Home
Posted By: dale06 Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21

I’m hearing of a rash of thefts of catalytic converters. They then get sold for the valuable metals in them
What would be the value of these?
It depends on the model of the converter, some as high as $300. Most are worth $50-$100 at a scrap yard. Tweekers gone wild with sawzalls.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Tweekers gone wild with sawzalls.

Bump, Bump!

What was that, Honey? Did you run over something?

Just a speed bump. Don't worry about it... grin
Been going on for some time around here. No end in sight
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
Started about 5 years ago around here, they usually hit you at the mall or restaurant when they know you'll be busy for an hour at least.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
Speaking for my area, Cat thefts seem to coincide with the current popularity of meth.
Right now, we’re back in an ‘up’ phase. They seem to be focusing solely on larger trucks lately.

George
Posted By: greydog Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
If the consequences were more appropriate (maybe stomping their nuts into the pavement), thefts might ease up a bit. GD
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by NH K9
Speaking for my area, Cat thefts seem to coincide with the current popularity of meth.
Right now, we’re back in an ‘up’ phase. They seem to be focusing solely on larger trucks lately.

George

Maybe meth heads just like cats.
Posted By: RMerta Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
I’m thinking about doing a delete on my 2015 Duramax. Is my stock exhaust system worth anything?
I own an auto repair and muffler shop just south of Salt Lake and cat theft is booming here. I'm doing anywhere from 2 to 5 cat replacements a week. It's not the tweekers that are doing it. These guys are professional gangs targeting specific areas every night according to a detective that reached out to me. Also some cats are worth over 1000k in scrap. Toyota and newer Ford gas engines are the 2 that are the most sought after.
Yep. Be worth a lot should you decide to sell or trade the truck.

May be easier to sell if you can toss the stock setup back on or at least offer it to buyer.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
The material is platinum. It is a catalyst for hydrogen compounds, so it breaks up pollutants to be less nasty.
Depending on manufacturer, they use more or less PT. Hence the scrap value.
Posted By: rte Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
The material is platinum. It is a catalyst for hydrogen compounds, so it breaks up pollutants to be less nasty.
Depending on manufacturer, they use more or less PT. Hence the scrap value.

This is what one of my uncles told to me.The cat contains platinum pellets.
Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium
Been an issue for a long time. 8-9 years ago I know a band of gypsies from nodak doing sketchy scrap on shenanigans and swiping cats in a 3 state sweep.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by dale06

I’m hearing of a rash of thefts of catalytic converters. They then get sold for the valuable metals in them
Yup.. MN has been hit hard - especially in the Shot Paul/Murderapolis area.. Wife's co-worker came out to her car after work and it was LOUD... CC gone...

Twin Chitties area now offering some painting/marking of the CC by the cops to hopefully curtail some of the thefts..
Guy that lives across from me got ripped off 3 weeks ago. He was out on the lake fishing as usual, meanwhile thieves stole his boat trailer tires & cat of his Ford explorer.
Apparently there are laws against recycling these catalytic converters. Must be a underground place a thief could sell them.

Just checked Az, and Utah scrap laws and they have very specific regulations regarding recycling catalytic converters.

As we all know laws cannot stop bad behavior, they only define it.

https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-laws/
Posted By: Oldidaho Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21
Give a tweaker a battery powered Sawzall. If he pawns it, he gets enough money for a day's worth of meth. If he uses it to steal catalytic converters, he can buy meth until he OD's.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21

A rash?

That’s been going on for 20+ years

Some of you all are just.....

Sheesh
Posted By: slumlord Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21
The market is little depressed around here

The yards are run by scum too, lowballers

35-$60 take it or leave it

I know other places pay more but many just won’t buy them due to being watched by law on both sides

You have show ID on ac coils and copper. Lots of new homes getting stripped out by Obama’s Dreamers
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by greydog
If the consequences were more appropriate (maybe stomping their nuts into the pavement), thefts might ease up a bit. GD

You racist badstid.
They’ve been tightening regulations on recycling catalytic converters here in TX. Hopefully it’ll cut down on thefts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kristv.com/news/local-news/new-law-aims-to-cut-down-on-catalytic-converter-thefts%3f_amp=true
Posted By: Brazos Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21
What is a "catalytic converter"....?
Posted By: deflave Re: Catalytic converter theft - 11/07/21

Congrats on keeping up with the times.

Have you heard of fuel injection?
© 24hourcampfire