Home
We live near a major US highway/county road junction. The county road has rumble strips, wiggly lines, and 2 warning stop signs before you get to the stop. But, they keep running it. Last night a guy ran it in front of a tanker semi and was shoved into a 3d vehicle that was stopped waiting for the truck to pass to make a turn. The guy who ran it got his friend in the passenger seat killed. This happened about 8:30 last night and they were still picking up pieces at 7 this morning.
I don't know what else they can do to get them to stop. It's never intentional. The county road is a busy one with no stops for 10 miles until here. They just space it out. About the only thing more they can do is put in a flashing light.
Wonder when the driver got/sent his last text?
That's not good.
You won't run out of idiots until all the idiots get killed running it. Until then, innocents will continue to pay the price of other people's idiocy.
Redlight near wifeys job has about 3 a week, thankfully thus far all injury only no fatalities.

I have been there and called 911 a dozen times in the last 4-5 yrs.

Flashing yellow turn lane arrows and people not paying attention....BOOM!!!
Had to get that last lol in on the txt msg

dem durn cilly phones i bet

I leave mine home, locked up and off for emergencies only
Sad deal , me I keep an eye on things when riding with other people .
Never been able to sleep when riding with someone .
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sad deal , me I keep an eye on things when riding with other people .
Never been able to sleep when riding with someone .

I don't ride with anybody, if I ain't driving I don't go.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You won't run out of idiots until all the idiots get killed running it. Until then, innocents will continue to pay the price of other people's idiocy.

They get knocked into vehicles of innocents.
Maybe good speed bumps well before the intersection?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You run over 6 sets of rumble strips before you get there.
That’s happened several times on the four lane access road to the base where it crosses another four lane state highway. I watched one happen about 200 yards ahead of me one afternoon.
What happens is that folks on the base road don’t come to a full stop. Given the right combination of speed of the stop sign runner and a vehicle approaching from the right, the car coming from the right is hidden behind the A-pillar and the driver running the stop sign doesn’t see it until it’s too late. It’s usually about 1 to 2. One doing ~30 and the other 55-65.

I’ve said the best way is stop it is to put BIG speed bumps on the approach to the intersection so that they almost have to stop in crossing them. Rumble strips are just a warning but don’t do anything to stop folks from running the stop sign.
[quote=Rock Chuck]We live near a major US highway/county road junction. The county road has rumble strips, wiggly lines, and 2 warning stop signs before you get to the stop. But, they keep running it. Last night a guy ran it in front of a tanker semi and was shoved into a 3d vehicle that was stopped waiting for the truck to pass to make a turn. The guy who ran it got his friend in the passenger seat killed. This happened about 8:30 last night and they were still picking up pieces at 7 this morning.

Close the road !!

LOL
Put in a long sweeping "S" turn before the intersection on each side of the lesser used highway.

Clyde
Originally Posted by slumlord
Had to get that last lol in on the txt msg

dem durn cilly phones i bet

I leave mine home, locked up and off for emergencies only

That's the second best choice. Best choice is not to have one.
Build an overpass. Think of the children.
Seen it too many times. Removed too many bodies from mangled wrecks.

When I worked on the local P. D., I was very easy-going, let a lot of drivers go with a verbal warning, with one exception: stop sign violations. I never gave them any slack. The consequences could be too tragic.
The most frequent violators were drivers from Pennsylvania headed for the Jersey shore.
Canyon County is building fugking round-a-bouts all over the place. I hate them, but perhaps they have a place. At least the wrecks happen at a slower speed.
Our county had a intersection like that. 4 way stop on 65 mph highways. I think it accounted for 12 deaths over 20 years or so. A couple years ago, they changed it for a round-about. It's hard to say yet whether it will work. It is kind of like BLG's suggestion in that cars and trucks all have to slow down and go around the bend. There are flashing lights and radar-equipped speed readout signs. Someone can still run it straight through (over the curbing and through the flexy bollards and all), but with the overwhelming majority of traffic now slowing and going around the roundabout, I do believe it prevents t-bones.
Roundabouts work IF everyone knows how to drive them and IF the engineers have some idea how to design them. Many of them aren't well located. We only have 1 here and it's in a terrible place. It's too close to a very long stop light. Cars get backed up at the light all the way through the roundabout. That shuts down traffic in every direction. My sister in WA was telling me about 2 of them there that are side by side. You come off of one directly onto the other. If it's rush hour, you quickly block traffic on the 1st one. They cause serious traffic jams.

Life is fragile.

Automobile travel is a high risk activity

Hope the man had the ultimate Life Insurance Policy.
They haven't released any names yet so I don't know if we know him. I agree that he needed THE insurance policy.
We have a rather curvy improved road that has two lanes with w 3rd lane every so often. People drive on it like it's an Interstate, and forget about intersecting county roads. It is a good 2 lane, but it is not a limited access. There are fatalities in one section that is straight coming out of the hills and going onto flatter rolling terrain. All I can guess is they see the long straight road all the sudden and put the hammer down. The last few bad wrecks have been in the same area.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Canyon County is building fugking round-a-bouts all over the place. I hate them, but perhaps they have a place. At least the wrecks happen at a slower speed.

People hate them but they work, the crash data shows it.

In this instance it sounds like they’ve done about all they can do short of a flashing red light on the county road. Grade separation is what would solve this issue but the cost involved to do so is too high. Traffic volumes are too high on the US route to facilitate a roundabout. There are super street designs that prevent through movements/left hand turns and force a right hand turn and u-turn. These designs are better served for traffic flow mitigation rather than safety however.
[quote=Rock Chuck]
I don't know what else they can do to get them to stop. It's never intentional.

That's why they call them "accidents". The only way to prevent accidents is to prohibit an activity...in this case, driving a vehicle.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
[quote=Rock Chuck]

That's why they call them "accidents". The only way to prevent accidents is to prohibit an activity...in this case, driving a vehicle.

That's right, lock the bastards up. 😁
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Where our outlet county rd from the subdivided area near us runs into a main East/West county road (the county seat at one time was on this road) there is 50 yards or so of rumble strips, on a 35MPH road. My wife has seen folk go around the rumble strips when they think there is no one turning from the main road. There's an accident or three at that stop sign every year. A few months back the barb wire fence on the North side of the main road had been knocked down from someone not making the stop or turn at all.

Can't fix stupid, or inattentive I guess.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
[quote=Rock Chuck]

There are plenty of intentional stop sign violations. It happens every day and I've seen many of them. At this one, running it can mean your life as you're driving into high speed traffic. Only a fool would do it intentionally. When it's done intentionally, it's not an accident, it's attempted murder.
We had a bad one here in Vegas Tuesday morning. Henry Ruggs, wide receiver for the Raiders driving drunk in his Corvette doing 156 mph hits a woman in a Toyota. The impact knocks her car 519 feet then it bursts into flames and she is burned to death.
What a way to fugg up your life at 22 yrs. old. Raiders released him the next day.

Ruggs crash
Our yard is at a T. If it was a four way, the road would come into our yard.
The road leading to the intersection has a small hill that conceals the intersection. It's partly hidden, we don't drive it much, but it surprised me
sometimes.

Coming from one direction the other road has a stop sign. Over the
top of s good hill.

We often hear how,ing tires, see lights spinning.
Or hear that WHUMP sound.

The worst is tires, whump.....silence, then more thumps.

Lucky there isn't much traffic, so its usually 1 car.
And there haven't been too serious of injuries.
Put in an over pass for one of the roads.
Auto fatalities are nothing new. In fact, they are a hell of a lot less per mile driven than in the 60’s and 70’s.

It’s a high risk endeavor that too few pay any heed too.

Ain’t a jab out there that’s gonna fix it.
They're putting one of them damn British/Euro monstrosities on a major thoroughfare (for the area) in Klamath Falls. No convenient way for me to miss it on trips to my eye doc in Ashland either.

Fuggers.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Evil Knieveled that sheit
Had an intersection similar to that in the north end of the county.

State road crossed a 4 lane highway.
Seems like bad wrecks weekly.

State bucked and snorted….

Too much $$ to put in stop lights….
We don’t stop traffic on a 4 lane….

They do, further north on the same road.

Finally they made it where you can’t go start across the 4 lane. You gotta turn right. Go about 1/4” mile. Then double back.

Cut wrecks down to almost zero. Minimal $$ spent.

He probably thought he was drifting across the edge of lane rumble strips...again. Them texters won't be deterred.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Auto fatalities are nothing new. In fact, they are a hell of a lot less per mile driven than in the 60’s and 70’s.

It’s a high risk endeavor that too few pay any heed too.

Ain’t a jab out there that’s gonna fix it.

I wonder how the crash per mile rate compares.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Had an intersection similar to that in the north end of the county.

State road crossed a 4 lane highway.
Seems like bad wrecks weekly.

State bucked and snorted….

Too much $$ to put in stop lights….
We don’t stop traffic on a 4 lane….

They do, further north on the same road.

Finally they made it where you can’t go start across the 4 lane. You gotta turn right. Go about 1/4” mile. Then double back.

Cut wrecks down to almost zero. Minimal $$ spent.

That’s the super street design I mentioned above. It likely will require some widening of the secondary road to accommodate concrete medians, as well as concrete medians on the US route. Depending on traffic volumes it may even require stoplights. We’ve used it in NC in rural and urban areas; the urban areas was more for traffic mitigation on the primary route and rural it was to prevent left turns to decrease accidents.

They probably needed a realignment after that.

They probably needed a realignment after that.

General Lee would be proud of that! 😁😁
Cars are clearly dangerous, better ban them. whistle
© 24hourcampfire