Two pick up trucks side by side in the sage brush

Rancher: This is private property
Hunter: My GPS shows this as BLM
Rancher: Make sure you stay on it.

Pick up trucks depart

Mmmkay
Aaaaand?
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/25/21
GPS and mapping software, like good fences, can make for good neighbors.
You can usually get corner GPS co-ordinates for about any BLM property .Then get a good GPS
Had to pimpslap a rancher/outfitter once that came onto BLM land.

“My Pappy said its my god given right to run people off of land I don’t own”

Well pardner....wist of thee missyssississyppie we dont take kindly to folks with sub meter GPS
Originally Posted by FatCity67

We have had to run people off of our block management land for fee hunting.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/25/21
Like biden and his mandates
Landowners know they are not legal but if they buffalo you and you give up your right to hunt there they win

shocked
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hope you got your cut first. Ha!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

shocked

Didn't take kindly us Kommiefornia hunters setting up on drainages to his leased out game preserve.
Ran into a a real asswhole awhile back. He was young and had inherited his grandfathers ranch. I was on an obvious two track road that was clearly legal to travel per the law.

He jumped out all bowed up “I’m the RANCHER, I’m the RANCHER”

I said “Oh, you’re a public land rancher? How you doing, i’m a public land hunter.”

Don’t blow smoke up my ass and I’ll do the same.
Originally Posted by JeffP
Landowners know they are not legal but if they buffalo you and you give up your right to hunt there they win

True. One thing I've concluded...ranchers and rich homeowners always assume the adjacent BLM is their property too...and don't want anyone else on it.
Haven't seen it in a long time, but the worst were the ones that locked USFS or BLM gates on their allotments to keep folks out.

Had an old Boy Scout leader that kept a set of bolt cutters in his vehicle just for them.
Haven't seen it in a long time, but the worst were the ones that locked USFS or BLM gates on their allotments to keep folks out.

Had an old Boy Scout leader that kept a set of bolt cutters in his vehicle just for them.

Bolt cutters is so 1980. LOL

Get you a Milwaukie cordless 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel. You can gain access and start a range fire all at once.

It's a flat rate.

It's illegal for someone to charge on top of that.
Ye ol' master pass key.

It's a flat rate.

It's illegal for someone to charge on top of that.

Oh chit, I was just joking. Learnt me something new today.

You've mentioned it before come to think on it.

I’ve seen it, it was mostly on state land. We tried not to cut the locks if we could get through without it. I don’t know how many fences we’ve fixed and phone calls we made when they had a water leak or cows out.

Always causes a few run ins with the rancher threatening to call the law and us saying ok, we’ll be out here somewhere but we’re not wasting time here. Never once did they call, they knew they were wrong.
For some reason around here, a lot of 'new' landowners try to run a bluff, tacking up no trespassing signs a long way from actual property lines, closing roads to public land that have been public easements since gold rush days when the first surveys were done. I had a run in with a guy who closed a road that accessed about 10 sections of BLM land. I backed down and took my beef to BLM district office in Medford, the BLM rep told me, "Yeah, we are aware of it, legally he can't block that road, but we just don't have the budget for legal proceedings against him." Not knowing anything about legal stuff, I asked if the BLM could take the pertinent documents to a Federal District judge and just get a 'cease and desist' and get the damn gate unlocked. BLM guy got pissed at me, long story short, that road remains locked to this day, and now it is called the "Pilot Rock Wild Area" or something, Obama's expansion of the the Siskiyou Natl Monument, a land grab of historic proportions. The bottom line being the public land hunter gets screwed again.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Pick up trucks depart

My favorite is "this is private property now", well if you bought it it was private property then too, and this is a public road.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by JeffP

True. One thing I've concluded...ranchers and rich homeowners always assume the adjacent BLM is their property too...and don't want anyone else on it.

"RICH" homeowner with a 7Acre RANCH! surrounded by BLM land.

But I don't care if you go out behind the house to my "backyard". Just don't shoot within 1/4 mile of occupied building, mine or the neighbors across the street. About 1/2 way up the ridge back there you'll hit a section or two of private land, but you'll see the cross fence first. And close the gate going in and coming out damnit:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Ran into a a real asswhole awhile back. He was young and had inherited his grandfathers ranch. I was on an obvious two track road that was clearly legal to travel per the law.

I said “Oh, you’re a public land rancher? How you doing, i’m a public land hunter.”

LMFAO

🦫

I carried a big pair of bolt cutters in my truck for probably 15 years. My load out is a bit more pedestrian nowadays.

smile
My father was a land surveyor, registered in 4 western states. I learned map reading and compass from him, also watched him stop more than one arrogant "rancher" in his tracks with "on whose authority are you claiming public land as yours?"

Had a Boy Scout leader try to prevent my access up a signed USFS road once- his reasoning? "We planned this event months ago." I invited him to call the county sheriff.

I am all for private land ownership- I have a few acres myself. It is important to know the boundaries and law.

Usually, the offer to involve law enforcement is enough to shut down the claimed land grab- but you better be sure you are in the right.
Fuggin cops don't care if you burn down a city but they'll drive 37 miles out on two track to settle a dispute between a couple of hicks?
That sure is a purty gate there. whistle
I was hunting a piece of state land once and was trying to get on a nice buck a few coulees over. I was glassing the buck when all the sudden this guy came around the bend in his truck honking his horn and scared off the buck. He said I was trespassing and he had called the game warden. Warden shows up, I show him my tracks in the snow and where I was hunting (300 yds into public land) and he agreed the buck and I both were well within state land. The warden then checked both our licenses, the guy was wearing orange and obviously hunting. He ended up writing the guy a citation for road hunting, as he had a loaded rifle in his truck. Haha.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Fuggin cops don't care if you burn down a city but they'll drive 37 miles out on two track to settle a dispute between a couple of hicks?

Absolutely !

OSP and Sheriff Deputies in my neck of the woods love that stuff.

A dispute over who shot a bull. So & so is blocking road access with their rigs, Give em an hour and someone with a badge is gonna show up.

🦫
Encountered a public road that had a cattle feedlot over it. The yard covered the road but there was a gate at each end. I had driven past a couple times as the road was access to public land and this was a blatant attempt to keep the public out. You could access it from the other end but it was miles around.
Finally I decided I’m driving through the feedlot, the rancher met me at the other end on his Atv as I was opening the gate. He was not impressed, I showed him on the map that this was a public road, it didn’t escalate beyond flaring tempers but he told me not to come back this way. As it turned out it was well after dark when I drove out the other end as I had to drag a deer out in the moonlight. An that night there was a lunar eclipse while dragging out.
Had a farmer try to kick me off my friends land. He was renting land next to it. He texted me a doctored map, showing the land border
I jacked on him and then sent an onyx map pic. That was the end of that. Said he farmed like 26 quarters and it wasn't easy to find a placé to hunt after I told him I didn't own any land. What an ass. Don't get me wrong I have good farmer friends. Some really have a high opinion of themselves though. I never want any trouble but I can be à hard case when needed.

Pick up trucks depart

Sounds like Montana?
Ranchers love pulling that schit
There is a state section next to our farm/ranch, and the best, but not the only, access to this state section is through our place. I've always been polite about letting folks use our road as access, but I'm usually clear that they not hunt our place. Likewise, I've told hunters on that state section if they wound a deer on the state section and it makes it to ours, they are free to retrieve it on foot. And most hunters are pretty good about things...but....some out of staters who hunt on our place each year for the past 50 years (we're on the third generation of them, traces back to a friendship with my fathe) had permission to hunt during opening weekend. The opener was thick, pea soup fog, so thick the renter said he was very careful turning off the highway to do the fencing he had planned for the day. He heard shots.....it was those hunters....and encountered them later and asked how they knew what was behind the deer they were shooting at. They gave him a puzzled look. I may rethink their permission if that is the extent of their good judgement.
Montana was à différent place 35-40 years ago.
It was western but if you knew someone you could hunt alot of land.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/25/21
There's a rancher in Hamilton, Colorado that put a fence across County Road 179 right off Highway 317 blocking access to a large plot of BLM. I hunt a private ranch but if I wanted to hunt that area, I would. Some people have balls.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
That sure is a purty gate there. whistle

Ain't my gate. BLM came out a couple years back and put a " Keep Gate Closed" sign on it. Rancher neighbor with the allotment has since fixed the center stick and it's a little tighter now, but even in that pic take years ago it kept the cows in. Doesn't even have the tensioner used on it.

If you think that's bad, I should get you a close up of the corner posts on the left there, out where the yellow grass starts. I have to prop them up from my side to keep them from falling in. Probably take a three person review to have BLM come out and fix it, or they'd try to get rancher neighbor to do it.

This ain't the Bluegrass, we don't need purty gates, just functional ones.
I've seen public land posted - no trespassing- and have yet to see a game warden get involved .

I proved to one game warden that a public section was posted - he said ''well there's a house over there'' he was on the lawbreakers side .

This stuff goes on everywhere , Idaho was bad .
One place, owned by all us taxpayers, we've elk hunted north of Pagosa Springs, Colorado borders a large ranch owned by some rich fellow in California. He hates hunting and has armed security guards patrolling the fences. One of our group watched them herd the elk back onto that ranch as they were trying to leave. They were chasing them with UTVs. I mentioned that in a conversation with one of the elk hunt planners and he said next time get some cell phone video and let them know.
Originally Posted by Sako76
There's a rancher in Hamilton, Colorado that put a fence across County Road 179 right off Highway 317 blocking access to a large plot of BLM. I hunt a private ranch but if I wanted to hunt that area, I would. Some people have balls.

That road in my picture is a county road on most maps. About a mile or so in it turns to the left and crosses into a private section, cuts the corner of it, and then back onto a few sections of BLM land before it hooks up with another improved county road. Folks drive in from over that way and I see folks go in here and not come out. I've walked thru the gate there, it's just another barb wire gate. Word around here is if you're on the county road it';s not an issue. Don't get caught hunting off it though.

Have to be careful though, as sometimes a county will let a road revert to the landowner, giving up the right of way. Happened up in WA where there was a section of State land that became landlocked that way. It had turkeys on it I wanted to hunt too.
A rancher told me in the western part of the state à wealthy doctor chases Antelope onto his land with a helicopter even if someone is hunting them.
Another time coming off public land it was impractical to go back through the way I had come and there was a two track going from the public out towards where the road should be. It was crossing private land but hopefully it would lead me to a road, it was dark so it was hard to tell. Well the two track led right up to a homestead, lights on in the house and I had to drive through a horse corral to get through to their driveway. I opened the gate and the horses got out of the corral, I quickly drove through and luckily the horses went back in easily instead of heading out cross country.
Any minute I was dreading someone coming out of the house in an unfriendly state of mind. Nobody did and I quickly moved on out of there.
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
A rancher told me in the western part of the state à wealthy doctor chases Antelope onto his land with a helicopter even if someone is hunting them.

Indian reservation does that to elk in NM.
[quote=Valsdad
That road in my picture is a county road on most maps. About a mile or so in it turns to the left and crosses into a private section, cuts the corner of it, and then back onto a few sections of BLM land before it hooks up with another improved county road. Folks drive in from over that way and I see folks go in here and not come out. I've walked thru the gate there, it's just another barb wire gate. Word around here is if you're on the county road it';s not an issue. Don't get caught hunting off it though.

Have to be careful though, as sometimes a county will let a road revert to the landowner, giving up the right of way. Happened up in WA where there was a section of State land that became landlocked that way. It had turkeys on it I wanted to hunt too.[/quote]

Where's the picture?
Posted By: logger Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/25/21
Had a farmer try to kick me off my friends land. He was renting land next to it. He texted me a doctored map, showing the land border
I jacked on him and then sent an onyx map pic. That was the end of that. Said he farmed like 26 quarters and it wasn't easy to find a placé to hunt after I told him I didn't own any land. What an ass. Don't get me wrong I have good farmer friends. Some really have a high opinion of themselves though. I never want any trouble but I can be à hard case when needed.

I had a hunter try to kick me off my on land! Didn't work out too well for him.
Originally Posted by irfubar

Pick up trucks depart

Sounds like Montana?

Western ND too. Pull out the map, point and say "I'm right here and this is public."

The typical response was always "well my stuff is on the other side of this stuff so make sure you stay on it!"
Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=Valsdad

Have to be careful though, as sometimes a county will let a road revert to the landowner, giving up the right of way. Happened up in WA where there was a section of State land that became landlocked that way. It had turkeys on it I wanted to hunt too.

Where's the picture?
[/quote]

In this post on the first page:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-vs-rancher-yesterday#Post16560459
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by irfubar

Pick up trucks depart

Sounds like Montana?

Yeah,
Not my first encounter. The first cost me $100 for being on a public road.
Same thing happened to me. Outfitter (not rancher) pitched his camp in the middle of a public road blocking access to BLM and National Forest land. BLM office told me they can't do anything about it....not enough law enforcement people...only one guy for 60 gazillion acres or something. So I mentioned all the No Trespassing signs on the BLM fences. Told me they just get put back up as soon as they get removed. So now they don't bother with it. Meanwhile there are three Parks and Wildlife officers for every fisherman at Pueblo Reservoir. Truth is, they are afraid of the redneck land managers that oversee the properties and want to keep their jobs and scalps.
I had the Rancher that had the Free Range Lease up in the area I have property in Arizona try and tell me that he had all of the rights to my property.

That went over me like a Lead Balloon
I told him the only rights he has on my property was to come and get his cattle off of my property when they came on it. and that was it.

He tried to tell me that I was not allowed to fence my property off unless he said I could fence it.

That went over like another Lead Balloon with me.

I told him that I hold the Title to the Property Registered with the County he does not.
And I will fence my property any time that I want and at that point the only rights he has on my property is in the easement areas that the County has given him.

We went round and round for several years.
He has hired a person who actually owns property up were mine is to do his free Range Cattle business for him and has moved out of the area .

Some Hunters think that they have more right to others property than they do.
Some Property Owners think that they can tell others what to do on adjacent property's to theirs
And some Ranchers think that they can do what they want on others property because they have been doing it for years.

When you get 2 stubborn SOB's going at it some time sparks fly.
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Same thing happened to me. Outfitter (not rancher) pitched his camp in the middle of a public road blocking access to BLM and National Forest land. BLM office told me they can't do anything about it....not enough law enforcement people...only one guy for 60 gazillion acres or something. So I mentioned all the No Trespassing signs on the BLM fences. Told me they just get put back up as soon as they get removed. So now they don't bother with it. Meanwhile there are three Parks and Wildlife officers for every fisherman at Pueblo Reservoir. Truth is, they are afraid of the redneck land managers that oversee the properties and want to keep their jobs and scalps.

So what happened?

Did you drive through it?

Mike
I miss an old rancher named Bud in Southern Idaho. He always let us hunt his land. I asked him once why he was so good about letting hunters on his ground. He told me that as long as the public let's him run his cows on blm ground he would let the public hunt on his.

He put up signs saying public welcome and said after that he never had a problem with anyone tearing up his ground. He hated government agents and environmentalists though so his sights told those types to keep out. You can still see his signs sometimes down along the southern border near goose creek.

Bb
I saw a lot of that in NM when I lived there. You report it and they tell you that you are just a visitor and they had to live there
Much land access has been lost to the public, because of vandalism and failure to leave gates as they were.
Many out here are spread too thin to babysit every hunter.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Much land access has been lost to the public, because of vandalism and failure to leave gates as they were.

Happy birthday.

Yeah, for every story a hunter has about a rancher, there's a story a rancher has about hunters...

Gates left open.

Windmills and water tanks shot up.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Fences driven over, or cut.

Cattle or other livestock shot.

And on and on.... Respecting the rights of others goes both ways.
Many many years ago in Alpine County CA. we went up this road where we knew Deer were mi9grating out of the high country. Got there but there was a gate blocking it. We checked our forest service maps and sure as heck it was blocking a public access road. We went back to the little local grocery store and talked to the owner about it and how we were going to open it up. He was a nice guy and advised us not to do it as the locals put the gate up to keep outsiders out of the prime area. He also said the sheriff would give us a bad time and being elected he did what the locals wanted he to do. So we went to the nearest forest service office and complained and they just shucked us off. To my knowledge, that gate is still up today.
Political corruption at the lowest level.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yeah, for every story a hunter has about a rancher, there's a story a rancher has about hunters...

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

Non of which excuse a corksucking piece of shidt from running hunters off public land. Should be a hanging offense.
Originally Posted by coyote268
Many many years ago in Alpine County CA. we went up this road where we knew Deer were mi9grating out of the high country. Got there but there was a gate blocking it. We checked our forest service maps and sure as heck it was blocking a public access road. We went back to the little local grocery store and talked to the owner about it and how we were going to open it up. He was a nice guy and advised us not to do it as the locals put the gate up to keep outsiders out of the prime area. He also said the sheriff would give us a bad time and being elected he did what the locals wanted he to do. So we went to the nearest forest service office and complained and they just shucked us off. To my knowledge, that gate is still up today.

Of established National Forest Service roads, that were actually designated roads, I have seen far, far many more closed to public access by the National Forest Service themselves, than all other reasons combined.

The greenies they have running the place now don't want you in "their national forest land"............ OR the ranchers either, for that matter.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

Non of which excuse a corksucking piece of shidt from running hunters off public land. Should be a hanging offense.

Half the public land "hunters" should be runnoft.

A bullet proof helicopter?

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

I never ran anyone off of public land, but I did report them. Took license plates, photos, etc. Then called the game warden or whoever to deal with them.

Did have cattle shot, and all sorts of vandalism I would have detained the idiots for until the law enforcement got there, had I caught them doing it.

Didn't run 'em off though. wink

Speaking of hanging offenses... Shooting cattle, or shooting the water sources that could leave your cattle dead from thirst should be added to it.

As I said, respect goes both ways.

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

I never ran anyone off of public land, but I did report them. Took license plates, photos, etc. Then called the game warden or whoever to deal with them.

Did have cattle shot, and all sorts of vandalism I would have detained the idiots for until the law enforcement got there, had I caught them doing it.

Speaking of hanging offenses... Shooting cattle, or shooting the water sources that could leave your cattle dead from thirst should be added to it.

Not going to disagree with that.
Gruff and I used to live near a real ass hole that was always trying to claim he owned a public road.

Fugked up one of Flave’s coyote hunts and this spot was really good until I showed it to Gruff.

But anyway, I got a hold of a County Commissioner and he answered 100% that the dude was wrong. He got in touch with him and corrected him.

I don’t recall running into the guy ever again. But like I mentioned I didn’t go there as often as before because Gruff called it every day for two months after I showed it to him.

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

Not going to disagree with that.

I can't imagine real hunters doing crap like that. Bunch of rednecks giving us all bad reputations
Posted By: erich Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
I've been hunting public lands for a long time. Pre GPS i carried BLM Maps for every area I hunted(still do). I have GPS's on both my truck and morotcycle with public lands chips on them.

I've had many encounters with land owners, only one has threatened to call the cops after looking at my maps, he kept telling me he leased the BLM land but he conceded that I could hunt there when I offered him my phone to call with.

A couple times I've had land owners offer to let me hunt there deeded lands just because I cared about staying on public lands.

Most of the time things go very well if I stay calm and respectful.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I carried a big pair of bolt cutters in my truck for probably 15 years. My load out is a bit more pedestrian nowadays.

smile

I used to always have a 3 foot master key in the truck.

That's pretty much what happened with my inlaw's property. My FIL would let almost anyone hunt, but he'd have them come by his office, look at the map he had there with a plexiglass sheet over it and mark out the area that the person had permission to trespass on, along with the dates and times. When my FIL passed, my MIL and BIL tried to keep it going, but too many people thought that having had permission to hunt in the past was an open invitation to continue to have acess to the ground whenever they wanted to and with whoever they wanted to bring with them. My BIL lives near the farms and didn't want to get into it with anyone, so my MIL closed it to all trespassing/hunting/trapping and left it to me to enforce it. I didn't live in the area, so I don't have a problem tearing down treestands or blinds and calling the sheriff and/or CO about trespassers. Being the trespassing police is a PITA and has prety much ruined firearms deer hunting for me in Nebraska. Since August 1st I've torn down 3 ladder stands and a stand with climbing poles, about average. I drag them out to the nearest maintained county road, then cut them up with a sawzall and leave the pile for the scrappers to pick up. If they have named on them, I try to contact the owner to let him/her know where his/her tree stand is. They expect it to be in the condition that they left it, but it never quite is. The farms are all fenced and no trespassing signs posted as required, so there is no question about where the boundrys are, all surveyed and marked within the past 3 years.
Originally Posted by deflave
Gruff and I used to live near a real ass hole that was always trying to claim he owned a public road.

Fugked up one of Flave’s coyote hunts and this spot was really good until I showed it to Gruff.

But anyway, I got a hold of a County Commissioner and he answered 100% that the dude was wrong. He got in touch with him and corrected him.

I don’t recall running into the guy ever again. But like I mentioned I didn’t go there as often as before because Gruff called it every day for two months after I showed it to him.

Don't have no idea about there but here locally the county roads are considered an easement and you are actually taxed on your property to the boundary in the center of the road. I often wondered what would happen if somebody took this to court challenge the tax or challenge the road. That is all

Lol. You can spin a yarn! But the road part was true
Posted By: Remsen Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
My land is surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of ranchland and a bunch more of state land, and one of the ranchers (since passed away) used to give outfitters permission to hunt his land. He'd tell them to ignore the small landowners like me that have parcels surrounded by his land as he retained right to hunt the land (totally not true). One day during elk season, my brother and I were on my land hunting and a truck barreled through the middle of my land. Four guys in blaze orange in the truck and I beat feet to intercept them, leaving my rifle and gear with my brother on the top of a rise.

I got to them and they were belligerent. First I told them to look at their GPS and they'd see that they aren't on the rancher's land. They did and then started to argue with me, as I own the land through an LLC and they insisted that I'd have to prove I owned the LLC. I didn't have a weapon on me that they could see (I kept a Glock 27 in my pocket, but didn't have it out) and these idiots decided that it was four guns against none and said something to the effect of they were in the right and I better get out of their way. I said that it wasn't such a smart move on their part. They asked why, and pointed out their guns and my lack of firepower.

I pointed up at the top of the ridge, where my brother had an AR pointed right at their truck, and said "he just got back from Afghanistan and he's not a bad shot."

Never had a problem with that rancher again and when he died, I made a point of introducing myself to the guy who took over his land to remind him that he doesn't own my land. It was all very cordial and the new owner has not been a problem. There are still idiots who think that my land is the rancher's land, but the rancher now tells them that they're wrong.

I never needed babysitting. Maybe you should buy a private ranch.

😆 can’t trust anyone with the super secret spots..
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
Montana was à différent place 35-40 years ago.

So was Colorado. I remember encountering that schidt when I was a young dude just starting to hunt elk. Hated it then and still do. Unless you're the type who enjoys confrontation. I'm not, and hassles take the fun out of hunting.

Ruined your favorite sledding spot did he? LOL

He said because it was public it’s OK.

I still disagree.

I still disagree.

That’s what they always say after they get busted…

Ruined your favorite sledding spot did he? LOL

You’re jealous of our sledding endeavors because you can’t make friends.
Show us on the doll where the Big Bad BGG touched you LOL

I still disagree.

He’s self absorbed.
Show us on the doll where the Big Bad BGG touched you LOL

The penis area.
Posted By: drover Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by coyote268

Of established National Forest Service roads, that were actually designated roads, I have seen far, far many more closed to public access by the National Forest Service themselves, than all other reasons combined.

The greenies they have running the place now don't want you in "their national forest land"............ OR the ranchers either, for that matter.

Yep, The Forest Service and BLM are the biggest road closers in central Idaho. You are absolutely correct about the greenies running it to their agenda - the only multiple use they want to allow is hiking and bicycling on public access. No logging, no livestock grazing, many areas are closed to hunting and shooting.

drover
The old timers around Miles City were great for letting you on their land. Many passed away and some land was sold or passed on. The hunters didn't change the landowners did. We quit hunting there that was a long time ago. I was told à rancher wouldn't let anyone on their land. He had a praire fire nobody came to help him put it out. I treasure the landowners that let me and my family hunt. It's a friendship thats "paid" with 30 packs of beer. Most hunters will not jeporize their privilège. I imagine it depends on where you live. Not saying landowners don't have problems but is it sometimes used as an excuse. Many times landowners have family and friends hunting and when they fill out they will let you on.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

That's pretty much what happened with my inlaw's property. My FIL would let almost anyone hunt, but he'd have them come by his office, look at the map he had there with a plexiglass sheet over it and mark out the area that the person had permission to trespass on, along with the dates and times. When my FIL passed, my MIL and BIL tried to keep it going, but too many people thought that having had permission to hunt in the past was an open invitation to continue to have acess to the ground whenever they wanted to and with whoever they wanted to bring with them. My BIL lives near the farms and didn't want to get into it with anyone, so my MIL closed it to all trespassing/hunting/trapping and left it to me to enforce it. I didn't live in the area, so I don't have a problem tearing down treestands or blinds and calling the sheriff and/or CO about trespassers. Being the trespassing police is a PITA and has prety much ruined firearms deer hunting for me in Nebraska. Since August 1st I've torn down 3 ladder stands and a stand with climbing poles, about average. I drag them out to the nearest maintained county road, then cut them up with a sawzall and leave the pile for the scrappers to pick up. If they have named on them, I try to contact the owner to let him/her know where his/her tree stand is. They expect it to be in the condition that they left it, but it never quite is. The farms are all fenced and no trespassing signs posted as required, so there is no question about where the boundrys are, all surveyed and marked within the past 3 years.

There a poster several years ago on here from Nebraska that freely admitted they had a big chunk of BLM landlocked with their private ground. They were insistent that they had the right to deny access and treat it as if it was their own. Though they hold no deed, and pay no taxes on it. I can’t remember the name, was it you by any chance?

I still disagree.

He’s self absorbed.

And you’re full of shidt about the coyote spot lol
Oh how quickly we forget.

And by the way, you would never let people cross your private land to access the public land behind it.

Stop kidding around.
What’s even worse than your friends is when you catch your wife out there hunting the spot you showed her. That bitch..
What’s even worse than your friends is when you catch your wife out there hunting the spot you showed her. That bitch..

I’m a huge fan of domestic violence.
I don’t know if I should punch her or the secret spot.

Sucks being cheated on..
I don’t know if I should punch her or the secret spot.

Sucks being cheated on..

Both.
Posted By: drover Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
Ted Turner has a pretty good sized piece of BLM landlocked at his Montana holdings and he doesn't let anyone have access to it. Actually BLM and Forest Service landlocked pieces are pretty common in Montana. I recall that 30 years or so ago there was a Sportsmans coalition trying to get something done about alloseing access to BLM/Forest Service land but I don't think it ever got anywhere.

Near Boise, Idaho there is a Texas landowner who has a Forest Service road gated and will not let anyone through, there have been complaints about it to the Forest Service but the last I read it was still gated. It cut off a lot of hunting access near the Boise area.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...o-wildlife-federation-says/277-618544197

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Ted Turner has a pretty good sized piece of BLM landlocked at his Montana holdings and he doesn't let anyone have access to it. Actually BLM and Forest Service landlocked pieces are pretty common in Montana. I recall that 30 years or so ago there was a Sportsmans coalition trying to get something done about alloseing access to BLM/Forest Service land but I don't think it ever got anywhere.

Near Boise, Idaho there is a Texas landowner who has a Forest Service road gated and will not let anyone through, there have been complaints about it to the Forest Service but the last I read it was still gated. It cut off a lot of hunting access near the Boise area.

drover

Does no one own a battery operated 4" grinder in all of Boise? Do they not sell them?

And by the way, you would never let people cross your private land to access the public land behind it.

Stop kidding around.

Spin your bullshidt lmao.

If I had a piece of public that was fully surrounded by mine I would have tried to buy it. But daddy didn’t leave me a ranch, and barring the lotto it ain’t gonna happen. Disallowing public access is bullshidt. And character assassination to say what I’d do in your imaginary scenario lol.

A guy has the absolute right to do what he wants with his land. Public land isn’t his land.
My inlaws had a section of BLM that was landlocked inside a ranch that they owned. My FIL had it surveyed and fenced so that there wasn't any question about what was deeded and what was BLM. The last guy from BLM who I spoke to about that lease told me that the only people with an implied easement across the deed land to the BLM land would be the grazing lease holder and the BLM peronnel. My inlaws held the grazing lease on that section of BLM, as did the previous owner, and I believe that the current owner has the grazing lease now.
My inlaws had a section of BLM that was landlocked inside a ranch that they owned. My FIL had it surveyed and fenced so that there wasn't any question about what was deeded and what was BLM. The last guy from BLM who I spoke to about that lease told me that the only people with an implied easement across the deed land to the BLM land would be the grazing lease holder and the BLM peronnel. My inlaws held the grazing lease on that section of BLM, as did the previous owner, and I believe that the current owner has the grazing lease now.

Screw BLM, that’s just helping another government agency screw the public. BS excuse

Stop kidding around.

If I had a piece of public that was fully surrounded by mine I would have tried to buy it. But daddy didn’t leave me a ranch, and barring the lotto it ain’t gonna happen. Disallowing public access is bullshidt. And character assassination to say what I’d do in your imaginary scenario lol.

A guy has the absolute right to do what he wants with his land. Public land isn’t his land.

If I asked to cut across your property you would say no.

You are a land bully, and you do not respect other people’s findings.

Stop kidding around.

If I asked to cut across your property you would say no.

You are a land bully, and you do not respect other people’s findings.

I bet if you weren’t looking he’d kick your dog too.
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Anyone that keeps people off public land should have their government programs terminated. Got no time for landowners that think they own the wildlife. There is a sense of entitlement in these people. Ever have someone tell you that you shot their deer. I haven't but I know of bordering land owners that have.
Anyone that keeps people off public land should have their government programs terminated. Got no time for landowners that think they own the wildlife. There is a sense of entitlement in these people. Ever have someone tell you that you shot their deer. I haven't but I know of bordering land owners that have.

Yes.

My reply was "oh, I'm sorry. Maybe next time you should paint your name on it's sides."

I bet if you weren’t looking he’d kick your dog too.

That’s more like something Flave would do.

Screw BLM, that’s just helping another government agency screw the public. BS excuse

BLM manages the land and if they tell me something that doesn't seem particularly germaine to my situation I take them at their word.

I never had much to do with the management of that ranch from 2004 to 2019 even though I had a limited POA to make decisions about it. It was my FIL's hobby plaything when he was alive. When he passed, my MIL leased it to a niece for taxes and fees and the niece and her husband ran cattle on it, but failed to make a go of it. After they quit the ranch, my MIL paid a family to take care the infrastructure and allowed them to run cattle to supplement their income. When my MIL passed, my BIL and Wife decided to sell it, but as part of the sales agreement we got perpetual trespassing rights to hunt on the deeded portion of the ranch. The guy that bought it installed his guy to take care of the infrastructure and leased the grazing rights to a neighbor.
First day of antelope in Wyoming I dropped two guys off at a little piece of BLM along the road that we had seen antelope on the day before while another guy and I drove up the road 20 miles or so to about a 1 mile square of state land.

After I killed a doe around 10 we drove down to see what the other two saw. My buddy tells me that right after daylight the owner of the adjoining land drove up to him on a SXS yelling about how would he feel if he owned land and people from out of state came and hunted in his back yard. Buddy showed him with Onyx that he was on legal hunting property but the guy didn't care. When the guy left he drove up to the other member of our party and grilled him. Fugkin asswhole then drove around trying to get the antelope to stay on his land.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
First day of antelope in Wyoming I dropped two guys off at a little piece of BLM along the road that we had seen antelope on the day before while another guy and I drove up the road 20 miles or so to about a 1 mile square of state land.

After I killed a doe around 10 we drove down to see what the other two saw. My buddy tells me that right after daylight the owner of the adjoining land drove up to him on a SXS yelling about how would he feel if he owned land and people from out of state came and hunted in his back yard. Buddy showed him with Onyx that he was on legal hunting property but the guy didn't care. When the guy left he drove up to the other member of our party and grilled him. Fugkin asswhole then drove around trying to get the antelope to stay on his land.

Doesn't Wyoming have hunter harassment laws?

I'd have deployed them...

drover
One of the facebook hunting groups I'm a member of has some guys who parachute into places like that and get picked up with helicopters.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/26/21
Got a neighbor that uses an airplane to herd elk onto his ranch where he sells hunts. Super illegal for your average Joe but when you make LARGE donations to the wildlife dept annually you can do whatever you want. Same dude who’s building the high fence to keep game on his place and off all the neighbors’, minor sticking point being he doesn’t have to run all the native game out ala state law because he’s leaving an opening on the part that borders a state owned area that’s closed to the general public. So the rest of us suck hind tit because he’s a dick with a bunch of money. Doesn’t matter that in the state’s eyes game animals are public property when the state keeps their eyes closed.

Doesn't Wyoming have hunter harassment laws?

I'd have deployed them...

I honestly don't know for sure but had it been me I'd have been on the phone. I asked my buddy if he bothered to call and he had not.
I’ve taken at least one locked gate off it’s hinges before. I like the barb wire gates with a lock on one end and barely a strand of wire holding it together on the other.

I agree that land owners shouldn't harass anyone who is on adjacent property.
On any public property, presumption being they didn’t trespass to get there.
There's legitimate gripes on both sides of this, ranchers and hunters. Didn't used to be so. My work takes me to ranchers all over the place and I've got more invites to come hunt than I'll ever use. Then there's a number of ranchers (or their heirs) who'd let my Dad and me hunt their places back in the Stone Age, when Montana was still Montana. Again, we're friends of long standing and yep, I'll never hunt all my opportunities, but I'll still swing by if only just to visit, maybe help fix fence until suppertime, because it's the relationships I value more than the hunting.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I’ve taken at least one locked gate off it’s hinges before. I like the barb wire gates with a lock on one end and barely a strand of wire holding it together on the other.

And then let all the cattle out...

Jim, see the first page of the cattle guard thread.
laugh
Originally Posted by stxhunter
[One of the facebook hunting groups I'm a member of has some guys who parachute into places like that and get picked up with helicopters.

WTF?! 102nd Airborne Hunters?! For real??
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
[One of the facebook hunting groups I'm a member of has some guys who parachute into places like that and get picked up with helicopters.

The skydiving part sounds nothing short of retarded but a member here documented his use of a chopper to access public land after he drew a tag.

The bird not only got them in and out, but it hauled their elk in the round and dropped it into the bed of their pickups.

It was cool.
There is a State refuge just down the dead end road from my property. Folks get to duck hunt early season there. Nobody ever comes down the gravel except for the farmers except for the early duck season, they see the ground and may spot deer out in the fields...

I have the entirety of the perimeter of my land posted as per TWRA and TCA rules, and I spend a lot of time running people off the ground that is mine, they will access the Refuge via the public road that splits my land and then walk back onto mine. Land has been in my family for a Century, designated as a Century Farm with a sign that says so. Never see a game warden, can't get one out. They do set up their stuffed deer about a mile back on 54, they have time for that...

I live an hour away, but working from "time" gives me a lot more time to hang around up there, now if the dang gas prices were not so high.

Damaging farm infrastructure is now a Class E Felony in TN (took effect July 1, 2021), that will change how fence cutters and such are treated.

I think I know exactly who you are referring to. Kinda NE of Carlsbad a little way. I've had business with him. Pretty pushy for someone who never had to work for what he has and has no appreciation for it.

Ed

The skydiving part sounds nothing short of retarded but a member here documented his use of a chopper to access public land after he drew a tag.

The bird not only got them in and out, but it hauled their elk in the round and dropped it into the bed of their pickups.

It was cool.
they are ex-military. They do the jumping because they can.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/27/21

Gates left open.

Trespassing.

Littering.

Absolutely.

Half the public land "hunters" should be runnoft.

Lol. Probably quite a bit of truth to that.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I think I know exactly who you are referring to. Kinda NE of Carlsbad a little way. I've had business with him. Pretty pushy for someone who never had to work for what he has and has no appreciation for it.

Ed

Mobley
His daddy leave him a chunk of land, a co-cola route and a warehouse of .22 ammo?
Posted By: Heeler Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/27/21

It was cool.

I remember that. Probably got Tourism to pay for it. 😁😂
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/27/21

Wow,talk about a set of balls.

It was cool.

Does that make it less retarded?
I’ve had this conversation too. The “rancher” was sorely mistaken about the meaning of free range. You can fence your place as much and whenever you want, but if you don’t, he’s right that his cows can have the run of it. He argued further that if we didn’t put a cattle guard on our highway access that we were liable when his cows became traffic fatalities. I was fine with a wire gate and a sign, but he buffaloed the neighbors into installing a cattle guard.

In return for his stewardship of the public lands, I try to thin out those jackrabbits eating “his” grass.

Bigger problem was two yahoos who pulled up beside the house in the dark, sat there on private property watching the BLM, even after they were asked to leave. Eventually leaned out and shot a cow elk, drove out and picked it up, all gone but the gutpile by the time the warden showed up.

Sister was there alone. She knows to get the license number now.

drover
One of the facebook hunting groups I'm a member of has some guys who parachute into places like that and get picked up with helicopters.

Damnit,I ain't that rich!

Just chase 'em around with a 4wheeler until they're plum tuckered out, they won't go nowhere's then.

Mama told me to never jump out of a flying machine that can still land safely.

If it's going tits up and gonna crash, give me the parachute!

It was cool.

Posted By: WTM45 Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/27/21

THE unknown variable.

Originally Posted by WTM45

THE unknown variable.

As I said, when it's tits up and fallin'

I'm willing to give that skydiving scheidt a try.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Hunter vs rancher yesterday - 10/27/21
It goes south well before that. wink

It was cool.

just means things you find retarded they find fun.

It was cool.

just means things you find retarded they find fun.

To me, it appears that they're sending a message to azzhole landowners that they won't be locked out of public land.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Mobley

Nope...That means that there are two asshats like that.

Ed
© 24hourcampfire