Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Subscapularis tendon in my shoulder. That's the one that usually tears when you fall over your own feet (like I did) and catch yourself with your hands (like I did), then cuss yourself for ever after (like I am). It's been since late July and it's not going away. I'm really tired of sleeping on my right side with a pillow under my arm. Pushing down hurts, like when I cut an elk steak or try to dip out a scoop of hard ice cream.
My elk season goes from Nov 10 to 30. This will be after that. I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks and there's no way I can deal with that while hunting. At least it's not on my shooting arm.
I would lift a glass to you healthy guys if I could.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Good luck and speedy recovery.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Odds are you'll be much better afterwards and with the scheduling working out like that........................good luck on the elk!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Best luck Rock Chuck ..
Good luck. I deal with a blown out knee but limp it along rather than going in under the knife until I have to.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Heal fast!

Good luck
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Hurry and get that Elk!

Screwed up my R. shoulder about 8 years ago snowmobiling. It's never been the same since. I'm guessing it'll end up being titanium one of these days.
Posted By: dale06 Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Knees, shoulders and hips, I know quite a few guys, including two brothers younger than me that have had major surgeries on knees and shoulders. In all cases, they’ve said, “ wish I would had it fixed sooner”
Good luck.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Rock Chuck: Best of luck with the surgeon and the surgery!
I hope you heal well and quickly.
Let us know how you are doing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
I fell 18 feet off a roof two years ago and basically tore my left arm off my body, including a complete tear of the subscapularis and supraspinatus and a partial tear of the infraspinatus. The surgery, which included rebuilding parts with cadaver tendon pieces, was a piece of cake. Virtually no pain afterwards and I'm back doing construction work. Though, there's certain overhead pushing movements that I can't do with that arm anymore. No pain at all and 100% range of motion.
They will fix you up!
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Been down a similar road with my left shoulder. I was too stubborn to go get it fixed, and lived in misery for way too long.

You'll be glad you got it dealt with right away.

Good luck on your hunt, and with your surgery.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Best of luck.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Clever scheduling, go on an elk hunt and not have to put up Christmas decorations, genius. Good luck w/ the surgery.

mike r
Posted By: High_Noon Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Use the other arm.

Wish you luck on yer hunt and with the surgery. Heal up quick.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Posted By: rem141r Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
never heard of that but sounds painful. i had a rotator cuff done a few years ago. not fun, and for about 18 months or more afterwards i was doubting whether it helped it or made it worse. then one day i realized it hadn't hurt for a long time and i have pretty much full use of it again. definitely put a kink in my hunting for one season but it was worth it. good luck
Posted By: navlav8r Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Catching yourself with your hands is better than landing on your face 😳
Posted By: g5m Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Subscapularis tendon in my shoulder. That's the one that usually tears when you fall over your own feet (like I did) and catch yourself with your hands (like I did), then cuss yourself for ever after (like I am). It's been since late July and it's not going away. I'm really tired of sleeping on my right side with a pillow under my arm. Pushing down hurts, like when I cut an elk steak or try to dip out a scoop of hard ice cream.
My elk season goes from Nov 10 to 30. This will be after that. I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks and there's no way I can deal with that while hunting. At least it's not on my shooting arm.

You'll want to follow the post-op instructions carefully. It's surprising how many people don't.
Posted By: Tigerluty Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Best of luck
Originally Posted by Esox357
Good luck and speedy recovery.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: EdM Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Best of luck to you RC.
Originally Posted by g5m

You'll want to follow the post-op instructions carefully. It's surprising how many people don't.

Good Luck!

I agree, the Re Hab is very important!
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Speedy, full recovery, Rock Chuck
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Is it your happy hand or the other one?
Posted By: mark shubert Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by dale06
Knees, shoulders and hips, I know quite a few guys, including two brothers younger than me that have had major surgeries on knees and shoulders. In all cases, they’ve said, “ wish I would had it fixed sooner”
Good luck.

Concerning my left shoulder, I agree. (~9 years)
Didn't wait that long on the right. (~1 year)
Posted By: hanco Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Good luck, I hope they get you fixed up!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: My turn for the knife - 11/02/21
Better that than the jab. Good fortune and God bless.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Good luck. I deal with a blown out knee but limp it along rather than going in under the knife until I have to.

Same here.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Godspeed RC.

Wish I was closer...I'd help you get your elk out!
Posted By: HughW Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by g5m

^^^ Having had this surgery -- This^^^

All the best with the wounded wing time in a sling.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
May the Good Lord guide the the surgeons Rock.
Posted By: Osky Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by HughW
Originally Posted by g5m

^^^ Having had this surgery -- This^^^

All the best with the wounded wing time in a sling.

This again. I tore my entire right shoulder “ off “ two years ago. All 4 muscle groups severed. Make sure you have the best surgeon you can get and absolutely do the after rehab completely and then some.
Good luck.

Osky
Posted By: hookeye Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Good call on after elk season.
Am trying to make it through deer season here w screwed
up shoulder.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Good luck on the elk hunt and the surgery after.

I caught myself falling over 3o years ago after having spine surgery.

Since then i have learned how to hit the ground rolling without trying to catching myself.

It sucks when your legs don't pay attention.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
I got lucky when I tripped. I didn't reach the ground but was able to grab something half way down. It could have been a whole lot worse. My wife wouldn't forgive me if I'd broken my pretty face.
Posted By: Scotty Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
praying for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
RC, glad you didn't damage your pretty face. Prayers for a complete recovery..
Posted By: shaman Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Remember to check your surgeon's hands.

No tremors
No nicotine stains
No dirt under the nails

Also ask him how many wives he's had: don't pick one that is swallowed up in alimony payments. He'll try to run up the bill.

That's what I did with mine before I had the nut job. I ended up with a real peach.
Rock,
Good luck and do the PT rehab religiously. It helps more than you can imagine.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Good luck on the surgery, Rock Chuck. Hope you pop a nice elk, too.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Agree with elk season priority, otherwise, get it done ASAP. I hate it when doctors say "oh, you can defer this a while". Nonsense! Our bodies aren't getting younger, and its healing powers aren't improving as we age. Get issue taken care of as soon as possible while you're young, healthy & strong constitution.

Good luck & speedy full recovery.
Posted By: memtb Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I can certainly understand trying to wait it out for self-healing! Good Luck on your surgery and recovery! memtb
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
My shoulder healed from partially torn tendons and ligaments where I had serious restriction of use and range of motion. It's better now, 100% range of motion and strength has returned.
Guess what?

I never had surgery.
I never had cortisone shots.
I survived the pain and discomfort.

There's guys on this forum that mock that, but guess what?
There was no exposure to harmful drugs, infection, harmful antibiotics, anesthesia resulting in oxygen deprivation.

I won't argue with anyone else's decision. However, surgery is the only option given when you go to a surgical referral system with an injury like this. Most talk about some guy carving on a man as if the carving doesn't require healing. They need time and the proper raw materials in order to heal, surgery or not.

Diet, as in what we eat, has much to do with recovery from injuries believe it or not. Those of us who eat game should know this. If we ate what provides tendon repair and joint repair, there would be less money going to surgeons and script writers.
My wife and I have a 2 man inflatable kayak. I tried it last month and while I could paddle it, my shoulder hurt enough that it wasn't fun and 15 minutes was more than enough. The shoulder won't get any better without the surgery. There are just too many things I can't do without getting it fixed.

I won't try to talk you into not getting surgery RC, but three months, especially while doing those types of activities, is a lot to ask of the body with that type of injury. That type of connective tissue requires a lot of time to heal even with the optimum food and supplements.
3 months? It'll be closer to 9 months. Also, I'm 73 so things heal slowly.
3 months? It'll be closer to 9 months. Also, I'm 73 so things heal slowly.

I understand.
That's pretty impressive that you and your bride are still out kayaking! That's something teenagers and 25 year olds usually do.
Hope you are out doing that again in the spring like spring chickens.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
Good luck RC.
Posted By: Springcove Re: My turn for the knife - 11/03/21
RC you’re a young 73 so you should heel fast. Good luck with your surgery and to a speedy recovery.
© 24hourcampfire