Home
Posted By: Remsen Would ya... - 12/14/21
Short background: My dad, who passed away Oct 2020, loved gardening, especially growing vegetables. His favorite things were radishes, both daikon and black radishes (the latter being very difficult to find in most markets).

So when the time came to choose a headstone, we went with one that had a little planter in front so we could honor him by growing things. A few months ago, the headstone was unveiled and after the ceremony I filled up the planter section with planting mix and put in some seeds. The planter part is open at the bottom, so technically anything you plant in there could grow down towards the casket, but the casket is not only six feet deep, it's covered with concrete slabs and then dirt.

Ok, so the would ya part...

When I was back in CA visiting a few weeks ago I saw that the daikons had really grown like crazy and I harvested a few to bring over to my grandparents' headstones (my dad got his love of radishes from his parents). I was tempted to just take a bite of the daikon to see if it was legit, but my sister yelled at me that it's disgusting and I could be eating something grown in dead humans.

Today, my brother is in CA and visited the cemetery. Turns out that the black radishes took off as well and he harvested one to take a look (pic below....if you know black radishes, you know this is a pretty nice one). The question is...

Would you ever take a taste of a vegetable grown on top of a grave?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Yes
Posted By: slumlord Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
I eat tomatoes grown in chicken shít
Posted By: Raferman Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Everywhere was once a grave for somthing or someone.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
A lot worse things out there to eat than that.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Did it quite a few times with animal graves under a fruit tree when I was growing up.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
The departed are laughing at you!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Yes I would
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
"The grass is always greener over the septic tank"
Erma Bombeck

Have you heard any complaints from the tenants about you growing vegetables six feet above them? Tell the ones who are doing the complaining to STFU!
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Eat on brother, bet your dad would approve.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Thank you, all, for the responses.

My brother did take a bite out of the black radish and said it was really spicy and flavorful. I think my dad's side is really superstitious about anything relating to the dead, but I also know this is exactly what my dad would have wanted and he'd have told us that it's a sin to waste good food. My brother posted pictures on whatever social media site he and the rest of the family use (I think it's Facebook, but I won't touch any of those sites) and the response was epic. Good thing he loves to piss off family....
All the burials are in sealed vaults anyway right?

Around here that $8000 cherry cabinet drops into a gasketed steel box then the soil is replaced.

Different there?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Reminds me of a story about my long departed grandmother. She and my grandpa were big gardeners, managing their own vegetable, flower and berry gardens. One day while she was tending my grandfather's grave, she was overheard talking to my grandfather, remarking about how well his feet grew petunias.

They had an old-school marriage and were close to each other to the end.

To answer your question, I think I'd be a bit weirded out about eating food from over a stranger's grave, but not over my dad's. It's all a mental thing, IMO.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
I would in a heartbeat. Dad grew me and I think I turned out allright.
Posted By: las Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Around here that $8000 cherry cabinet drops into a gasketed steel box then the soil is replaced.

Different there?

In Alaska, I believe one doesn't even need a casket. And you can bury 'em in your yard. Way it should be- the "permission" that is.

If you ask me (you didn't), locking away all that top of the food chain nutrient is dumb - but dates from past times when disease, contamination, etc was a problem.

I'll be burned and ashes scattered on the surface of this good earth for something to use.

And yes Remson - eat away.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by Texczech
I would in a heartbeat. Dad grew me and I think I turned out allright.

Remsen, consider that.

Why not eat the radish.

Wouldn't be here if you hadn't come out Dads stem and grew in mom.

And I say that as respectfully as that could possibly said.😁
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Yes love radishes, My horseradish is almost ready, even though I don't think they are a true radish. Horseradish sauce for the prime rib this Christmas.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Geezus H.!.....Cannibalism on the Campfire!

Kidding aside, tell your sister to relax.
If she knew what has been used to fertilize most of her store bought food, she'd have stopped eating years ago.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

Exactly and as you said, there’s a concrete vault over the casket and radish roots would not penetrate 4-6’ of soil. Eat and enjoy.
Posted By: Winchester21 Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by dale06

Exactly and as you said, there’s a concrete vault over the casket and radish roots would not penetrate 4-6’ of soil. Eat and enjoy.

Exactly right.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
I think your sister would benefit from a mg of Ativan for breakfast every day. She sounds high strung.

High strungedness runs in my family. We've been working with it for quite a while.

Ativan,...and in your sister's particular case, chased with a bite of Daikon. That'll fix it from A to B.
Posted By: DHN Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by las

Different there?

In Alaska, I believe one doesn't even need a casket. And you can bury 'em in your yard. Way it should be- the "permission" that is.

If you ask me (you didn't), locking away all that top of the food chain nutrient is dumb - but dates from past times when disease, contamination, etc was a problem.

I'll be burned and ashes scattered on the surface of this good earth for something to use.

And yes Remson - eat away.

Same in Montana. I've told friends that, as far as I am concerned, they could just dump me out on the prairie and shoot some coyotes and magpies off me. Turns out that's a bit too casual for the State.

Growing food on a corpse seems a fine way to recycle. We sprinkled dad's ashes around my sister's grapefruit tree; she had a better than average crop for a few years.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Yes! From dust ye came, to dust ye shall return.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
WWHCD
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Sustenance from your father. The circle of life. smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Remsen,

you bet.

And in my case, if I were your dad I'd be honored to be growing nutritious, tasty food for my relatives and likely feel dishonored, at least disappointed, with the squeamishness of those not wishing to partake. Would be different if they didn't enjoy the particular goodie from the dirt perhaps, but not if they ate it regularly.

I will look for some black radish seed to grow this coming spring. Don't think I ever tried that variety.

Rest in Peace father of Remsen.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
O hell yes! There are no human remains mixed in with the soil unless someone killed and buried someone there.
Steel Vaults started to be used as a norm in the 1920s-30s, cement vaults started to be used in the late 30's on. in the cemetery I work in cement vaults became the norm in 1939, Bodies must be inside a casket that is put inside of a cement vault. Cremations may be buried in anything they desire.

I love the vaults as it makes it a lot nicer for digging. every once in a while you have to dig next to an old grave and they were either buried in a wooden casket or the casket was put inside a wooden vault both of which break down so every once in a while you scrape up a bone or two because they were put to far over or in the wrong spot, put the bone or bones back and adjust over a little.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21

Different there?
Ever hear of green burials? Will become popular due to low cost.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think your sister would benefit from a mg of Ativan for breakfast every day. She sounds high strung.

High strungedness runs in my family. We've been working with it for quite a while.

Ativan,...and in your sister's particular case, chased with a bite of Daikon. That'll fix it from A to B.

LOL

take a ride on the van baby!!

😃

My sister n law works at a psych hospital. She says that
Posted By: reivertom Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21

Yeah.....top that! I wouldn't drink from a well there, but that's a totally different thing.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

Different there?
Ever hear of green burials? Will become popular due to low cost.

Yes

I have heard of them

I just wanted to make sure it was or wasnt a jewish thing for him to be worried about eating the radish.
Posted By: miguel Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
There’s a stand of sugar maples surrounding a little cemetery just up the road from me. Every spring the Amish tap all of the trees. Haunted maple syrup?
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21
Honorable and fitting tribute to your father to grow sustenance at a place of such peaceful resting.

Can not even imagine how anyone would find that wrong or wrong headed.

May your father's resting place always benefit those that visit and partake of the gifting of the memory, soil and God.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Would ya... - 12/14/21

Your not the only one
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Would ya... - 12/15/21
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Originally Posted by dale06

Exactly right.

I agree as well
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Would ya... - 12/15/21
Of course 👍 the cycle of life continues. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I bet Dad wouldn't mind🤔
© 24hourcampfire