’ll laugh at you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I was going to only have one primary gun, I’d probably look at the Beretta 400 or a Benelli. But I’ve got a safe full of shotguns and I like to try new things, so I Bought this Viper Bronze 20 to see what the commotion was about. I like it. Trigger sucks, but can be fixed. It broke the recoil spring at about 500 rounds, had a replacement in 2 days. 5 year warranty. Plus I bought it from Buds, so got the $25 lifetime warranty. The consensus is they’re good. Time will tell. If it fails, I’ll sell it back to Buds at my original cost and buy another experiment.

I want one in 20 for the family....and a 28 for me.
500 rounds and it already broke.

Sounds like a winner.

Sounds like a winner.

I had to replace the recoil spring on a MK2 Ruger pistol once.

What a piece of garbage eh?

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

I doubt he had half of that through it.

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

" Crickets "

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

Did you buy it from Paul Barnyard?
Originally Posted by ldholton

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

" Crickets "

You don’t believe that story do you?

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

LMFAO

Sounds like a winner.

After one brick?

Hahahahaha!

No, it was a customers gun.

I am a Gun Wizzard you know.

I felt pretty cool making a business order from Brownells. For like 7 dollars.
Well, MKIIs were made from the early 80s to the early 2000s so I highly doubt that experience was comparable to the 20 gauge.
You are right.

As I understand it, they dont even make replacement parts for Benelli's or Berettas. They dont even have a warranty department or a repair center anymore.

The old Guinea that worked on them finally died and they just closed the doors.
Infact, when the charging handle broke off my M2, I was lucky enough to get the last one that had ever been made.
You are right.

As I understand it, they dont even make replacement parts for Benelli's or Berettas. They dont even have a warranty department or a repair center anymore.

The old Guinea that worked on them finally died and they just closed the doors.

I hate to see a grown man talk himself into a POS.

But it is your decision.
Infact, when the charging handle broke off my M2, I was lucky enough to get the last one that had ever been made.

If anybody could break one, it’s a farmer.
It's not a semi-auto, byt I REALLY like the Franchi O/U that I bought for my wife a few years ago. Sometimes she lets me shoot it. smile

If anybody could break one, it’s a farmer.

Its such a wonderful shotgun I wouldn't care if it broke in half.

It doesn't owe me a thing. When it starts slowing down I just hose it out with WD 40 and keep shooting.

It was a cheapie too. M2 American on double secret probation sale. 600 bucks out the door.
Originally Posted by achadwick
It's not a semi-auto, byt I REALLY like the Franchi O/U that I bought for my wife a few years ago. Sometimes she lets me shoot it. smile

My buddy gave me a Browning Cynergy Featherweight.

That is a nice shotgun.
Most of my cousins and uncles as well as my dad use Benellis in the field and Beretta 391's on the sporing clay courses.

I use a Benelli M1 20Ga. that was a gift from one of my uncles.

Sounds like a winner.

Yeah, no kidding. Still functioned perfectky, even with the broken spring. Scares me so bad I’m going to buy a 28 as well. Other forums with other members shooting a lot more shells than I am through them without issues.
Thanks, looks like most like either the Bennelli or Beretta shotguns. Live about an hour and half from Elk Co Ammo and arms will check on the one 10Glocks had the link to,
Originally Posted by Esox357
Benelli M2 26" 20 ga.

Or a 24” they balance perfectly
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Benelli M2 26" 20 ga.

I was wondering if 26 or 28" barrel was needed, will have to handle one.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Sounds like a winner.

Yeah, no kidding. Still functioned perfectky, even with the broken spring. Scares me so bad I’m going to buy a 28 as well. Other forums with other members shooting a lot more shells than I am through them without issues.

Sweet.

Originally Posted by old_willys

I have an M1 20 with 26" barrel but when I need to buy an M2 I'll get the 28" barrel.

Up until a few years ago the 20 ga was never offered with a 28" barrel just 24" and 26".
I used to hunt pheasants & chukars with a Weatherby Upland O/U in 20ga 3". It was the best field gun I ever had in my life. I had to sell it to pay for my horses Board one month during a slow time. If you can find one of those (or similar) and it fits you, they are a blast! My dad used an 1100 LT-20, they felt a bit too slim for me, but they were still fun. Good luck to you though!
Franchi affinity 3. Excellent in every respect.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Benelli M2 26" 20 ga.

28's should be outlawed.
a400 lite

Originally Posted by rainshot
Beretta ....
For a soft shooting gas 20, I’ve always liked the 1100LT 20’s. Never owned one but have shot them a good bit. I’ve heard folks bitch about them, but the few I know personally that shoot them a lot really like them.

I really like my 12 ga Beretta 390. I’d greedily take a 20ga model for a decent price.

Recoil operated I’m fond of my A5. Little picky about loads though.
The AL48 or even a Browning B80 with the aluminum receiver would be sweet.

beretta A400 Explorer
I have a 12 Gauge M2 with a 26” barrel -and it balances perfectly at the front of the action so that when you lift from your forearm the gun comes to battery on plane.

I also have a 20 gauge M2 with a 24” barrel - it’s SUPER light, and also comes up on plane….

If you hunt wooded area’s a 28” barrel IS NOT the way to go…. If you hunt plains or ducks then a 28 is all good.

I’m a “spot shooter”. - meaning I can shot a bird in less than 2 seconds (and I mean it’s falling dead by then), so how a gun comes up is kind of important.

Originally Posted by rte

I have an M1 20 with 26" barrel but when I need to buy an M2 I'll get the 28" barrel.

Up until a few years ago the 20 ga was never offered with a 28" barrel just 24" and 26".

I have a AYA Matador I like, of course it's a double.

an ole used Rem 870 back when they built good stuff---70's
Beretta, Remington, or Winchester will all serve you well.
Really hard to beat a nice 20 gauge SxS.
I figure if two shots don't kill it, the bird won.

Easy to check for any barrel obstruction.
if a pump is a possibility i can highly reco an older 870LW. i have a '73 with the small scale alloy receiver and a mahogany stock. pleasure to carry and shoot.

^^^This^^^
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

^THIS^ ...... I use a SKB M100 20ga. The 28" bbls were originally F/M but have been opened to IC/M.

It's a perfect grouse/woodcock gun. Kinda like a 2 shot semi-auto, and the OP did specify a semi-auto. smile
I prefer the recoil/inertia guns. When I had to replace a Browning Twelvette with something more steel shot friendly, but in keeping with the style, I went with the Benelli Ultralight. My son uses an M2. We have a need for a compact shotgun in the family that will hopefully pass through the hands of a lot of young shooters. The Franchi Affinity Compact with the spacers seems to offer a lot of flexibility and I will probably go that route. For more of a one size fits all/permanent compact a Montefeltro would get the nod.
I prefer my shotguns to have two barrels, but my wife has a shotgun that fits your criteria perfectly. It is a Beretta AL391 Urika. Lightweight, points like a finger, kicks like a feather, and easy to disassemble/clean/reassemble.
Anybody shoot a newer Stoeger?
Originally Posted by rem141r

I have one of these... Remington 1100 LT-20 Special Field of 1986 vintage......

I can tell you... it is NOT for sale..... I love this gun... and I have a lot of nice guns. This is my go to gun.

This ^^^ I’ve had a few 20’s in my life with a Browning A5 Twenty Mag being a favorite for many years, until I stumbled into a Benelli M2.

The A5 doesn’t see much use anymore.

🦫
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

So true. I killed more birds with an Ugartechea 20 bore, ejector grade, boxlock (IC/M) than any other gun. I still have three Uggies, 12, 20 and 28. They are still out there, although the company has, sadly ceased production. Most, that I have seen are cast a bit for a right hander. You would never be disappointed to own one, and they are (or were) reasonably priced. The best part is that they have the true game gun feel.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Anybody shoot a newer Stoeger?

I have a Stoeger 3020 which is pertinent to this discussion. I threw together a 3 gun shotgun for the kids. Similar in the Benelli inertia system, it has proven reliable.

If I were on a budget I would suggest the Stoeger, if not the M2 20 ga as mentioned
The 3020 is the one I was looking at.

Seems a heck of a deal if they prove reliable.
I'd recommend the Franchi Affinity or Beretta AL391 Urika. I've shot both for years along with my favorite upland gun...an SKB 505 20 ga. O/U.
if a pump is a possibility i can highly reco an older 870LW. i have a '73 with the small scale alloy receiver and a mahogany stock. pleasure to carry and shoot.

One of my all-time greatest regrets was letting one of those slip away many years ago!

Best suggestion you'll get.
Browning B-80

Beretta 391 Urika
Originally Posted by JOG
We have a need for a compact shotgun in the family that will hopefully pass through the hands of a lot of young shooters. The Franchi Affinity Compact with the spacers seems to offer a lot of flexibility and I will probably go that route. For more of a one size fits all/permanent compact a Montefeltro would get the nod.

I lied. I went with the BPS Micro Midas. It's a pump, which I prefer for young shooters, and can use reduced loads without function issues. The Micro Midas also has stock spacers, but starts off a touch long at 13" LOP.

I started out with a single shot twelve with a hammer. Deal with it kiddos. smirk
I've got one of those Turkish 20 gauge semis. Sweet little gun. Touch over 6 lbs.
Originally Posted by LFC
Remington 1100 is a good gun if you like to clean and work on your shotgun.....

My sentiments exactly.......both Remington shotguns I've ever owned did not stay long before being moved along.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 for my grandson. Has the youth stock, but an adult one is available. Receiver is drilled and tapped. Walnut stock is available. Inertia system. Made in Italy.

We have had nothing but issues with our affinity 20, my buddy bought one too, neither will cycle standard target loads.
Benelli M2 and be done with it. I myself have a older m1 20.

This is what I just bought. 5.3#
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Browning B-80

Beretta 391 Urika

parts for the 391 are getting very hard to find and expensive.
Benelli or Beretta, take your pick. You won't go wrong with either one and you won't regret your purchase.
Since you've done alot of shooting, "whichever fits you best". Got to a skeet or sporting clays course, talks with shooters and ask to swing their shotguns, and find one that fits. I do this all the time and have only had one or two "no's" in several dozen requests. Worst thing in world is buying a shotgun (especially composite stock) which doesn't fit & can't be fitted to your body.

Can’t go wrong with these. If recoil sensitive at all then 1100 Remington. Hasbeen
I have a CZ Woodcock 20ga O/U. Great little gun. Saw one at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day for $649
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Bought my wife and son an Benelli Montifeltro 20... youth and full stock... Sporting Clays.

5.6 pounds.

After a while, they were shooting my Browning Maxus 12 gauge. A bit heavier gun, same recoil or less.

Sold the 20 gauge and all the shells... almost had a big oops when I was in my teens with 20 or 16 gauge shells around 12 gauge guns...

"Less stupid?'
Originally Posted by killerv

We have had nothing but issues with our affinity 20, my buddy bought one too, neither will cycle standard target loads.

They had one malfunction while dove hunting. Too early to tell at this point. Might just need some break-in.

For myself, I would seek out a nice Belgian Twentyweight A5. Been using my Light Twelve for 5-Stand and have been fascinating folks who’ve never seen one operate. Could get a pretty nice one for the price of a Benelli.
I'm not a shotgun guy but I highly recommend the M2. I picked up a Benelli M2 in 20 ga from another forum member and I had a blast with it all summer. I've put a lot of round through it over the last several months. I'd been shooting a M2 in 12 ga for several years.....for busting clays I really enjoy the little 20.
Originally Posted by killerv

Not to sound lawyer like but read the manual and see what it says for minimum shell. I've run into that before on 20 gauge and the recommended shell was kind of oddball I'm remembering one recommended 15 /16 oz. 1200fps Loads min. And of course a whole lot a 20-gauge loads are 3/4 ounce at 1200fps. It would shoot just reliably enough to want to use it but get frustrating. Get like 1300 feet per second or one ounce loads it would function fine. Do not know about your particular shotgun.

I bought one for one of my boys this fall, fresh inventory to my local FFL. It seems the quality is back on par, where it should be.
oops, I missed the semi auto part of your post.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I bought one for one of my boys this fall, fresh inventory to my local FFL. It seems the quality is back on par, where it should be.

Dave,

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Dave
Beretta
Beretta A400 lite. Nice gasser to bleed off some recoil. Beretta has been around for 500 years. They aren't going anywhere.

If recoil isn't an issue, Benelli Montefeltro Featherweight.

Weight and recoil, something that everyone wants less of as they age.
beretta a400 with kickoff stock
I know some people rag on the Rem 1187 but I love that little 20 ga.
© 24hourcampfire