Home
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Lots. Trout on green frog, bass on black.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Crome blade?
Posted By: Greatlaker Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Cohos in Lake Erie 35-45 years ago on black rooster tails, northerns more recently on chartreuse.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Trout in several states.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I have caught a bunch using them.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Crome blade?

On the Black rooster tail, gold on the green frog.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Use them a lot in the limestone slab creeks here. Most anything will hit them

Topic of many discussions in high school shop class 35 years ago
There are lots if small streams in the area with trout and they love a 1/32oz silver blade/black hackle Roostertail.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Heaven.

Crome blade?

On the Black rooster tail, gold on the green frog.

Thanks.
As a kid it was my go-to for a spinner…caught a 15 1/2 lb. Steelhead the winter of 1975….Hula poppers, pearl finish wobblerites and black rooster tails had my fishing needs covered…
Posted By: Judman Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Great lures, go to around these parts. 👍
Originally Posted by Springcove

Yep. Used them quite a bit in stock tanks and creeks when I was a kid. Caught lots of perch, Bass, crappie, And even the occasional channel cat on them.

Also used the Mepps spinners quite a bit back then too.
And the old Johnson Weedless Silver Spoon too.
Yellow shyster with yellow tail and silver blade works good on bass i a lot of less than real clear Texas creeks.

White on white bass on lakes.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I once laid down a decent rooster tail in the bed that I believed was just a benign fart...Wife wasn’t amused by my Shart.

Sorry for not posting this under Slummy’s thread on taking a dump w/o a shirt on. I was shirtless at the time.

🦫
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I once laid down a decent rooster tail in the bed that I believed was just a benign fart...Wife wasn’t amused by my Shart.

Sorry for not posting this under Slummy’s thread on taking a dump w/o a shirt on. I was shirtless at the time.

🦫

🤦‍♂️
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
As a kid it was my go-to for a spinner…caught a 15 1/2 lb. Steelhead the winter of 1975….Hula poppers, pearl finish wobblerites and black rooster tails had my fishing needs covered…

Hula Poppers on bass? What color. I used frog and yellow skirt.
Yellow shyster with yellow tail and silver blade works good on bass i a lot of less than real clear Texas creeks.

White on white bass on lakes.

I remember catching white bass on them in the local lakes casting them from the shoreline.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Nothing but smallmouth in fast water, but they seemed to like it.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

🤦‍♂️

Yeah....A real proud moment for me. LOL

🦫
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Springcove

Yep. Used them quite a bit in stock tanks and creeks when I was a kid. Caught lots of perch, Bass, crappie, And even the occasional channel cat on them.

Also used the Mepps spinners quite a bit back then too.
And the old Johnson Weedless Silver Spoon too.

Yep. Silver spoon any time you see bass chasing minnows or shad in shallow water.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Love them

Would include them in my top 5 favorites
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Used to slay the smallmouth with them in the South Umpqua River on crawdad (brown)/brass, yellow/brass and black/silver, in that order of preference. Nothing else even came close. They worked on trout in the mountain streams and lakes too.
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
They are just Ok in my book. used them alot but found out the main wire is not that stout. After catching a fish or two they bend and that really screws up the blade from spinning easily. My go 2 spinner is the panther martin. They spin easier, come in many colors and you can really feal it working. Also, the rooster tail sometimes wont spin when retrieved and you have to give a quick jerk on the line during your retrieve to get it spinnin, not with the panther martin. IMO.
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
They are just Ok in my book. used them alot but found out the main wire is not that stout. After catching a fish or two they bend and that really screws up the blade from spinning easily. My go 2 spinner is the panther martin. They spin easier, come in many colors and you can really feal it working. Also, the rooster tail sometimes wont spin when retrieved and you have to give a quick jerk on the line during your retrieve to get it spinnin, not with the panther martin. IMO.

Yep! Same experience here, quit using them went to Martins and Blue Fox.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Lots of bass and bluegill. I haven't noticed the color making any difference, but I'm probably not nearly good enough of a fisherman to be able to tell. wink
Dog Catcher,

You and I must just not know how to fish them. I have part of an old tackle box full of the rusted, corroded, smelly things and they haven't caught much, if anything. I'd take a jig or a small spoon over bucktail spinners any day. Given the choice I'll take a Rapala over everything else.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

I wish I had a quarter for every fish I've caught on Rooster Tails. They are my "go to" lure for creek fishing . Smallies and KY Bass like the smaller ones and I use larger ones for stripers and more open water. I never am without a few Rooster Tails. I usuallu use the White and Yellow ones, but in low light at dusk, Black and darker colors work best.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Orange fluorescent with a gold blade...Caught many fish on then including a few over twenty inch smallmouth and browns up to 7 pounds on Superior. If the blade stops spinning bend it with your fingers until it;s flat
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I’ve got some trout with them.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
A bunch of Ohio steelhead on metallic grey stained water or pink in clear water. Lost a bunch too, gotta be banging the bottom with these steelhead.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I’ve caught a few on Rooster Tails but most of my spinner fishing for trout is done with Panther Martins.

Hula Poppers on bass? What color. I used frog and yellow skirt.

Didn’t seem to matter.
Posted By: Vek Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Black or red, 1/6 or 1/8 oz Is the first lure in the lake when fishing mountain lakes for trout in these parts.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21

I mean, trout hit “shiny things” so it’ll catch fish, and yes I’ve caught a bunch of trout on Rooster Tails. But Panther Martins are the much better mousetrap and I’ve caught orders of magnitude more using them. You can cast them farther, and they catch more fish. Rooster Tails turn into little parachutes when you cast them.

The ocean salmon fishing off the Oregon coast was nuts this year. I caught over 50 of them (for the most part, you can only keep clipped-fin coho salmon, and the ratio is about 3:1 or 4:1 wild/clipped).... you wouldn’t believe the lures those things hit. None of this being line-shy or picky bidness like trout.
Wow! Totally surprised. I'll try them again I guess..

A red/white mepps, orange blade mepps, black panther with yellow dots, and yellow with red dots are my standard spinners.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I use them on the high mountain lakes here and have caught rainbows, browns, brooks and tiger trout with them.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Yep. I've caught a whole mess of sunfish and bluegills on rooster tails - even the odd large-mouth now and then, back when I was a kid.
Posted By: iddave Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21

Ditto
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Rooster tails are my favorite spinner. Caught all species of trout on 'em including the occasional lake trout in the spring when they're shallow, smallmouth, largemouth, spotted bass, white bass, crappie, bream, and saltwater fish too. Barracuda and a couple others. I've even caught a few catfish on 'em.

They're a little more fragile than Mepps and others, the wire shaft is thin and it can get bent. But they seem to spin easier with less speed than the others, which is why I like 'em.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Bunch of everything but never found the tail to be essential.

Just what I had on hand.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21

These were caught on rooster tails this year in NM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Rooster tails are great tool to have in your box. As are Panther Martin's and Mepps spinners. Never underestimate a spoon for certain fishing needs. Everything has it's place. The biggest steelhead I caught, was on a double tail Mr. Twister while walleye fishing below John Day dam on the Columbia River. You just need all the tackle your pocketbook can withstand. Just like guns, can't have to much or too many.
I caught my biggest cutthroat on a Roostertail. I don't know how many trout, bream and white bass with one, but it's a lot.

I usually can the treble hook and put a single on
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

Is that Quemado?
Posted By: Dre Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
I gave all my rooster tails to my kids.
Panther Martins or Thomas Buoyant spoons for me.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21

Wow.... those are toads.... did you really need to kill them?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Is that Quemado?

JellO emerges from the shadows
Posted By: Springcove Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Recovered from his ladder fall and PTSD…
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Younger days caught a bunch of blue gill and pond bass on them. Yellow and purple? Seemed to work best for me.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Dayom. What lake and lure color, pls. Be nice to hit Groundhog Res in Col when up there hunting.

Sometimes TPandW stocks trout in small city lakes in Texas in the spring.
Posted By: fester Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Trout, steelhead, striper…… carp will smack them with their tail and get hooked.
When the fishing gets tough ...I tie on a Rooster tail or a Beetle spin.... I have caught Bass, Bluegill, Catfish and strippers lol.....Works most of the time !!!!!!
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
When the fishing gets tough ...I tie on a Rooster tail or a Beetle spin.... I have caught Bass, Bluegill, Catfish and strippers lol.....Works most of the time !!!!!!

I thought dollars bills only caught strippers?
I’m bringing a tackle box full of rooster tails next time I go to the strip club
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Rooster Tails have been staple in my tackle box for years. I've caught everything from bluegill to catfish to bass on them. And I've used them in ponds, creeks, rivers, and lakes.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I like them for bass. I usually use the 1/4 oz in white or yellow. They can be a little aggravating if the wire gets bent and sometimes the spinner blade doesn't want to spin at all.

A 1/4 oz yellow shyster used to be one of my favorites, but they got really hard to find. They were much more reliable than the Roostertail and the spinner blade much quicker to start spinning on retrieve.
when I was a kid, rooster tails were one of my favorites for bream and bass. caught tons of fish.
I used them a lot as a kid and still fish them occasionally I’ve caught everything from gills to pike on on them.
Posted By: dassa Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I have a friend that swears by them. Never seen him catch a fish on one.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
Rooster tails are my favorite spinner. Caught all species of trout on 'em including the occasional lake trout in the spring when they're shallow, smallmouth, largemouth, spotted bass, white bass, crappie, bream, and saltwater fish too. Barracuda and a couple others. I've even caught a few catfish on 'em.

They're a little more fragile than Mepps and others, the wire shaft is thin and it can get bent. But they seem to spin easier with less speed than the others, which is why I like 'em.

Bingo. Same here , I’ve used them since I was 10 or so
Posted By: rem141r Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
they are killers in my little river. 1/8 oz white with black dots and yellow with white dots. smallmouth, sunnies, rock bass, etc.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by irfubar

Tough to eat them alive.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Tough to eat them alive.

Eating trophy fish... really?
Eat brookies, planter rainbows... long john silvers etc.... most people will never catch 1 rainbow that size in a lifetimes of trout fishing.
Your ego overrides your good judgement

Dayom. What lake and lure color, pls. Be nice to hit Groundhog Res in Col when up there hunting.

1/8th oz black and golds were the ticket that day…. Pretty sure they were stocked, meat was white instead of red…
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Yellow, white, black and brown trout colors work for me for trout.
Conservation is a thing.....
As is greed and selfishness

Tough to eat them alive.

Eat brookies, planter rainbows... long john silvers etc.... most people will never catch 1 rainbow that size in a lifetimes of trout fishing.

Damn man, what do I know about trophy trout… was the first trout I ever caught in my life…

What I did was legal and I have no regrets.

Tough to eat them alive.

Damn man, what do I know about trophy trout… was the first trout I ever caught in my life…

I think I will go to Florida and take a big schit in one of your spring creeks and claim ignorance....

Maybe you should stay in Florida

Tough to eat them alive.

I think I will go to Florida and take a big schit in one of your spring creeks and claim ignorance....

Whatever d*ckhead….
Posted By: pappabear Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Caught a lot of trout on rooster tails.
Posted By: tzone Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I’ve caught tons on them. Bass, bluegill, walleye, pike, If I could only have 3 lures in my tackle box, that would be one of them.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
lots
Any "go to" colors I should try for trout?
Any "go to" colors I should try for trout?

I was informed by a local in NM there‘s only 2 colors… Black and gold and Black and silver…rest was fluff…Gold was for the middle of the day, silver was for the early and late hours.
Posted By: Judman Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Oh your walking a very thin line!!! Your gonna piss off a snowflake, and they’re gonna tell you how to start acting and how to behave!!!! Haha 😂😂
Originally Posted by Judman

Oh your walking a very thin line!!! Your gonna piss off a snowflake, and they’re gonna tell you how to start acting and how to behave!!!! Haha 😂😂

Brother Jud, as sure as the sun comes up I will piss off a snowflake..... smile

WTF is it with people these days? Guess living in Hollywood is giving the dude issues.

WTF is it with people these days? Guess living in Hollywood is giving the dude issues.

You're just jealous because Hollywood is full of beautiful rich people..... smile
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Even back in the day they were used to catch trout in Germany.
I'd cook them over a burning tire.

You're just jealous because Hollywood is full of beautiful rich people..... smile

Whatever…
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Haha 🤣

Haha me too!! I love it!!

PS, I’ll eat a good high mtn brookie, all others get turned back. Salmon are for eating.. 👍

Haha 🤣

Kill and eat them all..... over a burning tire fire....

Are you an indian? I am all for gillnetting the mouth of a river .... after all salmon are yummy .... and valuable.... An indian buy more booze that way.....
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

DITTO. Don't remember ever catching anything on a rooster tail, though I used to try them often on trout before switching to something that works, like Panther Martin, Mepps, Blue Fox or homemade spinners. A friend does well with them but I obviously don't have the knack for rooster tails because I have fished beside him and gotten skunked while using them.

PS, I’ll eat a good high mtn brookie, all others get turned back. Salmon are for eating.. 👍

Mtn brookies are yummy... I am not a catch and release trout snob.... but catch one eat one... simple, killing a stringer full of trophy trout is well.... what an east coaster would do, they should not be allowed in our woods
Posted By: LBP Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Tons of trout, bass and bluegills

Mtn brookies are yummy... I am not a catch and release trout snob.... but catch one eat one... simple, killing a stringer full of trophy trout is well.... what an east coaster would do, they should not be allowed in our woods

Guessing my time deployed in Afghanistan, Iraq and Central America only counts for one state….Damn, just damn… All this hate over catching some stocked trout.

Guessing my time deployed in Afghanistan, Iraq and Central America only counts for one state….Damn, just damn… All this hate over catching some stocked trout.

Oh my ..... and he pulls the hero card.... lmao
So can a vet hunt manatee's ?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
i'd love to blast a manatee. they are so arrogant.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Nice catch.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

And insufferable douche bags....
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
If they’re stocked trout, game on. No different than buying a couple trophy steers to slaughter at the county fair. I’d rather have a Mrs. Paul’s fish stick than a Fugkin rainbow trout.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'd love to blast a manatee. they are so arrogant.

Place I lived in Key largo always had manatees out by the dock. Guy that owned the complex was always bringing lettuce, cabbage, greens from the grocery store dumpster home to feed them. They Smell like hell.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

And insufferable douche bags....

Shusssh..... I was hoping for a bite.... smile

1/8th oz black and golds were the ticket that day…. Pretty sure they were stocked, meat was white instead of red…

Thanks. I need to try a stocked lake. Never did any trout fishing.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If they’re stocked trout, game on. No different than buying a couple trophy steers to slaughter at the county fair. I’d rather have a Mrs. Paul’s fish stick than a Fugkin rainbow trout.

Ok I get it.... kinda like a high fence hunting operation..... my bad.... carry on ... internet hero's smile

🤮🤮fun to catch, ain’t worth a shiit to eat. Carry on

🤮🤮fun to catch, ain’t worth a shiit to eat. Carry on

Put and take fisheries are great for flatlanders.... your tax dollars at work... I will take my trout wild, thank you
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Work great on spawning white bass.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]
Posted By: scrooster Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

I used-to tear the small mouth bass and crappy up on Lake Murray and the two Santee Cooper lakes .... Rooster Tails are great spinner baits.

I actually had a garr hit one at Maddox Bay Arkansas years ago. I watched him do it right up close to the boat.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
We crush peacock bass down here with them, along with road runners, beetle spins, crappie jigs, etc. Anything small, fast and shiny gets et.
Posted By: Futura Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I’ve caught quite a few trout with them and some sort of bass looking fish. And I suck at fishing so they can’t be all that bad.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
What a coincidence...

75* today, too hot to hunt.

Hit the small creek that i grew up fishing on.

Big enough for paddlin a johnboat.

Mostly all i fish is rooster tails.

I’ll catch both bream and bass with them.

Usually bright colors as the water will be dingy at best.

4 bass today.

Throw em with a #20 plueger president and UL ugly stik.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
dim som brims an shell crakas grin
Posted By: tx270 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

And rgrx1276 it is pretty obvious by their colors, or lack of, they are stocked fish. They probably stock that lake every year with similar for a put and take fishery. Some "experts" here obviously don't know chit or they would see that too, or they are just jealous because they have never caught even one that big.
Good for you rgx, hope they tasted great.

Bill
Posted By: tx270 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Oh and for the OP, I've lost count of the fish of different species I've caught on Rooster Tails.

Bill
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Damn, those are fat! The rooster tails I have in my tackle box don't do so well. They seem to have attracted me more than the fish. The most productive spinners seem to be plain jane brass blue fox for me. In any case, the only freshwater salmonids I eat these days are Kokanee and Brookies.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I think I caught a handful of grayling on them, but I haven't flung hardware at the waters since I learned to use a flyrod.
Posted By: DMc Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Go to lure for me. Tons of small bass and perch using yellow, black, white, & Chartreuse, (in that order).

Doubt id do much eating them as ive had smaller ones caught by a friend. He didn't cornmeal fry them so i was still hungry for fried fish the next day. I needed some smallish white bass, black bass, crappie, catfish or speckled trout rolled in buttermilk and cornmeal and fried.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Tag
Trophy trout tastes good- - - - -so does ivory-billed woodpecker!
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Growing up, one of my favorite lures was a Rooster Tail....although it wasn't the lure I used the most. As kids, we always fished the local beaver dam ponds, which had a lot of underwater brush and snags. I simply couldn't afford to lose a Rooster Tail, so I primarily used black/yellow Beetle Spins...it took a little more work to get one of those hung up, and when you did, they were only $0.69/each (versus $2 for the Roosters).
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Rooster tails are manufactured here about thirty miles from me. At least that was where they started. My older sister worked for them in the early years. Back then the employees got first pick of the blems or stuff that didn't make the grade.

That girl brought home handfuls of lures.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Many, many fishes on yellow and white spotted rooster tails! Many more on purple beetlespins.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Jason280
Growing up, one of my favorite lures was a Rooster Tail....although it wasn't the lure I used the most. As kids, we always fished the local beaver dam ponds, which had a lot of underwater brush and snags. I simply couldn't afford to lose a Rooster Tail, so I primarily used black/yellow Beetle Spins...it took a little more work to get one of those hung up, and when you did, they were only $0.69/each (versus $2 for the Roosters).

I swam out and got my hooks back. I went fishing with 1 hook and brought it back or a story of the one that got away. Now I got tackle like I'm obsessed and I don't think I have more fun. Maybe a little more fun.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Great lures. I like the 1/4 oz (or so) yellow body, black spots ones for smallmouth, and the 1/8 oz (or so, anyway the little biddy ones) with the white body and black spots for trout.

Tough to eat them alive.

Those look like last years planters in several lakes around here. We eat every one we catch.

Rooster tails? Until 1980, I thought fish were caught from the bank with a worm. Then I discovered the joy of trolling with spinner baits.

Lots of love here for Panthers. I have a few in the tackle box, but don't think I have ever caught a fish on one. My son loves them.

Blue Fox is a cheap imitation of a Mepps. If you are trolling, spend the extra money for the Mepps. The Blue Foxes twist and tangle lines. You spend more time untangling and respooling the kids fishing rigs than they spend fishing. And yes there is a ball bearing swivel ahead of every spinner tossed from my boat.

So, for us, it is Mepps, or Rooster tails, or hard baits, whether we are casting or trolling. Not so much for panfish, Crappie get plastic jigs, bluegill get worms.

A certain high mountain lake, just as the snow goes off the passes and it is first accessible in late June, we have found the trout bellies to be full of what appears to be black ants. You can catch a limit in short order with a white or yellow body rooster tail with a broken black pattern which resembles a segmented insect.

Trout, smallmouth, and squawfish will all bend your rod snatching a rooster tail. The roostertail, with the willowleaf blade is a little harder to initialize spin. I always sweep the rod forward to make it start spinning. Rooster tails require a bit faster trolling speed to make them work than do Mepps.

For slow retrieve, bouncing off the bottom, a Mepps works better.

And then there is another favorite mountain reservoir around Labor Day, in which the trout will bite nothing but a wedding ring spinner with green beads and blades, and a worm. Fish be funny critters.

Haha 🤣

Kill and eat them all..... over a burning tire fire....

Are you an indian? I am all for gillnetting the mouth of a river .... after all salmon are yummy .... and valuable.... An indian buy more booze that way.....

Those trout would have been stuffed inside a young seal before going over the tire fire.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
You must be fishing in cesspools! laugh
Lots of good info on this thread. Thanks
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
I've fished them since the early 70's. Caught hundreds of trout on them since then. All with either a 1/8 oz or 1/16 oz rainbow trout body with gold blade and a red/yellow body with a gold blade. I used to order cards of them at a local Ace Hardware back in the day.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Thats been my experience too.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Fooking trout and the catch and release fly fishing brigade.
Most are stockers. If not, doubt it’s in the regs to keep them. They eat like schit regardless.

Anyway, nice fish!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Caught Bass of more than one kind, trout, catfish and drum on them.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by fester
Trout, steelhead, striper…… carp will smack them with their tail and get hooked.

We used to fish the N. Fork of the Shenandoah for smallmouth. In the spring the carp would be up in the shallows sunning and every now and then you'd snag one on the dorsal fin. For a few seconds there, it would fell like a state record bass and then you'd realize it was a carp, what a letdown. A 10-lb fish hooked on the dorsal with an ultralight spinning rod will give you a tussle though.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Never had as much luck getting a Rooster Tail to catch fish like say a Panther Martin. Oh sure, Roosters will catch fish, especially bass, which hit about anything, but I'd sooner have one Panther Martin over 10 Roosters.

Anymore though, I don't use spinners much for trout because stocked trout are way down the good-eating list and if you catch a trout on a spinner its usually done for and has to go in the cooler.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
PMs spin more reliably. The blade of a RT needs a faster retrieve or sometimes a quick snap to start spinning.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
My go to graying lure !
Posted By: longarm Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Lonny
Never had as much luck getting a Rooster Tail to catch fish like say a Panther Martin. Oh sure, Roosters will catch fish, especially bass, which hit about anything, but I'd sooner have one Panther Martin over 10 Roosters.

100% .
I either use ones Ive put together or the venerable black and gold PM.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Dogcatcher223: I have been using them (successfully!) for over 60 (sixty!) years now.
They are especially good for Rainbow and Brook Trout - in my extensive experience.
I always have some Roostertails along on my fishing ventures.
I have even caught Grayling using them in both Montana and Alaska.
When fishing Grayling infested lakes and streams here in Montana I remove the treble hooks and replace them with barbless single hooks as most places here in Montana require catch and release on Grayling.
Try'em again - in the long run I think you'll like them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
firststrikelures.com and randblures.com both make very good components if interested in twisting up your own
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dogcatcher223: I have been using them (successfully!) for over 60 (sixty!) years now.
They are especially good for Rainbow and Brook Trout - in my extensive experience.
I always have some Roostertails along on my fishing ventures.
I have even caught Grayling using them in both Montana and Alaska.
When fishing Grayling infested lakes and streams here in Montana I remove the treble hooks and replace them with barbless single hooks as most places here in Montana require catch and release on Grayling.
Try'em again - in the long run I think you'll like them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Post a pic a fish you caught with a rooster tail

Or better, easier...post a pic of a rooster tail lure right now in your tackle box.

If you cannot or won’t then resign yourself to be just like one of the other mouthy foucks like Slavek or Elkslayer.

Thing is you haven’t seen your tackle box since probably the last time you were able to even see your dick. Maybe 1978?? lol

Ya fûck

Let me go ahead add your name to the useless dickhead thread.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Jake's Stream A Lure is way better than a spinner that looks like it got in the moss.
Posted By: yar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Black rooster tail best lure ever.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by longarm
firststrikelures.com and randblures.com both make very good components if interested in twisting up your own

Thank you! You just helped me find a Christmas present for my son. Appreciate the info.
Posted By: shaman Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21

Yes, and my absolute favorite is the smallest ones (1/32 oz) with the propeller spinner. I use them on short striking fish as an extra dropper behind a larger spoon or other lure. The combination is deadly on bass, rainbows, walleye, and panfish.
Posted By: montrose91 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/05/21
Panther martin guy here, but I have been known to slum it with a rooster tail and even catch a fish with one from time to time.
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by longarm

Thank you! You just helped me find a Christmas present for my son. Appreciate the info.

Lonny,
You bet. They make make great lures.
One of those has a bell-shaped lure body like blue fox. If you like blue fox lures you are going to love these because they're solid brass and very heavy, so they cast and sink well.. unlike the original blue fox
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Fooking trout and the catch and release fly fishing brigade.
Most are stockers. If not, doubt it’s in the regs to keep them. They eat like schit regardless.

Anyway, nice fish!

Well since your state ruined it's trout fishing decades ago and have had to resort to put and take tax payer funded fishery.
My state, Montana is desperately trying trying to conserve a vital natural resource that is a huge driver in our economy.
Franky I am sick and tired of fuggin Washintonians coming here and exploiting our resources.
Wild trout are a fragile and special resource and deserve to be preserved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw424ImpO3k
Posted By: kingfisher Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
They have been my go to Brook Trout lure since the mids 70's. I add a chunk of crawler to the hook for wait casting and smell.
My favorite colors are chartreuse and black.
Posted By: las Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21

My experience also.
Posted By: specialK Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Caught more on a Kastmaster. Panther Martin too.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
If I could chose one lure for all species of freshwater fish in North American it would a be a Rooster Tail or Little Cleo spoon. They seem to work on most everything. I used to buy the 1/16 oz gold blade brown body for East Tennessee mountain trout. It works like a charm.
I used to use the purple ones a lot, but they discontinued that color.
Pike and small mouth really liked them.
Posted By: Brad Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
My favorite on highcountry trout...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21

Susquehanna River smallmouths on white Rooster Tails back in the day.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Brad

Nice. I like 'em cooked in foil, right on the coals.
Posted By: killerv Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Grew up on those things, we lived on a golf course and it would be me and my bike, a rod across the handle bars, and small tackle box of rooster tails going around to all those golf course ponds. Caught many a bass, brim, and some crappy on them.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21

Healthy Cutthroat! Miss catching those & enjoying the pink meat
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
They look the same, but IMO same size and color , same lake, same day, rooster tail/ panther martin...the panther martin will outfish the rooster tail 2 to 1. Kokanee, rainbow and brookies, non hatchery fish. There are some cavitation dimples in the spinner, maybe that has something to do with it. My test subject is an 11 year old master angler.
Posted By: centershot Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Humm, seems we were always talking about girls....
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Plenty of trout on yellow but I seem to do better with Panther Martins. Both good IMO they cast well and have enough weight to get down to the fish.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Healthy Cutthroat! Miss catching those & enjoying the pink meat

In the high lakes here (above timberline) they're not pink, no crustaceans up that high. But they're still really good to eat.
Posted By: ccd Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21
One of my favorites for Texas Hill Country streams and stock tanks was the 1/32 propeller in chartreuse.
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/06/21

Try the inline vibric rooster tails. You won't have the issue with them.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by specialK
Caught more on a Kastmaster. Panther Martin too.

Kast masters are a favorite. I’ve had good luck swinging them like a traditional spoon for steelhead and slow rolling them for warm water fish like bass and even walleye.

The PM are great too. Black with either a copper or silver blade. One is getting hit, switch blade color. Killed a bunch of trout with them👍
Trout make great bait for halibut.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/07/21

That is probably the highest best use of those Washington planter trash fish..... your tax dollars at work.... hahahahhahahahaha

That is probably the highest best use of those Washington planter trash fish..... your tax dollars at work.... hahahahhahahahaha

Yep.

And here you are bitching about trout caught in a pond in New Mexico. Lol.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/07/21

Yep.

And here you are bitching about trout caught in a pond in New Mexico. Lol.

Hey now, I acknowledged I was mistaken and assumed they were wild trout...
Lol. All good man.

I love catching wild freestone river trout. Little native cutthroat in Colorado or native brookies in GA.

Don’t keep many, if any at all, just because I don’t enjoy eating them.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21

I didn’t know that is what caused the flesh color to change! Nice factoid!

I fished for years in the Wind River & Bridger Wliderness out of Pinedale, Wy. Specifically Trappers Lake to up near Green River Crossing and even up to Elbow Lake near the CD but those were mostly Goldens. So tasty over a willow fire.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
They work. In a wide variety of applications and species. Brookies to muskelunge. Everything in between. There’s a pattern, size, and color for anything. I keep some in every box. Particularly good for tying into novice lines. Kids. When you just have to have something biting anything to keep the attention span on-point. I’m more into trolling spoons and collect vintage suttons for salmonoids. But, if you’re gonna cast, they’re the original ‘Spinnerbait’. I like jigging ice with bucktails.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
We DO have native EBT’s and LL salmon in Maine and parts of NH as well. It is a rare resource, but it’s not exclusive to the west..
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21

Yep, they put ground up shrimp shells in farm-raised fish feed to give the flesh color.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
For table fare , there is a long list of fish that eat better than trout
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21

Yep, they put ground up shrimp shells in farm-raised fish feed to give the flesh color.

And/or dyes...
Posted By: fester Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
I wish I took more pics or a single one lol

Nice pics gents.
Posted By: fester Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
For table fare , there is a long list of fish that eat better than trout

Ocean or river striper are my favorite.

Halibut. Cod. Tuna. Trout. Salmon.

Fug catfish……. Yuk.
Posted By: las Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/08/21
worms. worms work. Never caught a fish on a rooster tail, despite much trying.

Stupid fish....
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/09/21
Read that someone mentioned kastmasters. They work great, cast a mile even in wind and can be twitched while being retrieved. switch out the stock treble for a gamakatsu and you have a fish catching machine if used properly.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/09/21
Giant Springs, Bitterroot, Big Springs and Ennis Hatchery's , come to mind as Montana fish hatchery's. There may be others I'm not sure. Like all western states Montana, screwed the pooch on trout fisheries before anyone here was born. Brooke's are an invasive species to all western states. Just keeping things straight. And rooster tails work everywhere one might go, as well as many others.
Posted By: fester Re: Rooster Tail lures... - 12/09/21
Originally Posted by las
worms. worms work. Never caught a fish on a rooster tail, despite much trying.

Stupid fish....

😂

The money I have wasted trying
© 24hourcampfire