Home
or Bobby Goldsboro
Sunshine on my shoulders John [bleep] Denver?

Give me Glen Campbell any day of the week
Neither……
Posted By: DMc Re: John Denver or Glenn Campbell? - 12/05/21
Pretty similar artist. But with Glen Campbell being the more masculine of the two, I'd give him the nod.
Not only was Glen Campbell a better singer, he was one of the most gifted musicians of the modern era and a core member of the wrecking crew. On top of that he hosted TV shows and even did a bit of acting.
And now ....the sound of John Denver being strangled...” you came on my pillow...” then sounded like piano wire and gurgling

Used to be a promo between commercials on WKDF rock in Nashville

😂😂
Campbell was a better guitar player and pilot.
Glen Campbell was a much better performer, Denver was a much better songwriter.
John Denver was a dumb s hit.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/celebs/denver.htm
Originally Posted by K1500
Not only was Glen Campbell a better singer, he was one of the most gifted musicians of the modern era and a core member of the wrecking crew. On top of that he hosted TV shows and even did a bit of acting.

As did John Denver. Remember “Oh God” with George Burns as God. Had his on TV show. too.
Neither were good actors.
Both were great songwriters and good singers. Glen was a much better Guitar picker.
I like some of Denver’s songs, but Glen was far and away a better musician. He was a great guitarist.
Campbell, it ain't even close.

Not only was Glen Campbell a better singer, he was one of the most gifted musicians of the modern era

Glen Campbell was a damn fine guitar player. He was greatly respected in that regard by performers in even some pretty hard edged bands. Before he hit it big as a solo performer the list of bands and famous singers he either toured with or helped to record albums in the studio is not only long but amazing in it's diversity.
If Campbell had not accepted his Texas waddie role in "True Grit"... that movie would have flopped like a flounder... instantly.

So... GC FTW... every time...
Denver. Talented, and he was a very nice guy. I sang with him on several occasions. Got to shoot the crap with him too. Nice guy.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
If Campbell had not accepted his Texas waddie role in "True Grit"... that movie would have flopped like a flounder... instantly.

So... GC FTW... every time...

...and if Henry Hathaway had let GC sing a bunch... True Grit would have become a smash hit forever.
Cambell, hands down, no comparison
Personally Glen Campbells Country Boy is a favorite. John Denvers Country Roads is worn out in this state but I enjoy Rocky Mountain High. John isn’t on my playlist, Glen is.

Oh, and Crystal Gayle sitting nexrt to him.

Gentle on My Mind is one of my favorite songs.

''Through cupped hands, round a tin can
I pretend to hold you to my breast and find
That you're waiting on the backroads, by the rivers of my memory
Ever smiling, ever gentle on my mind.''

It is a song about hopping freight trains, and thinking about the girl you left behind. I have hopped a lot of freight trains. Love this song.
I have been there and done that a dozen times, sitting by a campfire near the railroad tracks, drinking a up of coffee and thinking of my girlfriend back home.

I would rather cauterize my gaping hemorrhoids with a firestick poker than listen to or view either one!
some friends of ours are big JD fans. every fuggen time we go over there to party, they are either playing him on the stereo or strumming his songs on the guitar. fuggen horror show. the corpses of JD and GC should be dug up and run through a wood chipper pointed at their house.
Wife beater or a queer..... hell of a choice
I really like the music from each of them , but if I had to choose, JD's more obs cure stuff wins for me. Songs like Wild Montana skies and The Cowboy and the Lady were great!
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Sunshine on my shoulders John [bleep] Denver?

Give me Glen Campbell any day of the week

This.
Apples, and Oranges, both were good.
Originally Posted by Craigster

Lost his head because of it.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Campbell, it ain't even close.

Truth.
Galveston, the song that told the story of a young man leaving his true love to go fight in Vietnam and not knowing if he would ever see her and home and Galveston.again as distsnce took it from his sight.
It was the story of many young Americans who were afraid of going there and dying far from home, and die they did, for LBJ and the Bolshevik deep state Military Industrial complex.

Robert NcNamara, on his death bed confessed he and Johnson discussed before they opened the war that we would not win. LBJs family made billions off Ladybirds holdings in Bell Hell, Sea Container and Brown and Root and the blood of our brothers and some would be Fire military supporters, POS posers all, still vote Dimocrap.

Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Gentle on My Mind is one of my favorite songs.

''Through cupped hands, round a tin can
I pretend to hold you to my breast and find
That you're waiting on the backroads, by the rivers of my memory
Ever smiling, ever gentle on my mind.''

It is a song about hopping freight trains, and thinking about the girl you left behind. I have hopped a lot of freight trains. Love this song.
I have been there and done that a dozen times, sitting by a campfire near the railroad tracks, drinking a up of coffee and thinking of my girlfriend back home.

There is what I think is a great trend toward re-evaluating old musicians. Ringo -for example- now everyone thinks he is great. Was not the case not long ago. These guys paid their dues and I am glad to see guys getting a fair look as we grow older and learn to appreciate a wider scope of things in general.

Simonkenton7- Glenn has had a similar recent surge in respect for his playing. The lyrics on that song recently became more 'aware' to me- really poetic and masterful. Thanks for putting them out there- nice to see others appreciating great verse. You have probably seen the video of several notable musicians hanging out and Glen starts playing Gentle on my mind- the grins on all those near show the admiration they have for hi especially his little solo in the middle. How can one not enjoy that? Never really paid attention to Galveston until recently explained - grateful for the new found appreciation.

Jag- well yeah ...Dems making money of other people's misery. Not sure Johnson started that trend but holy hell have they perfected it.
Originally Posted by benchman
Denver. Talented, and he was a very nice guy. I sang with him on several occasions. Got to shoot the crap with him too. Nice guy.

Yeah.. Nice liberal commie.

Lol.
To even have both of them in the same sentence is a travesty.

Wichita Lineman is one of the greatest songs ever.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Lol.

Well, I didn't get that impression. His dad was Air Force. He supported the military. In any case, we didn't discuss politics, but music, and trout fishing.

Lol.

Well, I didn't get that impression. His dad was Air Force. He supported the military. In any case, we didn't discuss politics, but music, and trout fishing.

If I remember correctly, Denver was very anti-hunting.

L.W.
Glen Campbell does "William Tell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUBhE00h9U0
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I would rather cauterize my gaping hemorrhoids with a firestick poker than listen to or view either one!

That is some authentic campfire hyperbole there, I tell ya whut.

I am stealing this line to describe my contempt for rap "music" in some future conversation somewhere.

Thank you, well done.
Glen played a lot of studio sessions with the Wrecking Crew for other famous artists. He was a fantastic musician at any level.
I liked them both but Glen for the win.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Lol.

L.W.

I saw him live at the New Haven Colosseum and he talked about a recipe for wild ducks. Some people booed him and he said how good it tasted and if they ate some they would understand. Didn’t seem anti hunter to me.
Can’t a fella have an appreciation for the work of both?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Can’t a fella have an appreciation for the work of both?

Sure. I'm just not that fella. smile

Glen Campbell FTW.
Wouldn't know who Glenn Campbell was if not for John Hartford. John Denver wrote a good fiddle tune.
John Denver solely for his testimony in front of congress against Tipper Gore and the PMRC!

https://societyofrock.com/33-years-...unning-testimony-about-music-censorship/
From what I’ve read, Denver was a pretty smart guy.

Glen was a alcoholic wife stealer.

Mac Davis threatened to shoot his ass for stealing his wife.
No contest......Glenn Campbell!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Lol.

L.W.

I saw him live at the New Haven Colosseum and he talked about a recipe for wild ducks. Some people booed him and he said how good it tasted and if they ate some they would understand. Didn’t seem anti hunter to me.

Me neither, but what would I know? I just talked to him for a few hours...

Few people knew how good a guitarist Glenn Campbell really was. Fewer ever heard this...

I gotta say John Denver for personal reasons - beyond that he crashed his plane in my home town. That left a huge mark on everyone at the time. Can you imagine a town-wide vigil singing Take me home, Country Boy & Rocky Mtn High?

Who’s Glenn Campbell? 😜

He’s wonderful too but not JD.

No shade on Glenn

Glenn learned from this kid.

Amen Glen

Glenn Campbell for his musical ability as expressed in his instrumentals and voice.

Denver may have been politically active, but that doesnt translate to somethng I would go out of my way to listen to.
Autobiography

Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I gotta say John Denver for personal reasons - beyond that he crashed his plane in my home town. That left a huge mark on everyone at the time. Can you imagine a town-wide vigil singing Take me home, Country Boy & Rocky Mtn High?

Who’s Glenn Campbell? 😜

No shade on Glenn

Whatever you're smoking, put it down.
Glenn Campbell had a lot of talent but I've gotta go with JD. I grew up with my parents playing John Denver records - it's one of those things where I don't know if I'd like it if wasn't part of my childhood.
Posted By: WAM Re: John Denver or Glenn Campbell? - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by troublesome82

THIS for the win.
Moorewodd: Got to see both John Denver and Glenn Campbell perform live and enjoyed them both a lot.
Can't really say which "I" enjoyed more live or recorded.
Never saw Bobby Goldsboro perform.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Who’s Glenn Campbell? 😜

No shade on Glenn

Haha. I was waiting for that. Glenn is a bad** just tossing up a little flak.

Whatever you're smoking, put it down.
I liked them both.
Campbell was one of the most accomplished guitar players in history, and never sang a bad note in his life. He didn’t write songs.

John Denver wrote some decent songs and was very mediocre as an artist.

Not exactly a comparison

And it’s Glen with one n. wink
Denver wrote one song I liked. Readjustment Blues. The rest were just so so! Glen played better.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
From what I’ve read, Denver was a pretty smart guy.

Glen was a alcoholic wife stealer.

Mac Davis threatened to shoot his ass for stealing his wife.

I liked Glenn Campbell until he ran off with Mac Davis's wife.
Huge John Denver fan in high school. Didn't like hard rock, didn't like country. I still have my collection of JD albums from back then.

Glenn Campbell? That was my dad's music.

Pictures? or it didn't happen!!
Originally Posted by RickBin

Rick- this was the one I was talking about.

Any guy that Eddie Van Halen asks lesson from has to be a bit better than just okay.
Posted By: 673 Re: John Denver or Glenn Campbell? - 12/06/21
Now I have a hankering for Glen, he was a gift.
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Any guy that Eddie Van Halen asks lesson from has to be a bit better than just okay.

I had never seen this video until searching the net after Glen's death. Gentle On My Mind is one of my all time favorite songs, this version is fantastic.
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Few people knew how good a guitarist Glenn Campbell really was. Fewer ever heard this...

What a gift he had, unreal. Thanks for posting that.
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by kenjs1

I had never seen this video until searching the net after Glen's death. Gentle On My Mind is one of my all time favorite songs, this version is fantastic.

When you stop and think that this was just off the cuff it is even more impressive. Of course he has played that song about 50,000 times.

Until I started playing guitar I didn’t appreciate his talent. And that little three minute ditty, just how many different scales and picking techniques are used, and the speed, boggles the mind.

GR
No need to choose, thankfully. My instant reaction was Glen Campbell but on reflection, I wouldn't pick either one's career over the other. Both have a book of work that many many people in Nashville or Hollywood would kill for. Oh God was a big big movie at the time.
Are they both dead?
© 24hourcampfire