Home
Posted By: SandBilly Fire ants - 11/16/21
Just had my first run in with these evil little bastids.

Stopped by my brothers land to get a quick zero on a rifle. I used an old oak as a rest. I don’t know how long they were on me before I felt it but I know how they got their name now.

Fire ants 1

Billy 0

It’s on now..
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
FIRST time?! Count yourself lucky 😊
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
They are the devil!!
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r

We didn’t have them where I’m from.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Burn that fugging tree to the ground!!
😆

That’s not evil enough.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
When we lived in S. Texas, all three boys were young. We had a park near the house with trails through the oak brush, it was full of anthills.

They loved to go back there and pound those things with rocks to see the ants come boiling out.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly

What planet is that?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

What planet is that?

Yep, New Mexico.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
We had them on the run using Mirex treated corncob media until the tree huggers stepped in. They primarily lived where there were no fire ants, so they were experts.
Posted By: specialK Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
You must be low on red Chile or they wouldn’t have Fuc ked with u. Tough it out pansy a$$. Lol
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
I remember standing on a sidewalk in Austin waiting for the light to change so I could cross the street. This is 1985.

I recall being bit and holy cow. The person standing by me said it was a fire ant.

I am from Arizona, and we don’t have them here. I had been bit by ants before, but it’s usually when I inadvertently stand on their nest.

This fire ant must have claimed that sidewalk his.
Originally Posted by specialK
You must be low on red Chile or they wouldn’t have Fuc ked with u. Tough it out pansy a$$. Lol

Lol, I am. Have to buy that crap in a jar here.

P.S.
[bleep] tomatillos too
Posted By: CWT Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
The old tobacco insecticide Orthene is your huckleberry. Stinky stuff but it works.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
That sucks !

How many times did you get hit ?

Luckily, my climate is to cold for them....I’ve never seen them, either. Hope I never do.

🦫
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Get Talstar Pro, if that isn't available get Bifen IT, they are made for termites and will kill fire ants instantly, nothing more satisfying then watching then die as you spray.
Posted By: RicG Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Talstar (Bifenthrin) is ok. Better yet, anything containing Fipronil such as Termidor.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
lol
Posted By: shootem Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
I don’t know how long they were on me before I felt it but I know how they got their name now.

That’s their plan of attack. Head honcho let’s a few hundred of his foot soldiers get on board. Nobody stings till he blows the whistle…………then they all sting.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Fire ants - 11/16/21
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I remember standing on a sidewalk in Austin waiting for the light to change so I could cross the street. This is 1985.

I recall being bit and holy cow. The person standing by me said it was a fire ant.

I am from Arizona, and we don’t have them here. I had been bit by ants before, but it’s usually when I inadvertently stand on their nest.

No fire ants in AZ?
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
That sucks !

How many times did you get hit ?

Luckily, my climate is to cold for them....I’ve never seen them, either. Hope I never do.

🦫

16-17

Between the fingers sucks.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by shootem
I don’t know how long they were on me before I felt it but I know how they got their name now.

That’s their plan of attack. Head honcho let’s a few hundred of his foot soldiers get on board. Nobody stings till he blows the whistle…………then they all sting.

Exactly what they did.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Just had my first run in with these evil little bastids.

Stopped by my brothers land to get a quick zero on a rifle. I used an old oak as a rest. I don’t know how long they were on me before I felt it but I know how they got their name now.

Fire ants 1

Billy 0

It’s on now..

they crawl on then they all sting you on cue, my worst was running trotlines, it had flooded and I had a ball of them get on me, was stung from waist to my head almost drowned trying to stay underwater and get them off.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

No fire ants in AZ?

To dry.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
My first encounter was 1971 hauling hay, no ants in 1970. I live near Houston
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
A Pennsylvania boy, we don't have them. But I spent enough time
in the South to hear all about them.

About 3am one morning I was sitting on a curb stop at a
South Carolina Waffle House, and felt them start on my leg.
Darn near like a bee sting, and every bite got infected.
Every one also left a scar. Don't know if that's normal, or if
I'm sensitive to them. Do know I hope to never meet them again.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A Pennsylvania boy, we don't have them. But I spent enough time
in the South to hear all about them.

About 3am one morning I was sitting on a curb stop at a
South Carolina Waffle House, and felt them start on my leg.
Darn near like a bee sting, and every bite got infected.
Every one also left a scar. Don't know if that's normal, or if
I'm sensitive to them. Do know I hope to never meet them again.

they leave little puss blisters.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt
We had them on the run using Mirex treated corncob media until the tree huggers stepped in. They primarily lived where there were no fire ants, so they were experts.

The problem with Mirex is it’s about like DDT, doesn’t go away.

Anyhoo.... as noted, on the plus side fire ants do clear out chiggers and ticks.

Around here fire ants have declined to more tolerable levels, the Asian crazy ants seem to have hammered them. But crazy ants here came and went, ain’t seen one in a few years. Fire ants however have not regained their former numbers.

It may be the brain-eating fly that’s keeping em in check, I dunno, I believe SW Research Foundation on the far west side of town was one of the original release sites.

Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

No fire ants in AZ?

To dry.

I was being facetious. Where I lived in AZ we had plenty of fire ants lol
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
I got attacked 3 times in 2020 stepping on mounds in high grass. In the fields you could see mounds spaced all over the place. Dozens of them in less than an acre. But this year I can barely find a mound at all. I think I've come across three all this year.

They are rotten little bastards. I look out for them more than cottonmouths and rattlesnakes. Nothing like getting them down inside your boot or up your pant leg.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Fire ants - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

they crawl on then they all sting you on cue, my worst was running trotlines, it had flooded and I had a ball of them get on me, was stung from waist to my head almost drowned trying to stay underwater and get them off.

Yep, they occupy river banks in S America, when it floods whole colonies form floating balls of ants to wait it out. And a real high reproductive rate to occupy the bare mud flats when the annual floods recede.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Fire ants - 11/18/21
I remember reading a story about some guy (or gal, don't recall) who had a bad run in with fire ants in TX. Wound up in the hospital. After a while, the patient laying in the hospital bed was screaming that they were being attacked by the hell ants again. The medical staff told the person it was in their head. Eventually they pulled the sheets back to reveal a great number of the little bastards all over this poor soul, giving him the what for.
Posted By: overmax Re: Fire ants - 11/18/21
Straight gasoline works wonders on them, goes straight to the queen.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Fire ants - 11/18/21
I agree. When I was a kid and living in Idaho there was a huge hill just up the road from my parent's house. Nasty dam things would eat your azz off. I fixed them with a gallon of the old mans gas one day. Let it soak for about 30 minutes and then lit it off. Problem solved, no more ants!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Fire ants - 11/18/21
Don't know for sure what's in Idaho, but I don't think it was fire ants.

Probably something like the red ants we have.

Fire ants are, maybe 1/3 the size.
Not very big at all.
But they sting, not just bite.

They are wayyy worse.

Some, have anaphylactic reactions to the little bvastards.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Fire ants - 11/19/21
They vary in size, even those from the same nest.
They bite and hang on with their jaws, sting with their stinger and can squirt their poison onto the skin. I think I’ve read that through pheromone signaling they really do all sting at about the same time.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Fire ants - 11/19/21
Fire Ants ,..yep met those little suckers at Fort Stewart Georgia on my first Field exercise in 1983 .Hit the ground prone and began shooting blanks at the opposing forces ,..I thought i was getting shot for real from the Op.For.. when a couple hundred of them bastages started bitting me ,Iam from W.Va we did not have them ,learned to look before you drop
© 24hourcampfire