Home
Posted By: Greatlaker Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

I never gave hot-carry while crossing creeks a second thought until some here raised it as a risk. Now I’m thinking twice

From the Nov 22 Erie Pa Times news website:

Retired Corry police officer dies in 'horrible' hunting accident
Brian WhipkeyPennsylvania Outdoor Columnist

A retired Corry police officer died Saturday in what’s being described by the Pennsylvania Game Commission as a “terrible accident” while he and another man were hunting for black bears in Warren County.

Jason Amory, Pennsylvania Game Commission information and education supervisor, reported that Gary R. Hunt, 64, of Corry, was hunting during the rifle black bear season with his adult nephew when the incident occurred around noon in State Game Lands 197 in Columbus Township.

According to a Game Commission hunting-related shooting incident report, Hunt's nephew was “crossing a creek with the victim behind him when (he) tripped or slipped and the firearm discharged behind him into (Gary Hunt.)”

A hunter was killed Saturday in State Game Lands 197 in Columbus Township, Warren County.
Amory said the preliminary investigation revealed “It was just a horrible accident.” He said the .270 rifle is being tested to see if there was a malfunction.

“But at this time we don’t believe any charges will be filed. It’s just heart-wrenching,” Amory said, noting that Hunt was a retired officer from the Corry Police Department. “He was a good man from everyone’s account.”

Corry Police corporals Jordon Kitchen and Brett Sproveri said Hunt served the community of about 6,500 for more than 25 years. He retired as a lieutenant in February 2020.

“Gary was a great guy. When it comes to police work, he was community-oriented,” Kitchen said Monday morning. “He always wanted others to do well. He was very compassionate and well liked.”

“He was a great co-worker," Sproveri said. "I’ve known him for probably 20 years. He enjoyed being a police officer.”

The two corporals said they are working on how to best honor him when the funeral services are scheduled.
I alway close the bolt on an empty chamber when crossing a fence, a creek, or a wndfall that I can't easily get around.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
When I was guiding deer and elk hunters we had a stead fast rule. Bolt handles up, always. Cant go off by accident and instantly able to put into action when needed.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
where i hunt i'd be unloading and loading every 30 steps.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I alway close the bolt on an empty chamber when crossing a fence, a creek, or a wndfall that I can't easily get around.

This right here is what's taught in every hunter safety class in Michigan. Actually, empty chamber, open action. Pretty rudimentary stuff. Very doubtful you'd ever be shooting at game when crossing these obstacles. Especially important when hunting with someone.
This will be good.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Three cheers for morons.

LOL
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
When I was guiding deer and elk hunters we had a stead fast rule. Bolt handles up, always. Cant go off by accident and instantly able to put into action when needed.

That’s a great bullschit story.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I’m waiting for:

And now...wisdom from Wabigoon

All the pheasants ever bred, won’t repay for one man dedd
Originally Posted by deflave
Three cheers for morons.

LOL

+ 1
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m waiting for:

And now...wisdom from Wabigoon

All the pheasants ever bred, won’t repay for one man dedd

I’m waiting for the “we don’t like Lynn Wood any more” thread.

LOL
Another dang Remington trigger.
That's why my turkey guns are break actions. Silent unload and reload when making the move.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by rem141r

Aint that the truth.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Although having an empty chamber when making moves such as this is a good idea the resulting death is due to poor muzzle control.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by rem141r

Open country huh?
Posted By: goalie Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

There's a reason they lost the lawsuit.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Although having an empty chamber when making moves such as this is a good idea the resulting death is due to poor muzzle control.

My thoughts as well
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I open the breech when crossing fences, climbing over trees, and similar obstacles. In the case of creeks, if it is just a little stream I can simply step over I wouldn't bother, but a rocky or muddy stream where I might lose my footing or want both hands free then again I'll open the breech. It takes but a moment.

Muzzle discipline, mentioned above, is also part of it, but it can be hard to maintain if you go base over apex.
Never have a hot chamber. It's too dangerous.

Don't put a chain in my saw either.
But a finger on a chain once, never again!
I hate cutting wood now.
It's just soooooo slow.😭
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
"Better safe, than sorry."
FFS

SMARTEST ADVISE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THE FIRE!

I had a 700 oops years ago (safety release and pew)... been up bolt ever since.
Empty when crossing water and climbing fences.

If someone is with you have them hold it over fences,by yourself lay it on the ground.

Bad thing for both lives ruined.
Creeks, fences and rock scree.Cold chamber
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Bolt up?
Doesn't the bolt then fall back by either gravity if walking around slung or by brush if you're carrying it level? You're then walking around with an open action and allowing all kinds of dirt and grime into the action and magazine, right?

I guess I am not understanding what is meant by "bolt up".
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Rule #3...

...They always break rule #3
Posted By: kingston Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Bolt up?
Doesn't the bolt then fall back by either gravity if walking around slung or by brush if you're carrying it level? You're then walking around with an open action and allowing all kinds of dirt and grime into the action and magazine, right?

Have you never heard of a rubber band or bungee cord and saran wrap... You probably don't put bright pink electrical tape on your muzzle either.
A Mauser safety blocks the firing pin. Any other style is just "dial a prayer"!
Originally Posted by kingston

Bolt up?

Have you never heard of a rubber band or bungee cord and saran wrap... You probably don't put bright pink electrical tape on your muzzle either.

I have heard of those contraptions.....however I use rubbers on my big bore in lieu of pink muzzle tape.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

Bolt up?

I have heard of those contraptions.....however I use rubbers on my big bore in lieu of pink muzzle tape.

Them ones you get in the restroom at them floozie houses?
Crossing the creek?

Geno does that schit upside down.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Bolt up?

Them ones you get in the restroom at them floozie houses?

Maybe...
Or a sammich baggie and one of those rubber band thingies Kingston mentioned. Just call me 'Gyver.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Crossing the creek?

Dude,

wait until you see the pics!

Went to get my crap out of the car at the tow yard today. Holy Schmoly! And all I have is some bruising????
Crossing the creek?

Dude,

Went to get my crap out of the car at the tow yard today. Holy Schmoly! And all I have is some bruising????

How long are you gonna be pic teasing us?
Crossing the creek?

Dude,

He’d gonna drag this out like the “left nut” threads.

😂😂😂

Bolt up?

Speaking of pink tape, when I was checking in 2 of the does that I shot last week a 20-something man asked me about the 3 pieces of pink duct tape around the barrel of the rifle that I was showing another guy. I told him and then when he seemed confused, I showed him. He said that it looked like a good idea and would have prevented the plugged barrel kaboom that his cousin had when they were goose hunting. Having had a plugged barrel kaboom about 50 years ago, I wish that someone has told me about the benefits of putting tape over the muzzle when you're afield.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Crossing the creek?

Dude,

He left a nut in the creek?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

IT begs the question; Why not just get rid of that POS 700?

His advice is bullschit.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

His advice is bullschit.

I'd have to agree.

If that "adult nephew" had his safety on and knew how to control his muzzle, his Uncle would still be alive. The nephew is a fuggin moron.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Not only be aware of your muzzle, don’t be aloof to other muzzles

I’d have yelled HEY YOU DUMB MOTHRFCKER first time I got swept
I do get a laugh out of all these deer hunters that walk around hot chamber with their thumb on the safety. LOL

Like they’re in Fallejuah or some schit.
Not only be aware of your muzzle, don’t be aloof to other muzzles

I’d have yelled HEY YOU DUMB MOTHRFCKER first time I got swept

That might make me flinch. Then, BOOOM!!

Sorry slumload…let me get your face for you. Lol
Crossing the creek?

TFF
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I've had two accidental discharges in my lifetime. One was Remington's fault (I sold that rifle before firing it again) and one was my fault. Both times the rifles were pointed in a safe direction. But if crossing something with risky footing, I unload the chamber.

An Appy (apprentice professionsl hunter) I knew in Zimbabwe had his arm blown off at the elbow by a $20,000 .500 Nitro Express double rifle. It turns out that most such rifles will fire if you drop them on their butt with rounds in the chamber. I don't know about American shotguns.
Man sheeit

I was zipping through hardwoods late yesterday one hand on the thumb throttle

Other hand holding a hot 6.5 norma, rifle up, buttstock on the fuel tank

Never know when crazy drunk love buck will just be standing 5 yards inside the tree line
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

Had one of those happen this year. A friend was putting the stock on an antelope buck. He was the shooter so grandson and I to the rear. Friend raised the rifle and took the safety off his 700 ADL and it discharged at his feet. Not being a great fan of the trigger on 700's, it could have been a dirt in the trigger mechanism as it had never been cleaned in 40 years.

And for those questioning bolt up, I have never owned a gun that the bolt would close on its own. Having in excess of 50 clients, never had an incident.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

His advice is bullschit.

I'd have to agree.

If that "adult nephew" had his safety on and knew how to control his muzzle, his Uncle would still be alive. The nephew is a fuggin moron.

Spot on.

But everybody will coddle the nephew as they don't want him to spend the rest of his thinking he killed his Uncle.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Schiett. So the gun had no safety on.
Was the nephew in their will or was he banging his aunty?
I wedge a piece of corn between the trigger guard and trigger and I ain’t dead yet.
Y'all carry and hunt any way you want...

I am either cold chamber... or bolt up hot.
Was the safety on or off?

When I carry bolt up I wedge a piece or corn between the bolt handle and the stock so it can’t fall down.

I know stuff.
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I wedge a piece of corn between the trigger guard and trigger and I ain’t dead yet.

I heard sweet corn works best.

When I carry bolt up I wedge a piece or corn between the bolt handle and the stock so it can’t fall down.

I know stuff.

My bolts are all positive and firm, but I guess I could see that if they were "loose".
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Was the safety on or off?

I almost never use a safety on anything any more... I guess I would if I was in a duck blind with other people.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

I know stuff.

My bolts are all positive and firm, but I guess I could see that if they were "loose".

This was also the common practice when I hunted in Africa. Muzzle control and bolt up on a live chamber.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

His advice is bullschit.

I am not a remington guy. Think I have only ever owned 1 remington rifle that I shot. But I thought the deficiency in the rifle was that the rifle could fire WHEN YOU DROPPED THE BOLT?

If that is the case, repeated opening and closing of the bolt on a chambered round might not be the best plan here.

As I said, not a remington guy and could easily be wrong here.
Posted By: Switch Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by jorgeI

How do you keep the bolt closed with it up? Must send losts of time looking for dropped cartridges.Might work in a stand!
Posted By: skeen Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I always keep my safety on, don't point my muzzle at people, and keep my finger off the trigger whether I'm crossing a creek or not. wink
Originally Posted by Longbob

I know stuff.

This was also the common practice when I hunted in Africa. Muzzle control and bolt up on a live chamber.

That is the dumbest schit I have read in my life.

I know stuff.

I guess you know more than the PHs in Africa when hunting dangerous game. It was very common and worked well.
when I did mostly still hunting, I always carried a hot chamber. It did not take but a moment to open the action if I had to cross a creek or a fence. With me mostly stand hunting now, I walk to the stand with an empty chamber, and don't go hot until seated and ready.
What the hell do you all mean by bolt up? Doesn't the bolt then fall back to the rear, leaving the action open and if you have a live round in there, doesn't it go flying out?
What the hell do you all mean by bolt up? Doesn't the bolt then fall back to the rear, leaving the action open and if you have a live round in there, doesn't it go flying out?

There is a midway point that works on Mauser, M70s, and Ruger (maybe some others) that will keep it the round in the chamber and not be fully cocked until you close the bolt all the way down. Bolt up doesn't mean all the way up. This dates way back in Africa with many of the hunters when hunting dangerous game.

I guess you know more than the PHs in Africa when hunting dangerous game. It was very common and worked well.

No it did not work well.

You were instructed by a fugking moron.

No it did not work well.

It predates you and you are basically clueless in this practice.

There is a midway point that works on Mauser, M70s, and Ruger (maybe some others) that will keep it the round in the chamber and not be fully cocked until you close the bolt all the way down. Bolt up doesn't mean all the way up. This dates way back in Africa with many of the hunters when hunting dangerous game.

That might work if you hold the rifle in your hands for a brief period of time. No fugking way that works when slinging, changing, hands or throwing over your shoulder all day.

No it did not work well.

It predates you and you are basically clueless in this practice.

Bloodletting predates me as well.

Whaddya fellas do when your upland bird hunting?
Originally Posted by skeen

They all carry doubles and leave the action open…..

That might work if you hold the rifle in your hands for a brief period of time. No fugking way that works when slinging, changing, hands or throwing over your shoulder all day.

I never said anything about slinging, changing hands, or throwing it over my shoulder all day with the bolt up on a live round. This is only done when stalking the dangerous game. Get a clue.

Fugk your mom.

LOL

I never said anything about slinging, changing hands, or throwing it over my shoulder all day with the bolt up on a live round. This is only done when stalking the dangerous game. Get a clue.

OK I’ll get a clue.

Because the safety on a Mauser 98 makes zero sense when compared to a bolt left in the half closed/half open position as one approaches the final stages of a stalk.

LOL

The fugking schit people come up with never ceases to amaze.

Fugk your mom.

LOL

Bro, my mom is dead. It was tragic. A hunting accident. If only she'd listened to her PH...

Doves here mostly... some geese. 99% with a Browning Maxus.

Cold chamber to the blind or stand... then hot with constant muzzle control. Almost never use a safety.

I don't usually hunt in groups, but if Dick Cheney invited me I probably would oblige him...

I know stuff.

Dummy. Evahbody know ya gotta use a Lima bean.

Sheesh.
Hold into the vegetables.

Fugk your mom.

LOL

Bro, my mom is dead. It was tragic. A hunting accident. If only she'd listened to her PH...

I was just trying to inject a little Thanksgiving humor.

No disrespect.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

Fugk your mom.

LOL

No schidt?
Mine too!
Small world!
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I always carry my rifle unloaded with the bolt removed and no ammo in the magazine.I also tape the muzzle and my rifle scope.One can never be too safe!!!
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position. I have hunted Africa and didn`t see that but I don't plan to go again so I guess it is a moot point.

Good luck keeping that muzzle control when falling on your ass. There isn`t a damn person here who hasn't flagged someone by accident, even if unknowingly. I won't believe otherwise. Shame on us all for that. It is inexcusable but it is naive to think you always have total control of that muzzle, in any situation.

Between this and some other folk`s thoughts concerning gun handling and responsibility on other threads I can see why Deflave and Big Stick think so highly of Texans...
Originally Posted by Sauer200

Fugk your mom.

LOL

No schidt?
Mine too!
Small world!

So Flave fuqked both your moms to death?
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position. I have hunted Africa and didn`t see that but I don't plan to go again so I guess it is a moot point.

Good luck keeping that muzzle control when falling on your ass. There isn`t a damn person here who hasn't flagged someone by accident, even if unknowingly. I won't believe otherwise. Shame on us all for that. It is inexcusable but it is naive to think you always have total control of that muzzle, in any situation.

Between this and some other folk`s thoughts concerning gun handling and responsibility on other threads I can see why Deflave and Big Stick think so highly of Texans...

I never saw anyone walking around randomly with a bolt up procedure. It was only when on the final stalk with dangerous game. There were never any round in the chamber when the rifles were being carried slung or in the trucks (fully unloaded).

Muzzle control is paramount so I don't get your comment about falling on your ass and what I observed. You can fall at any time even on a final stalk so muzzle control doesn't end with that either.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

Fugk your mom.

LOL

Pictures of Skeen’s mom required.

LOL

🦫
Posted By: irfubar Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I had a hunting buddy that thought the bolt up position was safe, then one day after climbing to the top of the mountain I looked at his gun and somehow the bolt got pushed down! his gun was hot and off safe, he had no clue. I told him don't ever do that stupid schit again!!!
I am surprised nobody has suggested decocking on a live round.... an absolutely moronic move that some think is safe
As usual Flave is correct.... again
I think next time I’m in the final stages of a stalk I’ll spend two minutes precariously positioning the bolt in a neutral position instead of just going hot and using the GD safety.

I swear the stupidity on exhibit these days is flat fugking astounding.
Originally Posted by irfubar
I had a hunting buddy that thought the bolt up position was safe, then one day after climbing to the top of the mountain I looked at his gun and somehow the bolt got pushed down! his gun was hot and off safe, he had no clue. I told him don't ever do that stupid schit again!!!
I am surprised nobody has suggested decocking on a live round.... an absolutely moronic move that some think is safe

Flave rules.
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position.

I own 17+ Remington 700s and 721s... I lift my bolt about 1/2" (end of bolt knob) when I am in the field hunting with a hot chamber. My index finger is under the outer edge of the bolt knob often. Lug tension is excellent on all of my rifles... this has never been a problem.

I honestly have no idea how a bolt lifted 7/8 of the way would not be a huge problem, but I am not judging... just don't understand.

If I am on the move and am inclined to sling my rifle for a long walk... I either go cold chamber or close the bolt and put the safety on.

If I am going into a tree stand it is cold EVERY TIME up and down... that would be the same in a nasty blow down that is a PITA to cross.

I also typically hunt alone... I have found large groups of people arguing about stupid chit... does alert game.

I swear some of you guys would argue about how to put on a sock.

Every one of my bolt rifles, the bolt would fall open and chambered cartridge would hit the ground.

It is just so much easier to close the bolt on an empty chamber.

But, of course, it is not then obvious to others that the rifle is safed.
FYI... I have a dozen or so triggers from 805... his stuff is great and has NEVER been a contributing factor to any Remington 700 oops.

I never saw anyone walking around randomly with a bolt up procedure. It was only when on the final stalk with dangerous game. There were never any round in the chamber when the rifles were being carried slung or in the trucks (fully unloaded).

Muzzle control is paramount so I don't get your comment about falling on your ass and what I observed. You can fall at any time even on a final stalk so muzzle control doesn't end with that either.

It wasn't you that I was referring to when I responded about people walking around all day with the bolt "up". A couple of other posters had mentioned doing that.

My comment about falling on your ass wasn't meant for just a final stalk. I am aware a person can fall at any time. I have easily 20-30 times so far this season and not once was during a stalk. It was a generalized comment to everyone on this thread---keeping muzzle control is not something I believe people can always control, and most especially when slipping and falling.
Dang!

All these replies and no one has given the obligatory

“Just keep your booger hook off the bang switch”….

Y’all are slipping!!
I always left my rifle at home. When I found game I’d go back & get it

Haven’t killed anybody yet, but that dang ironbender is prodding me

Learned about the error of decocking at a young age. I bumped the butt on a Wea MKV, the firing pin bounced up and discharged. Fortunately harmlessly into the air, as I was aware of muzzle control.
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position.

I own 17+ Remington 700s and 721s... I lift my bolt about 1/2" (end of bolt knob) when I am in the field hunting with a hot chamber. My index finger is under the outer edge of the bolt knob often. Lug tension is excellent on all of my rifles... this has never been a problem.

I honestly have no idea how a bolt lifted 7/8 of the way would not be a huge problem, but I am not judging... just don't understand.

If I am on the move and am inclined to sling my rifle for a long walk... I either go cold chamber or close the bolt and put the safety on.

If I am going into a tree stand it is cold EVERY TIME up and down... that would be the same in a nasty blow down that is a PITA to cross.

I also typically hunt alone... I have found large groups of people arguing about stupid chit... does alert game.

Left foot first? Or right?

I had a PH in Africa recommend doing that....I refused. I was just after plains game but I didn't get killed by a buffalo (I think). Final destination stuff.

It wasn't you that I was referring to when I responded about people walking around all day with the bolt "up". A couple of other posters had mentioned doing that.

My comment about falling on your ass wasn't meant for just a final stalk. I am aware a person can fall at any time. I have easily 20-30 times so far this season and not once was during a stalk. It was a generalized comment to everyone on this thread---keeping muzzle control is not something I believe people can always control, and most especially when slipping and falling.

No worries. I misunderstood and thought it was directed at me since I list I am from Texas. I agree it is insanely dangerous to carry a live round bolt up when roaming around, slung, or any other scenario like that.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I've owned well over 100 Remington 700 series rifles and never had a trigger problem. Still have dozens of them, still haven't had a trigger problem. I must have been born under a lucky star, as I've never seen or personally know anyone who has had a 700 series trigger problem. The only trigger problem that I've ever had was on a used Krag that someone had done a trigger job on and filed the sear just a little too much.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=kingston][quote=Valsdad][quote=Jim_Conrad]Crossing the creek?

Just the left one.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Cocked and Locked and a plastic bag to keep out creek water.
I wonder what the real story is.
Not so much anymore. But in my younger years, I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees crawling through the buck brush. After a couple times when I looked down and found the brush had knocked the safety off on my Win 70. I made the habit of carrying cold, whether in my hands or in the saddle scabbard.

There is simply no way an unlocked bolt would have stayed closed in that environment.

Since I bought the Ruger #1, some twenty years ago. I pull ammo out of my pocket and load the rifle when game is sighted.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I always left my rifle at home. When I found game I’d go back & get it

Haven’t killed anybody yet, but that dang ironbender is prodding me

I’m right here buddy!

Good to see you.
must be some retarded deer for them to wait for a hunter to unzip the noisy velcro and retrieve that one round in the top orvis pocket and still graze while you rack it into the chamber
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7

His advice is bullschit.

I'd have to agree.

Spot on.

But everybody will coddle the nephew as they don't want him to spend the rest of his thinking he killed his Uncle.

Agree , it WAS his fault anyway you slice it or dice it .

I'm lucky to be alive after hunting with my younger brother quite a lot in my youth , he'd have a rifle pointed in a dangerous direction more often than not . One of the reasons I hunt alone 99% of the time .

Rest in peace Gary Hunt ..

Horrible way to die and he had just retired .
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
When ever I run in to a situation like this I just go home and take a poll on the internet to decide what I should do. Then go back the next day.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Just the left one.

Not sure about any nuts, but the left side rearview mirror is likely down in that creek.

It's not on the car anymore!
Originally Posted by Raeford

Just the left one.

Not sure about any nuts, but the left side rearview mirror is likely down in that creek.

It's not on the car anymore!

Somebody should tell them California fishies that certain chemicals in that mirror have been known to the State of California to cause cancer and other reproductive harm.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

My thoughts as well

It's a bit hard to have proper muzzle control when you're falling with your rifle slung. Lol
Geno gonna get a visit from DEC or whatever CA’s agency version is!

Coming to a stream in Cali soon

[Linked Image from trendly.fr]

Bolt up?

Yup. All bolt up means is you're losing that cartridge when the bolt slides open.
must be some retarded deer for them to wait for a hunter to unzip the noisy velcro and retrieve that one round in the top orvis pocket and still graze while you rack it into the chamber

It can be done. RAPID fire Ruger#1 with Charlie Chong.

5 minute mark. Don’t blink, you’ll miss it. Luckily it has slow motion replay.
To keep this on topic,

My carry piece was hot when I got in that crash. Should I be carrying on an empty chamber?
To keep this on topic,

My carry piece was hot when I got in that crash. Should I be carrying on an empty chamber?

Depends on the PH of the water.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
To keep this on topic,

I approve this message.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's the way we grow them around here.

See deer, or elk.
Dismount pony.
Tie said horse to nearby tree.
Pull rifle from saddle scabbard.
Find dead rest.
Load rifle.
Place 12X scope on vitals.
Press trigger.
Empty rifle chamber.
Place rifle back into scabbard.
Untie horse.
Mount horse.
Spend next hour trying to find a path around the canyon between you and dead critter.
Posted By: goalie Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21

🤣
Originally Posted by goalie

🤣

LOL. Yep. That’s pretty damned funny ! 🤠
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I have never had a firearm that fires itself with the safety on. All mine you have to have the safety off and pull the trigger to fire them. And mine never get pointed at anything I am unwilling to shoot.
When I am hunting my gun is loaded.
Some deep thinkers on here.
Posted By: callnum Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/23/21
I think next time I’m in the final stages of a stalk I’ll spend two minutes precariously positioning the bolt in a neutral position instead of just going hot and using the GD safety.

Final stages of stalking Iguanas with an air rifle? Jimmy is a moron.

Floridians are one notch below Texans..TFF
since i will be in the process of jump shooting a wood duck yes i will be in the creek and the shotgun will be loaded
Originally Posted by callnum

If Bubba Wallace and Al Sharpton play the "Race Card as "Race Baiters"...

What "Card" do you play CumBoy?

The "Moron Card"?
Guns go bang with the safety off and your finger on da trigger.
99.999% of da time...
And having your muzzle pointed at someone while hunting under any circumstance aint very cool either....
Musta been one hellava slip, trip, and fall to spin around 180 and gak the dude....

NOPE... I ain't going there.
I can get a week out of a pair of socks

And I still don’t smell like gun show vendors
To keep this on topic,

You don't seem like a Hi Point kinda fella... so hot is good.
To keep this on topic,

No, because you weren't crossing the creek, just parking in it.
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
since i will be in the process of jump shooting a wood duck yes i will be in the creek and the shotgun will be loaded

How high does one have to jump to shoot them woodies?
To keep this on topic,

No, because you weren't crossing the creek, just parking in it.

Aha,

I will keep in mind for future reference.

Best foods or Dukes?
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Fugk your mom.

LOL

LOL

🦫

Here's our last home movie of Mom, taken just before the tragic "hot carry" creek crossing incident. cry laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Let’s see some pics of those Crazies you didn’t hunt.

LOL

If Bubba Wallace and Al Sharpton play the "Race Card as "Race Baiters"...

What "Card" do you play CumBoy?

The "Moron Card"?

Calls4cum tried posting a picture once.

It ended up being a broken link to photobucket.

LOL

Fugk your mom.

LOL

LOL

🦫

Here's our last home movie of Mom, taken just before the tragic "hot carry" creek crossing incident. cry laugh

She could hot carry my load.

Probably still.

Fugk your mom.

LOL

LOL

🦫

She could hot carry my load.

Probably still.

She doesn't have that kind of time left to wait for the pills to kick in.

Best foods or Dukes?

SOB... that made me laugh.
Aint she dedd?
Aint she dedd?

she weren't in that pic.

and corn row braids were hot back then. even on white gals.
I grew up hunting in all situations with a round in the chamber, we did a lot of small game hunting and it going hot just carried over to big game. Never gave it a thought till I was on this forum, now raising 3 kids that hunt we always go cold chamber till we’re on stand or an animal presents itself. When alone I have a round in.
I knew the man that died in the article the OP put up. Great guy, he was in the service and a cop for decades. Great family man and a God fearing believer. I actually don’t know the identity of the man who shot him, but I’m sure I know them. The whole thing is a nightmare, and a cautionary tale to all of us who are firearm enthusiasts.

MM

Okay MtnBoomer

Where's he been anyway?

Okay MtnBoomer

Where's he been anyway?

Disappeared with Bob Brown…

Seriously tho, I never heard or even thought of carrying "cold" growing up here in Pa. When we head into the woods from the truck it's load up with the safety on (shotgun or rifle), never did it any other way.

ALWAYS have muzzle pointed in a safe direction, ALWAYS no exceptions.

Okay MtnBoomer

Where's he been anyway?

Disappeared with Bob Brown…

Compelling
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/24/21
Funny

Since I started back hunting, the sock puppet activity has petered out

Almost like

Nahhh...couldnt be
Funny

Almost like

Nahhh...couldnt be

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/24/21
Funny

Almost like

Nahhh...couldnt be

Who was kawi then dude?

aand why you chased him off?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/24/21
Will the real Bob Brown please stand up....🧐

🦫
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/24/21

Fugk your mom.

LOL

LOL

🦫

The coincidences are uncanny, she looks just like my mom.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Hot-carry crossing creeks - 11/24/21

I know stuff.

Id require that and more if i were guiding some of the yahoos they do.

Im talking hunitng, not guiding or guided.
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

There's a reason they lost the lawsuit.

If you say so

Yup. If you're scared cause of what the liberals told you or because you [bleep] up and bought a 700, feel free to hunt cold chamber. But with an open bolt so the round can fall out? That's moron carry right there.
© 24hourcampfire