Home
It's seldom I get to recover a bullet but this year so far I'm 2 for 2 on recovered bullets. Anyone have any recovered bullets from this year's season

Left bullet is from Winchester Power Max Bonded 150 grain 30/30 ammo. It was that close from exiting, I picked it out with a flick of my finger nail.

Right bullet is from Remington Pointed soft point 100 grain 250 Savage ammo. I found it about a 1/2" deep in a Sweet gum tree that was 2 feet beyond the deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image]
Mine stayed in their freakin brass.
😔
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
[Linked Image]

Story?

RS
sometimes hunting and target bullets will just pass through an animal. Pass throughs on all 4 animals this season

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This one’s out of Jag’s deer.

Do Barnes guys get an automatic pass? LOL
Originally Posted by SandBilly

What kind of bullet is that sandBilly?
Some winos probably got mine ground up into some salvation army sketti

lol

No exit
Originally Posted by RipSnort
[Linked Image]

Story?

RS

From another thread:
Agreed. I've been rather impressed with the 127 6.5 LRX with nothing more than lung shots on deer and antelope. This one came out of the dirt after going through a deer's chest yesterday. MV of only 2675 from an 18" suppressed Creedmoor. How does Barnes get the little X in the middle of the bullet?
Originally Posted by Dude270

I believe that was a 165 Matchking. Good chance it hit a limb before the deer.
Here’s mine. A 200 gr Barnes XPB out of a muzzleloader.

Looks like the one from the Lincoln popped from the depository
No bullet recovery here, pass through on both deer I got so far. Doe at 180 yards broadside with a 100 Interlock out of the 257 Roberts and the buck took a 250 gr cast bullet out of my 38-55 through both shoulders.

I bought 5 boxes of those 168 gr. Matchkings a few weeks ago. Thinking about trying them on a hog or two. That one looks like it tumbled. How fast was it going?
Originally Posted by rickt300

I bought 5 boxes of those 168 gr. Matchkings a few weeks ago. Thinking about trying them on a hog or two. That one looks like it tumbled. How fast was it going?

That was through some brush, I think it did tumble. They usually come apart and do well, imo.

Probably 2700 fps? .308 Win within 100yds
That bullet is big enough that coming apart won't lose any animals. Sure is a shooter in my 30-06 and 308.
That bullet is big enough that coming apart won't lose any animals. Sure is a shooter in my 30-06 and 308.

180’s in my 300 win mag too. Only other one that didn’t expand, it ice picked, was on a antelope at 808 yards.
Have been trying to catch one this season. The 115 CT Ballistic tip has been way tougher than all the deer I have shot this season.
GreggH
I had only one bullet not exit, I shot the deer late in the day and gutted it in the dark. I went back the next day to look for the bullet and set up a game camera but the coyotes already cleaned it all up. Even the bullet as it wasn't in the immediate vicinity. Now that I am curious, I could borrow a metal detector and take a look. If it doesn't snow much by next weekend I might give it a try.

180’s in my 300 win mag too. Only other one that didn’t expand, it ice picked, was on a antelope at 808 yards.

808 yards!
One of ren50’s barnes 40cal muzzleloader dug out of opposite shoulder just under the hide

Pulled this out from under the skin on the far shoulder from my wife's buck.

Pictures of her buck.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...34/wife-just-sent-me-a-text#Post16636634

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sorry... nothing to show... I shoot Weatherbys and 9,3x62 Mausers
So far I have shot a black bear and 3 hogs this season with a Barnes 130 gr TTSX out of my 308. None recovered, they all exited.

300 WBY--Barnes 200 gr. ttsx, recovered from a Bull Elk.

45-70 Speer 350 gr. sp recovered from a large dry Elk cow. Rio7
250 gr XTP
muzzleloader

First year I hunted with factory ammunition. A pass through on a pronghorn with 130 gr 270 Win Hornady American whitetail. A pass through on a fairly large whitetail with 150 gr 308 Win Federal Blue Box.
Here is a bullet healed over in a deer I killed with a pass thru

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Sorry... nothing to show... I shoot Weatherbys and 9,3x62 Mausers

Congratulations. The 250 savage was a complete pass through, as it always has been for me.

Here's a few recovered Accubonds from my 7mm/08. I also use them in my 308, and have used them in my old .280 Rem and 270WSM. I prefer them over everything else because they've shot very accurately in all my rifles.

Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
It's seldom I get to recover a bullet but this year so far I'm 2 for 2 on recovered bullets. Anyone have any recovered bullets from this year's season

Left bullet is from Winchester Power Max Bonded 150 grain 30/30 ammo. It was that close from exiting, I picked it out with a flick of my finger nail.

Right bullet is from Remington Pointed soft point 100 grain 250 Savage ammo. I found it about a 1/2" deep in a Sweet gum tree that was 2 feet beyond the deer.

Didn't catch any. Only fired two, both factory Hornady 105gr BTHPs out of my 6ARC. First broke the onside shoulder, and exited about midway down the ribcage on the offside. The deer then turned broadside, obligingly, and I put a second one through the ribcage, right behind the shoulder. It also exited. Range was about 100yds.....Deer took all of seven steps, and all of that in the process of turning broadside for me.

Kaiser Norton
295 grain 50 cal. Powerbelt recovered from my bull elk this October. Chest shot through the good bits and stopped by the hide on the far side.

I caught a 150 grain bullet from a factory Norma 308 Winchester Whitetail load. The rifle was a 16 inch Christensen MPR. Range 175 yards Whitetail buck weighed approximately 170 pounds on the hoof. Shot on the point of the shoulder and recovered under the hide on the off side. Shot was a bang flop. I have no complaints.
Federal Fusion .22-250 Rem. 55gr

Caught two this year. Both 120gr ttsx from a .284 Win NULA

Whitetail

[Linked Image]

Mountain Goat

[Linked Image]

Attached picture C1885CE5-DA3C-4E4A-A188-40E60D4CB8D4.jpeg
Attached picture 897E0692-030C-4910-9AD5-D61592D33B1D.jpeg
The remains of a 7mm, 120 grain ballistic tip from a 7-08. It clipped the rear of the near shoulder of a whitetail buck and passed through the far shoulder and was caught by the hide.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
180 grain Federal Trophy Copper from 300 Win Mag, at about 280 yards, recovered from the verterbrae at base of neck of this moose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I killed 2 with the ML both 2 holed. 3 with the 300 Weatherby. All pass throughs.
260gr Accubond from .375 Ruger, moose at about 80 yards. [img]http://[img]https://i.postimg.cc/DwBybR8r/20211114-132551.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/0zKqTWGj/20211114-132551.jpg[/img]://[/img]
I haven’t caught any this year in anything I’m willing to go digging in.

Wife and I both used the 130 Scirocco out of my 270Wby on our bucks and they made for impressive kills. Oddly both had big holes in the on side rib cage after passing through the meaty part of the shoulder and approximately 1” exits. No sign of breakup, no fragments but big entry holes once they’d penetrated 2” or so.
Nosler Trophy grade in168gn. accubond .308 -- bull elk.

Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Looks good, what and how far?

300 WM,180 gr Accubond, from my Alaska moose in September. 270 yards neck/chest, stopped just under the far side hide.
300 grain Swift A-Frame recovered from a cape buffalo, Recovered weight 266 grains

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Do Barnes guys get an automatic pass? LOL

Should. Its so rare to recover one at all.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Looks good, what and how far?

About 120 yards or so

Originally Posted by EdM
First year I hunted with factory ammunition. A pass through on a pronghorn with 130 gr 270 Win Hornady American whitetail. A pass through on a fairly large whitetail with 150 gr 308 Win Federal Blue Box.

I guess the post title confused you.
I killed a doe and a buck.
I shoot a kreedmire....don't catch any.
Originally Posted by Ringman

Green eggs and ham
No recovery of the 124 Hammer Hunter from a 6.5 WSM on a cow elk at 100 yards. Bullet through the rib cage behind the legs. Guess it's still circling the earth ;-)
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
No recovery of the 124 Hammer Hunter from a 6.5 WSM on a cow elk at 100 yards. Bullet through the rib cage behind the legs. Guess it's still circling the earth ;-)

Thanks, that's a real contribution.
I shoot a .257 Weatherby with TSX's.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No 25/06?
I've only killed one whitetail buck this season, a good 6 pointer. The 7mm 140 grain Partition bullet passed through, so no recovery. The deer dropped in his tracks. Come to think of it, I've killed a lot of deer with the 7x57 using that bullet and I've never recovered a bullet.
None yet…
Originally Posted by EdM

A [bleep] and a young one at that. Piss off twat.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No 25/06?

Not lately. Drilled a boar at 437 yds Wednesday. Big target standing still....but still cool.

Recovered 180 accubonds
Originally Posted by broomd

168 gr .308 Accubond?
Originally Posted by Stammster
Originally Posted by broomd

168 gr .308 Accubond?

Appears to be a special run with lead tips.

Appears to be a special run with lead tips.

And no bonding!!!
Here's a 185 TTSX from my .338-06. My boy shot two moose in a couple minutes. A pass through on a cow and then this one went in just in front of the hip and stopped near the base of the neck on a young bull. Neither went more than 20-30 yards after the shot.

[Linked Image]
I found half a bullet embedded in a piece of poplar crown molding out
on the job. It laid with the grain and probably didn't do the shaper blade any good.
Nice and smooth, gleaming in the sunlight.
Originally Posted by Ringman

Green eggs and ham

No recovery of either Hammer Hunter 8mm 198 grain bullet.
Originally Posted by EdM

And apparently many others newbe.
I recovered all 20 of them. Unfired.
How about some shotgun slugs. The 2 on the right were from 2 does this year. Both at 95 yards and both through the shoulders. Slugs found under the opposite side hide. The 2 on the left were from previous years, but the majority end up in the dirt on the other side. BTW I'd pay good money if anyone has any of those slugs they would be willing to sell. My stash is getting low.
Shot my first deer of the season with a 348gr power belt. In one side and out the other. Shot the 2nd deer with a 150gr federal blue box bullet. Same, same. Shot an elk 3 days ago with a 159gr nosler etip. Same, same. Gonna use my crossbow tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be same, same.
© 24hourcampfire