Home
Posted By: gunzo ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
1988, would there have been low altitude training in the Rockies after dark, sonic boom's?

If so, would there be a bright flash?

West slope Colorado, October. We were in a creek canyon at approx. 9,000' & surrounded by peaks to 12,000, it was well after dark. One hell of a boom & flash. Sonic boom was all any of us could think of but never heard a jet.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: g5m Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
Maybe this:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1998-12-25-1998359025-story.html
Posted By: strikeu Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
would have to look at some pubs to see if there is a route in that exact area but yeah it's possible. TFR and goggles were coming into training events regularly 80s and 90s. even as early as late 70s.
Posted By: strikeu Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
by the way, if you want to see something freaking crazy, (I heard a rumor they don't do this here anymore BUT) go to Eielson AFB Alaska during a Cope Thunder.

French Mirage 2000s dropping 2000 lb heavy live. 200 feet at night through the canyons. THAT takes some ballz. I saw them do it.
Posted By: gunzo Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21

The location is approx. but off by a decade. Interesting though, thanks.
Originally Posted by strikeu
would have to look at some pubs to see if there is a route in that exact area but yeah it's possible. TFR and goggles were coming into training events regularly 80s and 90s. even as early as late 70s.

Approx. 20 miles N of Aspen.

The flash?

Should we have heard a jet?

There were a few drinks around the fire & we could have been laughing at a joke or something, but we hadn't had so many that we imagined the boom, nearly scared the crap out of 8 guys.
Posted By: slumlord Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21

I teen a air pane yesser day daddy daddy air pane air pane

globemaster

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
A boom and a flash without subsequent jet noise was likely a meteor or a satellite re-entry. A double boom without a flash may well have been a jet sonic boom. Jet sonics sound like "baBOOM" with a distinct double report.
Thanks to all & to you Rocky, as you might have the answer that best relates, a single boom it was. The quick flash we saw the only thing that didn't remind me of the one fairly close re-entry I've seen.

The event was obviously a long time ago, but another thread reminded me of it & I realized what better place to ask, but here.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
I'm going to assume that the flash came well before the boom, and the timing thereof would give you a clue as to how far away it was. Sound travels at about five seconds to the mile, so a boom 10 seconds after a flash means the "event" happened about two miles from you. Your memory may not be that accurate, and you wouldn't have been accurately counting anyway, but that'll give you a very rough estimate.
Posted By: fester Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
Have seen a meteorite do that…….. big flash then a boom.

Pretty neat experience…….
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
Way back in the dark ages I was scouting for Roosevelt Elk on the West side of Washington's Olympic Peninsula. Up the back country on the Sitkum River Headwaters, I was on a ridgetop at about 4000 feet elevation. River bottom was about 2000 feet below me.

Heard a fighter type aircraft burning up the canyon. This was back when the Navy was still flying E6 Prowlers. Looked all around and above, did not see anything. Then I looked down. A darn Prowler was running TFTA maybe 100 feet above the river bottom, headed up river.

Scary. A few milliseconds away from running into the rocky sidewalls of the narrow, steep canyon. Not to mention the over 200 ft high old growth Douglas Fir trees.
Posted By: Futura Re: ?'s for jet pilots - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
Thanks to all & to you Rocky, as you might have the answer that best relates, a single boom it was. The quick flash we saw the only thing that didn't remind me of the one fairly close re-entry I've seen.

The event was obviously a long time ago, but another thread reminded me of it & I realized what better place to ask, but here.

I got off work at a pizza place as a teenager and as I was about to get in my car to leave there was a big flash that lasted 2-3 seconds. This was about 10pm or so at night. I could see the shadow it made on the palm trees. Like it was daylight again for those few seconds. Looked up in time to see a fireball breaking into pieces streaking towards the south. Drive home and came inside to tell my dad and first thing he asks is if I heard a boom outside. I hadn’t noticed but I probably had my stereo blaring. Told him what I had seen. I still have a newspaper article about it somewhere. They projected that the fragments likely ended up south of Gila Bend. Which is on the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range so I don’t think they ever found the strewn field.
© 24hourcampfire