Home
Posted By: Teal Wood tools - 11/27/21
My GF likes to do wood projects. Mostly pyrography but I got her a Lichtenburg machine last year for Christmas.

This year I'm thinking a router and routing table but have no idea what's a good brand?

Bosch?

Any ideas? Brand and size?

Stuff she's done in the past. Thinking a router would help make the scrap wood nicer...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Practice/1st run on the Lichtenburg (those unaware - current follows the grain and burns fractal type shapes in the wood)

Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
She is talented, nice pieces.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
A nice fine tooth back saw for dovetail joints and such would be a great idea. Good ones are not cheap and you won't find them at your corner big box store.

That would put her on the path to making nice little wooden boxes to decorate with her pyrogroaphy..

As to your router question... The big money goes for quality bits. The machine is just a motor with a chuck and handles....
Posted By: Teal Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
OMOTS- good idea.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Router and table together would be great!

Ten best rounters link:
https://best.offers.com/best-wood-r...K_sq49AIVXhitBh0TAwCeEAAYASAAEgKcc_D_BwE

I have several Makita power tools and they have lasted a long time. This company would get my business.

one makita:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7D3V4S?tag=offersamzn-20&ascsubtag=03Eoz2y2gQ7Z7oKmjM5OIlp

cordless makita:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074BYS49M?tag=offersamzn-20&ascsubtag=00qf72lzmwgMH1fiwxTT8VG

==================

What other tools depends on what she is trying to accomplish. The sky is the limit. At some point a table saw and drill press may be in her future.

I agree some support handtools like a dovetail saw, maybe a backsaw with a good miter box. A carving chisel set. The list goes on forever...... Here is a link for Woodcrafters handtools for some ideas:

https://www.woodcraft.com/categorie...&utm_medium=epc&utm_campaign=epc

Have fun!
Posted By: deflave Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by Teal
My GF likes to do wood projects. Mostly pyrography but I got her a Lichtenburg machine last year for Christmas.

I had two read that twice.

Apologies and nice work.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
We have a router table from Rockler, I mounter it on hinges.

I forget the brand of router, it's yellow.
Posted By: HalH Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Lee valley tool catalog are nice to look at.
Look up rose wood lathe. The make kits for roes lathes now.

Hal
Posted By: 603Country Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
I have one Milwaukee router, three from Bosch, one Porter-Cable, and one Makita. I don’t have a yellow one (Dewalt), but they make great routers. For use in a router table, get one that can be adjusted from above the table for depth of cut. As for the router table itself, I made mine, but Bosch used to offer a really good one. I’m not up to speed on who offers them these days. Best router bits are made by Whiteside.

As to other wood working tools, the possibilities are endless, but you need to find out what would fit her needs best. If she is in to ‘flat things’, then a table saw, miter saw, band saw, jointer, or jig saw might work. If she likes making ‘round things’, then a wood lathe might be just the ticket.
Posted By: Teal Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Thanks.

I might go Bosch. They have a combo on sale here. Just didn't want to buy junk.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Rockler has a lot of wood working stuff, and it appears first class.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
I mounted my router under the table saw extension wing...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Incra table with a Bosch
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22

This is best setup.

Bosch makes a good router.

Bench dog makes some smaller stand alone router tables that are pretty functional.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I have a router table I built with a table top about the size of your saw extension table. It is a lot easier to remove and install bits and adjust the router if you make up a plexiglass plate for the router to mount to - approximately 8 x 8 is about the right size, then make an inlet in the table top with a rabbet around the edges for it to drop into so you can pop it out quickly for adjustments and then drop it back in. You can make several of the plates for different things also- some for large bits like panel raising bits, some for router guides, etc....
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Something like this Hand trimmer as an example with small Spiral Cutters would allow for freehand use to express her artistic talents.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
I used to run a router some... the Hitachi M12vc is a monster on power (or at least it used to be the strongest). Power makes cleaner cuts IMHO, but like I said it is a real monster. If you get her one build the table STRONG... and TOP QUALITY router bits.

Good for you on helping... and good on her for doing.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by Teal
Thanks.

I might go Bosch. They have a combo on sale here. Just didn't want to buy junk.

Bosch is good. I love their jig saw. For a router I will stick with Porter Cable.
Posted By: 603Country Re: Wood tools - 11/27/21
Worth mention, if you get her a router table, is that you’ll be amazed how much sawdust and chips can be generated in an instant. With that in mind, it would be smart to get a router table where the router is enclosed, and dust collection can be done with a shop vac.

The Bosch combo is a very good one. The plunge base is terrific. Put the fixed base in the router table.

I have a Bosch trim router (Bosch Colt) and a Makita trim router. Of the two, I prefer the Makita. But if a small router with the plunge base option is desired, get the small Dewalt combo.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Wood tools - 11/28/21
Harbor freight router would probably be more than adequate for that type of use. In my opinion it's not so much the router as it is the quality and selection of bits.

I have a Craftsman router, a black & decker table router and a little handheld orange Harbor freight router that I keep in the work truck that's probably 12yrs old that gets more use.

I use Tungsten carbide router bits, tough enough for soft or hard wood.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Wood tools - 11/28/21
I have a bigger Bosch router and table... its a workhorse. Wouldnt be scared to buy another.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Wood tools - 11/28/21
A good set of Japanese hand saws will help w a lot of work. Since you have plenty of good advice on routers and tables. Hand held coping saws for close up detail work is a good find too. Endless tools!
© 24hourcampfire