Home
Posted By: Mike70560 Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Looking for recommendations on a good honing steel. Ceramic? Flat? Round? Thinking 12-14 inches long.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I've had 2 ceramics, one was high dollar...I am not impressed.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Just an old dexter russell.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
https://www.amazon.com/Jewelstik-PG123-10-Inch-Kitchen-Sharpener/dp/B002CGS5XY
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I have this one, works great.

Hone
Posted By: strikeu Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Japanese natural whetstone (several different brands)- Kinda pricey but the best.

after that a shapton stone (I settled for one of these) glass or ceramic, they're both really good.

very very distant 3rd is an Arkansas waterstone.

all can be found on amazon or ebay
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Several months ago I decided to learn how to sharpen a knife. I have worn out several knives trying to sharpen them and was never satisfied with the results. I have a Lansky sharpening set and realized how sharp a knife can be but it is not always handy or feasible. I am by no means an expert or even very good at it. After using stones to acquire an edge, hones are the next step. I like diamond hones. The one referenced above at Amazon works well. I also have a razor hone like barbers used to use. It is a very fine stone, not a strop. If I don't let the edge get too bad I can restore it with a hone and a leather strop. I have not been satisfied with ceramic or steel. I know butchers use a steel all the time and keep their knives very sharp. I have just not acquired that talent, yet.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Do you keep a leather strop handy?
Most of the time, that's all you need to do.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I put honing compound on the edges of my knife sheaths.
Posted By: victoro Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Go to a restaurant supply store they have all kinds of sharpening equipment. I gave my SIL a diamond sharpening rod and a good steel for his birthday. I can get a very dull knife sharp enough to shave with in just a few minutes but he can't figure out how to use them.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Do what Roger said. After he put his axe to a strop and shaved off a chitload of whiskers.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Thanks for the info. I use a set of whetstones for sharpening along with a strop. Just looking for something to keep knives sharp in between sharpening.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

These work pretty good.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
it seems a lot of folks are confused about what a honing steel actually is. It is a steel rod, not ceramic, diamond or glass. It's a steel rod
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it seems a lot of folks are confused about what a honing steel actually is. It is a steel rod, not ceramic, diamond or glass. It's a steel rod

......and as I understand it, it does not remove any metal only straightens out a rolled edge. Many things sold as "steels" are actually sharpening rods that remove metal.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I use the steel that came with my Henkel knives to roll the edge back, but would merely refer to it as a steel. It will not sharpen, hone or anything but square up the edge. With that said, I'm 4 years into these knives and NEVER used anything to sharpen them.....and i own a ton of sharpening equipment.

Stropping can be counterproductive if done wrong. If too much pressure is applied, the edge gets eroded.
Posted By: buckhunterbb Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I have an old Schrade Old-Timer Honesteel, model HS-1. Probably had it over 30 yrs, haven't used it most of them years. Never did learn proper technique to use it.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
I have an old (70s) Gerber honing steel that's fairly large size. The flat one with the folding leather "handle/sheath". Quite good. I also have an old Schrade USA Honesteel, which is much smaller (and more packable, for sure).

I am a big fan of honing steels now. I have to use the flat ones, and I know I use them in an unconventional manner, but they work well for me. I don't care for the round rods, and never could do the thing like you see butchers do to hone their knives.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
And yes, they are abrasive, and they will remove steel from the blade. Not much, but a little bit.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Something from a farm or estate sale.
The older the better.
Posted By: victoro Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Thanks for the info. I use a set of whetstones for sharpening along with a strop. Just looking for something to keep knives sharp in between sharpening.

A steel doesn't keep it sharp it just temporarily straightens an already sharp edge.
Posted By: visalia6mm Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
Just get a spiderco sharp maker and be done with it

So easy a third grader can get any knife shave sharp in minutes
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Honing Steel - 11/17/21
My dad had one he bought from Herters. It is made of steel and just dresses up an already sharp edge
Posted By: huntersdog Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
Amazon for $7 a ceramic one.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
I have an old (70s) Gerber honing steel that's fairly large size. The flat one with the folding leather "handle/sheath". Quite good. I also have an old Schrade USA Honesteel, which is much smaller (and more packable, for sure).

I am a big fan of honing steels now. I have to use the flat ones, and I know I use them in an unconventional manner, but they work well for me. I don't care for the round rods, and never could do the thing like you see butchers do to hone their knives.

I have the Gerber steel too. I like it.

Another item of interest for final edge, is the quickly disappearing quartz tube halogen light bulbs that used to light parking lots. Hard and smooth.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21

Steels are only to straighten the rolled over edge, they don’t grind away steel, some people like diamond coated ones but those remove metal instead of repairing they go further, I like traditional steel, and ceramics work good as well but most people hold the knife too angled for ceramics to work well.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
You can find the guy who thinks he can steel a knife,
more than,
he actually can steel a knife.

He's the one with a gash to the bone across his off hand thumb knuckle.

With carbon knives, frequent stealing will keep them cutting a long time
between sharpening. And that makes them last a lot longer.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
ceramic wiring insulators from old houses work well too.

surprised no one said bottom of your coffee mug...
Posted By: strikeu Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21

since the OP opened up with

"Looking for recommendations on a good honing steel. Ceramic? Flat? Round? Thinking 12-14 inches long."

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and considered that fact that he might have misspoken and wanted something to provide an edge on a knife. since he said ceramic and flat.

Otherwise, I could have been a diQk like you and pointed out the flaws in his argument. but I didn't.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
Several months ago I decided to learn how to sharpen a knife. I have worn out several knives trying to sharpen them and was never satisfied with the results. I have a Lansky sharpening set and realized how sharp a knife can be but it is not always handy or feasible. I am by no means an expert or even very good at it. After using stones to acquire an edge, hones are the next step. I like diamond hones. The one referenced above at Amazon works well. I also have a razor hone like barbers used to use. It is a very fine stone, not a strop. If I don't let the edge get too bad I can restore it with a hone and a leather strop. I have not been satisfied with ceramic or steel. I know butchers use a steel all the time and keep their knives very sharp. I have just not acquired that talent, yet.

Your post count would indicate that you have been around the 'fire long enough to realize that to admit to not being an expert at, or even very good at, sharpening knives is simply not done.
wink
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Honing Steel - 11/18/21
Originally Posted by strikeu

since the OP opened up with

"Looking for recommendations on a good honing steel. Ceramic? Flat? Round? Thinking 12-14 inches long."

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and considered that fact that he might have misspoken and wanted something to provide an edge on a knife. since he said ceramic and flat.

Otherwise, I could have been a diQk like you and pointed out the flaws in his argument. but I didn't.

Mannlicker is a stickler for details.....
© 24hourcampfire