Home
Posted By: prplbkrr Moles - 11/02/21
Put out a Mole Eliminator trap. Instructions said to check 12-24 hrs. Got my 1st one in 45 mins. More to come.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Moles - 11/02/21
damn, I wish I was that good.

I have a few of those scissor traps. Maybe I catch one in a summer

I think they are likely to die of old age than be caught by me.
Posted By: pullit Re: Moles - 11/02/21
I have caught one mole, the rest never seem to take the same trail twice. Can't get rid of the dang things.
Posted By: ppfd Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Had a couple male cats. Would watch the ground move and dig them out.
Killed them and left them lay for me to dispose of grin

Granddad planted castor bean plants around the house. Said they got rid of moles.
Posted By: Crusader Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Put out a Mole Eliminator trap. Instructions said to check 12-24 hrs. Got my 1st one in 45 mins. More to come.

Would you post a pic of or a link to, the Mole Eliminator trap? My daughter's yard has a mole tearing it up and my old, spike-type trap isn't getting it done.
Posted By: killerv Re: Moles - 11/02/21
an insect killer, especially for grubs will take a lot of their food source away and they'll move on. But can get pricey depending on size of yard. I always use the Bayer soil/turn stuff. Late June down here is a good time to apply it, you are trying to kill all the grub babies.

My lab must be able to hear them. When we moved in, he would sit there barking at the ground like a crazy person. Then he started carrying moles around in his mouth.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Mole Eliminator Trap
Posted By: JeffA Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Nifty, dual action even

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
“I have a sister that’s covered in moles…”
Posted By: pullit Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by JeffA
Nifty, dual action even

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

That's the trap I have as well.

I killed the one, several came to the funeral and never left
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Technically they're not moles, they're pocket gophers.

I learned to trap them with a #0 or #1/2 or #1 leg hold trap. You find their hole and dig it out so that the trap can be placed level in the hole and has room to spring shut. Then you use a newspaper or a piece of plywood to cover the hole. Pour dirt on the newspaper/plywood so that no light can get in.

If you do it right, you should have one dead in 24hrs. It doesn't take long to clean them out.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Moles - 11/02/21

Buy a little terrior and train it to dig up the yard. Mine used to leave a gift on the doorstep once in a while....so proud.

Get some possums to help. They chew em up like candy.
They come and go, but keep to themselves if you don't leave out cat food.

Pull some black rat snakes off of the roads if you see any next spring. There's also gray, red corn snake varieties in different parts of the country. Milks and kings too. Learn what is local. They'll sniff em out better than a bunch of scent hounds and eat them all. Make sure you have an extra long pillow case in the car at all times. Don't injure it with s stick if you find one. Study videos on how to catch them.

These are purpose built better than anything else I've ever seen that's made by mere men.

HC
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
I used to have moles, and then i got the beagle. Daisy slaughters the moles. She plays with them like a cat with a mouse.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Posted By: Tigerluty Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Is mole that easy to remove? i have got a mole and it seems impossible to remove
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Moles - 11/02/21
I've caught a bunch of moles with scissors traps over the years. However, to be really successful you need to put in some time and figure out which runs they are using for travel as opposed to the short spurs where they just push up dirt. I also think it helps to wear rubber gloves when handling the traps.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Moles have been crazy this year for me. They are coming from everywhere. I have one of those old spring loaded spike things where you step down on a tunnel and place the trigger shoe on the smashed tunnel. Assuming it will back track or travel it again. Not very productive.

n
Posted By: GRF Re: Moles - 11/02/21
For both the pocket gopher and the mole I have found the black hole gopher trap to be awesome.

We get a lot more pocket gophers than moles.

https://ufa.com/myUFA/Yard%2C-Garden-%26-Home/Pest-Control/Rodent-Control/Black-Hole-Gopher-Trap/p/699079
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
I can get really phuqued up sitting in a chair with a twelve pack and a shotgun waiting for the little buggers to start pushing up soil in my general direction! I am thankful beer is so cheap!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by AB2506
Technically they're not moles, they're pocket gophers.

I learned to trap them with a #0 or #1/2 or #1 leg hold trap. You find their hole and dig it out so that the trap can be placed level in the hole and has room to spring shut. Then you use a newspaper or a piece of plywood to cover the hole. Pour dirt on the newspaper/plywood so that no light can get in.

If you do it right, you should have one dead in 24hrs. It doesn't take long to clean them out.

Wrong.

He's talking about moles that burrow just under the sod and make a mess of your grass. Not pocket gophers that dig tunnels and push up mounds of dirt.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Not moles but voles got me. Dam things cleaned out what was left of my green onion bed. I saw a stalk shaking and then it disappeared under ground. Little basturds
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Moles - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Tigerluty
Is mole that easy to remove? i have got a mole and it seems impossible to remove

They're not hard, and there are all sorts of new traps that should be easier than my old legholds. BTW, the moles are deceased in the legholds.

I would like to try some version of this.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/the-black-box-hole-gopher-and-mole-trap-acblackholetr
Posted By: skfullen Re: Moles - 11/03/21
If she is of the religious type, you should call her holy moley.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moles - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Tigerluty

They're not hard, and there are all sorts of new traps that should be easier than my old legholds. BTW, the moles are deceased in the legholds.

I would like to try some version of this.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/the-black-box-hole-gopher-and-mole-trap-acblackholetr

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moles - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Not moles but voles got me. Dam things cleaned out what was left of my green onion bed. I saw a stalk shaking and then it disappeared under ground. Little basturds

That's what I get too. Voles.

My female lab used to cock her head to the side and listen for them, pounce like a fox and leave the dead ones on the garage floor to show me what a good girl she is. smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Moles - 11/03/21

This is a mole

This is NOT a mole (one room schoolhouse in Salmon must have short changed some Elvis fans)

Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Moles - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I can get really phuqued up sitting in a chair with a twelve pack and a shotgun waiting for the little buggers to start pushing up soil in my general direction! I am thankful beer is so cheap!

In my younger days, I'd dig into a gopher mound, leave the tunnel open, step back a little ways and wait. Wouldn't be long before you would see dirt being pushed from inside the tunnel to stop it up. High brass #6's worked very well.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Moles - 11/03/21
I pump their tunnels with insecticide mixed with concentrated pepper extract. Seems to drive them out of the yard posthaste.

Would rather kill them but that is a mystic art to its own and I have never had any success with traps.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Moles - 11/03/21
I've had some luck sticking an extension on to the exhaust of my ATV and sticking the extension into one of their holes and letting the ATV idle for about 20 minutes, as I walk around and plug any other holes that I see exhaust escaping. Gas em!!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Moles - 11/03/21
I have shredded Irish Spring soap and scattered it around the active areas and they left. Now my neighbor has a cat and she's taken care of that problem.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Moles - 11/03/21
What does the last mole in the tunnel see? Molasses. One of my late father's.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moles - 11/04/21
Originally Posted by StGeorger
What does the last mole in the tunnel see? Molasses. One of my late father's.

haha

Good Dad joke there!
Posted By: Lansend Re: Moles - 11/04/21

Mole worm baits.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Moles - 11/04/21
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Moles - 11/04/21
Originally Posted by Crusader

Would you post a pic of or a link to, the Mole Eliminator trap? My daughter's yard has a mole tearing it up and my old, spike-type trap isn't getting it done.
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tek-100...hy=9018869&hvtargid=pla-707542855648
Posted By: barnabus Re: Moles - 11/05/21

i had a mole detrorying my yard.two months ago I bought same trap and caught him within two hours.u must use the long runs not the short branched ones.the trap works
Posted By: hanco Re: Moles - 11/05/21
I have the bastards in my yard, hate them
© 24hourcampfire