Home

https://www.ksla.com/2021/11/28/father-accidentally-kills-daughter-during-hunting-trip/
Have a 12 year old granddaughter that is experienced hunter with her dad (my son) this typd of story terrifies me ..
Bad deal, all around.

Watch those muzzles.

🦫
If anything could make you ponder suicide, that would be it.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Agreed!

Especially, if your wife was hating you more than you already hated yourself.

🦫
Terrifying. Sad for everyone involved.
Exactly why I don’t carry with one in the snout unless I’m solo. Horrible deal
Sad deal, especially for the father.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Agreed!

Especially, if your wife was hating you more than you already hated yourself.

🦫

It would take a mountain of evidence for a spouse not to hate “you”. Bad deal for real and I just hope that it was an absolute freak accident and not just carelessness.
Originally Posted by Judman

a side-arm yes.

With an AR or long gun, don't do it even then.

ya!

GWB
What happened? The linked news article doesn't say.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
What happened? The linked news article doesn't say.

I can’t find any details yet.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Judman

a side-arm yes.

With an AR or long gun, don't do it even then.

ya!

GWB

Exactly what I was thinking, it doesn't take long to work the bolt.
Such a horrible thing. I can't begin to imagine how that could ever happen.
My Lord. No describing how the father and whole family feels right now. A tragedy beyond tragedy were that even possible.
That is about the worst thing that could happen to any father.
I still harp on safety with my two sons and the 4 grandchildren. Even though they're being safe its always a good reminder to talk about it.

It seems that this year there are more hunting accidents than usual?
When I see this type thing, my first thought is "was it an accident?" An accident like this is horrible enough, but there are some even more horrible people in the world. Either way, it is the worst thing I can think of as a parent. A few years ago a fellow "accidentally" shot his wife during deer season. She was dressed in orange, and he claimed he thought she was a deer. I've never seen an orange deer, and never had the police.
Damn! That’s terrible. I can’t imagine how that father must feel. Or how a family ever recovers from something like that.
Remington 700 safety, maybe?
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't, muzzle should have never been pointed in the girls direction.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Damn! That’s terrible. I can’t imagine how that father must feel. Or how a family ever recovers from something like that.

Agreed.

Lots of guessing in this thread too.
Until they release the findings, it's all speculation...
Holy crap.
What a nightmare to live through! I couldn't even begin to imagine the depth of self loathing, grief and regret that this father must be experiencing.
Originally Posted by reivertom
When I see this type thing, my first thought is "was it an accident?" An accident like this is horrible enough, but there are some even more horrible people in the world. Either way, it is the worst thing I can think of as a parent. A few years ago a fellow "accidentally" shot his wife during deer season. She was dressed in orange, and he claimed he thought she was a deer. I've never seen an orange deer, and never had the police.

There are lots of folks out here with color blindness and others out there that are legally blind. That's right, legally blind and carrying rifles. There is no vision test required to get a hunting license. I know of a man who is kind of a gun nut and hunts with a .30-06 and is on SSI disability because of his very poor vision. Can't get a drivers license.
I have no words...... Just so terribly sad...
Why is everyone assuming it was an accidental discharge? There are other possibilities? For instance, it could be a misidentification at that time of day.
Yes, very sad for the little girl, God this is just, beyond comprehension. I could not recover from this were I the father.
At least no one missed a chance to shoot a spike buck...
Originally Posted by reivertom

Ever notice that these “accidents” often result in great shot placement?
The how’s and why’s wouldn’t mean a thing. I’d be calling it a game.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Why is everyone assuming it was an accidental discharge? There are other possibilities? For instance, it could be a misidentification at that time of day.

The sun had not yet set. Even though it was cloudy, there was more than enough light to distinguish a human from a deer. I would hope that a father would stay with his 11 year old daughter when hunting.
Bummer
It's horrible. I refuse to speculate.
How does a father/husband go back to the house, look his wife in the eyes, and tell her that he accidently shot their daughter????
Muzzle control
Be sure of your target before your finger gets on the trigger
If In doubt, no finger inside the trigger guard.

Sad sad thing.
Hunted with my “little girl” ( she’s 20 now) last night. sat in a double ladder stand for three hours. Watched a flock of turkeys for 30 min then watched them fly up into the tree tops to roost. One more time we spent together I’ll soon not forget. These are the few great days mixed in with all the [bleep] days that make life worth living. One of the most tragic things I’ve read about lately.
I’d shoot myself in the temple after I was done burying her
I cannot even read the article. I cannot imagine the agony or put myself in the Dad's shoes. Sad beyond words.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

With all the negligently made 700s still out there, this has to be considered.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Could be a low light issue, but I built a two person box blind and kept my little girl in the stand with me until she was bout 14 or 15. And ordered her not to get down and walk around. We were on our private property but you never know.

An attorney enlisted me to help him on a civil case where a 70+ year old father and his adult son were hunting deer. To make the story shorter I will say the elderly father well after sunset saw his son walking up the road and mistook him for a buck deer and shot him center mass with either a .270or a .308.I don't remember who had which rifle. The son died instantly. The reason for the lawyer was the reluctance to pay the widow by the lease's liability policy insurer.
There’s no telling what happened. That said, a lot of people are killed by dropping loaded guns out of deer stands. Getting a loaded gun out of a vehicle and about a hypothermia ways. Terrible tragedy.
Originally Posted by rainshot
There’s no telling what happened. That said, a lot of people are killed by dropping loaded guns out of deer stands. Getting a loaded gun out of a vehicle and about a hypothermia ways. Terrible tragedy.

Most "accidents" happen near vehicles, loading or unloading...

At least no one missed a chance at a spike buck...
Originally Posted by rainshot

I know someone that shot himself taking his rifle out of the back seat, butt hit the ground hard enough to make it go off, this was some kind of inline muzzleloader. Bullet went up through his beer gut and amazingly stopped in the ribcage missing his heart and lungs. And a couple weeks later his teenage son got bit by a rattlesnake.
Article says dad thought the gun was empty and he went to "clear the hammer" and the gun fired. His daughter was in the passenger seat.

Sounds like he pulled the trigger while pointing the rifle at the truck. Maybe he tried to lower the hammer manually on a lever action and it slipped, or he just "dry fired" it.. but it was loaded.

Not accident. Negligent discharge. Horrible, and totally avoidable.
I grew up with my dad hunting with a 1954 Marlin 336. So this sounds very familiar to me..

You have to work the action to eject the shells. BUT this guy sounds like he failed to work it extra times, he just ejected the number of rounds he thought he still had in the gun.

Error #1) You ALWAYS work that lever a few extra times to make sure you got everything.
Error #2) You ALWAYS visually and manually inspect the chamber to be sure it's empty before closing the bolt (okay, my dad didn't manually check since nobody taught him that in the 50's - but we sure do it now).
Error #3) When decocking by pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer, you NEVER dry fire it or let that hammer slip.
Error #4) You NEVER point the gun anywhere except at an empty patch of ground while unloading or decocking.
Error #5) You NEVER point the gun in a direction where another person is, whether the gun is loaded or not.

Prevent any one of those errors, and nobody would have been hurt.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=Hotrod_Lincoln]Remington 700 safety, maybe?

Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't, muzzle should have never been pointed in the girls direction.[/quote

This is the issue. Safety malfunction, miss calculating rounds in the gun, etc all can and do happen. They’re harmless if the gun is pointed where it should be pointed.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Article says dad thought the gun was empty and he went to "clear the hammer" and the gun fired. His daughter was in the passenger seat.

Sounds like he pulled the trigger while pointing the rifle at the truck. Maybe he tried to lower the hammer manually on a lever action and it slipped, or he just "dry fired" it.. but it was loaded.

Geez.. hard to live with that.
They must have updated the article this afternoon.
terrible news to hear, hopefully some day this sad story will safe a life. my son and i hunt deer with a Ruger #1 which is a single shot for this reason ,it just keeps hunting simpler for us in a box stand loading and unloading.
Like others have stated, most hunting accidents happen in the proximity of the hunting vehicle, when most people are working actions with loading/unloading. I couldn't live with myself if that was me and my daughter.
Horrible horrible horrible.

Sounds like a complete f'n moron to me.

Someone should take away that rifle and beat him to death with it.
man I can not even begin to know what he is going thru.
Sad all the way around
A moment’s carelessness.

One can get to thinking one has been dealt heavy blows in life, and many have, but something like this leaves one speechless.
What a tragedy.
I could not live with it. I would attend to all the burial details, and then I would shoot myself in the temple.
Unfathomable.
Not sure one could recover from such a tragedy.
Obviously avoidable, but everyone has made a stupid brainless mistake in their lives. I just hope stories like this stick in my mind and others who read it while handling any firearm. Maybe it helps keep safety in the front of our brains.
Negligence, period. There are -hcktards with guns. Still, just heartbreaking loss of a young life.
Wow. That’s just absolutely gut wrenching and something I don’t want to think about. Sickening to thing about the loss of that life and how tormented the father will be for the rest of his life.
Treat ALL GUNS as if they are LOADED!!!

NEVER point a gun, loaded or UNLOADED, at ANYTHING you don't intend to shoot!!!

It's so sad that this father didn't follow simple gun safety rules and proper clearing techniques!
Sad.
Some of you Jesus’s should step the fugk off your pulpits.

or a single action pistol.
Originally Posted by dale06

Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't, muzzle should have never been pointed in the girls direction.[/quote

This is the issue. Safety malfunction, miss calculating rounds in the gun, etc all can and do happen. They’re harmless if the gun is pointed where it should be pointed.

Muzzle control is always the issue.

If what Cahoun reports is true this so called Father is a complete idiot and deserves the pain for the rest of his life.
Originally Posted by dale06

Muzzle control is always the issue.

If what Cahoun reports is true this so called Father is a complete idiot and deserves the pain for the rest of his life.

I agree, this guy is a dumb ass and should go to jail. he couldn't remember how many rounds he had in the rifle? So what?
Who cares, what in hell does that have to do with anything? He was clearing the hammer? ? Whut? With her already in the passenger seat and he has the rifle pointed at her?? The rifle needs to be pointed away & outside if he is emptying the gun and letting down the hammer, and even more stupid if he was dropping the hammer on what he thought was an empty chamber by pulling the trigger towards her! Sounds like he shouldn't own a gun, wow.
It's too bad the Handi-Rifle is no longer in production.

Even this genius likely would have been able to make it safe without killing anyone.
© 24hourcampfire