Home
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It worked beautifully as a hedge during the February 2020 crash. You can't argue with that.
Should an investor have switched from gold to the S&P500 in April to take advantage of the Fed-fueled run-up in stocks? Sure, or they could have speculated on BTC or a meme stock. That doesn't mean that Gold is dysfunctional. Besides, we haven't seen a collapse of the dollar-based monetary system yet. A lot of gold holders are actually hedging that. It does, afterall, seem inevitable. The problem is that holding gold and waiting for it casts you as a doomsday prophet like Peter Schiff. He's not irrational, but his rhetoric can easily be dismissed by those seeking shorter term profits.

Now consider this. If Gold has sucked so much lately, doesn't that make it a bargain right now in a market where almost nothing else is? I mean, what else can you buy? More TSLA? Some Zillow houses? or whatever Cathy Wood likes? It's all ridiculously overpriced. Gold has never been overpriced, but you can pay too much in premiums or fees.
Watch gold vs the various FX currencies, it makes more sense. A lot of $$ is also going into crypto. My guess is when gold runs it’s going to when everything else crashes and the run will be big.

So far the dollar is holding it’s own against other currencies, but I have my doubts on how long that lasts under slow Joe.
Since the state understands that high PM prices are viewed by the public as an indication of a weak economy, they take every measure in their power to hold their prices down. Even still, prices are up some 10% from their lows for the year.
An ounce of gold is worth a tailored suit or a Colt pistol. This has remained a constant for a long damn time.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
An ounce of gold is worth a tailored suit or a Colt pistol. This has remained a constant for a long damn time.

Funny. I was just watching a Hickok45 video on his original Colt Model 1849, and he made the same remark, i.e., he had a $10.00 US gold piece on the table next to it and remarked that when this revolver was made (1852), it could have been purchased with that coin, and that's still true today.

In fact, I'll go ahead and post the video below for anyone who's interested.

Gold remains a constant. Always worth owning.
Originally Posted by JB in SC

^^^This^^^
The value of the dollar changes; not gold.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/12/21
Gold mostly follows the money supply of the world. I should go up but is close to it's 52 week low. I dont hold physical gold but have a 1.25% of gold interest in my portfolio and I am up about 5% or so in 7 months. I bought 2 gold trusts. I also bought Newmount , Kirkland, and Kinross and a gold miners ETF. The reason gold should go up is the United States printed enough money to buy 1/3 of the worlds gold reserves. This is why I think it will do very well. However , 5% is not very good . I was up 13 % cause it went up right when I bought it but came way down. The last week it did very good.
That puts a damper on the gold bugs that suppose gold will go to the moon and they'll be rich! Gold may very well be worth $50,000 an ounce some day, but if you've got 50 ounces, don't think you'll become a "millionaire" by some previous era's conception. Your millions will buy 50 suits or 50 colt revolvers. Even so, in the long-term, it's beaten every fiat currency ever.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
That puts a damper on the gold bugs that suppose gold will go to the moon and they'll be rich! Gold may very well be worth $50,000 an ounce some day, but if you've got 50 ounces, don't think you'll become a "millionaire" by some previous era's conception. Your millions will buy 50 suits or 50 colt revolvers. Even so, in the long-term, it's beaten every fiat currency ever.

Actually, when gold goes to the moon, there is always an overshoot. In other words, gold can fluctuate from way undervalued to way overvalued. 1980 was an example of the latter. If you had purchased 50 ounces in 1973 for $100.00 an ounce (a $5,000.00 investment) and sold them for $800.00 an ounce in 1980, your purchasing power increased quite a lot in real terms, since you'd be in possession of $40,000.00, i.e., a gain of $35,000 over a seven year period.

Similarly, if you had purchased 50 ounce in 2001 for $270.00 per ounce, and sold them in 2011 for $1,896.00 an ounce, you would have turned $13,500.00 into $94,800.00. That's a significant increase in real purchasing power, i.e., wealth, despite dollar price inflation. That's a gain of $81,300 over a ten year period.

Both examples beat inflation by quite a lot.
Good points! I’m reduced to investing in silver, simply because it’s more affordable. I think it’s a good investment also
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life
Good points! I’m reduced to investing in silver, simply because it’s more affordable. I think it’s a good investment also

Far more historically undervalued right now, vs gold, so has a much better upside potential than gold.
Agreed; you’ve done your research! Price has been purposely kept low and manipulated for decades
Posted By: EdM Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/12/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Actually, when gold goes to the moon, there is always an overshoot. In other words, gold can fluctuate from way undervalued to way overvalued. 1980 was an example of the latter. If you had purchased 50 ounces in 1973 for $100.00 an ounce (a $5,000.00 investment) and sold them for $800.00 an ounce in 1980, your purchasing power increased quite a lot in real terms, since you'd be in possession of $40,000.00, i.e., a gain of $35,000 over a seven year period.

Similarly, if you had purchased 50 ounce in 2001 for $270.00 per ounce, and sold them in 2011 for $1,896.00 an ounce, you would have turned $13,500.00 into $94,800.00. That's a significant increase in real purchasing power, i.e., wealth, despite dollar price inflation. That's a gain of $81,300 over a ten year period.

All hypothetical buying low and selling high. The same can be said for Wall Street of which I have done well without hoping for buy low and sell high...

Good call Captain Hindsight! Could you give us some future examples?
Silver is a hedge in real purchasing power, useful for the purchase of smaller items needed in daily life.

Gold is a store of wealth medium. A belt of Krugerrands can be carried across oceans and buy a farm when you arrive. Or a boat to get there. Or... Gold has always been the one to have to make large sums portable and concealable. Silver was the common man’s money for daily living.
I've bought another 10 or 12 ounces of mostly fractional the past few months because I didn't trust anything else. I like having tubes of 50 tenth ounce eagles. Smaller than a roll of dimes and worth 10k. Might make good trade material in the future.

I always liked silver but it gets heavy after a while. I still want to add a few more bags of mercury dimes if the premiums come down.

I prefer to barter or use cash and neither is as popular these days as it used to be. When cash goes away I'll still be trading metals.

Bb
Originally Posted by EdM

All hypothetical buying low and selling high. The same can be said for Wall Street of which I have done well without hoping for buy low and sell high...

I was responding to Juniper who implied that the best you could hope for with metals was to keep up with inflation. I demonstrated that this is not actually the case.
Posted By: dassa Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/12/21
Originally Posted by JB in SC

^^^This^^^
The value of the dollar changes; not gold.

You gotta be skeptical of people who claim gold is a bad investment when they compare its value to a fiat currency.
Could you give us some future examples?

I assume you're joking.

Far more historically undervalued right now, vs gold, so has a much better upside potential than gold.

A lot of folks got left holding the bag from the Hunt debacle. Who knows how much is still out there.
Op is just trying to sell you all on buying Bitcoin as the new gold. Mr "big investor" is a paper handed dabbler trying to be important on the internet. You only have to look at his posts so see. Real men who are capable and sure of themselves don't need to puff themselves up and try to put other people down for others to see they are relevant. Just my opinion, before long his buddy striker something will jump in to back him up, another telltale of a blow hard. Gold will always be gold. As with any investment do your research and make the best choice you feel is right.
Thank you too all the veterans out there!
I don’t see pm’s as an investment, more akin to insurance imo. One time premium unlike other insurance.

But I also like being debt free, admittedly old fashioned here.
Posted By: EdM Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/12/21
Originally Posted by EdM

I was responding to Juniper who implied that the best you could hope for with metals was to keep up with inflation. I demonstrated that this is not actually the case.

So your are just looking to keep up with inflation?
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

So your are just looking to keep up with inflation?
Reading comprehension difficulties?
Let's see everyone that unloaded cash for gold ( around 2000) or wores sold property for gold, still has not got back their investment but property is sky rocking ...
It worked beautifully as a hedge during the February 2020 crash. You can't argue with that.
Should an investor have switched from gold to the S&P500 in April to take advantage of the Fed-fueled run-up in stocks? Sure, or they could have speculated on BTC or a meme stock. That doesn't mean that Gold is dysfunctional. Besides, we haven't seen a collapse of the dollar-based monetary system yet. A lot of gold holders are actually hedging that. It does, afterall, seem inevitable. The problem is that holding gold and waiting for it casts you as a doomsday prophet like Peter Schiff. He's not irrational, but his rhetoric can easily be dismissed by those seeking shorter term profits.

Now consider this. If Gold has sucked so much lately, doesn't that make it a bargain right now in a market where almost nothing else is? I mean, what else can you buy? More TSLA? Some Zillow houses? or whatever Cathy Wood likes? It's all ridiculously overpriced. Gold has never been overpriced, but you can pay too much in premiums or fees.

No it's not a good buy or a good store of value. A month doesn't make a crash either. Some very well known big name Gold holders are selling to replace with Bitcoin and some may dive into Blockchains. Can't argue that gold has always underperformed Crypto! But then again even the Stock Market does that in the long run. Cathy Wood makes money, thought I am not a fan. I would never invest in TSLA, I am not an Elon fan and don't like his games. Micro Strategies would be a solid investment, as would IDXX. Both crush Gold! I do hold real estate and think everyone should. Again a much better hedge than Gold.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Gold mostly follows the money supply of the world. I should go up but is close to it's 52 week low. I dont hold physical gold but have a 1.25% of gold interest in my portfolio and I am up about 5% or so in 7 months. I bought 2 gold trusts. I also bought Newmount , Kirkland, and Kinross and a gold miners ETF. The reason gold should go up is the United States printed enough money to buy 1/3 of the worlds gold reserves. This is why I think it will do very well. However , 5% is not very good . I was up 13 % cause it went up right when I bought it but came way down. The last week it did very good.

5% nor 13% beats the 14% inflation at a minimum so exactly what did you get with your investment?
Agreed; you’ve done your research! Price has been purposely kept low and manipulated for decades

Someone has been paying attention!
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Op is just trying to sell you all on buying Bitcoin as the new gold. Mr "big investor" is a paper handed dabbler trying to be important on the internet. You only have to look at his posts so see. Real men who are capable and sure of themselves don't need to puff themselves up and try to put other people down for others to see they are relevant. Just my opinion, before long his buddy striker something will jump in to back him up, another telltale of a blow hard. Gold will always be gold. As with any investment do your research and make the best choice you feel is right.

Tell us about your Shiba I promise I won't laugh!!!!!!
The gold to silver rato goes like this. 1 to 8 out of the ground. 1 to 20 when it was USA money up to 1932. Present day 1 to 74. The current price is 1/2 of the nominal price in 1980. Silver is on sale. Get it while you can.
Look at this old video and just how wrong Shiff was. Pomp has come a long ways since then. The youngster proved Shiff wrong then and still today!

https://youtu.be/Wigz8z6Vm3U
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
... or whatever Cathy Wood likes?

Cathie Wood is pissing me off at the moment.
This is well worth a watch and Saylor does a great job here.

https://youtu.be/coHC_9ApBdg
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Sure, I'm up 300% in 3 months and this things just getting going. Crypto is a long term hold so even though it's not jumping by leaps and bounds this week it will continue to grow. Bitcoin didn't grow overnight either, I would have thought you'd know that it took over a decade and started out as fractions of a penny. Tell us how and when you got into Bitcoin and how much you made. I'm not surprised for all of your supposed knowledge on crypto you'd make such a foolish statement. It's right in line with your take on gold and verifies my above post perfectly. Paper handed blow hard should be your new name lol.
Originally Posted by Strider1

Right on cue

Sure, I'm up 300% in 3 months and this things just getting going. Crypto is a long term hold so even though it's not jumping by leaps and bounds this week it will continue to grow. Bitcoin didn't grow overnight either, I would have thought you'd know that it took over a decade and started out as fractions of a penny. Tell us how and when you got into Bitcoin and how much you made. I'm not surprised for all of your supposed knowledge on crypto you'd make such a foolish statement. It's right in line with your take on gold and verifies my above post perfectly. Paper handed blow hard should be your new name lol.

Comparing a meme coin to Bitcoin or even layer one’s shows just how dumb you really are. But please continue!
Originally Posted by CashisKing
... or whatever Cathy Wood likes?

Cathie Wood is pissing me off at the moment.

She has to sell to keep her asset balance. I doubt she likes having to do it. But it is the nature of the beast.
OK, simple question from a non-gold investor (at least not yet), assuming gold to be a hedge against a currency collapse.

Lets say you buy a pile of gold in maybe 1/4 once coins....................how do you reasonably spend those coins in the future?

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
OK, simple question from a non-gold investor (at least not yet), assuming gold to be a hedge against a currency collapse.

Lets say you buy a pile of gold in maybe 1/4 once coins....................how do you reasonably spend those coins in the future?

MM

You bring me one, I’ll make you a belt and holster. You bring someone else one and get a ham and side of bacon.

MM

You mean convert them into cash?
I mean use them as cash & get some change back in comparable value; typical belt, even a high end one, doesn't come close to the value of the gold coin.

MM
I mean use them as cash & get some change back in comparable value; typical belt, even a high end one, doesn't come close to the value of the gold coin.

MM

I give you change in gunpowder, silver coins, and/or 1/10th ounce gold coins.
Buying gold, for most people, is buying insurance.

Something that costs money,
you hope to never use,
And you hope it will be as good as promised when you really need it.
In a currency collapse scenario, it's hard to predict what anything will be like. I can tell you that a lot of people fleeing Vietnam in the late 70's paid their way with gold. I'm not talking about '75 when the US was offering free rides out, but later, after the Communists wrecked the economy and the fiat currency was worthless. There were boats, from Hong Kong for example, that would take people out for a piece of gold. A lot of the ships were junk that would have been scrapped, but they were able to collect some gold with them before being abandoned.

Even the people that didn't have to pay for their ride out took gold because Vietnamese money was worthless. Remember that guy who jumped out of the Chinook to get on the USS Kirk? He had some small gold bars in his pocket, his life's savings, but lost them in the sea when he jumped. To be more accurate, that dude stole a Chinook, flew it to his house, picked up his wife and three kids, then flew out to the Kirk and hovered while his family was rescued. Then he tipped the chopper over to one side while jumping out the other (because it couldn't be landed on the Kirk whose crew had already been shoving Huey's off the deck).
I also buy some of the Canadian maple gram cards that have 25 individual 1 gram gold coins together on a card that's scored to remove 1 gram at a time. Each gram is worth about $65 right now.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I also buy some of the Canadian maple gram cards that have 25 individual 1 gram gold coins together on a card that's scored to remove 1 gram at a time. Each gram is worth about $65 right now.

Bb

Not a bad way to as a hedge against the US going full Argentina . For those that think it can't happen, look at our president, debt trajectory, and current rate of inflation. Bitcoin won't be worth chit in a full collapse.
Posted By: victoro Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/13/21
The stock market is kept pumped up by the Federal Reserve (big banks) and the other big banks. They can make it go down just as fast (after they get their money out) and then buy back in.
I mean use them as cash & get some change back in comparable value; typical belt, even a high end one, doesn't come close to the value of the gold coin.MM
Buy pre 1965 silver. It is easily recognizable, readily accepted, and small value enough for day to day commerce. One dollar of 1964 coins have no collector value but have a little over 7/10 oz. of silver. A dollar in silver today is worth $17.50.
Posted By: dassa Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/13/21

MM

I imagine if virtually every human being prior to the 1930s could figure it out, we can, too.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Not a bad way to as a hedge against the US going full Argentina . For those that think it can't happen, look at our president, debt trajectory, and current rate of inflation. Bitcoin won't be worth chit in a full collapse.

Bitcoin won't be worth chit in a full collapse. Don't be so sure of that.

Bitcoin is not tied to the US. It is globally supported and operated. But let's be realistic here, if we are talking about a full on melt down your gold and silver isn't going to do jack chitt for you. You can't eat or drink it last time I checked. Those with food, water, and medicine don't need gold for anything. If the full on chitt hits the fan you only need a few simple things, Housing, Food, Water, Medicine, and Protection.You won't be going out shopping for unnecessary crap.

So that takes us back to a normal (as we have known it) crash. Were money is still accepted everywhere as is credit. If you want to hedge or " buy insurance" in gold by all means do so. But that hedge will fall well short of Bitcoin.
a certain old lady now deceased a long time ago heard mr roosevelt was going to prohibit americans from owning gold.
she only had 20dollars but bought a 20dollar gold piece, held it all her life, and a decendent still had the gold.
she told the decendent never trust the government, any government, they would not act in your behalf.
she came from slovakia, a place you could get dead quite easily.
if you had to leave that country you would have a currency reconized and accepted anywhere in the world.
and one 20dollar gold piece still buys one colt pistol
its a hedge that you don't have to disclose which makes it even better, an insurance policy.
Good points. When SHTF no one will be looking for precious metals; they will be wanting to barter for necessities.
BTW, the coming cyberattacks will wipe out anything you think you own in the digital world.
Turn all that into hard assets while you can. Time is short!

MM

You bring me one, I’ll make you a belt and holster. You bring someone else one and get a ham and side of bacon.

That's a mighty expensive holster and meat purchase.
Good points. When SHTF no one will be looking for precious metals; they will be wanting to barter for necessities.
BTW, the coming cyberattacks will wipe out anything you think you own in the digital world.

It seems you don't understand how blockchains work nor what makes them so secure. But I will grant you that nothing is bombproof!

It seems you don't understand how blockchains work nor what makes them so secure. But I will grant you that nothing is bombproof!

I certainly don’t. What happens if the internet is shut down?
Originally Posted by Hastings
One dollar of 1964 coins have no collector value but have a little over 7/10 oz. of silver.

That was true till the last couple years. Try buying "junk" silver nowadays for anything close to spot. So much has been melted down now, that they are hard to come by. Big dealers are offering their customers better than spot if they sell them back their "junk" silver nowadays.
Originally Posted by dassa

MM

I imagine if virtually every human being prior to the 1930s could figure it out, we can, too.

Bingo!
I find that many of those who don’t accumulate physical gold, speak about it in absolutes. This includes those who don’t want it and those who do but do not have any.
What is to keep the one you want to bribe from killing you for your gold?

The same thing that is going to happen to everything else. This isn't the 1980's, everything is ran on the internet. I am not much for all these conspiracy theories. Could it get shut down? Possibly. The likelihood of that happening are slim to none. But again " IF " that were to happen we would have so many more problems to worry about like Housing, Food, Water, Medicine, and Protection. Gold nor Bitcoin is going to help you at that point.

Personally I invest to obtain and preserve a certain level of lifestyle, not to worry about some far out what if scenario. That I can prep for.
For the gold experts here, who are the several preferred brokers / sources to buy coins through?

Just regular, basic coins, not high numismatic value stuff, preferably lower weight coins.

I've done some research & see several recommendations for various independent reviewers, but words from real life experiences is valuable info.

Also, when buying significant $$$ worth of physical gold, what method of delivery are you using.

PM's welcome of you prefer.

MM
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I am not in the business of Bribing people.
For the gold experts here, who are the several preferred brokers / sources to buy coins through?

Just regular, basic coins, not high numismatic value stuff, preferably lower weight coins.

I've done some research & see several recommendations for various independent reviewers, but words from real life experiences is valuable info.

Also, when buying significant $$$ worth of physical gold, what method of delivery are you using.

MM

I have done well with https://www.sloatcoins.com

MM

Liberty Coin has good prices, and I've never had a problem with any orders from them.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

What keeps that from happening with a cash bribe?
The threat of sodomy. Sodomy Wabigoon.

When the power grids go down and the Internet goes down, Bitcoin will be worthless.
It’s the “new” pyramid scam of 21st Century
The NWO economic reset with .Gov crypto hasnt hit yet.

Neither has the Patriots and Trumps antidote hit yet. Well, maybe it has. It might be called Bitcoin.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

When the power grids go down and the Internet goes down, Bitcoin will be worthless.

So now the whole world is going to lose power. In that case like I said no investment is going to be worth jack chitt. Can we bring this back to reality now?

MM

Find Bullion

You need to know what to buy or you will find it difficult to sell it and I don’t mean numismatics. AGE, Buffs, & CML is your focus.

Tulip bulbs.

Tulip bulbs.

LOL.

Thats what they said about autos, aeroplanes, telephones, electric lights, indoor toilets, wire loop hip phones, and now money that will soon be used all over the world.

Humm. More fair to folks over the world than the designed to decrease in value petro US bank notes?
PS, Neal. Only took me 72 years to get a clue.

So now the whole world is going to lose power. In that case like I said no investment is going to be worth jack chitt. Can we bring this back to reality now?

That’s what PM are a safeguard against the worst of times. Hard times have happened throughout history and will again. No one is saying that it will be tomorrow but some assets in universal hard commodities makes sense. The whole world doesn’t need to lose power to make crypto worthless. Only your little corner of the world has to lose power to make crypto worthless until power is restored. Which isn’t to say that it’s a bad thing but PM put away where you can access it has a value that crypto does not.
let me fix that for you

Originally Posted by jaguartx
PS, Neal. 72 years and still can't get a clue.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

That’s what PM are a safeguard against the worst of times. Hard times have happened throughout history and will again. No one is saying that it will be tomorrow but some assets in universal hard commodities makes sense.

Yes the commodities you'll need then like I already said are going to be Housing, Food, Water, Medicine, and Protection. You can't eat or drink gold!
July.

We shall see.

Thats what they said about autos, aeroplanes, telephones, electric lights, indoor toilets, wire loop hip phones, and now money that will soon be used all over the world.

Humm. More fair to folks over the world than the designed to decrease in value petro US bank notes?

All those things were useful and served a purpose, Doc.
Never said US Bank Notes would be Worth anything either.
When Biden Crashes the Economy, And we enter the next Great Depression, only shelter, food, water, medication, guns, ammo, and livestock will be of value.
I dont think Trump and the Patriots will let it come to that, Neal.

All those things were useful and served a purpose, Doc.
Never said US Bank Notes would be Worth anything either.
When Biden Crashes the Economy, And we enter the next Great Depression, only shelter, food, water, medication, guns, ammo, and livestock will be of value.

Nope. Those are all things worth having also. It’s speculation but I think it’s reasonable to believe that in a worst case situation some people by hook or by crook will have access to surplus meds, water, and ammo and most importantly things that can’t be stocked up before hand such as having access to power brokers or de facto law enforcement for favors and will be willing to trade surplus for gold.
I dont think Trump and the Patriots will let it come to that, Neal.

Sure hope your right, Doc. Because it won’t take Hiden Biden and his handlers long to Destroy America at the rate they’re going.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gold as a Hedge No so much - 11/13/21

I bought 300 shares of eutherium in July of 2020 and 15 k worth of gold shares in October 2020 plus a bunch of energy stocks. Which is doing better now? I was under the illusion that precious metals would prosper.

The under 40 generation has zero psychological connection to precious metals. This aint Little House on the Praire anymore.Some of you don't get it, but keep all of your money in gold and silver and I'll diversify.

I actually know how that bitcoin sausage is made, as in I've been writing Linux system code for over 25 years and made a good living doing it. Bitcoin and crypto is bullshit, it's literally just a series of bytes, or a code that's registered in a series computer ledgers, or files. The only reason people buy crypto is because they don't really understand it. Remember 1999 when everyone was buying tech like netscape browser that was going to be worth trillions? That fuggen worked out well laugh . Crypto itself is worth nothing. I'll take some gold and silver as a real hedge thanks.
and cost money to store.

Crypto is a bubble, mark my words it's going to cause havic when it pops. I'll be laughing my a$$ when it does, just like 2000.
gold and silver in reality are no different than crypto. Crypto just took their place. maybe 10 per cent portfolio precious metals now

I actually know how that bitcoin sausage is made, as in I've been writing Linux system code for over 25 years and made a good living doing it. Bitcoin and crypto is bullshit, it's literally just a series of bytes, or a code that's registered in a series computer ledgers, or files. The only reason people buy crypto is because they don't really understand it. Remember 1999 when everyone was buying tech like netscape browser that was going to be worth trillions? That fuggen worked out well laugh . Crypto itself is worth nothing. I'll take some gold and silver as a real hedge thanks.
and cost money to store.

Crypto is a bubble, mark my words it's going to cause havic when it pops. I'll be laughing my a$$ when it does, just like 2000.
Originally Posted by ribka

I bought 300 shares of eutherium in July of 2020 and 15 k worth of gold shares in October 2020 plus a bunch of energy stocks. Which is doing better now? I was under the illusion that precious metals would prosper.

The under 40 generation has zero psychological connection to precious metals. This aint Little House on the Praire anymore.Some of you don't get it, but keep all of your money in gold and silver and I'll diversify.

Very well said.

Im still underwater in gold a year later and look up energy stocks (n plus some tech, financial stocks) and eutherium now compared to a year ago dinosaurs. If you can't adapt you die.

Very well said.

Very well said.

It’s nothing worth arguing over. Most of my money is geared towards retirement and in an IRA, 401K, a rental and then firearm’s (just because I like firearms). A little bit of PM and some cash in hand isn’t a bad idea in case of an unlikely but always possible worst case scenario IMO.
Of course some cash is always good. I keep from 15 to 20 per cent in cash now waiting some real estate buying opportunities hopefully next year

Very well said.

It’s nothing worth arguing over. Most of my money is geared towards retirement and in an IRA, 401K, a rental and then firearm’s (just because I like firearms). A little bit of PM and some cash in hand isn’t a bad idea in case of an unlikely but always possible worst case scenario IMO.

Im still underwater in gold a year later and look up energy stocks (n plus some tech, financial stocks) and eutherium now compared to a year ago dinosaurs. If you can't adapt you die.

Very well said.

The haters don't understand it. They won't look at real world comparisons. Let them have their gold. They are the ones content with a 15% return from equities, with 14%+ inflation but they are the know it alls! Nothing last forever, but those that cling onto the past always miss the boat in the future. The funny thing about it is they can hold their gold and Bitcoin too. But you know you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
If the crisis is bad enough and the peoples of the world acquiesce to the U.N. and throw out their constitutions in favor of the NWO what store of value or property could be defended? We are headed that direction and there is work going on night and day to get the whole population of earth into that corral. A lot of headway has been made towards this end. Absolute control of currency is essential to this plan. There will be a few holdouts who will be dealt with in due time. Alternate mediums of trade cannot be allowed. It will be surprising how many will welcome and embrace this sort of takeover.

but you cant put crypto in your saddle bags and ride to town to pick up your lard, sugar and flour and hard tack

Very well said.

The haters don't understand it. They won't look at real world comparisons. Let them have their gold. They are the ones content with a 15% return from equities, with 14%+ inflation but they are the know it alls! Nothing last forever, but those that cling onto the past always miss the boat in the future. The funny thing about it is they can hold their gold and Bitcoin too. But you know you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

but you cant put crypto in your saddle bags and ride to town to pick up your lard, sugar and flour and hard tack

Very well said.

Or use it at all during a power outage…

In real time 2021 how many of us are buying and selling goods with crypto Vs. Easily being able to convert gold to cash at almost any mom and pop coin shop.
so when the big crash comes, Each mom and pop pawn shop will have millions in useless cash in their safes all over America to reimburse gold and silver speculators?

Very well said.

In real time 2021 how many of us are buying and selling goods with crypto Vs. Easily being able to convert gold to cash at almost any mom and pop coin shop.
so when the big crash comes, Each mom and pop pawn shop will have millions in useless cash in their safes all over America to reimburse gold and silver speculators?

Very well said.

They may have other things in surplus that they’ll trade for hard currency especially during a short term days or weeks power outage. More importantly during a long term disaster I would imagine that you could go to any third world country today (should the US devolve into that) and that you could buy favors and protection with gold as a currency even while paper money was in a tailspin or crypto unavailable. Granted I don’t see it happening now or tomorrow but when it does happen it usually happens without notice. I don’t see gold as a substitute for a market based retirement plan but having some put away along with guns and ammo isn’t a bad idea IMO.

[/quote][/quote]
They may have other things in surplus that they’ll trade for hard currency especially during a short term days or weeks power outage. More importantly during a long term disaster I would imagine that you could go to any third world country today (should the US devolve into that) and that you could buy favors and protection with gold as a currency even while paper money was in a tailspin or crypto unavailable. Granted I don’t see it happening now or tomorrow but when it does happen it usually happens without notice. I don’t see gold as a substitute for a market based retirement plan but having some put away along with guns and ammo isn’t a bad idea IMO. [/quote]

Yes you are right probably not a bad idea at all. The problem is this isn't about a doomsday case. It is about smart investing, you see the fact of the matter is still that gold is not and has not been a good hedge. Bitcoin out performs it as do many crypto currencies. The old school hard headed can't teach an old dog new tricks crowds only answer lays in some made up doomsday scenario. Because they can't show any model of gold in the present that can even come close to Bitcoin. We can go round and round here all day and night with rhetoric but when push comes to shove the data doesn't workout no matter how you stack it. Good real estate is and has been a better hedge than gold.

[/quote]
They may have other things in surplus that they’ll trade for hard currency especially during a short term days or weeks power outage. More importantly during a long term disaster I would imagine that you could go to any third world country today (should the US devolve into that) and that you could buy favors and protection with gold as a currency even while paper money was in a tailspin or crypto unavailable. Granted I don’t see it happening now or tomorrow but when it does happen it usually happens without notice. I don’t see gold as a substitute for a market based retirement plan but having some put away along with guns and ammo isn’t a bad idea IMO. [/quote]

Yes you are right probably not a bad idea at all. The problem is this isn't about a doomsday case. It is about smart investing, you see the fact of the matter is still that gold is not and has not been a good hedge. Bitcoin out performs it as do many crypto currencies. The old school hard headed can't teach an old dog new tricks crowds only answer lays in some made up doomsday scenario. Because they can't show any model of gold in the present that can even come close to Bitcoin. We can go round and round here all day and night with rhetoric but when push comes to shove the data doesn't workout no matter how you stack it. Good real estate is and has been a better hedge than gold.
[/quote]
Agreed. I don’t see gold as a great investment tool either. Better than most things that a person can spend money on but I’ll take stock and real estate over PM for an overall investment and retirement strategy. Guns and gold are tangible and fun in away that stocks or crypto aren’t but they shouldn’t be a primary investment strategy.
gold and silver in reality are no different than crypto. Crypto just took their place. maybe 10 per cent portfolio precious metals now

and cost money to store.

I'm as dumb as a stone on this, but I a agree with Norman.

Where does this crypto come from, and what establishes it's value?

And they mine it?🤣

So I create Dbucks.
100 of them.
Only they aren't even paper, just a number on a screen.
After a bunch of savvy investors give $1000 for each,
I "mine" (issue numbers from 1001-2000) 1000 more, and dribble them
out at "auction". The value is $5k/ Suddenly, there are 2000 Dbucks that are worth
$5000 each?

So, only the last one brought $5k.
The average is $1250.
I keep that money, because I made the numbers (mined), and name.

The holders have a freaking number, and nothing more.
It doesn't even give them the paper to put the number on.

Surely it's more complicated than that.
But how much more solid?
And if it isn't, why would you think it's better than
Any fiat currency.

Not real big on metals as investments, more storage for a day you hope to not see.

But, if one actually buys gold.
They will have something they can hold, see, sell, use.

If just one of these crypto currencies collapses, and people sell
the others, it'll look like the last seconds of the Hindenburg.

With way bigger effects.

Comparing a meme coin to Bitcoin or even layer one’s shows just how dumb you really are. But please continue!

Well given your level of expertise to this point (or lack there of), your responses are still golden. I love it! My favorite is that you have zero substance or facts but just personal attacks. Now granted I'll point out your lack of knowledge and make fun of it while I refute it with facts and I acknowledge that might confuse you into thinking I'm gaslighting like you do but in actuality I'm taking you apart methodically and showing you for what and who you are. I could care less about you as a person, but when you try to step up as someone when you're nothing more than a charlatan at best and I think the readers here deserve to know who you are. Sorry not sorry.
© 24hourcampfire