Home
Posted By: velvet tines South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
On a little walk about this week. Any recommendations for good/great Barbecue in central or east coast areas of South and North Carolina. Thank you in advance!!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
Lexington BBQ is the place to go for that style BBQ. Personally I prefer eastern NC vinegar based Q and I live in the heart of Lexington style BBQ area. For a chain restaurant Smithfield’s is pretty good. The boys down east can point you in the right direction east of Raleigh.

Forget that SC mustard based crap, good waste of a pig
Just about anything around Lexington, N.C. will be good pig. Hendrix, Richard’s, College, and Gary’s, all in the Salisbury, N.C. area, are good. Speedy’s and Lexington BBQ, both in Lexington, are good. I also like Stanley’ BBQ, in Greensboro, N.C. My personal favorite, of all these mentioned, is Hendrix BBQ, in Salisbury. If you find yourself in western, N.C., check out Woodlands Pig Pickin Parlor, in Blowing Rock, N.C. You will thank me!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
There is absolutely nothing wrong with mustard-based pig Q. It's different than you may be used to, but that doesn't make it bad. If you like mustard on a ham sammich, you'll like Carolina mustard Q. For the record, I never met a Q I didn't like.
Posted By: hanco Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
If it isn’t from Texas and smoked with mesquite, it ain’t bbq!
It has been so long since I’ve had mustard based BBQ that I can’t honestly render an opinion. I do recall enjoying the pig at Maurice’s, in Columbia,S.C., several years ago. I do believe their pig is mustard based.
Originally Posted by hanco

That’s funny right there. I would walk across the road for your pig, or beef, or whatever you cook out there.

Many of us would have to politely disagree with your assertion, sir.
Posted By: shootem Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
If the joint don’t have smoke coming out a chimney it ain’t selling barbecue. Was down east near Sanford, NC last week and dropped in a Smithfield’s just to give them another chance. Sorry folks but oven roasted pork ain’t barbecue no matter the sauce. And that vinegar “sauce” is baste to those who know barbecue. I’ve forgotten more about barbecue than the Smithfields and like establishments ever knew. I can out cooked’, out servem’, out saucem’, and out shootem’ if need be. I learned at a young age in God’s Country Alabama as did all men in waiting. Flame suit on.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
Texas BBQ, Beef, and NC/SC are two different styles ones not better than the other, when I make pulled pork I sometimes make mustard sometimes vinegar.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Texas BBQ, Beef, and NC/SC are two different styles ones not better than the other, when I make pulled pork I sometimes make mustard sometimes vinegar.

Such intelligent thought and approach are not acceptable at the 'fire.
If you can easily see the smoke, go somewhere they know what they're doing unless you like the taste of ashtray.

There was a time when I had been to practically every bbq joint in SC. The best places live and die by the cooks. Cook retires or ownership changes and there it went. The best I knew are closed or changed hands.

When we visit SC we hit Maurice's. It's probably not the best but it is consistently pretty good. Be sure to get the hash & rice. Big Ts in Columbia has better hash but everything else not so much.

No comment on NC. I'm sure people who grew up eating that thinks it's the best.

And FYI. Sticky Fingers ranks with Shane's Rib Shack and Sonny's. They all suck.
Try this place for decent hog and just about anything else you want. Used to be LGS next door that won't bad, I admit its been a while since dining there but it was always pretty good when I did.

Bums BBQ
Originally Posted by shootem
If the joint don’t have smoke coming out a chimney it ain’t selling barbecue. Was down east near Sanford, NC last week and dropped in a Smithfield’s just to give them another chance. Sorry folks but oven roasted pork ain’t barbecue no matter the sauce. And that vinegar “sauce” is baste to those who know barbecue. I’ve forgotten more about barbecue than the Smithfields and like establishments ever knew. I can out cooked’, out servem’, out saucem’, and out shootem’ if need be. I learned at a young age in God’s Country Alabama as did all men in waiting. Flame suit on.

I certainly agree on Smithfield’s BBQ, but their fried chicken is fantastic. It’s not the Talley House or Daniel Boone Inn, but their chicken is great.

Yep, very true. Especially when considering the sides and what not.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Just about anything around Lexington, N.C. will be good pig. Hendrix, Richard’s, College, and Gary’s, all in the Salisbury, N.C. area, are good. Speedy’s and Lexington BBQ, both in Lexington, are good. I also like Stanley’ BBQ, in Greensboro, N.C. My personal favorite, of all these mentioned, is Hendrix BBQ, in Salisbury. If you find yourself in western, N.C., check out Woodlands Pig Pickin Parlor, in Blowing Rock, N.C. You will thank me!

Great suggestions you have there, but Woodlands ain't what it used to be. Still okay though.

Why would you choose a Smithfield's when you were in the heart of eastern NC style bbq country? Go big!

Smithfield's is okay if you don't have anything better and you need a fix.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21

Your confidence is admirable sir. As to well placed ???????
Posted By: MARCEL Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
If I am east of Raleigh I make it a point to stop in on Skylight Inn in Ayden for their whole hog pulled pork. I can't tell you about their sides because I don't go to a BBQ place to eat their famous mammys mac n cheese or hipster fixed taters. I mean JFC 🙄
Posted By: shootem Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Why would you choose a Smithfield's when you were in the heart of eastern NC style bbq country? Go big!

Smithfield's is okay if you don't have anything better and you need a fix.

Where do I go? Help me!
Posted By: GF1 Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
Wilbur’s on the east side of Goldsboro, NC, on Hwy 70.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/21/21
I do recall enjoying the pig at Maurice’s, in Columbia,S.C., several years ago. I do believe their pig is mustard based.

It is mustard based, and its always good. IMO
Noble Smoke in Charlotte is the best bbq in either state
Best BBQ I've ever hard was at a mobile trailer operation in Harrisburg, PA.
I see they have a Mission BBQ in Jacksonville now. Probably about as good as anything else around... grin
Posted By: MARCEL Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
If you want Texas style head to John Lewis in Charleston
Heading to Jacksonville NC next week. Any really good places close by? Can’t get any good barbecue up this way
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Such intelligent thought and approach are not acceptable at the 'fire.

What the hecks wrong with you Roger?
You can't be so reasonable.
Ain't allowed.

Only decent anything is what I do.
You might come close if you do exactly as I do it!
With the stuff available to ME!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by MARCEL
If you want Texas style head to John Lewis in Charleston

That's where I ate tonight...one of my favorites and five minutes from home.

Texas beef BBQ smoked with mesquite is mighty darn good, but pork is best smoked with hickory or oak. I like both the vinegar style sauce and the mustard style on pork as I think both are good. My preference of the two for pork is vinegar and I also like a tomato based sauce. Pork smoked with mesquite is OK, but mesquite goes best with beef and chicken. I would not throw any of it out, but hey I like chili both with and without beans as well. JMNSHO,YMMV.
Smithfield's will be hard to beat. Generous portion of, cooked to
perfection barbecue, piled high on a steamy soft bun, topped with
delicious cole slaw and finally a liberal splashing of, Texas Pete hot
sauce. Oh, lest I forget, you better add an order of Brunswick Stew
to go with it. The best part is , you can't beat the price!

If you make up to the Wilmington area, there is a Smithfield's on
US highway 17, in Leland, NC, which is just on the west side of the
Cape Fear River, from Wilmington and also on the north side of Wilmington, in the Ogden area, is another location.

I'm working in the oilfield, in the Williston, ND area and right now ,
I'd fight a man for a good Smithfield Barbecue sandwitch, with
an order of Brunswick Stew

Post Oak is excellent for smoking BBQ. I've never tried the Carolina styles of BBQ so couldn't comment on them.
Posted By: barnabus Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21

yea right....burning a pork loin while drunk in ur back yard makes u a pit master huh?

I certainly agree on Smithfield’s BBQ, but their fried chicken is fantastic. It’s not the Talley House or Daniel Boone Inn, but their chicken is great.[/quote]

The Talley house is my local (as in 2 minutes away) 'go to' for good food thats pretty close to home cooked, but no barbecue.
Randy's bar-b-que in Troutman is decent, but they've changed cooks recently, so not sure about now.
Posted By: Fishnnut1 Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
In Greensboro there are 2 that stand out , Stameys and Country BBQ. Stameys has always been my families go to but I have always been partial to Country BBQ. They fine chop the BBQ whereas Stameys is more a combo of chopped and pulled.
Posted By: slumlord Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
I have no idea what Smithfield’s is

Aren’t they the nasty ham conglomerate that employs 45,000 illegal mexicans infected with tuberculosis to stuff all that lunchmeat into 1lb bags?
Posted By: shaman Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
http://www.bridgesbbq.com/

Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby, NC
Posted By: MadMooner Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have no idea what Smithfield’s is

Aren’t they the nasty ham conglomerate that employs 45,000 illegal mexicans infected with tuberculosis to stuff all that lunchmeat into 1lb bags?

That’s the Chinese owned Smithfield hams.

The restaurant is different I guess.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
If you don’t like Smithfield’s, you don’t like NC style BBQ and no it’s not the same company as Slummy mentioned.
Posted By: slumlord Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
They are bigger than Dan Halen International
The aforementioned Skylight Inn and Bum's Restaurant in Ayden, NC are excellent, as is B's Barbeque and Sam Jones' Barbeque in nearby Greenville. Also in Greenville are Moore's and Parker's, both a notch or two down in quality from the others. King's Restaurant in Kinston is very good as well.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
The aforementioned Skylight Inn and Bum's Restaurant in Ayden, NC are excellent, as is B's Barbeque and Sam Jones' Barbeque in nearby Greenville. Also in Greenville are Moore's and Parker's, both a notch or two down in quality from the others. King's Restaurant in Kinston is very good as well.

Got to agree here. Bums is good. I am very fond of Parker’s in Wilson and Greenville. My favorite is Kings in Kinston.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by shaman
http://www.bridgesbbq.com/

Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby, NC

Was always good, but I haven’t eaten there since the 80’s
Posted By: JB in SC Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by Pat85
I do recall enjoying the pig at Maurice’s, in Columbia,S.C., several years ago. I do believe their pig is mustard based.

It is mustard based, and its always good. IMO

Maurice’s was my favorite mustard based, Bessinger’s (his brother) in Charleston is pretty good too. Maurice was a character.
Originally Posted by Fishnnut1
In Greensboro there are 2 that stand out , Stameys and Country BBQ. Stameys has always been my families go to but I have always been partial to Country BBQ. They fine chop the BBQ whereas Stameys is more a combo of chopped and pulled.

When I lived in Gboro Stameys was one of my favorite lunch spots. That and Ghassans.
Marty's in Wilson, NC.
I seldom eat BBQ out, but when I do, Skylight Inn in Ayden is where I go. I do not consider Bum's to be on par with Skylight and Bums, imo, has a distinct "You ain't from around here" attitude. The fat guy who works in the mornings is the worst. Bum is not much better.. Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville is the Grandson of Pete Jones who owns Skylight, so the BBQ is supposedly. identical.
To be direct, the best BBQ in Eastern NC comes off my smoker.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Noble Smoke in Charlotte is the best bbq in either state

Dang, I’ve got to try this place. They are eating their Wheaties if it tops Hendrix.
Posted By: shootem Re: South/North Carolina BBQ - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I seldom eat BBQ out, but when I do, Skylight Inn in Ayden is where I go. I do not consider Bum's to be on par with Skylight and Bums, imo, has a distinct "You ain't from around here" attitude. The fat guy who works in the mornings is the worst. Bum is not much better.. Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville is the Grandson of Pete Jones who owns Skylight, so the BBQ is supposedly. identical.
To be direct, the best BBQ in Eastern NC comes off my smoker.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Now that looks like barbecue !
Just about anything around Lexington, N.C. will be good pig. Hendrix, Richard’s, College, and Gary’s, all in the Salisbury, N.C. area, are good. Speedy’s and Lexington BBQ, both in Lexington, are good. I also like Stanley’ BBQ, in Greensboro, N.C. My personal favorite, of all these mentioned, is Hendrix BBQ, in Salisbury.

+1

BarBQue Center in Lexington is not bad either. Isn't the Lexington BBQ joint known as the Monk or Honeymonk??

Don't forget to start off breakfast with a tenderloin biscuit.

© 24hourcampfire