Home
Posted By: smokepole Last Tomato - 12/02/21
Just had the last one from the garden for the year. Used the tip from Idaho Shooter (IIRC) and pulled the vines before the first frost and hung them in the garage where they wouldn't freeze.

They ripen slow, nice to have fresh tomatoes into December.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
I put a bunch in the cooler in Sept. I tossed the last few yesterday to make room for a couple elk. They don't ripen in the dark and cold but you can take them out and put them in the sun as needed and they'll ripen after a week or so.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
Down to a dozen or so.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
Wow that is late

Ours played out late September

By then usually, they taste โ€˜offโ€™ or bland.

Cool idea about hanging them though!

Seen pot plants done like that, let all the THC run down to the fuzzy heads. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Posted By: smokepole Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
Works pretty good, all I left on the vines were green ones and they all ripened up.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
We take green tomatoes and wrap them individually in a piece of newspaper and place them in a cooler with the lid closed. Go pull out a few and let them ripen on the window for a couple of days. We have fresh ones all winter long.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Last Tomato - 12/02/21
Interesting that several of us still have tomatoes.

Got two big boxes of cherry tomatoes left, all red and ripe. I covered the 7' tall vines and kept them from freezing here on the coast till mid Oct, then cut off big vines loaded with green tomatoes.
They have all ripened and taste OK, but not as good as vine ripened in the sun. Will throw out what's left in a few more days. Nice to have fresh tomatoes from the garden still in Dec!

A fellow in Port Townsend grew tomatoes in a south facing sun room. When I visited him in Feb. one year he had fresh ripe tomatoes on vines 20 feet long, still growing and producing.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Last Tomato - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
We take green tomatoes and wrap them individually in a piece of newspaper and place them in a cooler with the lid closed. Go pull out a few and let them ripen on the window for a couple of days. We have fresh ones all winter long.

Overachiever.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Last Tomato - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
Just had the last one from the garden for the year. Used the tip from Idaho Shooter (IIRC) and pulled the vines before the first frost and hung them in the garage where they wouldn't freeze.

They ripen slow, nice to have fresh tomatoes into December.

LOL... I have three left on the counter... been watching them carefully...

I ain't gonna get Jimmy Olsened AGAIN by Slum...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Last Tomato - 12/03/21
Still have kale and collards, I'll be eating those at least until 2022.
© 24hourcampfire