Home
Damn who would vote no on that type of contract wow. Oh wait greedy uaw members.

On Tuesday, John Deere's UAW members voted to reject an offer from the company that would have meant a 30% pay raise over the six-year term of the contract, along with an $8,500 ratification bonus and new paid parental leave, among other benefits boosts, while maintaining their zero-premium health care coverage.

Roughly 55% of John Deere's UAW membership voted down the deal. The initial offer was rejected by 90% of workers, and would have meant immediate pay raises of 5% and 6% depending on the worker, with 3% raises in subsequent years.

After workers turned down the second deal, Deere & Co. chief administrative officer Marc Howze told Bloomberg, "The agreement that we provided is frankly our best and final offer. In order for us to be competitive we have gone as far as we're gonna go."

Howze added, "We're not going back to the bargaining table. There's nothing else to bargain about."

Upon news of the second rejection on Tuesday of the contract covering more than 10,000 Deere workers in several Midwest states, Howze said in a statement that the company would "execute the next phase of our Customer Service Continuation Plan." Deere has kept operations at their affected plants running since the October 14 strike began by calling in trained, salaried non-union employees.

Deere spokesperson Jennifer Hartmann told FOX Business Wednesday evening, "We are continuing discussions with the UAW, but we believe we’ve exhausted our options economically – while still remaining competitive. Our employees currently earn the best wages and benefits in the industry."

When reached by FOX Business for a response to Deere's position, UAW spokesperson Brian Rothenburg said, "We are still on strike. The elected bargaining team Vice President [Chuck] Browning and the UAW team continue to discuss next steps."

"The UAW appreciates the community support of our members on the picket line," Rothenburg added.
What else is in the contract.....like maybe language to close certain plants?
Aint nuthin ever free.

If theyre offering you something theyre also gonna take away something.
They should all be fired and Deeere should continue with their salaried, non-union workers.

Deere should then move all operations to At Will States.

Screw those union commies.

Stupid should be painful, especially in this uncertain economy.
And that is part of the risk.

Originally Posted by hookeye

Aint nuthin ever free.

If theyre offering you something theyre also gonna take away something.

No fan of labor unions and especially not the UAW but this is often the case when union members reject labor contracts containing what sounds like 'juicy' economic packages... Ironically, the liberal news media reports the juicy stuff to the general public but rarely ever details the critical issues.

I agree.
But I gotta say, I'd love to vote on that next year in our contract.
Sure beats the 3% raises we don't always get.
The $350/month insurance with $3 or 4k deductibles.

A smart man would try to give up that $8500 bonus in return for more
raise.

UAW=You ain't working!
Deere said ... they will "execute the next phase of our Customer Service Continuation Plan."

What does this mean?
Originally Posted by High_Noon
They should all be fired and Deeere should continue with their salaried, non-union workers.

Bullshit, they are working with what they have...good luck to them.
Originally Posted by joken2

No fan of labor unions and especially not the UAW but this is often the case when union members reject labor contracts containing what sounds like 'juicy' economic packages... Ironically, the liberal news media reports the juicy stuff to the general public but rarely ever details the critical issues.

From what I've read Deere is trying to get them to give up pensions, that's why it keeps getting voted down. As usual the media puts out a bunch of slanted BS and leaves out the real story.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

From what I've read Deere is trying to get them to give up pensions, that's why it keeps getting voted down. As usual the media puts out a bunch of slanted BS and leaves out the real story.

And as usual the resident jack-asses start pointing the finger and shouting "commie"...too stupid to realize it is mostly working men trying to do for their families.

The story is pro Deere. I thought the media was pro democrat.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Media is pro anything that will make a buck regardless of whose arse it has to lick.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Media is pro anything that will make a buck regardless of whose arse it has to lick.

Recent events show that to be false, obviously.

And as usual the resident jack-asses start pointing the finger and shouting "commie"...too stupid to realize it is mostly working men trying to do for their families.

In the US the unions vote democrat overwhelmingly.

I don't give a flying fuck what they vote...they are doing for their own which is what we all do.

Or don't you think workers should be able to stand and bargain to do better...maybe you think they should just roll over and take a screwing like obedient dogs.

Screw you.
ok, we'll pay you what you want, but we're gonna lay off half of ya to do it!

if its on face value a money grab by the union, shame on them, but I have to believe there is more to the story. It would be hard for any working man to walk away from that kind of offer.

Local 798 openly supported Trump
Gee. I wonder why manufacturers close up and go outside US borders? whistle

Union leadership is in bed with democrats but the days of union workers blindly supporting democrats is long over. Anyone earning a middle class wage would be crazy to vote for democrats today. Democrats are the party of illegal aliens, non-working welfare cheats, and multi-millionaire east and west coast lefties, they abandoned people who work for a living long ago.

Deere's plants are mostly in Iowa and Kansas, I doubt there are many Biden voters amongst their workers.

I don't give a flying fuck what they vote...they are doing for their own which is what we all do.

Or don't you think workers should be able to stand and bargain to do better...maybe you think they should just roll over and take a screwing like obedient dogs.

Screw you.

More on the contract they were voting on.

By Carson J.S. Reichardt
Published: Nov. 1, 2021 at 3:26 AM UTC

DES MOINES, Iowa (WOI) - The United Auto Workers (UAW) revealed new details today in the tentative agreement reached between the union and John Deere after workers have been on strike for more than two weeks.

Union workers have raised concerns over wages, pensions and health care benefits. Under the new proposal, wages will increase by 10% in the first year, then increase by 5% every other year—with 3% lump sum payments every year in between.

There will also be a post-retirement health care fund for workers, with an additional $2,000 in seed money per year of service. Finally, all employees will be eligible for a retirement bonus of up to $50,000, based on the number of years they’ve worked for Deere.

When the new agreement comes up for a vote, workers said they’re confident in their bargaining position.

ADVERTISEMENT
“Deere is not in any position to play too many games,” said Chris Laursen, a member of UAW’s Local 74 chapter. “I mean, they have some loyal customers out there, many of them that stand by us, support our strike. Give us something fair, and let’s get back to work and take care of these farmers.”

UAW President Ray Curry also voiced support for the agreement.

“Our UAW John Deere national bargaining team went back to our local members after the previous tentative agreement and canvassed the concerns and priorities of membership,” UAW President Ray Curry said. “We want to thank the UAW bargaining team and striking UAW members and their families for the sacrifices they have made to achieve these gains. Our members have enjoyed the support of our communities and the entire labor movement nationwide as they have stood together in support and solidarity these past few weeks.”

Voting on the new contract is currently scheduled for November 2 at 10 a.m. At least until then, strikers will remain on the picket lines.
Newsflash, lots of UAW people are not democrats
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why is that?
Originally Posted by jwp475

Why is that?

Generally so they can screw someone else harder.
And I bet a lot of critics wish they had a decent job w benefits.

Unfortunately these days its a two tier system and it takes several years to get full wage, and theres no pension.

Low seniority also means bumped to diff shifts, while higher chase the overtime or just swap for whatever.

One could very well be missing lots of family time working a hot and crappy job

Sure some folks dont do much and seem to phouk off all the time.

But the union aint stupid and luckily has good workers in the right places to take up the slack.

Outside of Detroit or St Louis i reckon the republican numbers or workers much higher

Why is that?

No OSHA or EPA

Why is that?

Generally so they can screw someone else harder.

I wanted the "know it all" to answer. Tax structure is a huge reason for moving out of the U. S. but I doubt he knows that.
All the hippies are cool w Dukfook dumping barrels of Tric in the creek out back across the pond as long as the Apple goodies keep comin.

Dunno what Pedros dumping
Here is what workers voted on Tuesday:

Wages
According to a contract summary, workers would receive an immediate 10% increase in wages in the first year and an additional 5% in the third and fifth years. But some of that increase is tied to inflation through cost of living adjustments (COLA), which have the potential to change.
The proposed COLA would adjust every three months with inflation. The first adjustment would be effective in December.
On the second, fourth, and six years, workers would get 3% lump sum payments. Upon ratification of the contract, workers would receive a $8,500 bonus.
Health care
There would be no changes in the cost of health insurance under the new agreement. Workers would pay $0 in premiums, have no deductibles or coinsurance, and no changes in co-pays.
Union members would receive two weeks of fully-paid parental leave. The insurance would also cover autism care and vision costs, including exams, frames, and lenses.
New hires would receive health care coverage after 30 days of employment on the first of the following month.
Retirement
Current and future union workers would choose between the traditional-plus and choice-plus retirement plans.
The traditional-plus plan allows employees to have a defined benefits pension, an increased multiplier for monthly pension for each year of service and fully own their pension after three years of service. The traditional-plus plan’s post-retirement health care fund offers cash balance savings. There will also be $2,000 of seed money per year of service.
The choice-plus plan includes a dollar for dollar 401(k) match up to 6% for 2022, then $0.70-$1 match for each year after. The specific match amount would be determined based on company profits. The company will also contribute 5% of employees’ annual wages to their 401(k).
The retirement bonus for both plans would total $37,500 for 10-24 years of service and $50,000 for 25 years or more.
They should quit and perhaps start a new career, maybe coding.

Yeah no surprise why there smaller <200 horse power are made elsewhere. ( I believe )

I ran a 7150r sweet tractor, but made in Germany…
Seems the big hang up is post retirement health care coverage.
If its tier 2 system that 401k wont get much worker contribution.....hollow promise until one is about topped out on wage.

Yeah the company puts some in, but it aint gonna be a pension.

Maybe young workers can do alright. Those coming in late, are gonna be fugged if they're the bread winner.

Union leadership is in bed with democrats but the days of union workers blindly supporting democrats is long over. Anyone earning a middle class wage would be crazy to vote for democrats today. Democrats are the party of illegal aliens, non-working welfare cheats, and multi-millionaire east and west coast lefties, they abandoned people who work for a living long ago.

Deere's plants are mostly in Iowa and Kansas, I doubt there are many Biden voters amongst their workers.

Biden took 45% of the vote in Iowa and probably about the same in Kansas. So somebody is obliviously voting democrat.

In MN an MI the unions are part of the democrat machine and always have been. There may be a shift, which I am grateful for, but unions still vote their pocket books, and democrats still protect them far more than republicans.
Originally Posted by 79S
Seems the big hang up is post retirement health care coverage.

How much goes gov when one turns 65?
Without coverage til then, retiring early might be rather risky.

And repetitive motion, accidents....a lot of workers aint gonna be working til 65.

Biden took 45% of the vote in Iowa and probably about the same in Kansas. So somebody is obliviously voting democrat.

In MN an MI the unions are part of the democrat machine and always have been. There may be a shift, which I am grateful for, but unions still vote their pocket books, and democrats still protect them far more than republicans.

Democrats have long since stopped supporting workers and that includes unions. Democrats talk support but never produce any.
I'm not against unions. I know wall street would rape the workers in this country in a heart beat.

Unions just suffer from the same problem the people on wall street suffer from.

Democrats have long since stopped supporting workers and that includes unions. Democrats talk support but never produce any.

Yup. Its all about keeping the fat corrupt cats in Detroit happy.

The UAW doesn't think so...unless I missed their unwavering support for Trump the last two elections.

I have a friend who works at the Waterloo plant. He isn't in the union.
Originally Posted by 79S
ADVERTISEMENT
“Deere is not in any position to play too many games,” said Chris Laursen, a member of UAW’s Local 74 chapter. “I mean, they have some loyal customers out there, many of them that stand by us, support our strike. Give us something fair, and let’s get back to work and take care of these farmers.”

Who do you think is going to pay for all these demands?
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
So... say the union workers prevail.. They get everything they want.

Who really pays for it?

And with what consequences?

Retail customers will have to pay more. And with JD already much more expensive than the competition in most cases, the competition will get more sales, and JD sales will lag. When sales lag, the JD workforce will be laid off or cut in hours or pay. Or driven into bankruptcy, and then sold off in a fire sale to a foreign corp that moves more jobs overseas, and shutters American plants.

In the meantime, the competition is seeing a growth in sales and can put more money into innovative new refinements.

Looks kinda like a Catch 22 for JD and the workers to me.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Don’t fire them, then you become the bad guy. Just hire replacement workers, train them and bring the plants back up over time. It will be a struggle for a while.
But how can you run a successful business with employees that have that kind of mentality. Think long term and get ride of the slugs that are on the payroll.

Are they going to buy them out? If so, based on it being 100% funded, or a lesser percentage?
So... say the union workers prevail.. They get everything they want.

Who really pays for it?

And with what consequences?

Retail customers will have to pay more. And with JD already much more expensive than the competition in most cases, the competition will get more sales, and JD sales will lag. When sales lag, the JD workforce will be laid off or cut in hours or pay. Or driven into bankruptcy, and then sold off in a fire sale to a foreign corp that moves more jobs overseas, and shutters American plants.

In the meantime, the competition is seeing a growth in sales and can put more money into innovative new refinements.

Looks kinda like a Catch 22 for JD and the workers to me.

Exactly, cutting their own throat.
I'm not against unions. I know wall street would rape the workers in this country in a heart beat.

Unions just suffer from the same problem the people on wall street suffer from.

I'm kinda with you on that.

The workers need a voice - and there are many instances of unions resulting in great gains for the worker.

but then the union reps and officers start doing their horseshit, focusing on sabotaging the work place, aligning themselves with politicians for kickbacks and suddenly being a union rep is a lucrative career that pays more than the workers make on the line - and the only way they keep the job is to keep the union members ginned up about how management is out to screw them
Originally Posted by 79S

Wages
According to a contract summary, workers would receive an immediate 10% increase in wages in the first year and an additional 5% in the third and fifth years. But some of that increase is tied to inflation through cost of living adjustments (COLA), which have the potential to change.
The proposed COLA would adjust every three months with inflation. The first adjustment would be effective in December.
On the second, fourth, and six years, workers would get 3% lump sum payments. Upon ratification of the contract, workers would receive a $8,500 bonus.
Health care
There would be no changes in the cost of health insurance under the new agreement. Workers would pay $0 in premiums, have no deductibles or coinsurance, and no changes in co-pays.
Union members would receive two weeks of fully-paid parental leave. The insurance would also cover autism care and vision costs, including exams, frames, and lenses.
New hires would receive health care coverage after 30 days of employment on the first of the following month.
Retirement
Current and future union workers would choose between the traditional-plus and choice-plus retirement plans.
The traditional-plus plan allows employees to have a defined benefits pension, an increased multiplier for monthly pension for each year of service and fully own their pension after three years of service. The traditional-plus plan’s post-retirement health care fund offers cash balance savings. There will also be $2,000 of seed money per year of service.
The choice-plus plan includes a dollar for dollar 401(k) match up to 6% for 2022, then $0.70-$1 match for each year after. The specific match amount would be determined based on company profits. The company will also contribute 5% of employees’ annual wages to their 401(k).
The retirement bonus for both plans would total $37,500 for 10-24 years of service and $50,000 for 25 years or more.

My brother in law works at the Waterloo John Deere. The company offered everyone a 2% raise per year for the next 6 years. Of course, they went on strike. This offer is huge but it's still not enough for the UAW. It's always never been enough and the UAW always does this every time the economy is going through a tough time. We have a big John Deere plant in the town I live in so for the last 40 years I have been a front row spectator to the UAW and John Deere. I even knew some of the union stewards in years passed. They were dicks on their best days. It wasn't about making a quality product for the farming industry and having a good job to raise your family, it was how much money can we squeeze out of the farmers who buy the products. Go price anything John Deere and tell me it's not expensive. That's your UAW. I have no time for them.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 79S

Wages
Health care
Retirement

My brother in law works at the Waterloo John Deere. The company offered everyone a 2% raise per year for the next 6 years. Of course, they went on strike. This offer is huge but it's still not enough for the UAW. It's always never been enough and the UAW always does this every time the economy is going through a tough time. We have a big John Deere plant in the town I live in so for the last 40 years I have been a front row spectator to the UAW and John Deere. I even knew some of the union stewards in years passed. They were dicks on their best days. It wasn't about making a quality product for the farming industry and having a good job to raise your family, it was how much money can we squeeze out of the farmers who buy the products. Go price anything John Deere and tell me it's not expensive. That's your UAW. I have no time for them.

kwg

John Deere also makes tractors in other countries and they are expensive as well,, do you blame the UAW for that?

Yea, but their union dues go to support the Democrat party. Pretty disgusting.

Yep. Or move south to be more reasonable labor environment.
Union states and cities seem to be plagued with poverty.

Right to work states seem to be flourishing?

I've not done a lot of research on that, but it sure seems to be the case.
Anytime I see the company offering "30% wage increases" and it getting voted down, I instantly know there's a lot more to this story. Seriously, contracts are typically 3ish year deals and 30% is typical of 10 plus years worth of progress.....so if someone is offering 30% to be happy, either you were getting screwed or are fixin' to be.

I'm not a company nor union loyalist. I have made my fortune by doing what's best for me which has also been by making my company money through solid effort and good choices.....but I work for my future first.
Originally Posted by 79S

Wages
Health care
Retirement

kwg

John Deere also makes tractors in other countries and they are expensive as well,, do you blame the UAW for that?

Yes. John Deere is the big dog in the tractor business. That allows the minor players to price their products just under what John Deere is pricing theirs for. You can bet that if the price of John Deere's products go up 5% then everyone else is going to go up 4.9%.

kwg
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Yep. Or move south to be more reasonable labor environment.
American workers should just be happy to take Chinese/Mexican/Indian wages and benefits and STFU.

Taking the current inflation rate in consideration Deere's annual wage increase percentage offer really doesn't look all that impressive...
Defined benefit packages went out in the '80s. They are too risky.
If its tier 2 system that 401k wont get much worker contribution.....hollow promise until one is about topped out on wage.

Maybe young workers can do alright. Those coming in late, are gonna be fugged if they're the bread winner.

This simply untrue.

Pensions are the opium of the middle class.

* Pensions offer a terrible rate of return on the money invested. Just investing in index funds in a 401K will just about double your returns. Which means that after 30 years of service you will have three times as much income as with a pension. After 40 years, four times.

* pensions are a fixed income stream after retirement. What do you think inflation will do to your buying power in the 30 years of retirement? A 4401K, invested in equities, would keep right on trucking and outpace inflation.

*.pensions tie employees and employers together. If the employee is tired, burnt out, needs to move to take care of a parent, or the work is physically damaging, to name a few things, quitting often means giving up a large invested pension. With a 401K, you just pick up and go to a greener pasture.

Anyone who prefers a pension over a 401K simply doesn’t understand both systems.
Originally Posted by Dutch

This simply untrue.

Pensions are the opium of the middle class.

* Pensions offer a terrible rate of return on the money invested. Just investing in index funds in a 401K will just about double your returns. Which means that after 30 years of service you will have three times as much income as with a pension. After 40 years, four times.

* pensions are a fixed income stream after retirement. What do you think inflation will do to your buying power in the 30 years of retirement? A 4401K, invested in equities, would keep right on trucking and outpace inflation.

*.pensions tie employees and employers together. If the employee is tired, burnt out, needs to move to take care of a parent, or the work is physically damaging, to name a few things, quitting often means giving up a large invested pension. With a 401K, you just pick up and go to a greener pasture.

Anyone who prefers a pension over a 401K simply doesn’t understand both systems.

Ya, 401ks the way to go crazy You ignore that almost everyone who gets a pension also has a 401k. Now there are some variances in that some contribute to their pension(I dont) and some only get .50 on the dollar to 6% on their 401k, but having both is much better than a single 401k.
Hmmm...wonder whats going on here???? whistle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
is 22,000 alot?

sure they did
Originally Posted by KFWA
is 22,000 alot?

Yes, for a short period of time. No if over the span of a year. But its just the beginning.
Originally Posted by ribka

sure they did

Why would you question this? Do you have insider info?

Bullshit, they are working with what they have...good luck to them.

those poor union workers just trying to put food into their starving children's mouths

Originally Posted by pahick
[quote=JSTUART]

sure they did

Is this a lie?

https://uaw.org/uaw-endorses-joseph-biden-president-united-states-america/

those poor union workers just trying to put food into their starving children's mouths

Whats the big deal? Walk on most construction sites and you see the same. Pretty lame dig
[quote=JSTUART]

sure they did

Is this a lie?

LOCAL you simple fück, not international. What dont you understand here??

here's your union openly supporting illegal workers over American citizens

https://uaw.org/uaw-statement-on-immigration-reform/

[quote=JSTUART]

sure they did

Is this a lie?

LOCAL you simple fück, not international. What dont you understand here??
ExxonMobil is working the union hard at their Beaumont refinery with a 6+ month lockout and rumblings of a real effort to toss the union. I do believe that ExxonMobil is fully capable of this.
Originally Posted by EdM
ExxonMobil is working the union hard at their Beaumont refinery with a 6+ month lockout and rumblings of a real effort to toss the union. I do believe that ExxonMobil is fully capable of this.

Yep.

Especially in Beaumont.
typical union worker's response: "Everyone gets high and drunk at work using heavy machinery, what's the big deal?"

Whats the big deal? Walk on most construction sites and you see the same. Pretty lame dig

........... I even knew some of the union stewards in years passed. They were dicks on their best days. It wasn't about making a quality product for the farming industry and having a good job to raise your family, it was how much money can we squeeze out of the farmers who buy the products......

Since when does UAW sell farm equipment....or any product for that matter?
Who gets a pension and zero premium health insurance these days?
typical union worker's response: "Everyone gets high and drunk at work using heavy machinery, what's the big deal?"

No, not typical union response. You took a dig at union workers knowing damn full well it happens across all industry. But its the unions!! PFFFTT!!!!
Originally Posted by smokepole
Who gets a pension and zero premium health insurance these days?

More than you realize.
No one I know. Must all be union members. Excepting military, of course.
No one I know. Must all be union members.

Almost certainly. Strictly talking middle class...if thats a thing anymore...how bout stock options? Hmmm? How many folks receive those?
The new customer service plan will include your "New Made in Mexico" John Deere.
Did I ever tell my union story from the Beaver Valley in PA? Was looking at a cement plant, doing an audit for a customer that sent liquid hazardous waste there to be incinerated in the kiln.

They had a clay pit and a limestone quarry right there on-site providing the raw materials for cement. There wasn't much going on in the plant, not a lot of activity related to cement-making. Just a custodial crew.

We saw a big ocean going freighter docked at their pier so I asked what it was hauling. The answer was "clinker," the intermediary in cement manufacturing that's produced when you heat the raw materials in the kiln, but before processing. Looks like dirt clods.

They were shipping these dirt clods over from Spain because it was cheaper to do that than to process the raw materials right there on-site. When I asked how that could be, the answer I got was: "see that guy over there pushing the broom? He's union and he gets $XXX/hr."

I forget what the amount was, but the message was clear.

Almost certainly. Strictly talking middle class...if thats a thing anymore...how bout stock options? Hmmm? How many folks receive those?

As a percentage of the work force, very few.
Did I ever tell my story about unions in Philadelphia? We were working on a project site, drilling test borings. Union got wind of it and shut the project site down until we hired two of their people for the project.

Lazy MF-ers showed up and sat in their truck the whole time which was fine with us because they had no clue what we were doing.

Value-added, LOL.
Did I ever tell my union story from the Beaver Valley in PA? Was looking at a cement plant, doing an audit for a customer that sent liquid hazardous waste there to be incinerated in the kiln.

They had a clay pit and a limestone quarry right there on-site providing the raw materials for cement. There wasn't much going on in the plant, not a lot of activity related to cement-making. Just a custodial crew.

We saw a big ocean going freighter docked at their pier so I asked what it was hauling. The answer was "clinker," the intermediary in cement manufacturing that's produced when you heat the raw materials in the kiln, but before processing. Looks like dirt clods.

They were shipping these dirt clods over from Spain because it was cheaper to do that than to process the raw materials right there on-site. When I asked how that could be, the answer I got was: "see that guy over there pushing the broom? He's union and he gets $XXX/hr."

I forget what the amount was, but the message was clear.

And? Its the union workers fault? Its not the little guy pushing the broom for 25/hr making those, sometimes illegal, decisions.

I want you to look up China steel dumping. See who was working with who to try to stop it.
Did I ever tell my story about unions in Philadelphia? We were working on a project site, drilling test borings. Union got wind of it and shut the project site down until we hired two of their people for the project.

Lazy MF-ers showed up and sat in their truck the whole time which was fine with us because they had no clue what we were doing.

Value-added, LOL.

We do that all the time. The CBA calls for union workers, if youre gonna farm it out we are gonna have guys, under the CBA, overlook the project. Or we shut it down. Company signed the CBA to use union workers, its not the unions decision to farm out work. If company thinks they can farm it out and abide by the CBA at the same time and come out $$$$ ahead so be it.

Somebody has to stand up and be the voice of the very elite!
I'm in the BLET union, I have to be for my job because I work for BNSF RR. I don't like the National leadership and the way they tell us to vote. Most of our local doesn't feel the same way as National as our biggest commodity we hauled was coal for over 20 years. However the union has negotiated pretty good pay and benefits for us in the past.

We got a letter late 2019 from BNSF as our current contract was open for negotiations Jan 2020. The carrier basically said we were overpaid, under worked, and had too good of benefits and they are wanting to align with what the current corporate trends to stay competitive. So their main focus was to cut our two man crew in half on the majority of freight trains. Cut our pay, take away unpaid time off, a week/2 weeks of vacation from the employees with 25+ years, and make us pay more for our Health insurance.

Unions must be different in Oz. I love foreigners opining on domestic issues in the U.S. lol
Originally Posted by 79S

Wages
Health care
Retirement

WTF is autism care?

Most factory jobs around here are non union and don't pay a middle class income nor pensions or free health insurance. The few that do are union.

sure they did

Dipsh!t,When Danny Hendrix 798 Business Manger was on Fox News he wore a Trump hat

sure they did

Dipsh!t,When Danny Hendrix 798 Business Manger was on Fox News he wore a Trump hat

ribka is one stupid mötherfücker who doesnt know jack!
Well...at least he wore a hat!

Hahaha!
Sounds like if folks want to work, they surely can.
Not happy with the compensation? Feel free to find another employer.
Why is this even an issue?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hahaha!

And he voted. The international cant take that away from you.

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Unions are there for the working man.

I almost typed that all the way out without laughing.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

And companies are? PFFTT!!
Don't be so sure the members rejected that contract. Their locals board did the negotiating and I'll bet the terms haven't been formally presented to the membership.

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Yup. Better to halt production and then either downsize or go bankrupt so the commie fugks can have autism care, paternal leave, and free healthcare to the grave.

Makes total sense, especially while they donate hugely to elect politicians who do not represent their members’ positions.

Makes total sense man.

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Yup. Better to halt production and then either downsize or go bankrupt so the commie fugks can have autism care, paternal leave, and free healthcare to the grave.

Makes total sense, especially while they donate hugely to elect politicians who do not represent their members’ positions.

Makes total sense man.

And when the next group of employees exercise their right to organize??? Ya, total sense.
Fire em and hire guys that want to work not form a union.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^
Just fire the strikers and hire permanent replacements. It's legal and in the long run you end up with a far better company.

Somebody has to stand up and be the voice of the very elite!

I'd do it if I could get a pension and zero premium health insurance as part of the deal. I'm selfless like that.

Local manufacturing company did something similar but it didn't quite turn out as well for the company and many management employees as they believed it would...

The end result was while successful in getting the union completely out of the plant and hiring all new contract temps as their replacements, after a couple years the temps got fed up with not having any real permanent job security and started threatening walkouts and possible unionizing unless they were made permanent employees with full benefits.

Had a couple of serious injuries inside the plant with one fatal when a inexperienced but overconfident salaried employee operating an overhead crane slapped the elevated scissors lift they were working out of with the crane and knocked it over.

Prior to getting rid of union, salaried management blamed poor production numbers, excessive scrap, maintenance problems, employee issues, etc., on the union. After getting rid of union all the same problems were still there and got even worse but management could no longer could use the union as a scapegoat to cover for their lack of management skills.

Had a fair amount of felons and thugs among the temps, too. Rampant thievery of company asserts of anything they could carry became common. Female salaried employees were warned by corporate to not get too friendly or be alone with temps ever and to make sure to check inside their vehicles before getting in them and also make sure they weren't followed when leaving. A chief of a hired contract security force was removed when he was seen buying switchblade knives from a local pawn shop and selling them to thug wannabe temps inside the plant.

After getting rid of the union over the next several years the company went public and saw it's stock go from a high to literally pocket change a share three times, filed bankruptcy once and was about to a second time when is was bought by a private investment group.

This had been a company that consistently held 70% market share for many years in the product it manufactured before getting rid of the experienced union employees and hiring inexperienced nonunion.

Local manufacturing company did something similar but it didn't quite turn out as well for the company and many management employees as they believed it would...

The end result was while successful in getting the union completely out of the plant and hiring all new contract temps as their replacements, after a couple years the temps got fed up with not having any real permanent job security and started threatening walkouts and possible unionizing unless they were made permanent employees with full benefits.

Had a couple of serious injuries inside the plant with one fatal when a inexperienced but overconfident salaried employee operating an overhead crane slapped the elevated scissors lift they were working out of with the crane and knocked it over.

Prior to getting rid of union, salaried management blamed poor production numbers, excessive scrap, maintenance problems, employee issues, etc., on the union. After getting rid of union all the same problems were still there and got even worse but management could no longer could use the union as a scapegoat to cover for their lack of management skills.

Had a fair amount of felons and thugs among the temps, too. Rampant thievery of company asserts of anything they could carry became common. Female salaried employees were warned by corporate to not get too friendly or be alone with temps ever and to make sure to check inside their vehicles before getting in them and also make sure they weren't followed when leaving. A chief of a hired contract security force was removed when he was seen buying switchblade knives from a local pawn shop and selling them to thug wannabe temps inside the plant.

After getting rid of the union over the next several years the company went public and saw it's stock go from a high to literally pocket change a share three times, filed bankruptcy once and was about to a second time when is was bought by a private investment group.

This had been a company that consistently held 70% market share for many years in the product it manufactured before getting rid of the experienced union employees and hiring inexperienced nonunion.

I did t say hire temps with no bennies. But I can see why you’d want to frame it that way. Nor have I ever absolved management of wrong doing in any of the multitude of union threads here
The only way a unionista can win a debate is to spin , add bullshidt, rinse, and repeat.

I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 Alex.....
I was in a union for 18 years and all they did was protect the workers that should have been fired. They always insisted on a strike vote without telling us what the company was offering and twice we went on strike without knowing what the company had offered. The union ended the strikes without telling us what the company was offering and we didn't get to vote on accepting the offer. After the first strike I found out that after being on strike for 3 weeks that I got $.05 more per hour than the company's original offer and that the company could send us anywhere in the country with 7 days notice. The union eventually ran our wages up so high that the company couldn't afford us and started using contractors. Kind of like the auto industry. When we were on strike it was party time for the highly paid union bosses who kept getting paid.

I did t say hire temps with no bennies. But I can see why you’d want to frame it that way. Nor have I ever absolved management of wrong doing in any of the multitude of union threads here

In the beginning the temps were contracted through a processional temp service that specialized in supplying workers for labor strikes as were the security guards. Later on the company started hiring some on it's own via independent contract "scab" workers. Also, in the beginning a total of 28 union "scabs" crossed the picket line and returned to work with promises by company management of great things for them for their sacrifice. Actual strike lasted just a few weeks when the membership voted to return to work under the terms of old contract while company and union continued to negotiate a new contract. As soon as the company got wind of the vote they immediately threw up a formal 'lockout' which by law meant they could not allow any of the original union workforce back to work so they had to kick the 28 union "scab" workers out the door. This 'lockout' went on for a total of 4 - 1/2 years until the UAW pulled that local's charter and walked away as if it never existed.
Let the general electric locomotive plant in Erie be your guide
It's owned by Westinghouse now....

Dave

In the beginning the temps were contracted through a processional temp service that specialized in supplying workers for labor strikes as were the security guards. Later on the company started hiring some on it's own via independent contract "scab" workers. Also, in the beginning a total of 28 union "scabs" crossed the picket line and returned to work with promises by company management of great things for them for their sacrifice. Actual strike lasted just a few weeks when the membership voted to return to work under the terms of old contract while company and union continued to negotiate a new contract. As soon as the company got wind of the vote they immediately threw up a formal 'lockout' which by law meant they could not allow any of the original union workforce back to work so they had to kick the 28 union "scab" workers out the door. This 'lockout' went on for a total of 4 - 1/2 years until the UAW pulled that local's charter and walked away as if it never existed.

You haven’t answered any of my points.

Out of curiosity what was the name of the company?
Originally Posted by victoro
I was in a union for 18 years and all they did was protect the workers that should have been fired. They always insisted on a strike vote without telling us what the company was offering and twice we went on strike without knowing what the company had offered. The union ended the strikes without telling us what the company was offering and we didn't get to vote on accepting the offer. After the first strike I found out that after being on strike for 3 weeks that I got $.05 more per hour than the company's original offer and that the company could send us anywhere in the country with 7 days notice. The union eventually ran our wages up so high that the company couldn't afford us and started using contractors. Kind of like the auto industry. When we were on strike it was party time for the highly paid union bosses who kept getting paid.

I have seen that here...workers generally get shafted either way, except the lazy pricks as they seem to be a protected species.

If you are willing to work you are generally left to haul the lazy prick's load as well.
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Let the general electric locomotive plant in Erie be your guide
It's owned by Westinghouse now....

Dave

How can that be? Westinghouse has been out of business for 15 or 20 years.
[bleep] the unions and their money laundering schemes. There's a general agreement among the rank and file where I work, and it is that if union reps ever show up to try and force a vote to unionize us we will dribble them to the curb, put them in their cars, and send them off with a promise to hurt them if they ever show up again. And that promise is ironclad.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
[bleep] the unions and their money laundering schemes. There's a general agreement among the rank and file where I work, and it is that if union reps ever show up to try and force a vote to unionize us we will dribble them to the curb, put them in their cars, and send them off with a promise to hurt them if they ever show up again. And that promise is ironclad.

grin

Make it hurt! laugh

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Makes total sense man.

And when the next group of employees exercise their right to organize??? Ya, total sense.

Ask the union boys at caterpillar how their strike went?? Lol you turd.. I belong to a union and all they do is bitch how they state is ph ucking us over. In the Army if you had legit bitch you better have a way ahead on how to fix the problem. Nope not this Union.. I even told them that..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cs...-Caterpillar-a-blow-to-US-labor-movement
Mention unions and it's never going to be boring.

My situation is no secret.
My standing on the topic(s) is way more complicated.

The union guys usually win the debate, if you judge on
merits. The anti position is usualy just anti.

Along with anecdotes.
(Worthless, addicted employees are not limited to unions.
Nor is management putting up with it. A weird thing that
has changed hugely over decades.)

Union goals IN NEGOTIATIONS is simply to get as much for
members as possible

Company goals are always to get as much from workers with
the smallest expenditures. Inputs vs outputs.

That's just bidness! Both sides.

There have been 40+ years of anti union programming of many.
How many have worked for union vs non union,
in similar jobs.

I have. I prefer union, for many reasons.
Pay is one. Benefits another.
But a big one is simply not being under the thumb.
In a previous job I was told to quit talking about a certain issue.
The threat was left unsaid. It was unfair policy, screwing a few
employees. And I wasn't one of them.

But then, you have pensions.

Our company joined the IUE pension in 1995.
Like most, it was underfunded. And the pensioners outnumber
The current workers. The fund is dwindling.

Where i was once earning an almost $40/month/yr service,
It's now around $20.

My employer has to pay $2.50+/hr worked into it.

So, this year. $2.5x2000hrs= $5k.

In return, I'll get $20x12= $240/yr.
They get my money for 12 years before I retire,
I gotta live 21 years after retirement before I get the principle!

Company tried to opt out. To put that $$ into our 401k.
Except, it's $2 million to opt out. With only 30 employees?

I'm doing better than most here in pay and benefits,
in retirement also. But, only because my pay allows me
to fund my own retirement.

P.S. The IUE pension is seperate from the union.
That, i really don't understand.

Yep, talking in circles.
Because the subject isn't one that's black or white.
It's a plus/minus problem with no zero sum answer.

I will make one hard statement.
The existence of unions benefits non union workers.
There absolutely are non union outfits matching or exceeding
union pay. Simply because they give up on the money, but keep
total control over the employees. For some, that's enough!
Well unions are all on record supporting the unrestricted flow of illegal aliens into our country l. And we all know that drives up wages

I’ve regrettly was forced to join unions working summer jobs. They sure protected the lazy dangerous incompetent and drunk employees
Mquote=Dillonbuck]Mention unions and it's never going to be boring.

Along with anecdotes.
members as possible

in similar jobs.

It's now around $20.

Yep, talking in circles.

[/quote]

Did pedo Joe make you tasty sandwich on Labor Day ? Entertaining how brainwashed and co dependent union members are.

Unions must be different in Oz. I love foreigners opining on domestic issues in the U.S. lol

Having lived and worked in both Oz and Canada the unions are worse than in the US as they are more than fully supported by the government and everyone else... I recall the first time I saw a sign outside a restaurant in Brisbane indicating the menu prices were up due to it being a holiday...

grin

Make it hurt! laugh

With great pleasure.

grin
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Along with anecdotes.

members as possible

in similar jobs.

It's now around $20.

Yep, talking in circles.

That is far more bullshit than I care to address. Stay in PA or wherever the hell you are.
Salaried Deere employees working 12 hour shifts keeping it running, fire all of the hourly
FUCK the unions!

Along with anecdotes.

members as possible

in similar jobs.

It's now around $20.

Yep, talking in circles.

That is far more bullshit than I care to address. Stay in PA or wherever the hell you are.

Anti union brainwash!😁

Open the eyes, kick those brain cells into gear.

Unions suck in their support for communist ideas.
For supporting Dems.
For sometimes protecting driftwood.
For the corruption.

But, there are some positive attributes.
That's my whole point.
To try to have honest, objective discourse.

Hell I support most of the anti union arguments.
Unions are doomed if they don't clean up their act.
And their power structure never will.

Any company that would fairly compensate workers,
And not put them under the thumb, would be better than
a union job.
The power trip is the big one.
Few can actually allow dissent. Not when they know they
can stifle it.

Unions are doomed if they don't clean up their act.
And their power structure never will.

Winter is coming, hope all the Deere employees in my area can make it on $150 a week strike pay, wait that is less than the signing bonus for a year. Fug them
It's like having an agent.

If you're the Heisman Trophy QB at some Big Ten school it might make sense to have an agent. For the average wage earner, it does not. And "the union" mandates that it has exclusive rights to be your agent. That's HORSESHIT.
Originally Posted by blanket
Winter is coming, hope all the Deere employees in my area can make it on $150 a week strike pay, wait that is less than the signing bonus for a year. Fug them

Oh, but that union is looking out for them, don't ya see..LOL!!!

Maybe not, but the organization takes your money and feeds it to the democraps who in turn use it to work against you.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
© 24hourcampfire