Home
Posted By: elkmtb Tie downs - 11/27/21
How do you keep your tie downs/ratchet straps organized and not tangled up
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Is it possible? Mine look like I keep them in a cement mixer and turn it on when I need one.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
It sucks , but I roll em up and tape em!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Yup!
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Yup!
Posted By: JPro Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I ball mine up with Christmas lights for an extra challenge.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is it possible? Mine look like I keep them in a cement mixer and turn it on when I need one.

You must have borrowed mine.
Posted By: EdM Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21

Yep. A bowl of pasta...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Keep in a bucket, least they’ll only be tangled amongst themselves.

Might try some fat rubber bands
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
There was a post about this years ago.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Nite Ize Gear Ties:

Gear Ties

The ratchet ends usually wrap up into themselves pretty well. The long ends get rolled up and wrapped with one of the above gear ties. The Gear Ties are also fantastic for managing the tag end when you've actually got something strapped down. They're basically a giant rubber-coated twist-tie from a loaf of bread.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Rolled and zip tied.

Rolled and Velcrod.

Rolled and taped.

There was a video of rolling and hooking just right to be a beat, self contained set. My cheapys don’t work great this way though.

Rolled and ziplock bagged.

Wadded in a pile.

I’ve done it all and have about every option listed above in all the vehicles.

When I go to use them, I’m always happiest when it is used from the pile that I took the time to organized.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
1" wide rubber-bands cut from a bicycle tube, most important thing is keeping them dry and out of the sun.

Phil
Originally Posted by horse1
Nite Ize Gear Ties:

Gear Ties

The ratchet ends usually wrap up into themselves pretty well. The long ends get rolled up and wrapped with one of the above gear ties. The Gear Ties are also fantastic for managing the tag end when you've actually got something strapped down. They're basically a giant rubber-coated twist-tie from a loaf of bread.
I've looked at those. How long do they last before the wire inside fatigues and breaks?
NiteIze makes some neat stuff. These rope tighteners work great. I've also been using their Figure 9 rope tighteners with tent ropes. They're very fast to adjust and hold very well.

[Linked Image from niteize.com]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Tie-down straps amazing and also frustrating things. I swear that I could drag a grappling hook through a pine tree without it catching on anything, but try pulling 1 strap from among the others and the single S-hook hangs up on every damned thing in the bunch.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Roll them up on themselves and put a huge rubber band around them. I'm a contractor so when I buy doors, they usually have a rubber band over the hinges to protect the hinge...those work great.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by horse1
Nite Ize Gear Ties:

Gear Ties

I've looked at those. How long do they last before the wire inside fatigues and breaks?
NiteIze makes some neat stuff. These rope tighteners work great. I've also been using their Figure 9 rope tighteners with tent ropes. They're very fast to adjust and hold very well.

[Linked Image from niteize.com]

I haven't broken one yet. I lose them or "borrow" them out and never get them back before I break them. Mine see the most use in the winter strapping down the ATV and ice-house to the trailer.
The biggest problem with ratchet straps is when someone tries to help you tie something down. Invariably they'll crank 5 turns of strap around the ratchet and make it impossible to get loose. .
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I keep two in the truck for daily use and several more in the shop. The two that stay in the truck get rolled up and stuffed in the door pocket.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I roll them up and keep them in a milk crate.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by elkmtb

I use ratchet straps all the time. How do I keep them from tangling? Easy, don't be a lazy àss and just throw them in the back of the truck or tool box! Take 30 seconds to roll them back onto themselves each and EVERY time you use them. I keep 4 or 5 stacked on top of each other and never have an issue. It's the same with extension cords. I probably have 5 or 6 100ft extension cords piled up but they never get tangled because I take the necessary time to roll/wind them up. Same with air hoses, cutting torch hoses, water hoses, etc.....
Posted By: roundoak Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
The 1 and 2" tie downs are rolled on to themselves and stuffed in a old work sock. 3 and 4" tie downs are rolled on to themselves and stuffed in a coffee can.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21

I use ratchet straps every day I work and have tried most solutions...what I have settled on is to tie a knot in the end of the strap so the ratchet doesn't fly off the end and knock someone's teeth out when I throw them over the load, after I drop the load I pull the strap most of the way through the ratchet so it is long and then do a couple of wraps around the ratchet before wrapping the rest across that...this allows me to grab the strap hook and simply throw the rest across the load, it unravels in the air and I don't have to piss about with it.

They sit under the passenger side seat.

My straps at home I wrap the same way and dump in a heavy canvas bag.
Posted By: super T Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Yeah, mine are a mess too, those dedicated to my truck are behind the seat. My dad taught me to tie the "truckers knot/hitch"years ago long before tie-downs and bungee cords were common, so I don't use them a lot.
The biggest problem with ratchet straps is when someone tries to help you tie something down. Invariably they'll crank 5 turns of strap around the ratchet and make it impossible to get loose. .

Yes, and that same clown makes a habit of ratcheting a twisted strap as the useless prick is too stupid to first untwist the strap and pull it up tight before ratcheting.

Apparently we know the same clueless arseholes.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I make sure they're wet when I throw them in the metal box. LOL
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I wrap them and tie with the adjustable zip tie, wife describes as varmint anal bead style.
Length as knobbies and snap into collar.

Not sure the search term for the ties but they work ok.

Use a few each weekend strapping down atvs in toyhauler.
Spend a breather moment rolling them up Sunday afternoons.
Posted By: skeen Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by JPro
I ball mine up with Christmas lights for an extra challenge.

laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
One of my outstanding qualities (there are many) is being the only person on Earth who cannot properly thread a rachet strap. Many have tried to teach me. They have all given up; many of them reduced to tears.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
One of my outstanding qualities (there are many) is being the only person on Earth who cannot properly thread a rachet strap. Many have tried to teach me. They have all given up; many of them reduced to tears.

No you are not alone...I work with the other ones.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

We should organize as a club.

Nah...pretty sure they would annoy the crap out of you too.

That's a given - I even annoy myself most of the time.
Posted By: Aagaardsporter Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Roll them up and put them in a plastic freezer bag...quart or gallon depending on strap size. I also save polyethylene bird seed bags, rinse them out and use them for tie downs and coiled rope. Bagged line and straps go in larger canvas bags or plastic bucket/kitty litter pail.

I have trouble releasing them! blush
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I have trouble releasing them! blush

Release them?! You mean that you don't have to cut them to unload?!

Hey I know how that works, half hour after getting the second jab on Friday my wife was trying to ring my work and have them come get me...I locked my phone so she couldn't get the number.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I just use electrical tape

Roll them back up. Little electrical tape. Organized and ready to rock next time
Posted By: victoro Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
I keep 8 coiled up behind my rear seat. All I do is put the ratchet on the ground, put my foot on the short strap, get the long strap ends the same length, fold the long straps back twice and tie them into a knot. They still get a little tangled but are easy to untangle. A friend showed me how to to do it years ago.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Not that long ago.

I posted a video in rural living and then followed up with another on securing the tail in transit.

Originally Posted by Oldman03
There was a post about this years ago.

ETA:
Just looked at it again. 3 1/2 years ago! Times flies when having fun…. or something!
Both videos are in this thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12870818/ratchet-straps#Post12870818
I remember before ratchet straps. laugh
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
4" straps - roll to the hook. When you throw it over the load you're throwing strap not a hook that can damage the load or someone's head. No-brainer.

2" & 1" ratchet straps - remove strap from ratchet, roll to hook as above for same reasons. In use, run through ratchet and tighten. No-brainer. (If you object that it's a PIA to get strap into ratchet, you don't maintain your equipment properly and should be shot.)

Bungee cords - hook to either end of an appropriate length of 3- or 4" PVC pipe. You'd be amazed at how many will fit.

Chains - hook one end to the other end near that hook. If no chain rack use a bin or barrel, hook to inside lip, add chains clockwise, remove chains counter-clockwise so you're never trying to pull one from underneath the others. Hang binders from outside lip of barrel or bin.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Keep in a bucket, least they’ll only be tangled amongst themselves.

Might try some fat rubber bands

For the few I use, rolled up around themselves and a rubber band from a big wad of broccoli. Not the florettes, but real broccoli, with the stems and all.

Then they go with their brethren in a plastic "shoe box" container deal. I think I got like an 8 pack of them at Costco (sorry Conrad, but some things are just that way)

Mostly though, I prefer to use rope and tie knots.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Find center put overhand knot and hang them from a hook. The problem I have with them is gettting them wet and freezing in late fall when you get to trailhead!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21

You’ve got a memory like an elephant...👍🏼

🦫
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21

Nope,

signed,

your long lost relative.
Gnaw, beaver. 🙄

I just looked a little bit. 👍
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by elkmtb

Not worth the trouble. Get a box.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I make sure they're wet when I throw them in the metal box. LOL

I decided to test you intelligence with basic Calculus...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You failed...

Sorry but you will have to retake Stupid 101 again.

Good luck.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
Though this is going against my grain, I actually wrap up the straps around the hook neatly with a couple half hitches near the end to stop them from coming undone. The ratchet ends are left to fend for themselves free ranging in the bucket but the straps stay in a tight ball and possible to find and retrieve.
When we trailer a load long distance, I tape the ends, i don't like the distraction.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Tie downs - 11/27/21
An old laptop computer bag... boys on the left and girls on the right
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
I carry zip ties most of the time. Just wind them up and zip tie it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Nope,

signed,

your long lost relative.

Slay the fatted calf! laugh
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
Yeah, I got two in the work truck in the original plastic packaging The other dozen I have are wrapped in blue tape.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21

I have a couple of high schoolers as part time help on the farm. Showed them the video, with the instruction that I expected all the farm straps to be put away like that.

Since then, I have found exactly "0" straps put away like that.

Sigh.....
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
I didn't have the patience to watch the vid much less do it in real real.

Wrap em around the handle(either way) and throw in the backseat or toolbox!
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
I wrap them and tie with the adjustable zip tie, wife describes as varmint anal bead style.
Length as knobbies and snap into collar.

Not sure the search term for the ties but they work ok.

Use a few each weekend strapping down atvs in toyhauler.
Spend a breather moment rolling them up Sunday afternoons.

Spent morning rolling mine back up, bottom of the tub was package for anal bead zip ties- for anyone curious they are called beadle wraps-

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...-10-pack/45-18beadbk/p-1444431000620.htm
Posted By: slumlord Re: Tie downs - 11/28/21
for 20 years off and on; I’ve watched ratchet straps confound young and old

We had one boy that deer hunted with us, he was so dumb he would fumble with one strap for 5-10 mins and still not pull all the slack thru before he commenced to cranking.

I fixed him up a couple of short chains and snap links for him to secure his Honda Dorfman on his trailer.

Even that was a mild challenge for him. I video’d that moron playing Stratego with those chains one day just prove to renegade50 how smooth that boy’s brain was. lol
Ren has begged me to post that video but the Youtube banned me for life.
© 24hourcampfire