Home
Posted By: geedubya Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

In my world one harvests crops.

Game is killed.

It peeves me to no end when I hear a "hunter" say he "harvest's game.

Your thoughts?

GWB
Posted By: antlers Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill. I’ve never harvested anything. I’ve killed a lotta game.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
kill, harvest is for crops
Posted By: Springcove Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill them, then harvest them. Hard to do it the other way around 🙂
Posted By: nmitchell Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
Posted By: EdM Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by antlers
Kill.

This.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
Posted By: Judman Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
Posted By: hookeye Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Theres nothing wrong with some types of killing.
Always use the word " kill " when describing the taking of game.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by geedubya
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

+10 gwb all these pc [bleep] are to worried to talk straight.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When you "harvest" your game, do you then lay your hand on the beast, close your eyes, and thank the spirit of the animal for their sacrifice?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I just kill them. I'm not cool like the tv guys so I've never smoked, whacked or thumped an animal.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
I have smoked some varmints.
More of a mist really, but kinda looks like smoke.
Heard arrow impacts on deer, so yeah if it thumps then Ive thumped em.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Reap....

Harvest.....

Let's folks know the food chain is working as designed and hunters are ruthless killers.
Kill
Posted By: dale06 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

I’m with you GWB.
There’s some bowhunting forums that I’m on, and there’s a few “harvesters” on those sites. I correct them often.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Shoot em, Kill em, Grill em.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I "got that sumbitch".

Or alternatively....I,..... "fùck...I got him!".
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Livestock doesn't go to the harvest floor does it?

Harvest grain, pick fruit, collect eggs, catch fish, trap crustations, but I'm not sure what you call it when you're harvesting clams, mussels, or oysters.

Harvesting wild animals sounds more PC than killing them.
Posted By: las Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
"Caught"

Learned it from Eskimos...... smile
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Murder or slay.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I "got that sumbitch".

This too.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

Harvest is a .gov favourite...the rest of creation kills.
Cain harvested. Abel killed. One was pleasing to God. One was not.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
GW;
Good evening my southern friend, I hope the day was a good one for you folks and that all in your fine family are well.

Indeed I've long held that words matter, which is why we need to pay attention to all sorts of aspects of our written and spoken communications.

We had a neighbor who was a fairly strict vegan, but was okay with folks hunting to get their protein as she felt it was an honest way to go about it.

She couldn't seemingly bring herself to ask if I'd killed anything, but would often ask in her wonderful Swiss accent if I'd "caught anything yet hunting". wink grin

When teaching the Hunter Safety course we talk about this during the ethics portion and I've long held and opined that hunting isn't a "sport" per se as typically things don't die during sporting events.

All that to say when we hunt, whether for meat or for predator control, the object is to kill something in order to use either its meat or hide if at all possible.

I'd say though in closing GW, that when one of the yard mulie fawns "harvested" my red beets a little early or when one of the 4 black bears who were on patrol harvested my pear tree this year, I did think that I might like to "harvest" them right back! shocked

Thanks for the thread as I do agree with your thoughts on the matter and all the best to you all as we head into the Christmas Season.

Dwayne
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I kill stuff. It makes me sick to my stomach when people start using pc jargon to try to make what they do seem less offensive to anyone who'd be offended by it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Las week my buddy and I kilt us a couple a elks. Don't recall using a combine or baler to harvest anything.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Generally, I “whack”.
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I take a life I kill. Nuf said.
George
When you go fishing, do you "harvest" a mess of fish?
Posted By: goalie Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Cretch
Shoot em, Kill em, Grill em.

Harvest and grill 'em just doesn't have the same panache
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I "got that sumbitch".

Then it’s...PTL with a finger pointing to sky daddy.

LOL

🦫
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I harvest a bunch of stuff............from my garden each year. I kill game. When I harvest my vegetables, the plant doesn't die but critters die.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
As many as we killed this fall a new word could have been used...
Posted By: GRF Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
GW; depends upon the audience. Amongst those I know are comfortable with hunting the term is kill.

When I am chatting with a non-hunter who is uncommitted as to whether they are pro or anti hunting I will purposely use “softer” words as I work them toward a pro hunting stance.

Committed anti hunters I won’t talk to and don’t GAF what they think, they can not be convinced.

The non-hunter can be convinced and moved to a pro hunting perspective with a gentle information conversation. There are a great deal more non-hunters than either hunters or anti-hunters we need to win the non-hunters into supporting hunting and firearms rights.

I hope you are well today good sir.

GRF
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

One harvests crops, picks fruit, slaughters livestock. When one is successful hunting, one has killed. I despise the term harvesting applied to hunted game. As I have stated on this site before, the term demeans the hunter, the activity and, most especially, the game hunted. When I was the North American representative for a justly famous Namibian safari company, I would occasionally have prospective clients ask about the possibility of harvesting this species or that animal. I said politely but forthrightly that we did not harvest anything; we killed game. We were not farmers. We were not a "put and take" operation. Our game was wild and had to be hunted skillfully via fair chase and killed. I got some strange looks and a few argued that it was "just semantics" (which I assured them it was not) but never lost a sale because of my stance on the phrasing.

Practically every state wildlife and fisheries department in the U.S. uses the term harvest. I believe that tells you what you need to know about what these people think about the hunters that they are supposed to be serving.

Do yourself, the larger hunting community, and hunting itself a favor: Do not tolerate the use of the term harvest being applied to hunting.

RS
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21

kill...........every one I see......young or old...makes no diff

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GeoW Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Got.
Harvest comes from the garden, Killing game is the other.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Lol poked a hole in one at 150 yards with my 270 last week and looked at my cousin said "damn. I harvested the crap outta that one."

He laughed. It's nice to be around wise ass non-democrat folks
Kill. I’ve never thanked the animal for giving its life and kissed it afterwards either. It’s an animal, just like me, who happens to have lost out in the contest for position on the food chain.
I think you owe the animal as quick of a death and as little suffering as possible.
I’m a hunter, not an “outdoors athlete”.
If I didn’t enjoy wild game meat, I wouldn’t hunt or fish.
No different than planting a garden or hunting mushrooms.
It’s all about the groceries.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Kill. I’ve never thanked the animal for giving its life and kissed it afterwards either. It’s an animal, just like me, who happens to have lost out in the contest for position on the food chain.
I think you owe the animal as quick of a death and as little suffering as possible.

You mean you wouldn't hunt solely to give the meat to the food bank?
I harvest by killing.

From Meriam Webster's

harvest verb
harvested; harvesting; harvests
Definition of harvest (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb

1a: to gather in (a crop) : REAP
harvesting corn
b: to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control

The verb harvest indicates that I am not just killing, but also dressing the game and collecting the hide, fur, skull, antlers, and meat for use. I see people that just "kill" coyotes without harvesting them. They leave them for dead. Gut shoot a deer and have it run away and die days after you gave up looking for it. You killed. You didn't harvest it.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I harvest by killing.

From Meriam Webster's

harvest verb
transitive verb

harvesting corn
b: to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control

The verb harvest indicates that I am not just killing, but also dressing the game and collecting the hide, fur, skull, antlers, and meat for use. I see people that just "kill" coyotes without harvesting them. They leave them for dead. Gut shoot a deer and have it run away and die days after you gave up looking for it. You killed. You didn't harvest it.

Someone had 2 moms.
I harvest by killing.

From Meriam Webster's

harvest verb
transitive verb

harvesting corn

The only things you harvest are dicks at the truck stop.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Slaughtered?

🦫
Posted By: szihn Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Yes.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Never harvested a dink.

From the Group W Bench

DD
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
The word "harvest" is just a euphemism when applied to hunting. It's a PC way to say kill, which is what actually happens.
Kill, past tense kilt.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never harvested a dink.

From the Group W Bench

DD

Speaking of the Group W Bench,

Arlo never used the word Harvest!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Slaughtered?

🦫

We did have an above average year.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
when i was a kid and i would return from hunting at the end of the day, my grandma would ask me, what did you catch?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I was working and used to take my vacation for deer season, the women would almost invariably ask me if I “caught” anything. I always replied, “I don’t catch ‘em, I shoot ‘em”. I’m not a good enough hunter to catch ‘em”. Only once did I get any flack from one, a very pretty one BTW. She walked into the break room and asked me what I was eating. When I told her it was a Bambi sandwich, she got so upset she actually left the room. IIRC, she never spoke to me again.
Posted By: drover Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

The term "harvesting game" grates on me, almost as much as the term "inherent accuracy".

drover
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
lol

Yup, old guys at church be like “catch any deers” ??

non hunter types, worked in a cardboard box factory for 40+ years
Harvest doesn’t annoy me if the person saying it isn’t deliberately going out of their way to be PC. Hunting is basically a way of harvesting from nature, be it hunting for morels or hunting for venison but I’ve never used the word harvest when hunting.

I say Killed, shot, or got.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Killed. Often hammered as well.
Posted By: gldprimr Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Take - as in take their life, aka kill
I harvest by killing.

From Meriam Webster's

harvest verb
transitive verb

harvesting corn

Seems like you are going to great lengths. Ya can't do any of the subsequent before you kill it! Then you can skin, dismember, and burn its flesh.

A very special pig!

Farmer Jones got out of his car and while heading for his friend's door, noticed a pig with a wooden leg. His curiosity roused, he ask, "Fred, how'd that pig get him a wooden leg?"

"Well Michael, that's a mighty special pig! A while back a wild boar attacked me while I was walking in the woods. That pig there came a runnin', went after that boar and chased him away. Saved my life!"

"And the boar tore up his leg?" "No he was fine after that. But a bit later we had that fire. Started in the shed up against the barn. Well, that ole pig started squealin' like he was stuck, woke us up, and 'fore we got out here, the darn thing had herded the other animals out of the barn and saved 'em all!"

"So that's when he hurt his leg, huh, Fred?" "No, Michael. He was a might winded, though. When my tractor hit a rock and rolled down the hill into the pond I was knocked clean out. When I came to, that pig had dove into the pond and dragged me out 'fore I drownded. Sure did save my life."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?" "Oh no, he was fine. Cleaned him up, too."

"OK, Fred. So just tell me. How did he get the wooden leg?"

"Well", the farmer tells him, "A pig like that, you don't want to eat all at once."

I guess one could de-nut a male animal of a species or take the claws off crustaceans. Wonder how many ways of "Harvesting" meat there is without first 'killing"?

Quien Sabe,

GWB
Posted By: pullit Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
kill
Posted By: JimR Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I think you know.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
And yet so many use the word harvest here. Read the hunt reports. For the record, I killed 4 this year.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I harvest by killing.

From Meriam Webster's

harvest verb
transitive verb

harvesting corn

Seems like you are going to great lengths. Ya can't do any of the subsequent before you kill it! Then you can skin, dismember, and burn its flesh.

A very special pig!

Farmer Jones got out of his car and while heading for his friend's door, noticed a pig with a wooden leg. His curiosity roused, he ask, "Fred, how'd that pig get him a wooden leg?"

"Well Michael, that's a mighty special pig! A while back a wild boar attacked me while I was walking in the woods. That pig there came a runnin', went after that boar and chased him away. Saved my life!"

"And the boar tore up his leg?" "No he was fine after that. But a bit later we had that fire. Started in the shed up against the barn. Well, that ole pig started squealin' like he was stuck, woke us up, and 'fore we got out here, the darn thing had herded the other animals out of the barn and saved 'em all!"

"So that's when he hurt his leg, huh, Fred?" "No, Michael. He was a might winded, though. When my tractor hit a rock and rolled down the hill into the pond I was knocked clean out. When I came to, that pig had dove into the pond and dragged me out 'fore I drownded. Sure did save my life."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?" "Oh no, he was fine. Cleaned him up, too."

"OK, Fred. So just tell me. How did he get the wooden leg?"

"Well", the farmer tells him, "A pig like that, you don't want to eat all at once."

I guess one could de-nut a male animal of a species or take the claws off crustaceans. Wonder how many ways of "Harvesting" meat there is without first 'killing"?

Quien Sabe,

GWB

He shoulda stayed home.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill. Harvest is for farmers and lardassssed lawyers behind small'ish high fenced places. whistle
kilt it.

Reduced to possession a friend of mine would say.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Don't think I have ever harvested anything.
Never hear the term here.

I have picked and cut corn, cut and baled hay, we combined oats and
wheat. Killed a bunch of deer, cows, pigs, chickens and some turkeys.
Raised meat rabbits as a kid. Killed them too.

Harvest sounds citified and high falooten.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When there are so many "hunters" these days who raise deer like a crop of farm animals, I'm surprised there is an objection to using the word "harvest" once they've been fed, photographed, passed up and allowed to age enough to finally produce a good set of antlers. This seems particularly odd coming from a Texan.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When my youngest daughter was a litte tyke would see me heading out to go hunting, she'd say, "daddy, catch me a big un". Now she's grown and is 5 years into her military career she wants to know if I've killed a good one yet.
Posted By: deflave Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I FUGK!

LOL
Posted By: saddlering Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I'm a Hunter, there for I Kill Stuff!
matar
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill. Harvest is for crops or domesticated deer running behind a fence.
Originally Posted by saddlering

Two thumbs up for the murder you did to the English language.

LOL
Posted By: HughW Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I head out hunting the intent to be succesful is for something to die -- so I have killed whatever.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Jericho
when i was a kid and i would return from hunting at the end of the day, my grandma would ask me, what did you catch?

Mine always did too. Always remarked “hunter home from the hills!”
Posted By: JPro Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Ha! Slaughtered it...
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Ha! Slaughtered it...

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
I "got that sumbitch".

My next words were "well chit, I got something to do now".
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I keeyul ‘em 😁. “Kill” is a two syllable word if you have an accent 😊
Originally Posted by Blackheart
When there are so many "hunters" these days who raise deer like a crop of farm animals, I'm surprised there is an objection to using the word "harvest" once they've been fed, photographed, passed up and allowed to age enough to finally produce a good set of antlers. This seems particularly odd coming from a Texan.

Shows how much you know about me, and hunting Texas doesn't it?
Normally kill or turn into groceries. Never harvest. I'm not that gay.
Posted By: Iejuk8 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I don’t post often but I had to for this one! I kill! Grew up helping my uncle with row crop farming (soybeans). We killed deer and cut beans. He never called and said it’s time to go harvest the beans lol
Posted By: efw Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill kill kill
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Normally kill or turn into groceries. Never harvest. I'm not that gay.

[Linked Image from reactiongifs.com]
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
All the animals I harvest are killed
I'm pretty sure the vegetables I grew this last year
and harvested were dead also. I think pulling them
off the vines killed them
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I reckon using an International Harvester M1 Garand one could say harvested.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When we go and fish for red snapper we refer to it going to go kill some fish.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So you don't agree that they are common practices in Texas ? In fact that those practices originated in Texas and are so commonly used that Texas is known for such things all across the Country ? For certain there are many here who've proudly posted pictures of their feeders and food plots and game cam pics of bucks that were either "shooters" ready for harvest or ones that are to be passed up because they are not yet "mature" enough and ready for harvest or "culls" that need to be removed so as not to contaminate the genetics of the herd. All common farm practices. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A hunters list of equipment does not include such things as feed, feeders, supplements, seed, plows, discs, fertilizer etc.. Those are the tools of a farmer.
I put the smackdown on that swamp donkey so it takes a dirt nap before going for a ride in the truck.

Yeah, that sounds ghey when they say it in TV too.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I kill.
If someone is bothered by that,we won't get along

So you don't agree that they are common practices in Texas ? In fact that those practices originated in Texas and are so commonly used that Texas is known for such things all across the Country ? For certain there are many here who've proudly posted pictures of their feeders and food plots and game cam pics of bucks that were either "shooters" ready for harvest or ones that are to be passed up because they are not yet "mature" enough and ready for harvest or "culls" that need to be removed so as not to contaminate the genetics of the herd. All common farm practices. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A hunters list of equipment does not include such things as feed, feeders, supplements, seed, plows, discs, fertilizer etc.. Those are the tools of a farmer.

I forgot more about deer hunting here than you'll ever fathom. One thing I do know is that there is probably 1000 times more low fence ground than high fence, and not everyone hunts out of stands over feeders.
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
I kill stuff. It makes me sick to my stomach when people start using pc jargon to try to make what they do seem less offensive to anyone who'd be offended by it.

X1000
Posted By: ingwe Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I kill.

I forgot more about deer hunting here than you'll ever fathom. One thing I do know is that there is probably 1000 times more low fence ground than high fence, and not everyone hunts out of stands over feeders.
Good dodge of the questions. Low fence, high fence, shyt, most of the Texas boys here are scared to hunt public land. Can't count the times I've read as much right here on these forums. Gotta own or lease that land in order to restrict access, eliminate competition and feel safe. LOL
Always killed when i pulled the trigger.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I prefer plain talk, I kill sh*t every chance I get. Don't give a rat's ass who it offends. I can't even stand the word "take" (or "took") in the place of kill.
Posted By: blanket Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I have harvested a lot of things but have killed a bunch more
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I kill. And no one is filming me as I flick off the safety.
I see the term harvest, as opposed to hunt.

Example, killing a deer that lives around the house most of the time, and has no fear of me, that would be a harvest.

Killing a deer in his wild environment where I had to locate and close with, that is a hunt.

Either way, it is a kill.
Planned parenthood calls cutting up writhing babies "harvesting organs". The angel of death is known as the Grim Reaper, the definition of reap is "to harvest". I consign my trapped fur to "Fur Harvesters Auction".
When duck hunting, I’ll say “Kill em” when they’re in range.

I’m gonna try saying “Harvest Them” just to change it up a little.

🦫
Originally Posted by UselessEater
Planned parenthood calls cutting up writhing babies "harvesting organs". The angel of death is known as the Grim Reaper, the definition of reap is "to harvest". I consign my trapped fur to "Fur Harvesters Auction".

You just had to go there...

SMH

🦫

It's all good JG.

Blackheart, I'll make you an offer. I made this offer years ago more than once, never had any takers. Mosey on down to Uvalde Texas, pretty much any time you want, as I'm retired. I'll meet you and we can go to my lease. I have a camper and there is a line shack you can stay in. Be sure to bring water as there is no potable water to be had other than what you bring in. Also bring anything else you require as we are 20 miles from the nearest town and six miles off the paved road.
If you want power, (it may be 90 degrees at 10 PM, May through September), you can use a spare generator we have.

Its a 60,000 + acre, low fenced/no fenced ranch, out of which we have a 1,700 acre pasture. No it is not high fenced, but we do bait. Chances are you are from and area that has plenty of public land which to hunt. You may spot and stalk in your home territory. Other than for turkey, varmints or sneaking up on a feeder at night with thermal, while hunting pigs, we don't. That is not local custom here.

What I will do is take a 55 gallon drum and paint it fluorescent orange and hide it somewhere on our 1,700 acre lease. If you can find it in 3 days, I'll give you $2,000, and pay your gas back. The only caveat is that you have to spot and stalk. No motorized vehicle.

A few views of the topography that you will be traipsing

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

175 yds. from an elevated blind

+/- 270 yds to the dot from the blind!

You will probably want to wear brush pants and long sleeves, even if it is 100degrees F,

as just about every plant you will brush up against either pricks, claws

sticks or stings!

Hint, bring a good pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Those little tiny clusters of Cactus hairs are hell to get out with fingernails or a pocket knife.

you will want to wear footwear that gives good ankle support.

I will provide you with a two-way radio to keep on your person while spotting and stalking. There is no cell service, and should you become dehydrated or break a hip or ankle, I'll need to come get you.

Anywho,

Come on down, it will be an experience. I know that the guys that I have entertained in the past that were from different western states told me that having hunted for several days, and enjoyed the hospitality, it changed their whole view of the way we hunt here, and each said they would like to come back.

Best,

GWB
Funny how killing is associated with bad, we had hog killing time, time to kill beeves, and every Sunday chicken
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I kill. And no one is filming me as I flick off the safety.

I’m sure there are some good ones, I’ve seen a few mostly lower budget hunting shows that we’re decent and more realistic but overall can’t stand ‘em. The over the top high-fives or fist bumps and hooting and hollering is retarded.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

Harvest wheat.

Kill game.
I say...I have rendered thee bereft of life.
I kill
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

What you said.

I think the "harvesters" are akin to the person who goes on a mass shooting rampage. Each finds a way to demean and degrade the things they are killing to make it more palatable, make the people less human, make the animal merely a crop rather than a wild and free thing .. make the death matter less. If the day ever comes that I can't say "I killed .." and own it straight up with no excuses, no rationalization, I damned well better hang up my guns because when that happens I've rationalized becoming the monster.

Tom
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I am unlike you all I prefer the term harvest

It’s what is used in feedlot medicine lecture

I like it
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am unlike you all I prefer the term harvest

It’s what is used in feedlot medicine lecture

I like it

I like the term “Whore” which is used a lot in porn.

😝🦫

It's all good JG.

Blackheart, I'll make you an offer. I made this offer years ago more than once, never had any takers. Mosey on down to Uvalde Texas, pretty much any time you want, as I'm retired. I'll meet you and we can go to my lease. I have a camper and there is a line shack you can stay in. Be sure to bring water as there is no potable water to be had other than what you bring in. Also bring anything else you require as we are 20 miles from the nearest town and six miles off the paved road.
If you want power, (it may be 90 degrees at 10 PM, May through September), you can use a spare generator we have.

Its a 60,000 + acre, low fenced/no fenced ranch, out of which we have a 1,700 acre pasture. No it is not high fenced, but we do bait. Chances are you are from and area that has plenty of public land which to hunt. You may spot and stalk in your home territory. Other than for turkey, varmints or sneaking up on a feeder at night with thermal, while hunting pigs, we don't. That is not local custom here.

What I will do is take a 55 gallon drum and paint it fluorescent orange and hide it somewhere on our 1,700 acre lease. If you can find it in 3 days, I'll give you $2,000, and pay your gas back. The only caveat is that you have to spot and stalk. No motorized vehicle.

You will probably want to wear brush pants and long sleeves, even if it is 100degrees F,

sticks or stings!

Hint, bring a good pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Those little tiny clusters of Cactus hairs are hell to get out with fingernails or a pocket knife.

I will provide you with a two-way radio to keep on your person while spotting and stalking. There is no cell service, and should you become dehydrated or break a hip or ankle, I'll need to come get you.

Anywho,

Come on down, it will be an experience. I know that the guys that I have entertained in the past that were from different western states told me that having hunted for several days, and enjoyed the hospitality, it changed their whole view of the way we hunt here, and each said they would like to come back.

Best,

GWB

That's a damn nice offer GW. Very generous.Thanks ! But I'm afraid I have no desire to hunt in Texas. I have plenty of hunting here. Got 13,000 + acres of State forest just up the road and hundreds of thousands more within a half hours drive in any direction. Baiting is illegal here as well as feeding, the State land is heavily forested and deer numbers are comparatively low but I do like to wander. Water isn't a problem, it's everywhere. In fact the ground, trees and everything else is covered with it in it's frozen white form. There is no cell service where I hunt here either. If you get lost or fall and break something you better be able to get a fire going or you're likely going to freeze. I might die of thirst or heat stroke there. I never could stand hot weather nor am I fond of thorns.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I re-purpose.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill
Posted By: goalie Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Gotta love the "only hunt how I hunt!!!!" crowd.

🙄

But, as stated: "harvest it and grill it" just sounds wrong.

That's a damn nice offer GW. Very generous.Thanks ! But I'm afraid I have no desire to hunt in Texas. I have plenty of hunting here. Got 13,000 + acres of State forest just up the road and hundreds of thousands more within a half hours drive in any direction. Baiting is illegal here, the State land is all heavily forested and deer numbers are comparatively low but I do like to wander. Water isn't a problem, it's everywhere. In fact the ground, trees and everything else is covered with it in it's frozen white form. There is no cell service where I hunt here either. If you get lost or fall and break something you better be able to get a fire going or you're likely to freeze to death. I might die of thirst or heat stroke there.

I understand. It is what it is, and the offer was made in all sincerity. I appreciate your courteous response.

I was born in Texas, have lived here all my life. Been after birds and critters since I was six. I'll be 70 on the 21st of this month. I would have loved to have grown up in a western or nothern clime, but what the hey! Such was not the case.

With time and preparation I could go hunt pretty much all over the world should I want to,(subject to being a 70 yr old flatlander) but I'm content these days to hunt the way I do here.

Waidmannsheil!

GWB

Posted By: LouisB Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I harvest things from the garden, I kill game to eat.
Seems simple enough
"Harvest" is about as irritating as people who go out of their way to say something like "I don't hunt anything unless I am going to eat it!"... As if providing life-sustaining food is the ONLY legitimate reason for freeing the spirit of one of Mother Earth's noble creatures.... And they themselves are more righteous than you because they ONLY hunt with this high standard as their goal.

Well, sometimes you don't need the meat. But you may need the fur. You may need the hide. You may need to just get rid of some critter that is causing problems. Now, I don't believe in being wasteful, or abusive to nature, but holy cow, people sure can take it too far. It's the same neo-hippy mindset as "harvest".
I remember hog killing time, not pork harvesting

We used to say “ take” for the “sensitive types” when I was growing up.

In Missouri if you don’t say “Kilt” … you might get looked at sideways…. When I said “I took” a deer on that ridge over there I was called a Yankee !! LOL
Posted By: ERK Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I harvested some skunks by accident with the combine but it sure stinks and nothing edible comes out the back. Everything else I kill. My daughter and grandkids kill also. Edk
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Whackem and stackem.

It's all good JG.

sticks or stings!

Anywho,

Best,

GWB

Jesus Christ Geedub, how do you get about...on stilts?

That is dense country.
Tired of in sensibilities, we kill meat to eat, we kill people to remain safe
Originally Posted by blanket
Tired of in sensibilities, we kill meat to eat, we kill people to remain safe

Yup....Then doctors harvest some of the organs, if they’re a donor.

🦫
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
"Harvest" is about as irritating as people who go out of their way to say something like "I don't hunt anything unless I am going to eat it!"... As if providing life-sustaining food is the ONLY legitimate reason for freeing the spirit of one of Mother Earth's noble creatures.... And they themselves are more righteous than you because they ONLY hunt with this high standard as their goal.

Well, sometimes you don't need the meat. But you may need the fur. You may need the hide. You may need to just get rid of some critter that is causing problems. Now, I don't believe in being wasteful, or abusive to nature, but holy cow, people sure can take it too far. It's the same neo-hippy mindset as "harvest".

👆
This.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
"Harvest" must be political correct way of hunting.
Hypocrits. You're all just a bunch of sissies bitchin' because people don't use your preferred verbs and pronouns. You're no different than the word-nannies you're groaning on about. You're so woke because you "kill" stuff and talk about it with the crudest terms and that makes you more authentic or macho or redneck or genuine than anyone who isn't exactly like you, or do you prefer that I say "exactly like (f)aerselves"?
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill, harvest out of my garden
Hypocrits. You're all just a bunch of sissies bitchin' because people don't use your preferred verbs and pronouns. You're no different than the word-nannies you're groaning on about. You're so woke because you "kill" stuff and talk about it with the crudest terms and that makes you more authentic or macho or redneck or genuine than anyone who isn't exactly like you, or do you prefer that I say "exactly like (f)aerselves"?

Really?

I was a Professional Trapper for fifteen years and under the relevant act I "harvested" kangaroos...I can assure you that when I hunt I kill what I hunt.

If there is an issue here it is yours.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Generally, I “whack”.

Whack and stack huh buddy...
Posted By: notamos Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Kill. Harvest is PC metro sexual lingo. Nothing more than an attempt to appease the people who will never be ok with what we do (kill).
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

Yessir, same here.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

👆
This.

Right!
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Listen carefully at 1:42 & 1:45 in the vid, what do I tell my babe ?

When we go hunting, we are out to kill ....

Nice Moose. Getting it done in the Far North with a 300 mag.
I sure hope that was some good table fare.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Really?

I was a Professional Trapper for fifteen years and under the relevant act I "harvested" kangaroos...I can assure you that when I hunt I kill what I hunt.

No problem here. I said I kill on page 3. I don't get my panties in a bunch because someone else uses a different term. I'm not so sensitive that I even have a preference, but we're on page 8 now of whining ninnies that want to crow about how killing they are and can't stand how liberal anyone who uses a different term is.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
Got.

Yep. Got, killed, or caught in the case of fish. But mostly got.

Don't even harvest vegetables......we pick them.
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You mean you wouldn't hunt solely to give the meat to the food bank?

No. Charity is for suckers. I don’t drop quarters in the red kettle or dollar bills to the crack head holding a sign in the median strip either.
Posted By: kingston Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I don't care what someone calls the act of taking game as long as people keep doing it.
Posted By: barnabus Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

i think you are way too sensitive. is that all you to do is sit around and steam of stupid crap?what difference does it make.in the end its dead.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Really?

No problem here. I said I kill on page 3. I don't get my panties in a bunch because someone else uses a different term. I'm not so sensitive that I even have a preference, but we're on page 8 now of whining ninnies that want to crow about how killing they are and can't stand how liberal anyone who uses a different term is.

I'll bet you are a real hoot around a campfire. If not nothing, what is discussed in the glow of the embers?
I kill when hunting and harvest when working my garden.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I kill when hunting and harvest when working my garden.

Bingo!

I used to hunt on my my aunt and uncle's place.

My aunt ALWAYS said "Good luck, I hope you catch a deer."

I used to say "Thanks, I hope to kill a deer, but ain't fast enough or coordinated enough to catch one."

She laughed, but never stopped using the word catch.

We had fun with that.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

We used to say “ take” for the “sensitive types” when I was growing up.

In Missouri if you don’t say “Kilt” … you might get looked at sideways…. When I said “I took” a deer on that ridge over there I was called a Yankee !! LOL

We have a few who probably "take" a deer after they kill it.

Some take sheep.
Don't know if they eat what they take,
don't want to know!
I've often encountered the term 'catch' when referring to big game hunting. I interpret 'catch' to mean that it's still alive, like a fish. I really don't want to catch a live deer or elk. I don't hunt to get the snot kicked out of me.
Posted By: las Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I kill, catch, or harvest game by getting them to "catch" a bullet. Or two.

That's usually a misnomer, as I prefer, and usually do," blow a hole to daylight." ..... smile

So there!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
This year none of the above!!
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
It dives me nuts when someone asks me "Did you catch anything?"after returning from a deer hunting trip.

Ron
How come you can say “ I drank 3 beers”

But you can’t say “ I shot 3 deers”

Any of you Miss Beadles out there want to tackle this?

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by las

I prefer, and usually do," blow a hole to daylight." ..... smile

Obono put forward an EO during his last days in office that Lead bullets (or any bullet that contains any lead %) were herein banned on any Federal land.

Why?

HIS SCIENTISTS said that the California condors are eating all of the lead bullets left in dead animals and dying of lead poisoning...

Trump deleted that EO.

Think about that lie for a minute...

Why would a condor eat a bullet when he/she has 200 pounds of raw flesh to eat?

AND

How many bullets have you EVER found after killing a deer or elk? Seriously... how many? Personally NEVER.
I find a few, don’t always get a pass-thru with .308, muzzleloader

Have little collection on a ledge in my walk in cooler
Took my 7 year old daughter turkey hunting last Spring. She said "do you think we will catch a Turkey today" and I told her "its very important to me that you understand that we aren't out here to catch turkeys. If we see one then you are going to shoot it and it is going to die. Its not coming home to be our pet turkey."

So I am a "kill" guy. Have always thought its stupid to hear people say harvest.

I saw someone post earlier that they kill them first, then harvest them. I can accept that terminology
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by las

I prefer, and usually do," blow a hole to daylight." ..... smile

Obono put forward an EO during his last days in office that Lead bullets (or any bullet that contains any lead %) were herein banned on any Federal land.

Why?

HIS SCIENTISTS said that the California condors are eating all of the lead bullets left in dead animals and dying of lead poisoning...

Trump deleted that EO.

Think about that lie for a minute...

Why would a condor eat a bullet when he/she has 200 pounds of raw flesh to eat?

AND

How many bullets have you EVER found after killing a deer or elk? Seriously... how many? Personally NEVER.
I've recovered a number of bullets from elk. Usually I'll find them under the hide on the far side. The hide is very tough and stretchy and catches them like a trampoline. At the same time, they don't get left in the hills for birds to eat. The idea in hunting is to bring the meat home, not to leave it for the local fawna to eat.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I think of “harvest” I think of someone going to butcher a cow or pig or shoot a deer over a bait pile.

Hunting to me is going after the animal in the wild, no bait allowed. I call it fair chase. Pretty much summed up hunting with the grandson for the first time this year. We seen deer but didn’t kill any, they weren’t within the size limit for the area we hunt. But we had a good time and still ate good. Trying to teach him right so he doesn’t follow a bad path later on.

BTW, the grandson would be doing the shooting, I have no desire to kill an animal anymore. These pups ruined me a few years back.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by MarkWV
When I think of “harvest” I think of someone going to butcher a cow or pig or shoot a deer over a bait pile.

Hunting to me is going after the animal in the wild, no bait allowed. I call it fair chase.

You ever hunt around white oak trees?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I kill a raccoon, I am really killing it.
Some things just need a good killin'. Screw the harvest.

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I harvested a deer last week. But I had to kill it first so I could report my harvest to the state.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I've been trying to be more sensitive this year. So, we went out and mostly peacefully protested several head of wild game.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Hunting to me is going after the animal in the wild, no bait allowed. I call it fair chase.

You ever hunt around white oak trees?

Yes I do, red oak and several fields too. But we also put out 250 lbs of corn and 25 lbs of bird seed around the cabins once a week to watch the animal come and feed. Deer, bear, turkey, squirrel, grouse, rabbits, possums and coons enjoy the feast. Deer never venture far away and come to it 4-5 times a day. Bears will lay in it. Dogs bark and they ignore it. They hear the truck come in the driveway and they run the feeding spots. Funny……I’ve never had that happen in a stand of white oaks.
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

KILL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PERIOD. Don't like the word TOUGH S H I T !!!!!!!!!!!!!You harvest fruits and vegetables.
When you "harvest" your game, do you then lay your hand on the beast, close your eyes, and thank the spirit of the animal for their sacrifice?

No, but when I kill them, I do. Nothing wrong with being thankful and respectful to the animal.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
When I kills em, they be kilt dead!!!
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
I do alot of still hunting in the Adirondacks.

I don't always see the deer before he sees me.

In the event I'm seen first, "accelerate and ventilate".
Posted By: Ringman Re: Do you kill or harvest? - 12/03/21
IMHO, words mean things.

Game is killed.

Your thoughts?

GWB

I agree!
© 24hourcampfire