Home
Had a scare at deer camp last night. One of my hunting buddies was unloading his Remington 700 ADL and he had an "unintentional discharge". He said he started to lift the bolt and the gun went off. The bullet went into the ground and nobody was hurt as he was holding it muzzle down. He said it happened several years ago too. It's an older model chambered in 7mm Express. (Now it's called a 280)
My question is, what is the range of serial numbers/years where this was a problem and what was the remedy?
Also, with Remington under new management, can he still get it fixed?
Thanks.
Put a TriggerTech in it and be done with it.
For the peace of mind, spend the money on a quality trigger. It’s not worth using a rifle you know could AD when the trigger is not pressed. I doubt he will be able to get a replacement from Remington now that it’s changed hands.
Originally Posted by kingston

^^^^this^^^^
Get a new trigger. Timney, Jewel, TriggerTech. Lots of vids how to do it yourself. I did. Easy-peasy. 15 min. job.

No, I am not a gunsmith.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Had a scare at deer camp last night. One of my hunting buddies was unloading his Remington 700 ADL and he had an "unintentional discharge". He said he started to lift the bolt and the gun went off. The bullet went into the ground and nobody was hurt as he was holding it muzzle down. He said it happened several years ago too. It's an older model chambered in 7mm Express. (Now it's called a 280)
My question is, what is the range of serial numbers/years where this was a problem and what was the remedy?
Thanks.

NOTHING Remington will do is a good option... EVEN if they agreed to install a new trigger... it would require a gym membership to built up the strength to pull it... Research the topic and replace it... AND THROW THE OLD ONE IN THE TRASH IMMEDIATELY.
Or pull the old trigger and clean it with brake cleaner ! After cleaning douse it with lighter fluid and reassemble. Make sure he’s not using so much oil on the bolt it runs down into the trigger. Yes the old style trigger was prone to failure but it took dirt and dried oil to get it there. I’m all for a new trigger but even the much better triggers are susceptible to failures from poor maintenance.
I wouldn’t send anything back to Remington except maybe a box of dog poop cleverly disguised as a brick of Thunderboolitz sick
If it were me, I would consider it my obligation to immediately fix a gun with a trigger that dispenses AD's.

IMO, He should have fixed it after the first time that happened.
Why, in the midst of a hunting group, would one quibble over the cost of rendering a firearm permanently & reliably safe?

Have had one family member killed by a firearm whose muzzle was pointed in the wrong direction. Had one acquaintance killed by his own son due to an errant pointed muzzle.

Reliable triggers are cheap by comparison.
Give your buddy a pat on the back and tell him thanks for having control of the muzzle.

Tell him to just put a trigger tech in it as well.
Has the trigger been adjusted?
Clean it well using lighter fluid.
There are some good instructions online
Thanks for all the quick replies.
Does this look like a good option?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373?pid=784840
Remington triggers do need periodic cleaning. Glad to hear nobody was hurt. Thank God Alec Baldwin didn’t get hold of it.
My Walker trigger didn’t start ‘firing’ when disengaging the safety until after I flushed it with lighter fluid.
Dump the Walker trigger and install a TriggerTech, or the one above mentioned, make sure it has a bolt release.
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Remington ( or a kid with a screwdriver) didn't have anything to do with that "unintentional discharge". Those don't happen when you are opening the bolt.

Unfortunately, the "remedy" is not one you want to hear.
I never oil my rem 700's triggers because they gunk up like any trigger, but a 700 gunked up trigger is no good.
Pressurized air from my air tank blown through the bottom of trigger & top of safety & bolt release will make sure it stays clean.

The summary indicate that it will fit. Go for it. I would set the trigger pressure at 3.25 - 3.50 lbs.
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I wouldn’t send anything back to Remington except maybe a box of dog poop cleverly disguised as a brick of Thunderboolitz sick

LOL! #truth....

Yes that will work. Or he can call Timney and he can tell them the trigger pull weight he wants and they will set it and send him the trigger.
I have done that several times they set it like I want it and all I do is install it. Easy peasy.

Deans
This year antelope hunting a friend had a 700 go off when he took the safety off. I was walking behind him and he was setting up for a shot. Bullet hit the dirt mere feet in front of him. I detest any box trigger but have to admit it could be partially because of poor maintenance. The gun is 40 years old and has never been taken apart and cleaned.
I had a 300wm that i bought in high school back in the late 80s. it was a bdl custom deluxe and it shot 1/2 inch moa with rem core-lokt 180gr ammo. I could not believe it but the thing just shot good. during elk season we were all in a small area during elk season(spike only, unicorn as we call them here) when all of a sudden the fog rolled in and then the elk started running around not knowing what was going on. I dont know why but it was crazy. Every elk in the area seemed like they were around us. thre was a herd of about 40 that came into the small meadow i was watching and they all froze dead center in the middle. the guy next to me shot and wounded a cow. that split the herd a little and there were like 4 spikes in the herd and the stupid one steps forward enough to give me a shot and one and done. it started to rain and my buds helped me with game cart to get animal out but one of the had a 7mm mag that keep fogging up so we switch guns so i can take it back to camp and he can hunt with mine. long story short, he come back to camp with everyone else and hands me my gun, i take the saftey off to unload the gun and it discharges into the ground. I sold the gun for cheap not knowing any better. wish i would have thought of a after market triger.Damn good rifle,but heavy.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Has the trigger been adjusted?
Clean it well using lighter fluid.
There are some good instructions online

Not a chance I mess with it, buy a better trigger and be done.
Wish i did buy a new trigger but hind site is 20/20 i guess.

Originally Posted by prplbkrr

The summary indicate that it will fit. Go for it. I would set the trigger pressure at 3.25 - 3.50 lbs.

Exactly....this is a good option. First couple of years I had both my sons starting hunting I had 3 different Remington 700s in 270, 243, and 7mm08. Managing ammo and guns with everyone having something different was a pain so I bought both my sons Rem 700 270w mountain rifles. I have the 700 titanium also in 270w. A few years ago one of my sons rifles discharged as I was taking the safety off, I had it pointed up in the air and away from everybody. Scared the hell out of me. That Christmas I bought Timney triggers for all 3 of our rifles and installed them and set at 3.5 lbs. That was the one and only time I've had that happen and for over 50 yrs I've owned other Remington rifles in Model 7 and 722 and I've replaced those triggers with the Timney also
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
I had a 300wm that i bought in high school back in the late 80s. it was a bdl custom deluxe and it shot 1/2 inch moa with rem core-lokt 180gr ammo. I could not believe it but the thing just shot good. during elk season we were all in a small area during elk season(spike only, unicorn as we call them here) when all of a sudden the fog rolled in and then the elk started running around not knowing what was going on. I dont know why but it was crazy. Every elk in the area seemed like they were around us. thre was a herd of about 40 that came into the small meadow i was watching and they all froze dead center in the middle. the guy next to me shot and wounded a cow. that split the herd a little and there were like 4 spikes in the herd and the stupid one steps forward enough to give me a shot and one and done. it started to rain and my buds helped me with game cart to get animal out but one of the had a 7mm mag that keep fogging up so we switch guns so i can take it back to camp and he can hunt with mine. long story short, he come back to camp with everyone else and hands me my gun, i take the saftey off to unload the gun and it discharges into the ground. I sold the gun for cheap not knowing any better. wish i would have thought of a after market triger.Damn good rifle,but heavy.

That story is believable. The "lifting the bolt" story is not.
If your Rem 700 rifle "accidentally discharged" ....

that translates to ...... YOU fu c k ed up & any damage sustained is 100% YOUR responsibility .....

STOP trying to blame others for your inherent, complete & absolute stupidity
Even if it's an ADL you don't need to go into battery to unload this weapon.
Sorry you had a discharge "incamp" I'm very grateful no one was hurt.

Wishing you all the best.

This guy should install an after-market trigger. I know you already heard that.

Take care, thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully this may help someone else.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by fishingnut71

That story is believable. The "lifting the bolt" story is not.

^^^^^^^^^^
This
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If it were me, I would consider it my obligation to immediately fix a gun with a trigger that dispenses AD's.

Gee, Ya think???
I had an old one I bought. Ran the bolt on it and when I took the safety off the firing pin dropped. The trigger was so gummed up with varnish it was stuck. So it was basically stuck in the fire position. Soaked it in kroil for a few days and then flushed it out and then it worked as intended.
As others have said, 700’s are reputed to fire when the safety is taken off, not when the bolt is lifted.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
As others have said, 700’s are reputed to fire when the safety is taken off, not when the bolt is lifted.

I've seen it (off safety fire) happen once, and once was enough. The issue was dealt with the next day.
If he really wants it fixed, Get him to have a Gentry 3 Position safety installed. Slightly pricey, but peace of mind is a good thing and accidently killing someone is not good. . With the Gentry he can unload it with the safety on and the firing pin blocked. Those ADL's have to have every round shucked out to unload them.
I used to have a pic on my phone of a guys leg about blown off below the knee. you guessed it , Model 700 270Win. Ugly wound and he about bled to death.
Old Sorry Azz Chuck gets lots of those discharges while watching movies like The 300.
If he wants to replace the trigger a Trigger Tech is the way to go. However, two things wrong here;1 he hit the trigger lifting the bolt and either did not realize it or won’t admit it, 2 why was he clearing a rifle in camp when it should have been cleared before that?
GreggH
I had one I bought in 1979, that did that several times....

I only used it when I was out by myself, before I got wise and just took out the trigger and replaced it....
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Gee, Ya think???

Yes. I do. Sometimes the obvious can't be overstated.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Or pull the old trigger and clean it with brake cleaner ! After cleaning douse it with lighter fluid and reassemble. Make sure he’s not using so much oil on the bolt it runs down into the trigger. Yes the old style trigger was prone to failure but it took dirt and dried oil to get it there. I’m all for a new trigger but even the much better triggers are susceptible to failures from poor maintenance.

If I were going to pull the old trigger for an extensive cleaning like that I'd just go ahead and replace it. It's more than just a safety issue it will give him a far better trigger as well. Simple as dirt to do as well.
All of my Remington rifles have Timney triggers, except for the most recent purchase. It will have a Timney in the near future.
Happened to me once on closing the bolt. All my 700s have timney triggers.
This happened to me as well. I picked up a .243 700 from our DNR confiscate auction a few years ago. While sighting in a scope it went off upon closing the bolt.
I called Remington and gave the serial number, they said it was not on the recall list but send it back anyway. I did send it with hopeful instructions on the new trigger pull weight.
Remington nailed it. New trigger is perfect with no creep. They also re-blued it. While gone those 6 weeks I had the stock gone over. Today it’s one of the prettiest and most accurate guns in my gun room.
The only thing off now is the bolt did not get re-blued. That’s going to Ahlmans soon to be finished up.
Remington certainly did right by me.

Osky
Do the Model 7 rifles from around 1997-98 have the autofire trigger or no?? Don’t own a 700 so nothing to compare to.
So people who are too stupid to flush their trigger once a year or adjust the pull weight so low that the sear will not hold it when the bolt is closed ,blame Remington for a faulty product.The truth is they should not own a Remington or any fire arm.You can`t cure stupid.
I prefer the ADL.

Learned the bump n flip as a kid w a 660.
You dont fully chamber the other rounds to get em out

Not hard.

But every year I see folks w BDL/ ADL at the range cranking the bolt like a madman to chamber/ then unchamber the remaining rounds to unload

SMDH

Also seen folks bump triggers and not know it when closing bolts.

Had a 28 oz trigger on one, unloaded and guy wanted to test it and it tripped when he closed the bolt. I was watching and indeed he bumped the trigger. He didnt feel it so claimed it must not have happened.

But I fuggin watched for it.

Off the trigger isnt same as out of the trigger guard.
Dude muat have thought so as he drug the side of trigger w index.

How many people have done same?

Bought two Rem rifles w unsafe triggers. One the guy said he set the M7 light, close the bolt slow. Idiot. You can only set a trigger as low as it can safely go. Stack up of tolerances or whatever, you dont pick a value and let things be.

I always changed springs on my Walkers. No problems.

The other was a 600 set so bad, and dumped at a shop by somebody never seen before- and he didnt disclose yje problem ( gee wonder why ).

Good thing I bought it and fixed it.

Somebody else might not and a tragedy happen.

My 35 rem 760 was from 63. Bought it two or 3 yrs ago and it took me 2 hrs to clean the trigger group. Whatever they used had solidified like pink plastic, all over.

Got a Smith m60 non functional. Innards totally shelllacked.
Proly used wd40 and tossed in a drawer for 30 yrs.
Gun cleaned up like new smile

People on avg dont maintain their stuff.
Got nice big manufacturers to blame.

Haven't read past the initial post, but was wondering what the over-under was going to be for posts denying that it ever happens or if it does, it is entirely because some idiot had his finger on the trigger or otherwise caused it to happen.
I ain't buying it happened when the bolt was lifted either. I also don't know why anyone would fully chamber rounds to unload.
Not saying it doesnt happen (legit issue- mech devices can fail ).
Am saying the overwhelming majority are relatives of Alec Baldwin.

They fugged up and didnt know it ( or wont adnit it ).
Then theres improper adj or maintenance.
Nothing like dropping $800 on a gun that also needs a $150 trigger. There is no bigger POS than an M700.
Thanks.

Tell him to buy a quality after market trigger and get it installed. It is a sure fire fix for the Remington trigger problems. The Remington triggers work great until the get some years of gunk and dirt from old oils, etc. built up. If you don't know what you're doing, it just better to get an improved trigger and forget about it. I got me a Timney, which I like, but there's other brands that people speak highly about.
I bought from a pawn shop, for a very good price, a H-S Precision custom 700 rifle that would fire every time when the safety was released. The price dropped very fast when it was demonstrated to the shop owner.

Bruce
How come these accidental discharges all have one common denominator? Walks like a duck ,quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, must be a duck.
And yes my one and only Remington rifle, a Sportsman 78 in .243 has done it before. I don't load it until I'm ready to shoot it. In fact I dont shoot it very often, to many nice Winchesters Mausers, and Mark II Rugers that the safety works on.
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I ain't buying it happened when the bolt was lifted either. I also don't know why anyone would fully chamber rounds to unload.

Saw it happen, on bolt lift at deer camp some twenty years ago. I was stand a few feet away, guys finger was no where near the trigger. Could not repeat it on a empty chamber. Chambered an empty case and it tripped the firing pin 50% of the time.

Go figure.
Why are some in here getting so angry and in denial of a faulty product? I promise you, remington made a chit product. We owned one in 222 rem that would fire when the safety was taken off. The trigger was never modified. The gun was properly maintained. It was just a faulty product. Gun was given to a smith to have a different trigger installed and the problem never showed its face again. I was a younging when i first saw it happen. That gun is still in the family and has never had an issue since getting the trigger replaced. Been a good 25 years now
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Why are some in here getting so angry and in denial of a faulty product? I promise you, remington made a chit product. We owned one in 222 rem that would fire when the safety was taken off. The trigger was never modified. The gun was properly maintained. It was just a faulty product. Gun was given to a smith to have a different trigger installed and the problem never showed its face again. I was a younging when i first saw it happen. That gun is still in the family and has never had an issue since getting the trigger replaced. Been a good 25 years now

Good question and good point.
What’s everyone’s wait times on the trigger tech Black Friday deal? 1 month/2?
My 300 mag went off once when I knocked the safety off to unload, scared the [bleep] out of me. After that I had the trigger changed to timney, been great since.
If my hunting buddy had that happen, and told me it happened before, he would no longer be my hunting buddy.
Originally Posted by kingston
That.. And take that original Rem trigger and find a deep spot in the nearest lake for its final resting place..
All I know on forty or so years of owning a 700ADL I never had it happen, and did eventually lighten the trigger myself as I wanted it at around 3 lbs, never a problem, and none of my relatives or friends with them have had trouble except one friend pulled the bolt handle off his in 300 win mag.

But it never hurts to read about issues, and maybe make one a little more careful in case it might happen.
Several absolute facts:
Remington paid off on a lawsuit where a woman shot and killed her son. Belk tested the trigger and was unable to make it repeat the event. Remington paid off because of the risks involved in front of a jury. Belk did not do firearm owners any favors. Especially when he went to the MSM. Belk is a POS.

Walker triggers are far from the only triggers with a history
.... considering the sheer numbers of 700 triggers out there compared to any other, do the math...

Vitually any trigger can be Bubba'd to fire when the safety is released.

I have yet to see or hear of an AD with any empty chamber...
I have no issues with the Walker trigger, although I guess anyone dumb enough could make one "dangerous." I did have one "bad 700" cross my workbench, but it was one of those that had only been "cleaned" at the end of deer season. Action never out of the stock, not even when it got dunked. It was brown with minor pitting at all the contact points, with dried muck in the barrel channel. All I did was pull the housing, park it in solvent for a few hours, rinse it, blow it dry, oil and reinstall. Excellent trigger, actually, and after I got rid of the copper mine in the barrel, an excellent rifle.

The biggest problem with Remingtons is, they aren't totally idiot-proof, and there are lots of idiots in our world.

I never hunt with a loaded chamber anyway, with any firearm, unless I can see shootable meat within range. That has worked well for me.

Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Get a new trigger. Timney, Jewel, TriggerTech. Lots of vids how to do it yourself. I did. Easy-peasy. 15 min. job.

No, I am not a gunsmith.

This ! Buddy had a 243 win do this recently,so fugging scary . I have a 721 that had issues and it sits in the safe trigger less. It's a 270 so no loss !
I've never heard of à remington 700 with a timney trigger failing they must be idiot proof. But I couldn't say because I don't have enough information to make an absolute statement.
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
I've never heard of à remington 700 with a timney trigger failing they must be idiot proof. But I couldn't say because I don't have enough information to make an absolute statement.

I much prefer a Walker trigger over a Timney. That is only because I have a lot of experience with both... I have many examples of both currently.
I'm kinda cheap and have a few guns so I go with the Timney. Tell me what you like about the Walker and price. Thanks
I wouldn’t hunt with “ole sausage fingers” again

Holyfugk
© 24hourcampfire