Home
They're going to thin the herd by 600 to 900 head and might allow hunters to do it. Not inside the park, though.

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) — Officials have agreed to allow as many as 900 bison from Yellowstone National Park to be shot by hunters, sent to slaughter or placed in quarantine this winter in a program that seeks to prevent the animals from spreading a disease to cattle.

An additional 200 bison among the park’s more than 5,000 bison could be captured or hunted in the late winter if those numbers are met, federal, tribal and state officials agreed in a meeting Wednesday.

Bison routinely leave Yellowstone and head north into Montana each winter, raising concerns that the animals could spread brucellosis to cattle. Brucellosis is a bacterial disease that can cause cows to abort their calves. The disease can spread to people but is rare in humans in the U.S.

Elk have spread the disease to livestock but there are no documented cases of bison spreading brucellosis to livestock in the wild, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported.

Yellowstone currently has around 5,450 bison, on the high end of recent counts, according to park biologist Chris Geremia.

Removing 600 to 900 bison this winter should cause the population to stabilize or decline slightly but increase back to around current numbers after spring calving, according to park officials.

Several Native American tribes and the state of Montana separately administer bison hunts outside of Yellowstone National Park.
I think there was a rather poignant and pathetic scene in 'Yellowstone' season one that pretty well covers the thrill of the chase in modern buffalo hunting.
I wouldn’t mind one in the freezer..
As far as being a sport, I think they should be limited to bows or spears.
I would spear hunt on my horses. I would bring my grandsons and son what a trip. Once in a life time. Good luck to those who get to go.
I think they did this a year or 2 back as well.
Don't bring roller skates.
They need to thin out a couple Nat Park elk herds the same way.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As far as being a sport, I think they should be limited to bows or spears.

No cliffs?
Originally Posted by pullit
I think they did this a year or 2 back as well.

It a practice that's been used for many years to protect private land surrounding the park.

Not really a hunt so to speak.
You get on the list and when a Buffalo shows up on the land where a hunt is being hosted F&G calls you and you have to show up within a specific time range.

A F&G representative takes you by the hand, walks you over to the Buffalo in question and says "shoot that one".

Thats how it's been ran in the past unless they've changed the rules.

There are other options for harvesting buffalo but this sounds like their typical controlled damage hunt.
It would be memorable for sure. Hope somebody here gets the chance.
I'll hold out until they offer a Yellowstone Grizzly hunt.
Originally Posted by JeffA
You'll be holding out for a long time. There will never be a lower 48 grizzly hunt. The anti's made mistakes with the wolves and allowed hunts to be legalized. They learned their lessons and got a griz hunt stopped a couple years ago. They now know how to do it and griz hunting is gone forever.

will this end up as the same cluster fuucckk as the Grand Canyon herd hunt ?
I'd like to try it.My .54cal flintlock longrifle or recurve bow might make it a little bit more sporting.I imagine they have weapons restrictions though.
This is letting Montana be the bad guys as there are too many Buffalo in the park. The wolves don't eat enough of them.
To Yellowstone, Buffalo are much like Manatee are to Florida.

It's a cash crop, people flock there to see them and spend lot's of money doing so.

There will never be too many of either for financial reasons.
Originally Posted by StGeorger

Jim Statford
How many go to Yellowstone to watch the tourists get chased?
I think trying to find a buffalo that's not in the park or private property is a tall order. If they want to thin 600, they are going to have to push the buffalo into an area people can shoot.

Last time they thinned the herd at the bison range they gave it all to the tribe. One of my contractors got a couple hind quarters out of the deal, they just quartered them up and handed them out based on tribal status.
Originally Posted by dpd

Jim Statford

Roger Miller
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I think there was a rather poignant and pathetic scene in 'Yellowstone' season one that pretty well covers the thrill of the chase in modern buffalo hunting.

Have you hunted bison? It is not a gimme or a pathetic hunt if they are free range bison. Stalking bison on foot in deep snow is not easy. try it sometime then get back to us.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JeffA
You'll be holding out for a long time. There will never be a lower 48 grizzly hunt. The anti's made mistakes with the wolves and allowed hunts to be legalized. They learned their lessons and got a griz hunt stopped a couple years ago. They now know how to do it and griz hunting is gone forever.

On but things may be changing: https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2021/...proves-tri-state-grizzly-management-moa/
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I wouldn’t mind one in the freezer..

"We're gonna need a bigger freezer."
Martin Brody, circa 1975
as long as it is 45/70 or 50/90 only smile.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by dpd

Jim Statford

Roger Miller

Can't believe this wasn't here yet.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Why would I load down my 45-110 or my 50-140 to whiner loads? My 45-110 & 50-140 have allready.made their buffalo bones so I know they work....mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Why would I load down my 45-110 or my 50-140 to whiner loads? My 45-110 & 50-140 have allready.made their buffalo bones so I know they work....mb

Lighten up those are the only 2 buffalo rounds I know about. Attempting to be sarcastic.
I'll first have to ask Llama_Bob if my 257 Roberts is enough gun for the job.
It's got to be better than the Lance, Tomahawk and Stone Arrows that "Kicking Bird and "Wind in his Hair" used !... Besides, The old timers said the partition bullet made the 257 bob a "Giant Killer"... lol
Way back in my The early 80’s when I was at TAMU, we had a small bison heard on Campus at the Vet School & at our Lab Animal Research Facility doing research on Brucellosis.

My part time job as a lowly caretaker included feeding them and scooping schitt. I was always amazed at how strong they are. They regularly tore the schitt out of the holding pens.

The worst part of that job was feeding all the various primates.
Little schitt slinging bastards ! 🤠

And also being the head mouse and rat executioner.
They kept thousands of mice on hand for DNA research and of course, they are prolific breeders.
Being one of the few guys that worked there, none of the Lady techs wanted the dirty job of disposal, so I usually got stuck doing it on the graveyard shift.
Had to dump them all in a big sealed aquarium and gas them to be “humane”. 🤪
© 24hourcampfire