Home
Posted By: Valsdad My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Finally, after trying since spring, I had a consult appointment with the back orthopedic docs in the big city of Redding to the west of here about a 3 hr drive. A friend has used this Doc to good advantage. Had hopes to button this all up before winter and really bad weather hits.

Left home about 0830 or so, raining, 40F or so, therefore no snow and ice going over 4 passes on 299 on the way to Redding. Cool, I like that idea.

Drive an hour and half or so, stop at Hat Creek park to pee, back on the road in a few minutes. Probably have time for lunch, but not a Costco trip, before appt time. Not speeding more than a couple MPH over the signage limit. Got to a spot with a commercial box truck in front of me, guy in a big Dodge PU riding my ass around corners and such. At the passing lane I get by the box truck, let the Dodge fly by, and proceed into the very curvy section along Cow Creek, approaching the metropolis of Ingot CA (look that one up wink ). After about 2-3 turns the Dodge was nowhere in sight, so I was able to proceed at my pace.

Probably about 5 miles through the curve, I came upon a sweeping left, entered it, seem to recall a jiggle or slight jerk in the steering, then the start of a spin across the center line. I counter steered and kept the car from doing a complete spin, but ran out of room and hit the dirt along the creek side of the highway. Next thing I know it was going over the edge, over large rip-rap armoring the creek bank, and then I was upside down in the creek with water coming in the car. It's mostly a shallow creek, but there are some deep spots and as there was water coming up the driver's side window, the upstream side, I figured I better get out NOW. Pulled the seat belt for a bit of slack and popped the catch, scrambled over to the downstream passenger door, which budged an inch or two, then stopped, letting in even more water. I had a cheap knife with some of the liner metal sticking out of the handle, tried that as a window breaker, no luck. I then just told myself I WILL push that door open. And it worked.

After getting the door open I half crawled out, getting a bit of water in my face, then stepped out and stood up on rocks and boulders in water up to my belt at times. I watched the cardboard box I kept on the seat float downstream, it just kept some everyday stuff in it, like water bottles and such. Couldn't get up the bank right where the car went in, due to the blackberry bushes and willow trees. Went downstream a little ways, 20-30 yards maybe, and found a more clear path over the rip-rap (3' diameter boulders and such) so I could get to the road and get some help on the way.

Lucky for me, a passenger in a car going the other direction saw the car overturned in the creek, the driver went a little ways and turned around and came back. As I was about 1/3 way up perhaps, I heard voices, looked up and there were 5 guys there. Mexicans. No more disparaging of Mexicans around here. A couple of them scrabbled down and gave me a hand up the rocks to the road. Between one guy's pretty decent English and my poor Spanish I was able to let them know what happened and that I was the only person involved. No cell service in that canyon, probably for 5 miles in either direction. The local 15 passenger bus came by and stopped, the driver said she'd call when she got to the store to the east where there was service. I was soaked, wearing just a t-shirt and my Wrangler Riggs cargo shorts, no shoes as I drive barefoot and the sandals were not on my mind as the car was flooding.

Got across the road to the guys' car, they found me a light jacket I put on after taking off my shirt. One of the guys gave me a pair of flip-flops he had in the car. Our biggest worry was another car coming around that corner at speed and panicking and spinning out again. About that time a Cal-Fire engine showed up, had their lights going, moved over to the other side of the road and gave me a pack to sit on while they checked my health. I was bleeding a bit, as I'm on thinners, so every little scratch from the rocks and brambles was trying to leak. The two kids on the engine decided they needed to practice their wound dressing, so I got BIG friggen gauze and tape bandages on my calf, right wrist , and left elbow (which has a nice scrap on it, covered with a large band aid now). Some nice lady had stopped too, and had a blanket to put around me until the Capt on the engine found one of theirs.

Lucky for me, I had put my wallet back in my front pocket when stopping for the pee break earlier. Unfortunately, phone, checkbook, and the little notebook that resides in a back pocket were sitting on the passenger seat. And a sling bag with some extra ammo, (Kyle trial verdict prep) clean undies, a little snack food, spare flashlight, immodium and Tylenol was stuffed behind the front seat. Called the towing company tonight, they have the checkbook and sling bag, not sure about other things that may still be in the car at their yard. Not open until Monday, so I'll try to find a ride back then.

Eventually, a Supervisor from the EMT folks showed up, then 3 CHP officers. I started getting some treatment, had a talk with the CHP about the little pistol in my pocket, when we walked across the road to look at the accident. Was told to give it to Security at the hospital (no doubt, they didn't want the hassle of custody until I could get it back).

Funny thing, every one, from the Mexicans, the blanket lady, Cal-Fire, Popo, and EMTs thought I must be freezing cold. Buncha lowlanders, I told them heck, this (probably 50F+) was pretty warm compared to places I've been and things I've done. Heck, it was 17F at my house the morning before all this hoopla.

Then took a bambalance ride to Redding, 1/2 or so, and into the ER, where I was given pretty good service considering ERs in bigger towns. Damndest thing for me was not being allowed to go use the head when I needed to, as they didn't want me to get up until they got the x-rays and CT scans read. I hate laying on a gurney/bed peeing in a jug. And I'd had a coupla cups of good coffee before the scheidt hit the fan.

Outside of a big knot on my shoulder, likely hit it on the attachment point on the door post for the shoulder strap, and strain from the shoulder harness across my chest, most everything is superficial scratches and bruises. Everyone thinks I should really be hurtin' and laid up, I tell my wife, and friends and relatives that understand these things, I've hurt worse after a couple of fights I've been in. But those were all 34 + years ago! I'm OLD now, so maybe I really do hurt but I'm just not willing to let it stop life.

My wife is a trooper, after contacting her and my sister, both of whose numbers I happen to have memorized still, gathered up the whippets and made the drive to Redding, heading into the sunset, with asshat drivers making time for the weekend. She picked me up in time to get a motel room, find a Petsmart to get some food for the pooches, and hit the hay before 9PM. Made the drive back today, wasn't safe to stop and get pics of the accident site. I'm hoping the tow company has some of the car in the creek. My phone camera likely didn't take any underwater ones.

One never knows if the little ball in the lottery machine is going to come up with one's number on any given day. So, tell your loved ones you love them frequently, kiss your wife goodbye every time you part, and maybe wear your seatbelt. Going over the bank, crashing into boulders and willows, and then flipping over is not an adventure I'd want to be on without being strapped in.

No pics of the accident as I said, but one of the knot on my shoulder. Because, as renegade says...............Pics, or it didn't happen

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Holy smokes man, glad you're not drowned!
Glad your OK !
Shìt!
Geez, Geno. Glad you're okay.
Pull yer damn shorts up.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good thing I didn't have to bend over for the plumbers' view.
Dang Geno! Happy to see you survived.

Remember Freidrich Engels: "That which does not kill you makes you stronger!"
Valsdad,

I know we haven't seen eye to eye on everything over the past year. It doesn't matter to me and hope you can overlook it too.
When I mentioned the links below in my signature, they were meant to be a blessing to anyone who might face a challenge like you did. It's just good that you are doing well and able to report here.

The videos are real short.
Dang Geno glad your ok. Sounds like it could have been alot worse
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Them Cal Fire boys ain't no slouches.

Are you gonna be able to fine another beige 88 Volvo?
Cheer up...it could'a been the Pit River Bluffs...then we'd be reading about in the obituaries. Glad you made it.
Jeez man, so happy to hear you made it out intact with only minor injuries. It could have been much worse and we'd be without the smartest guy at the Fire.
Take it easy and get healed up before you go car shopping.
Really Geno, take care, this place wouldn't be the same without you.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Valsdad,

I know we haven't seen eye to eye on everything over the past year. It doesn't matter to me and hope you can overlook it too.
When I mentioned the links below in my signature, they were meant to be a blessing to anyone who might face a challenge like you did. It's just good that you are doing well and able to report here.

You fugging chickenshit.

Me an Geno are Roman Catholics.

So....fugg off.
Geno;
Good grief man!!

I'm glad to read you're okay.

Ugh, going into the water isn't a good thing at all.

Thanks for letting us know you're okay though.

Dwayne
Posted By: Dutch Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
dude....... glad that's all it was....
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Cheer up...it could'a been the Pit River Bluffs...then we'd be reading about in the obituaries. Glad you made it.

Or worse yet...some crazy liberal bitch coulda mistaken Geno for a small black child and driven off the cliff.

You know...to save him from Racism.
I've had a few close call in my day. It sure makes you think about what's really important. You dodged a huge bullet, looks to me.
Damn Geno!!! I’m glad you’re ok. If it helps I know exactly where Ingot is…

Them Cal Fire boys ain't no slouches.

Are you gonna be able to fine another beige 88 Volvo?

Fugger,

it was our 2004 (late '03) Toyota Matrix. With ONLY 230000 miles on it, excellent body for the age of the vehicle, 36 MPG, daily driver I decided to keep when we got the wife the new car in 2016. Save putting miles on that and the Tacoma when we just have to go to town for groceries and scheidt.

It was the first brand new vehicle we were able to afford after getting together as starving students in '96 and traveling around the country with work and such in an 84 Subaru wagon and '86 2WD 'yota p/u. Both purchased used with over 100K miles on them.

Got home today, looked out the window, and told the wife. "Weird looking out and not seeing that car out there".
Glad you are good Geno.
As far as hurting, if you get to Monday evening without it, you are good.
My money says it'll feel different tomorrow morning, or with sundown.
Hope I'm wrong!
Pears sent Geno.

Going up that hill where the over look is up near the top, I think it's powerhouse #1 (???) down below with the penstock coming down, would sure be one hell of a last ride if one were to go over in that spot.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Glad you are good Geno.
As far as hurting, if you get to Monday evening without it, you are good.
My money says it'll feel different tomorrow morning, or with sundown.
Hope I'm wrong!

Hurts a bit more today than yesterday in the hospital. Not bad though. I've got a couple of pills for my back and arthritis I can take if it gets really bad. So far, muscle relaxer and tylenol keep it manageable.
Ugly bruise, glad to hear your ok.
Glad you made it!
Thanks for sharing. Another wakeup call for all of us.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Geno;
Good grief man!!

I'm glad to read you're okay.

Ugh, going into the water isn't a good thing at all.

Thanks for letting us know you're okay though.

Dwayne

Believe me Canadian friend, when I realized I was in the water I told my self I AM NOT dying in this car.

I'm just glad it was creek and not a real river.

Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: Lonny Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Son-of-a-b____! Glad you survived it.

Heal up well Geno!
Dang Geno.... glad you're ok.....
I was in a roadblock up there years ago, cop cars, fire trucks, CalTrans.....window down, I could hear a popping noise down in the gorge. I got out and went up to ask the flagman what was going on. He said they are shooting injured cattle, a cow truck slid off the edge. Holy schidt what a mess. Now they got guardrails and boulders on the edge.
How are them weird slender doggies handling the news?
Funny (not really so funny) is that crawling up out of there I noticed car parts that did not seem to come from my vehicle. CHP told me there's been more than one over the side there.

And on the way back today, there were plastic flowers on the roadside, attached to a mile post a mile or so downstream of where I went in, and we all know what plastic flowers on the roadside mean.

My sister was using her googlefu last night to check out where the accident happened and ran across articles from a couple of months back about two on that section of road a couple of months back. Apparently it's a well known section of hwy 299 for crashes.

Oh well, as I have the privilege of driving it a few times a year, folks are just going to have to get used to waiting for the old gray haired boomer toodling along. I'll likely be in my truck, and while it runs well, it doesn't corner like the Matrix.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

I thought it was Friedrich Nietzsche.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

He is not a philosopher.

His last name does not start with an S.
Funny (not really so funny) is that crawling up out of there I noticed car parts that did not seem to come from my vehicle. CHP told me there's been more than one over the side there.

And on the way back today, there were plastic flowers on the roadside, attached to a mile post a mile or so downstream of where I went in, and we all know what plastic flowers on the roadside mean.

My sister was using her googlefu last night to check out where the accident happened and ran across articles from a couple of months back about two on that section of road a couple of months back. Apparently it's a well known section of hwy 299 for crashes.

Oh well, as I have the privilege of driving it a few times a year, folks are just going to have to get used to waiting for the old gray haired boomer toodling along. I'll likely be in my truck, and while it runs well, it doesn't corner like the Matrix.

Just amble along.

Your old two hair band hippy ass will get there just as quickly.
Damn Geno.......glad to see you're OK.

Now drop and give me 20, BITCH!
I was in a roadblock up there years ago, cop cars, fire trucks, CalTrans.....window down, I could hear a popping noise down in the gorge. I got out and went up to ask the flagman what was going on. He said they are shooting injured cattle, a cow truck slid off the edge. Holy schidt what a mess. Now they got guardrails and boulders on the edge.

I was wondering about that there on Cow Creek. A few guard rails, but where I was they could have had some K barriers or boulders there. Sure, they'll fugg up a vehicle, but going down that rip-rap does too, and there's water at the bottom.

A person more seriously injured than I was easily could have drowned in the water that entered the car. That can't happen if the car stays up the bank.

Cops were talking before I left in the free ride, they were going to have to stop traffic both directions for the wrecker to get it out. Not sure if I mentioned it, but I was told it took two trucks to get it up the bank.

I bet there were some really PO"d folks yesterday !!!!
Wow Geno I’m glad you’re ok that’s way too close for comfort.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Bless you.

We wouldn't want Geno growing up soft would we?
How are them weird slender doggies handling the news?

My boy Breeze has little or no problem with unusual stuff. The old girl doesn't like change, but at nearly 13 years old, moving from the Fresno area, to the Sacramento area, to the Portlandia, and then here, she's seen a lot and deals with it mostly.

The new guy, he's not as used to staying in motels, having to pee with cars and trucks going by when we walk him there, motel noises and such.

Once we got home, they all slept well and are back to "normal", as normal as whippety dogs can be..
Good deal.
Maybe I missed it, but do you know the cause of the spin?

Bless you.

I don't think I could do 20 when I was twenty.

Now, do some 750 lb leg lifts on the universal machine. I was doing that at 15.

I have to go watch some HOCKEY now.

G'night folks, and thanks for the well wishes.
Originally Posted by logger

Yeah...the fugging Russians.

Bless you.

I don't think I could do 20 when I was twenty.

Now, do some 750 lb leg lifts on the universal machine. I was doing that at 15.

I have to go watch some HOCKEY now.

G'night folks, and thanks for the well wishes.

We used to do 1000 on the hip sled.

Now I am a broke dick sheep farmer.

Anything is possible.

Wet roads after a couple of weeks of no rain, and as I said, I seem to recall a jiggle or jerk in the steering as I lost control? Hit an oil spot? Tie rod issue? Tire?

Not going to be able find much after riding over the rocks and then flipping.

I had already negotiated miles of twisty mountain road at the speeds I usually drive before I hit that spot, with no evidence of the tires slipping and sliding. The front tires I expected to get me through another winter of light use, they are the studless snow tires with lots of siping and walnut shell incorporated into the tread. Left rear tire was a bit worn on the outer edge and I was thinking if Schwabies had the same tires I'd get two new ones to replace that and the most worn of the other three.

It was basically a WTF type of moment.

Yeah...the fugging Russians.

or....................................

ALIENS!
Syncope.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Valsdad,

You fugging chickenshit.

Me an Geno are Roman Catholics.

So....fugg off.

Yeah, when they asked at the horsepistol about a preference, that's what I told them.

I figured I ain't never had that Extreme Unction stuff, might as well try it before I head to the bright light.
Yikes!! Glad you are OK..
You must be living right if that’s the limit to your personal damage!

You don’t need the hamsters videos! wink

Glad you came out ok.
Trumpsters singled out Geno for his political beliefs.
You might be old (er) but we sure are durable.

Hope you can fill that hole in you life on the loss of the car,it can be replaced You can't.

Bless you.

Geno and I are homies.

Homies are not "soft", by design.

He da man....

Bless you.

Geno and I are homies.

He da man....

I can't quit you......

Bless you.

Geno and I are homies.

He da man....

I can't quit you......

I don't know what that means, but I LIKE it, cowboy!

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
Glad to hear you’re ok!
Damn!

I’m really glad that you’re ok. You’re one of the good guys in my book. I’m sure you didn’t do your back any favors but thank God you didn’t leave your wife to fend for herself in that god forsaken wasteland that you call home. 😁….she’d freeze without you.

Bless you.

Geno and I are homies.

He da man....

I can't quit you......

I don't know what that means, but I LIKE it, cowboy!

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]

Mmmmm...smells like English Leather.

And salt.
Glad you are ok!
Geno, you are one adventure seeking mofo!

Glad you are alright.
I don't suppose they let you keep your appointment with the specialist?
" I then just told myself I WILL push that door open. And it worked."

Remember that. The way the door moving felt, everything. You did it once, if you ever have to again, you have been there and got out.

It was Nietzsche.
Glad to hear you escaped that ordeal ok. Do you think it was a mechanical failure, or slick road condition?

Be sure to ice that shoulder.
We’re all glad you survived this particular adventure, sorry about the loss of the vehicle.

Prob’ly a connection between the hitch in the steering and the loss of control. I have a 20yo 360,000 mile Corolla sitting in my driveway, still runs. Sure feels loose and wore out going down the road tho, your event tells me it’s time to send it on down the road.

Damn, glad you are OK.
Glad you are ok!
God bless, happy to hear youre ok.
Posted By: SKane Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
😳😳😳

Glad you’re still with us.

You should send Jerry Nadler your diet and exercise plan... he wears his pants around his nipples.

Good story... glad you are good.
Posted By: JeffA Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Well it's obvious your fingers are OK, that's one hell'ov a detailed post describing the event.

Good you were able to maintain your wit's and get yourself out of the car and up out of the creek.
Saving one's self in a difficult situation seems to be something many fall short of.

👍👍
50+ degrees? Yet you hit ice??? WTH? Glad you're gonna be just fine sir... Best wishes.
Glad you are OK!
Whoops! Glad you didn’t need scuba gear.

Ho Li Fook
Whoa brother. Glad you are okay.
Holy chyt man.
Just seen this.

Glad you are ok!!!
All that other stuff can be replaced in due time.
Your lucky man.
Sky 6 was watching out for you.
Could have been alot worse.
Damn. Glad you’re ok Geno.
Posted By: Steve Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Man 'o man Geno! Glad you're okay!
Not much I can add, glad you came out of it as well as you did!
Sonofavitch Man!

I think your just playing the victim card so Ill send you more of my chitty lemons this year.

What I get for taking the night off from this place.

Take care bud. Less of us half breed Dago Catlicks around these days.
Posted By: krp Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
If you was a good guy you'd be gone... all the good guys are gone... pays to be an ass sometimes...

I have that same car as an 09 Vibe, grocery getter.

Heal up buddy.

Kent
Dayum, glad you made it out!
Glad you are as well as you are friend! That was scary just reading...

Mike
People drive or flip their vehicles into roadside canals that are often only a foot or two deep and drown around here all the time. The canals are everywhere.

Glad you're ok, Geno.
Posted By: Deans Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Glad you are ok and doing better.
Posted By: 44mc Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
I am glad that you maid it out alive
Ouch, glad you weren't hurt worse. Gonna suck replacing that car too with prices right now
The thingssome guys do to get attention. 😳😁
Damn glad to hear you’re still with us Geno. Heal fast.
That time period when you know it is not going to be good seems to take forever.

I had a line part coming back empty with a dump bucket on a 60 ton Grove hydraulic pouring the center bent on a bridge in Arlington TX. (might have been worse going out loaded, why it decided to give up at that precise moment is still a mystery), I was booming up to get the next load and the release started a bob that I knew was going to end badly, about the fourth back and forth it went over backwards into the drink, I remember watching the sky rotate and it took for damned ever.

Cab was substantial and the bottom was soft, my fear was being jammed into the mud and not being able to get out when everything quit moving. Like you, the first attempt at getting the door open when the cab filled with water was unsuccessful, but I knew that if I panicked there was a bunch of younguns who were going to be bereft of Pop. I got against the house side and kicked the window out and felt my way around the table and boom to come up, about 10 feet of water and. That stain on my pants was fluid from the crane...

I would wake up trying to figure out which way the bubbles were going so I could hit the surface for years, funny thing it was so murky and stirred up you could not see anything, but your nightmares don't reckon facts.

Very glad you got to tell the story sir!
Posted By: gunzo Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Take care man. Glad you're OK.

Rolling one(a vehicle) ain't fun, & more stiffness(not that kind) sometimes shows up later.
Driving barefoot makes lots of sense.
Originally Posted by 5thShock
" I then just told myself I WILL push that door open. And it worked."

Remember that. The way the door moving felt, everything. You did it once, if you ever have to again, you have been there and got out.

And - adrenaline can be your friend! Glad the damages were mostly monetary, hence an insurance problem.
Heal up soon!
Glad you're OK vd, sounds like it could have been much worse.

You could've been posing a bigsqueeze farewell thread......
Damn glad you made it out Geno!
Whoa baby. Glad you’re OK
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Driving barefoot makes lots of sense.

Sure does if you often spend many hours driving.
Used to. And drove barefoot or wearing bedroom slippers.
After all, it was my home.
Eventually went to flip flops,this story explains why.
Traveling today, it's Crocs strap on sandals.
Originally Posted by kingston

It was Nietzsche.

One of the greatest linebackers.
That coulda been REALLY bad. Glad you got through the ordeal basically in one piece!
Glad you walked away from that.
Holy $hit, glad you made it through in reasonably good shape!
Posted By: g5m Re: My car took a swim yesterday - 11/21/21
Glad you made it out of that!!
Glad you made out OK.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Damn!

I’m really glad that you’re ok. You’re one of the good guys in my book. I’m sure you didn’t do your back any favors but thank God you didn’t leave your wife to fend for herself in that god forsaken wasteland that you call home. 😁….she’d freeze without you.

She's started the fire just fine last night and this morning. Probably can't carry as much wood in from the shed, or stack the 1/2 cord that's out there with another coming today. But she'd do OK for awhile.

She'd definitely move if I was gone, the insurance and my retirement $$$ would allow her to get a place closer to civilization. wink
Dayum dude

Glad youre ok
Youre my favorite old fart, I’d be inconsolable if something happened to you. laugh
Glad you are ok except for the bumps and bruises.

You never know when your number will come up.
Originally Posted by kingston
I don't suppose they let you keep your appointment with the specialist?

Funny thing, as the hospital I ended up with isn't too far from the Ortho place, one of the nurses I was joking around with said "Maybe we can get Dr Monroe to come over here to do the consultation. Your appointment isn't for 15 minutes yet. He could make it on time"

Wife is going to take me to get my scheidt out of the car at the tow yard tomorrow. I'lll salvage what is salvageable. Because of the long the trip there is a Woolrich shirt, a Filson vest, Goretex jacket, Stormy Kromer wool hat, an extra pair of older boots that resides there (like in all my vehicles) and some other items I hope can be saved.

Just stuff in the end, most can be replaced if not.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Youre my favorite old fart, I’d be inconsolable if something happened to you. laugh

Everyone should have a favorite Boomer.

I'm on a fixed income now.

Send CASH! whistle

If not, overnight me one of those pork butts you're always smokin! grin
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Glad to hear you escaped that ordeal ok. Do you think it was a mechanical failure, or slick road condition?

Be sure to ice that shoulder.

Combination of both perhaps. Maybe even some wet leaves? Them things can be a biotch.
Originally Posted by Redneck
50+ degrees? Yet you hit ice??? WTH? Glad you're gonna be just fine sir... Best wishes.

Never said ice. Rain slick roads, first rain oil on them, maybe a mechanical issue. Just weird all tha way around. As I said, I'd already done 100 miles or so on the trip, driving as I usually do, and no slippage until that point.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Holy chyt man.
Just seen this.

Glad you are ok!!!
All that other stuff can be replaced in due time.
Your lucky man.
Sky 6 was watching out for you.
Could have been alot worse.

Conrad and I think it was our Catholic guy upstairs.

Probably some St Christopher medal residue still on my chest from my surfing days in SoCal.
How are your tires?
Valsdad, very sorry for your misfortune, but glad for your good fortune in that you were not killed or seriously injured.

Hope you heal completely soon.

L.W.
Originally Posted by worriedman
That time period when you know it is not going to be good seems to take forever.

I had a line part coming back empty with a dump bucket on a 60 ton Grove hydraulic pouring the center bent on a bridge in Arlington TX. (might have been worse going out loaded, why it decided to give up at that precise moment is still a mystery), I was booming up to get the next load and the release started a bob that I knew was going to end badly, about the fourth back and forth it went over backwards into the drink, I remember watching the sky rotate and it took for damned ever.

Cab was substantial and the bottom was soft, my fear was being jammed into the mud and not being able to get out when everything quit moving. Like you, the first attempt at getting the door open when the cab filled with water was unsuccessful, but I knew that if I panicked there was house bunch of younguns who were going to be bereft of Pop. I got against the house side and kicked the window out and felt my way around the table and boom to come up, about 10 feet of water and. That stain on my pants was fluid form the crane...

I would wake up trying to figure out which way the bubbles were going so I could hit the surface for years, funny thing it was so murky and stirred up you could not see anything, but your nightmares don't reckon facts.

Very glad you got to tell the story sir!

Dang, that would be an even more interesting adventure, for sure. Glad that all worked out for you, and especially your family.

I'm a firm believer that sometimes only a portion of one's number is called.

Sorta like when my wife hit a partial lottery number that was good for a coupla grand. Only it goes in the other direction, not too bad as I don't want to win the final lottery yet.

That slow motion stuff is for real too, at least for me also. Weird feeling for sure. Knowing "This isn't going to end too well" or "This is going to hurt some"
Geno really glad your ok. That road can suck to drive on anytime of the year.
Originally Posted by ironbender
How are your tires?

The ones on the Matrix that crashed, or the ones on the remaining vehicles?

The crashed car had pretty good tires as I think I mentioned. One on the left read was worn on the outside edge, fronts were in really good shape.
Just wondering about tread on the matrix.

You were Belted too, no doubt.
How to spot a true 24HCF member

1. 17 degrees and cargo shorts

2. Drives barefoot

3. Extra ammo in case of rioters in the big city

4. Extra underwear in a fanny pack in case of rioters

5. Shower Pistol

Glad you're ok Hombre.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just wondering about tread on the matrix.

You were Belted too, no doubt.

I started wearing belts when I bought my first brand new car (77 Subaru wagon). Previously, my '54 Bel Aire wasn't equipped.

I figured if they were good enough for A.J. and Parnelli I might as well give them a try.
Originally Posted by Higginez
How to spot a true 24HCF member

1. 17 degrees and cargo shorts

2. Drives barefoot

3. Extra ammo in case of rioters in the big city

4. Extra underwear in a fanny pack in case of rioters

5. Shower Pistol

Glad you're ok Hombre.

^^^^ Nailed it^^^^

laugh
Damn dude. Glad your ok.

I have had a recurring dream about my truck being submerged with the cab filling quickly and I can’t get the seatbelt off…..then I wake up. Scary shiiit.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
© 24hourcampfire