Home
Posted By: tzone Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
What do you guys have for Christmas dinner? We don’t do anything special on Christmas Day. But I think I’d like to fire up a prime rib this time.

Any traditions for you guys?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
The hillbilly inlaws always want to do a nasty spiral ham.

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Might be a prime rib. Local market gives out a calendar every year with a discount coupon every month. This month's is for a standing rib roast, a whopping $10 off.

Not sure that's going to be enough to make it affordable this year, beef prices being what they are.

Might just have to see what nice cuts are remaining from the 1/4 steer we got this spring.

Or buy a ham. I like ham at Christmas. Even if I am celebrating the birth of a Jewish kid with a hunk of pork. blush
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
At Christmas it was always ham growing up. I’ve never changed. Cumberland Gap ham is one of my favorites.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good

Wtf is wrong with spiral ham?

Prime rib is a New Years tradition here
Posted By: Remsen Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
At the risk of repeating myself many times over...

Because my mom was born and raised in (what used to be) Czechoslovakia and her family had been living in what used to be Germany for a few generations before that, we eat what used to be traditional there, even for Jews. Roast duck, red cabbage and potato dumplings are our Xmas eve dinner. Sorta weird since we don't do anything else Christmasy, but it became a tradition, I can cook a damn good duck/dumpling dinner and it's delicious.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good

I prefer to slice ham myself. I'm not a fan of little skinny slices. I like a manly slice of ham.

And I can make it sweet enough with some pineapple juice and slices and some maraschino cherries.
Originally Posted by Remsen

Because my mom was born and raised in (what used to be) Czechoslovakia and her family had been living in what used to be Germany for a few generations before that, we eat what used to be traditional there, even for Jews. Roast duck, red cabbage and potato dumplings are our Xmas eve dinner. Sorta weird since we don't do anything else Christmasy, but it became a tradition, I can cook a damn good duck/dumpling dinner and it's delicious.

Sure sounds delicious to me.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
We always do Christmas at my sister-in-laws.
Never look forward to it, especially this year.

She is hell for woke, and couldn't possibly ever be wrong. Got into an argument with her on the phone the other night concerning Bidet's energy policy, or lack thereof. Told me I'm full of crap, and everything is going to be great.

I told my wife this morning that I should do something on Christmas Eve to get myself thrown in jail for a day.
No other way out!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good

I prefer to slice ham myself. I'm not a fan of little skinny slices. I like a manly slice of ham.

And I can make it sweet enough with some pineapple juice and slices and some maraschino cherries.

Did you just call me feminine?
Posted By: Bclark Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Christmas Eve is always ham but Christmas Day is deer stew.
Posted By: pullit Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
we do pizza for Supper, and have done brisket for lunch.
By the time Christmas comes we are tired of holiday foods
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
tzone;
Good morning again my cyber friend, I still hope all is well in your world.

While I grew up eating roast goose for Christmas, since we've been married we've done a turkey.

When our girls came along, when one of them was younger they coined Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas to be "feast days" and that's sort of stuck.

Off the top of my head then it'll be roast turkey, whipped potatoes - with garlic and butter, mixed vegetables, creamed corn, mounds of stuffing, Brussels sprouts - because my good wife and son in law believe they're food and a bunch of pickle varieties.

Desert will be a pumpkin pie with whipped cream and either an apple or strawberry rhubarb pie with good vanilla ice cream - both always as one daughter likes one and the other, the other!

Thanks for the fun thread and for letting me remember feast days from years past and look forward to them in future as well.

All the very best to you all tzone as we head into Christmas.

Dwayne

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good

Did you just call me feminine?

Bill, Billy, Billy.

you do you,

I do me.

If you like little skinny spiral slices of ham....................well................................. wink
Joke, Geno…
as was mine!

and honestly, the spiral ones make for easy sammich fixins
Posted By: deflave Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
We do prime rib for Christmas most years.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
I don't know. Was trying to get my girls to commit. We've got elk, deer, ducks, a few geese, a turkey and a ham. Something out of that will get cooked. Probably have roasted blue cheese tomatoes, oyster casserole, green beans, rutabaga puree, and some others.

Christmas eve is always Swedish meatballs, spinach balls with spicy dipping Mustard, oysters and Christmas cookies.
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
We did prime rib for Thanksgiving. My eldest son was given a turkey at Thanksgiving so we will have it on Christmas day. Christmas eve will be Italian as usual. Both days will involve olives...
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
" ... I like ham at Christmas. Even if I am celebrating the birth of a Jewish kid with a hunk of pork. blush

Jesus would have been eating prime rib of mutton at that time. wink

L.W.
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Roast duck. Eggs Benedict for breakfast
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Standing rib roast here.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by tzone
What do you guys have for Christmas dinner? We don’t do anything special on Christmas Day. But I think I’d like to fire up a prime rib this time.

Any traditions for you guys?
When I was a kid at home, we always had lutefisk.. I love it. But it's gotten to be the same price as lobster. mad

Nothing traditional now - but when the (grrr) inlaws come over I'm making lasagna.. And I make damn GOOD lasagna... smile

For our own family, it'll be a slow-roasted (and heavily seasoned) pork loin - done to 130 degrees - sliced at 3/4" with gravy, mashed potatoes, home-baked rolls and chocolate angel pie..

I'd love to do a rib roast - but the prices here would have me calling the bank for a loan... mad ...
Posted By: tzone Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

I’m so tired of that

Prime rib sounds good

That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid. The dreaded spiral ham cheesy potatoes, and green beans.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I don't know. Was trying to get my girls to commit. We've got elk, deer, ducks, a few geese, a turkey and a ham. Something out of that will get cooked. Probably have roasted blue cheese tomatoes, oyster casserole, green beans, rutabaga puree, and some others.

Christmas eve is always Swedish meatballs, spinach balls with spicy dipping Mustard, oysters and Christmas cookies.

Rutabaga puree? As in mashed like taters?

I sure like them, the wife not so much. A Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner staple at our house growing up. I have to make a small pot for myself every year, or life is just not "right".
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Christmas eve i make linguini with butter,a little garlic,scallops,shrimp,lobster. Salad,And a small Boars Head baked ham with mac n cheese on the side for the kids/non seafooders.With mabey some corn if i remember.
Christmas day we do large prime rib roast with twice baked potatoes with cheddar on top,and roasted brussel sprouts with onion and bacon. Apple pie with ice cream,or apple pie with Vermont cheddar for the Welsh still with us.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
" ... I like ham at Christmas. Even if I am celebrating the birth of a Jewish kid with a hunk of pork. blush

Jesus would have been eating prime rib of mutton at that time. wink

L.W.

Or maybe Roast Leg of Goat.

The red cabbage looks damn good. Being at least partially Russian and German, we’ve had plenty of potatoes and cabbage.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Planning on smoking a brisket. 1st one was delicious, second one was dry, see what happens with this one?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Christmas dinner will probably be a standing rib roast, baked potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, some other stuff…. my wife will make pumpkin and apple pies (scratch). A really good bottle of wine for dinner…
Posted By: Old__School Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Christmas Eve: Sicilian Feast Of The Seven Fishes

Christmas Day: Prime Rib
Originally Posted by BC30cal
tzone;
Good morning again my cyber friend, I still hope all is well in your world.

While I grew up eating roast goose for Christmas, since we've been married we've done a turkey.

When our girls came along, when one of them was younger they coined Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas to be "feast days" and that's sort of stuck.

Off the top of my head then it'll be roast turkey, whipped potatoes - with garlic and butter, mixed vegetables, creamed corn, mounds of stuffing, Brussels sprouts - because my good wife and son in law believe they're food and a bunch of pickle varieties.

Desert will be a pumpkin pie with whipped cream and either an apple or strawberry rhubarb pie with good vanilla ice cream - both always as one daughter likes one and the other, the other!

Thanks for the fun thread and for letting me remember feast days from years past and look forward to them in future as well.

All the very best to you all tzone as we head into Christmas.

Dwayne

I’m not opposed to Turkey either. I’d rather have all the other fixins instead of the bird. Lol. My wife and girls can whip up some sides. Especially the pie. Maybe we can just have pie. Hahaha
Posted By: antlers Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
I’ll be havin’ Mexican food.
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Christmas Eve: Sicilian Feast Of The Seven Fishes

Christmas Day: Prime Rib

Hard for us to get good seafood here, but I'll get a piece of tuna or something out of the freezer if I can remember what day it is.
Posted By: goalie Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
I do a venison roast in the instant pot.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

I’m so tired of that

You'all reckon you prefer biscuits and mustard or some of them thahr french fried puhtaters with it, emmm hmmm...

Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Probably a brisket. Because #America.
Posted By: deflave Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

That sounds more Texas than America.

LOL
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

Fugging rib roast would be half the money right now.

And better.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Now that I think about it spiral cut hams ARE feminine. Borderline gay.

Not a fan.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

And better.

I already have the brisket and smoked texas style brisket is better than any rib roast....ever.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Christmas Eve is usually seafood

Christmas Day is always similar to our Thanksgiving Day meal but with a few less sides and a ham or goose rather than turkey. Usually a ham for Christmas and a goose for NYD.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
we're not very creative

We always have thanksgiving somewhere else so we have the traditional thanksgiving dinner - Turkey and Spiral ham
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

Best looking duck I ever saw.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
I feel like doing something different this.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

Rutabaga puree? As in mashed like taters?

I sure like them, the wife not so much. A Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner staple at our house growing up. I have to make a small pot for myself every year, or life is just not "right".

Yes sir.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

Tell me about the roasted blue cheese tomatoes, sounds awesome.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21

And better.

I already have the brisket and smoked texas style brisket is better than any rib roast....ever.

Not even close.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Local store had some roasts that were essentially unsliced New York Strips. Bought a couple to try and make like a rib roast.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Son Jacob had covid over Thanksgiving, we plan on the turkey we got nearly free.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/05/21
Son Jacob had covid over Thanksgiving, we plan on the turkey we got nearly free.
Spiral ham sucks

Christmas Eve gonna be kielbasa and pierogi

Christmas day gonna be lamb chops, baked potatos, asparagus, key lime pie and plenty of beer
Posted By: TooOldToCare Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21

That sounds delicious. I may have to give it go.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by USMC2602

Romas cut in half and seeds/membranes removed forming boats. Marinade in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, whatever else. Roast on a sheet pan at 375 for about an hour. Top with crumbled Blu or Roquefort and put back in oven real quick. They are good warmed up as leftovers too.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21

Roasted brussels sprouts ???

eek laugh crazy

Posted By: deflave Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21

And better.

Uhhhh….

LOL
Posted By: visalia6mm Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Posted By: rem141r Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
i'm doing dinner this year. well, a family effort i guess. i am making jaegerschnitzel and spatzle. not sure what else. probably roasted brussels sprouts, maybe mashed taters or squash or something. maybe something with cranberry sauce. see if i can find a good spatlese or auslese to go with.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
When I was kid, it was goose with oyster stuffing. Later on it became prime rib.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
I’ll brine and smoke a turkey. Mom and my aunt will makes pies and candy. Mom will probably make a ham and half a dozen sides plus homemade bread of some sort.

Christmas Eve we’ll probably either fry fish or make a monster batch of fajitas on the diskada.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by USMC2602

Romas cut in half and seeds/membranes removed forming boats. Marinade in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, whatever else. Roast on a sheet pan at 375 for about an hour. Top with crumbled Blu or Roquefort and put back in oven real quick. They are good warmed up as leftovers too.

Will be trying those, thank you very much!
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by deflave

And better.

Uhhhh….

LOL

Some of us aren't on the LT pay grade.....

Plus I just like brisket, LT.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Dam, i know we are boring. But this thread has me thinking
about calling the hotline.

Just a city ham, not pre sliced.
Candied sweet potatoes
Baked corn
Green bean casserole. (No thanks) or sweet/sour beans with bacon 👍
Usually some scalloped potato type thing.
Fresh rolls
Apple butter
Homemade pickles, beets...
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin rolls, some other pies, cookies.
Posted By: PineTop Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Tamales.....Hot, spicey, fresh, pork tamales..
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
I roast a marinated saddle of venison. Will probably roast a duck too.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21

Roasted brussels sprouts ???

eek laugh crazy

We had them last night, cooked in olive oil they are pretty good. But it does make your house smell like farts before and after you eat them. Guilty on the latter.

actually my office at work today is kinda gettin that way too
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Turkey, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, rolls and a veggie of some sort.
Got Butter Ball turkeys on sale for $.87/#...........where can you get a meat for 87/# ?
Had to buy small chest freezer to keep my turkeys in!
Posted By: skywalker Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
We normally have ham and the fixins......this year, changing it up......we are going to have a nacho bar/spread on our main kitchen island.....should be interesting.
Posted By: specialK Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Mexican food Christmas Eve and steak and shrimp Christmas Day.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Maybe I'll make a pot of borscht this year.
Posted By: fester Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Rib eye………

And crab. Dungeness And king……
Posted By: smarquez Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Spiral cut hams are dry as a Baptist picnic. I really don't get people standing in line to get that honey baked crap. My wife glazes a whole Farmer John gold foil wrapped ham. It comes out really good.
We usually do a prime rib and several different sides.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
generally i avoid spiral hams due to the above reason. but if they are on a really good sale i will get one and smoke it for a party. load it up with brown sugar glaze and smoke in a pan with a couple cans of root beer and baste it once it a while. comes out good. kinda dry, but good.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
We do Christmas brunch most years - make bacon, sous vide and sear a prime rib, an do eggs Benedict to order with your choice of base, middle meat, and home made hollandaise sauce.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Usually a beef rib roast. I’m pissed about the price of the shcitt at .19 plus for choice choice so eff that. Prob do the ollle pig in one of its many delicious incarnations. Crown roast. Maybe even just HAM. Why not. My kid just took a shine to it.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Who knows though. End to end beef filet going less than Ribeye, I may just buy myself a PISMO clean er up, tie er up, and grill that bitch off. Going to one way or the other.
Posted By: fester Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Gonna get full sick on crab and beef tonight.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Christmas Dinner - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Local store had some roasts that were essentially unsliced New York Strips. Bought a couple to try and make like a rib roast.

I bought one of these at Costco a few days ago. Prime grade, about 11.5 lbs.

Let me know how you plan to cook it, I’ve never done a NY strip loin.
© 24hourcampfire