Home
Waiting for daylight.
This is my Thanksgiving sitting in the deer blind going to hunt till dark.

Wish me luck, with the dearth of daytime deer activity I am hopeful an adult deer walks ny.

If it’s brown it’s down😉!
Good Luck!!
Best of luck and I am envious. This is my 1st Thanksgiving not deer hunting in over 20 years, the crud has a good hold on me this week.
Good luck, Mark!

I'm in a tree stand up here. No rain, but the wind is threatening to pick up and it seems like daylight is forever in coming.
Good luck to you Scott!
I’ve been a treestand guy for decades.
This box blind stuff is different. It’s taking some getting used to. Today it’s a blessing. I get to stay dry. Mostly it’s the equipment staying dry that’s the plus. That and my glasses stay clear and unspotted
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Best of luck and I am envious. This is my 1st Thanksgiving not deer hunting in over 20 years, the crud has a good hold on me this week.

Same here
Good luck guys was out the last 2 afternoon s no deer seen taking today off with the wife, hope to at least fill a doe this last few days.
Originally Posted by RAS

Same here

I've already coughed up one lung and use a bath towel to catch all the snot. I bet a steroid shot would really speed it up.
Obviously the Michigan "kill em all" programs are working.

I hope to get out for another day, but not much to get enthused about.

Maybe the Dec hunts will be of more interest. Like maybe some snow and
fewer baiters.

Good luck to all setting out there.
Good luck!
Great time of the year to hunt. We hunted Idaho Whitetails for quite a few years this time of the year. We did well. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
Keep a clear eye!!! Good hunting!!!

Light rain here this morning, sitting on the porch watching does and a horny 2 year old 8 pt. like watching a 14 tear old kid at a school dance. Good Luck----- Rio7
There is actually a chance of rain here later today. Believe it when I see it. Been three months since we had any rain.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Good luck, Mark!

I'm in a tree stand up here. No rain, but the wind is threatening to pick up and it seems like daylight is forever in coming.

How cold?
Where about is this rain, please?

He will come through between 10 and 2 if the area is hunted much, or at last light crossing country between where does feed and bed looking for a group with an estrous doe.

Even the old does have estrous cycles.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Waiting for daylight.
This is my Thanksgiving sitting in the deer blind going to hunt till dark.

Wish me luck, with the dearth of daytime deer activity I am hopeful an adult deer walks ny.

If it’s brown it’s down😉!

Good luck!

Good luck. Id see if a dose of Ivermectin would knock a chest cold or flu.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Good luck, Mark!

How cold?

Rather warm this morning, Jag. Upper 30's. Yesterday morning was in the low 20's and lakes were starting to freeze over.

Temp feels to be dropping now along with an increasing cold breeze.
What a great place to spend the morning.
Good luck!!!!
It’s 44* F here in Southern Michigan. Almost warmer than I would like.
No rain here, but a slow morning. Not even a squirrel so far.
I think the Hmong's that moved in about a half a mile away have just about wiped out anything thats edible.
Good luck.
Rain here.
No groundblind.
Sitting in jeep waiting for it to ease up.
Chocolate Cliff bar and a Dew Kickstart to keep me warm LOL
Slow rolled the thicket, saw fresh rubs from the road so something w headgear around.
Good luck! Maybe Thanksgiving Day hunters will move them around for you. Family down the road historically has a "drive" after dinner that gets the deer moving.
Good luck, maybe Ol' Big get restless and move around.
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Good luck! Maybe Thanksgiving Day hunters will move them around for you. Family down the road historically has a "drive" after dinner that gets the deer moving.

Most here don't like a Whitmer/Biden voter and I know for a fact the OP is especially opposed to it.

Good Luck Fellers.
Envious up here, sitting at work, -24*c outside.

I'd bet they're moving !
Was planning on spending Thanksgiving morning in the blind from zero dark thirty until about 11 A.m. but some other stuff came up. As of 9:45 A.M. the temp is up to 45 degrees with just a light breeze. Got that dark grey November cloud cover that I actually like this time of year..... It reminds me of good times like deer season. Would have been a nice day to spend a few hours waiting for my appointment with a whitetail. Just looking for venison now, got a doe permit so almost anything is fair game except fawns. Let a fawn walk by two years ago and said "come back next year" but it was a no-show.
Good luck, set for 3 hours this morning nothing but have two in freezer will be out all day Friday. Raining here and 50 deg. and falling. Got to go to 1hr to eat. Just a meat hunter these days.
Just watched a Coopers hawk take a robin out of the air not 20 yds from the blind.
It was a spectacular feather explosion!
No deers yet.
Just watched a Coopers hawk take a robin out of the air not 20 yds from the blind.
No deers yet.

Cool!! That there alone is worth all of deer season.
Yes it was cool. There were songbirds fleeing every which direction as the hawk came toward me and the robin zigged when it should have zagged.

There’s 7 tom turkeys parading through the woods now.
No deers yet.

Bet that hawk would make a more impressive explosion if he were legal to take.

Worthless bastard!
I’m down with a bad cold and tooth ache to boot. No hunting for me for a few days.

If I was in my deer stand, the one with the gaming chair in it. I’d be kicked back sleeping with the rain hitting the roof and wouldn’t give a rats a…ss. But feet to bad to get out. Besides, it’s my dogs birthday.
Yes it was cool. There were songbirds fleeing every which direction as the hawk came toward me and the robin zigged when it should have zagged.

I'd flame one and call it Thanksgiving.

It's the 400th Thanksgiving Anniversary. Nothing more American than flaming an animal to feed the family.

Lol, Those birds know when something is going down!

When I was a kid every once in awhile I'd find a mouse or a sparrow stuck on a thorn tree by our house and always wondered how the hell that happened, fast forward a bunch of years and one day my dad was watching his birds and all of the sudden all the birds took off, some running into one another, he thought what the hell. a few seconds later a Butcher Bird (aka Northern Shrike) landed near the bird feeder and scoped it out for awhile.

That bird stalked my dads feeders for several years, dad really enjoyed watching him do his stuff. Me, I never saw it but did finally figure out how those animals got stuck in the thorn tree.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lol, Those birds know when something is going down!

When I was a kid every once in awhile I'd find a mouse or a sparrow stuck on a thorn tree by our house and always wondered how the hell that happened, fast forward a bunch of years and one day my dad was watching his birds and all of the sudden all the birds took off, some running into one another, he thought what the hell. a few seconds later a Butcher Bird (aka Northern Shrike) landed near the bird feeder and scoped it out for awhile.

That bird stalked my dads feeders for several years, dad really enjoyed watching him do his stuff. Me, I never saw it but did finally figure out how those animals got stuck in the thorn tree.

I haven't noticed it in the last couple of years, but we used to have a Northern Shrike visit our backyard in the wintertime. He'd perch well up in a tree and watch our bird feeder. I never saw him make a move towards a bird, unfortunately.
Anya you wackers, shot something yet ?
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Not me. I came in around 11. Made a store run for momma, ate a couple of eggs and toast, then came out in this nasty weather to skin and cut up my buck.

Not me. I came in around 11. Made a store run for momma, ate a couple of eggs and toast, then came out in this nasty weather to skin and cut up my buck.

I'm not even sure if I'll go out in the morning. Very little activity on my trail cameras lately, which is pretty typical of this time of season.

Tentatively planning to go out and freeze my ass off on my boat Saturday morning on Little Traverse Bay, (Lake Michigan). Supposed to be calm and we're hoping to locate some jumbo perch on the sonar and spot-lock over them and bring home some meals.
Nice, good luck Scott !
I saw a buck fawn and 6 tom turkeys who had foraged North about 200 yards East of me earlier and came back South to me around 4:00pm.
Oh yeah, squirrels 🐿. Bunches of them.
I think a trip back here for squirrel is in the cards.
Theres just something soothing about being in a nice comfortable blind with a soft rain falling on the roof.
Theres just something soothing about being in a nice comfortable blind with a soft rain falling on the roof.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
What a great place to spend the morning.
Good luck!!!!

Truth. Wish i was there.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
No deers yet.

Bet that hawk would make a more impressive explosion if he were legal to take.

Worthless bastard!

This. The antis knew what they were doing to game bird populations when they put them on the no kill list, just as when they did so with woofs.

I'd flame one and call it Thanksgiving.

It's the 400th Thanksgiving Anniversary. Nothing more American than flaming an animal to feed the family.

And, they taste like chicken.

15 white wings near the last day of dove season.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A few wood duck drakes and squirrels. The squirrels do well boiled along with the duck and put into the Thanksgiving duck and corn bread and dressing mix along with fine chopped green onions and their stems before being plopped into the oven.
At 72 its getting danged hard to pick out the drakes when the woody's flush on the creek and one shot early this week dropped a hen and a drake but i can still say it's a rare day to kill a hen.

I missed one shot on taking these and it was on a cat squirrel hauling ass down Piney Creek. Pinoak fed duck. Hard to beat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Just a quick alternative hunt to blind hunting.

I spent turkey day chasing the Lenny deer, unsuccessfully. Close to a 12 mile chase and I had a shot at a calf at 289 yards. It was 17 degree temps and a skiff or skift of snow made tracking pretty easy until noon when it all melted.
The coyotes were howling like crazy about shooting light, and upon a glance in their direction I spotted 3 head of elk at 1000 yardsish. Of course the wind was all wrong, and I was already thinking I was several miles too far, but seeing huntable elk starts the chase.

I tried a hook to get in front of them and maybe get the drop on them. They were not having that. Over ridge, through gully, across fences we went. I suspected they were leaving me behind, when I actually gained on them.
I stopped on a ridge to enjoy the day and they popped out of the canyon across. Two spikes, an unknown and a calf. Unknown could have been another spike or possibly a cow. I have two cow tags, no spike tag.

I ranged instead of fired, I estimated farther than they were. I whistled and the calf turned broadside at 289. It would have been a long long haul back. I kept tracking and caught them again in the trees. But I was out of snow and the tracking was taking more focus. They busted the trees and headed north across a large valley. They won. I enjoyed myself but I was now many miles in and several miles to a road.

I made it back well after dark, quite exhausted and extra thirsty.
The survey maker along the state section, gave me my locale partway back.

I don’t think there was a more lonely road on turkey day afternoon.
If anyone has been on Dunn ridge they know the area. They also can attest that a skift of snow makes the road impassible and the terrain gives the breaks it’s name.
© 24hourcampfire