Home
Posted By: Beaver10 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/19/21
Any of you use a 100 yard zero for 22 LR rifles ?

What would you consider an acceptable MOA at 100 yards? 2” more, or less?

Most of my 22’s are zero’d at 100. I have a couple rim rifles with a 50 yard zero.

I primarily shoot CCI 40g Mini Mag ammo. Seems across the battery of rimfire rifles I have, mini mags showed the most consistent.

I have had strange plinking days, where a rifle will show 1.5” MOA all day long. Next time I take the same rifle out, it’s printing like I have a turkey choke on it....Don’t know why. Any idea ?

🦫
No, I dont use a 100 yard zero.
I haven't done a lot of 100 yard 22LR work, but I've done enough to know that trying to zero a new scope at that range in a breeze will piss off a pope.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I haven't done a lot of 100 yard 22LR work, but I've done enough to know that trying to zero a new scope at that range in a breeze will piss off a pope.

True dat...LOL

🦫
25 yard zero. Gather dope to 200. Usually 25 moa to get to 200 yards with a 25 yard zero
Have never zero'ed a .22 at 100 yards. I only shoot sub-sonics in suppressed .22. Typically zero'ed at 25-30 yards. Squirrel hunting range.
I zero mine at 35 yds, that's good for early season squirrel hunting. When the leaves fall, I'll zero at 50 yds.
Posted By: Terryk Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/19/21
22 silhouette matches have targets at 40 meters, 60 meters, 77 meters, and 100 meters. In my experience with match rifles, shooters would puke with 2 inches at 109 yards, pretty Ok with 1.5 inches, and lottery winners if under an inch. Really with wind, things happen. Light changes, changes image perception, and groups move. Naturally these rough numbers are for bench work prior to offhand matches.

Typical zero at 40M, add 1.5-2 moa at 60, then add another 2 moa or so, then add 4 moa. 0, 2, 4 8. Maybe up to 10, depends on the mounts.
Posted By: viking Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/19/21
Maybe a 25 yard zero at the most.
Ballpark...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Most of my 22’s are zero’d at 100. I have a couple rim rifles with a 50 yard zero.

I primarily shoot CCI 40g Mini Mag ammo. Seems across the battery of rimfire rifles I have, mini mags showed the most consistent.

I have had strange plinking days, where a rifle will show 1.5” MOA all day long. Next time I take the same rifle out, it’s printing like I have a turkey choke on it....Don’t know why. Any idea ?

🦫

This is a dumb question.
Match ammo at 1050 or so you will have to add additional moa
Thanks, Lap

🦫
About the only thing I shoot with my .22s is grouse 50 yd zero seems the best trying a few. Seems I can't sneak up on them much closer and from about 15 yds to 60yds POI is within kill zone aiming at the base of the neck on a chicken.j Except for the ones I miss. lol
Thanks, Lap

🦫

You're welcome Beave!
Yeah for field practice . Saves the wallet . Get a twenty five or fifty yd zero then move out to hundred . The wind will show up in your groups a bit more at 100 , but CZ super exclusive and wolf ammo it will get me an inch five shot group , sometimes a good bit better , wind will open you up to 1 1/2”-2” groups . I don’t bother with wind flags as I use it to shoot field positions I might encounter deer hunting .
I put two vertical strings of paper plates , three n each string .
I start at a 100 standing , five shots right handed , five left handed , then same setting and same prone ,
Briskly walk in about 20 yds and repeat until I close the gap to the final twenty .
I should do this year round but usually don’t start till end of August or so .
When I get to the plates I mark them all 1 , then two and so on , and use top plates for standing , middle for settin , and bottom for prone .
After a few days a week you’ll see a better consistency .
Sometimes I wonder if it is actually helping , helping or not , shooting is always fun .
Shoot year round but mostly from a bench testing loads , always a bullet I haven’t tried in a gun .
Kenneth
10-22 for the kids is sighted at 75 yds with a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40.

Dad's old 572 is sighted at 100 yds with an old 3-9x32 Simmons, and it will do for heart shots on a feral tom cat at that range. Or at least it would six years ago when I last grabbed it for the task.

Just out of High School, I bought a Winchester 190. I kept it zeroed at 100 yds, and put several bricks of ammo through Campbell's Soup cans at that range the summer of '76.

For 50 years, I have found it as easy to hold under at midrange as it is to hold over at extended range.
Sight mine in at 50 yards for shooting turtles in the Stock Tank.

22 mag gets the 100 yard sight in.
I’ve always shot mine in at 35 yards.
I chose that distance because my .22s LRs are mainly used for plinking and head shooting squirrels for the pot. I can expect to take out a tree rat out to about 50, beyond that I abstain from shooting.
The .22 Magnum is shot in at 50. It’s used for keeping varmints outta my vegetables and squirrels as well. I’ve killed a couple groundhogs at 100 yards and change with it. Also one that was educationally challenged, and didn’t figure out that the 2 dust spurts he saw were Bullet strikes! The third time was the charm and I paced it out at around 250 yards!
The range at our gun club has a slate bank behind the target stand at 100 yards. When I’m working up a hand load I let the gun cool down between groups.
At that distance a couple clay birds and a 6.5 inch .22 revolver are fun ways to pass the time.
7mm
20 = 50 with mine. SV

The 10/22 zeroed at 50 w/ HVHP
Posted By: jnyork Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/19/21
I keep mine zero'ed for 50 yards and go up 7 minutes at 100 to get me in the 10 ring.
Originally Posted by deflave

🦫

This is a dumb question.

Tell that to “The Shooter” with a 200 yard zero.

🦫
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I zero mine at 35 yds, that's good for early season squirrel hunting. When the leaves fall, I'll zero at 50 yds.

Yeah, I usually do a 50 yard zero on a .22 LR rifle. 100 yards for a .22 Magnum.

🦫

I have that same experience. Wind is HUGE once you start stretching a 22LR beyond 50. Roughly 5 inches in a 10 MPH crosswind. Lot to lot variation is also a significant factor. I think as my eyes age, I may have some days where I am a factor as well. Sometimes range days just defy explanation.
This is a dumb question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No, I sight in at 15 yards.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

🦫

I have that same experience. Wind is HUGE once you start stretching a 22LR beyond 50. Roughly 5 inches in a 10 MPH crosswind. Lot to lot variation is also a significant factor. I think as my eyes age, I may have some days where I am a factor as well. Sometimes range days just defy explanation.

Yeah, wind isn’t the culprit for me...I’ve had spring/summer days with no wind to screw around with ammo and rifles off a bench and bag.

Think it’s maybe just differences in the ammo lots. 🤷🏽‍♀️.

🦫
Posted By: gunzo Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/19/21
All my scoped 22's are zeroed @ 50. The couple I have for playing at long range have rings, rails, & knobs for the rest. But they start at 50, the same as the scoped sporters. Just my pref.
What .22 rifle are you shooting?
72 meters with CCA mm
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Couple of Japan made Model 52’s
Kimber Hunter-Silhouette

Browning A-bolt and a Ruger 10/22 that has some upgrades are 50 yard zeroed

🦫

Kimber Hunter-Silhouette

🦫

Do they all have the same problem that you stated?
Carbon ring?
A carbon ring can make your accuracy go right out the window and it ain’t something you can just see easily. A bore scope is a priceless tool for any shooter who is serious! I would definitely check the barrel for this. Ignition is perfect but bolts get dirty over time. This can cause ignition to not be so perfect anymore. Fully breaking down the bolt, cleaning everything, and relubing will take care of this.

Kimber Hunter-Silhouette

🦫

The Kimber has been a consistent rifle. The Winchester 52’s are the rifles that have good days and bad days...

Both haven’t been tortured with piles of ammo thru them...Bore get’s wiped out with cleaner and cloth after 500. or so rounds.

🦫
A carbon ring can make your accuracy go right out the window and it ain’t something you can just see easily. A bore scope is a priceless tool for any shooter who is serious! I would definitely check the barrel for this. Ignition is perfect but bolts get dirty over time. This can cause ignition to not be so perfect anymore. Fully breaking down the bolt, cleaning everything, and relubing will take care of this.

I’ve been told a good bore scope is a good tool to have.

🦫

Kimber Hunter-Silhouette

🦫

The Kimber has been a consistent rifle. The Winchester 52’s are the rifles that have good days and bad days...

Both haven’t been tortured with piles of ammo thru them...Bore get’s wiped out with cleaner and cloth after 500. or so rounds.

🦫

Other than the basics.... scope, mounts, base, crown, action screws, etc.

Wonder if the 52s are just ammo sensitive?
I do a 50 yard zero for a 22lr. 100 yard for 22 magnum. Some centerfires .22 Hornet and 30-30 get a hundred yard zero most other centerfires I zero at 200 yards.
Zero at 50, but then we're mostly targeting Belding's Ground Squirrels. Also have some cross hatching on the vertical wire that gets me on target at 75 and 100. When the young squirrels emerge, a half inch of error can generate a miss as they're about the size of a house mouse.
75 yds because that's the distance to my orchard for busting squirrels.
I shoot iron sights.

Cuz Big Stick said if I did I could hit dirt.

Err, some shît like that.
Posted By: memtb Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21

We have Nikon 22 rimfire scope with the BDC reticle. We zero @ 50, and it works well beyond that. We can pretty easily go under 2” @ 100 yards! memtb

🦫

Beav

ever hear of a 17 M2 ?

light years ahead of the 22 LR
Only with CCI Stingers anyhing else is at 50 yards.

Dean

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: ribka Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Good shooting there! With power points. Double impressed
Originally Posted by tikkanut

🦫

Beav

ever hear of a 17 M2 ?

Or a .17 HMR?

How about quarter MOA, Annie 1717 with 17 gr/ CCI TNT at a hundred.

DF

Posted By: gunzo Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
When good results turn bad the first thing my benchrest shooting buds say is: conditions. They changed.

I've used a wind flag @ 25 yards just to see. Yep, Just a light breeze on my cheek will move the bullet. I must be consistent on the trigger to realize this but I've seen it.

I can't, won't say it's conditions every time stuff goes sour, but it's a player for sure.

I use a 50 yard zero because both RF benchrest & RF benchrest for score competition is shot at that distance & data or standards at that distance are readily available. A hundred yard zero allows variables to change exponentially,,,, was it me? the ammo? or WTF?

🦫

Beav

ever hear of a 17 M2 ?

I have, Tik....I toyed with ownership a handful of times of one.

Decided to go all in on 17 HMR and 17 WSM rimfire.

🦫
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

🦫

Beav

ever hear of a 17 M2 ?

Or a .17 HMR?

How about quarter MOA, Annie 1717 with 17 gr/ CCI TNT at a hundred.

DF

I’ve sunk a little money into my rim 17’s. I have a couple of Clark’s rifles that I had built in both HMR and WSM. Tack Drivers!

I also picked up a Ruger Precision 17 HMR, when they were cheaper. Threaded barrel. I caught a good one. It’s been ultra accurate from day with. It’s almost boring to shoot it due to its ability to hit the X

🦫
Originally Posted by Salty303
About the only thing I shoot with my .22s is grouse 50 yd zero seems the best trying a few. Seems I can't sneak up on them much closer and from about 15 yds to 60yds POI is within kill zone aiming at the base of the neck on a chicken.j Except for the ones I miss. lol

Same thing works for me for grouse and ptarmigan.

Kimber Hunter-Silhouette

🦫

🦫

Other than the basics.... scope, mounts, base, crown, action screws, etc.

Wonder if the 52s are just ammo sensitive?

That’s likely it...I’ve run a few different types of mfg’s ammo thru them. CCI mini-mags seemed to hit a sweet spot for both ~ it went South.

Scope and rings seemed g2g when I checked them as a possible culprit.

🦫
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That’s part of the reason I went (tried for) a 100 zero. I’ve got to stretch a smidge to reach an area where things need to die.

Part of this, as I’m sure some, maybe, most would agree....is just shooting my 22LR enough to know where to hold on shots made from 25 yards out to whatever.

I’ve seen some old coots who would consistently smacked small things out past 100 yards.

🦫
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
My experience is 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards for the average 22 rifle will translate to 5" groups at 100 yards.

The bullet goes subsonic and gets disturbed ~~75 yards.

The guys serious about 100 yards with 22LR, will shoot sub sonic ammo and lob those slow bullets in with lots of trajectory.

This creates a great long range opportunity for 17M2, 17HMR, and 22WMR....... but so far 22LR is still selling.

That’s part of the reason I went (tried for) a 100 zero. I’ve got to stretch a smidge to reach an area where things need to die.

Part of this, as I’m sure some, maybe, most would agree....is just shooting my 22LR enough to know where to hold on shots made from 25 yards out to whatever.

I’ve seen some old coots who would consistently smacked small things out past 100 yards.

🦫

Get a FFP scope in mils. Problem solved
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Only with CCI Stingers anyhing else is at 50 yards.

Dean

I bought a pile of Stingers, thinking it would solve all issues. Damn near every rim rifle I owed threw them all over the target.

My pistols eat them up now.

🦫

🦫

Hahaha.....You Suck, bruh !

Wifey, I’m buying a another NF ~ Merry Christmas 🎄 to me.

😬🦫
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My experience is 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards for the average 22 rifle will translate to 5" groups at 100 yards.

The bullet goes subsonic and gets disturbed ~~75 yards.

The guys serious about 100 yards with 22LR, will shoot sub sonic ammo and lob those slow bullets in with lots of trajectory.

This creates a great long range opportunity for 17M2, 17HMR, and 22WMR....... but so far 22LR is still selling.

Sounds about right...Some days it’s like I’m waiting on my birthday for the 40gr pill to smack a target.

🦫

🦫

😬🦫

Life's too short to go without fine optics!

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission brother Beave!
Many that shoot 22's seriously will shoot subsonic ammo to begin with. So that is one factor that's eliminated.

Not what I would have thought, but many serious shooters reaching out 2-400 yards start with subsonic ammo as well. One less variable to deal with.

🦫

😬🦫

Absolutely!

I’m gonna strap on my kevlar and riot helmet then tell the wife what’s~what.

👍🏼🦫

🦫

😬🦫

Absolutely!

I’m gonna strap on my kevlar and riot helmet then tell the wife what’s~what.

👍🏼🦫

Atta boy! Let me know the outcome.....
Posted By: EdM Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
All of mine have been sighted in at 50 yards. Over Covid I have shot a lot more rimfire and very recently bought a Bergara B14R carbon fiber to play with at 100 yards plus. I have also discovered SK and the like ammunition so just new fun for me. Knowing what I have seen with SK and a recent Sako purchase I need to drag out my Savage Anschutz, Rem 541 and a tweaked 10-22. Fun stuff to say the least.
Posted By: hosfly Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by EdM
All of mine have been sighted in at 50 yards. Over Covid I have shot a lot more rimfire and very recently bought a Bergara B14R carbon fiber to play with at 100 yards plus. I have also discovered SK and the like ammunition so just new fun for me. Knowing what I have seen with SK and a recent Sako purchase I need to drag out my Savage Anschutz, Rem 541 and a tweaked 10-22. Fun stuff to say the least.
SK is fine ammo,,its lapua,,, Eley is another as is RWS all high end rimfire ammo,,, I zero at 50 and with this ammo usually put a 5 shot group in a bug hole CCI is just slightly larger
My ruger american will shoot 1.5” no problem at 100 but there cant be any wind. About 48” drop at 200 yds with a 30 yd zero. Groups a little bigger than your fist. 5” ish.
The carbon ring Lapua spoke of is especially important for a 22lr to maintain a good CBS [cold barrel shot] .
Target shooting it doesn't matter as much, although keeping a barrel carbon rings free is always a good idea. The CR is a combination of burned powder, lube, and lead that builds up right at the rifling lands. It is very hard when cold, when the bullet passes through it - it swages the bullet shrinking it a small amount thus causing > a whacky bullet. The bullet doesn't land POA [point of aim] due to being swaged through the CR.

JB Bore paste and a Nylon Brush plus a bit of scrubbing will get rid of the CR.
Don't clean the entire barrel just the chamber area.

For accuracy hands down Subsonic quality ammo Wolf/SK/RWS], HV ammo can't compete with subsonic.

As Clark said the HV ammo goes subsonic at 75yds. creating whacky flying bullets.

Saw a comparison of 22lr subsonic 40gr. vs Benjamin Marauder 25cal. 25-28gr.[?] pellet > 22lr subsonic produces the same energy at 125+ yards as 25cal. Marauder does at the muzzle. We all know a pellet rifle like that will easily kill small game, even biggish coons/skunks/thieves.

Me - 40 yard zero 22lr subs.
75yds. 22mag.
100yds.17hmr.
Being in a competitive silhouette shooter for pushing 20 years I have zeros for 25 50 75 and 100 yards. Also 40, 60 77 and 100 m
Used to do ok on the small bore prone range at 50, 100, and 200. All I had was a 37 Remington, a 20x unertal scope, Remington irons and Eley ammo
I can’t believe how stupid the original question was.
I can’t believe how stupid the original question was.

Yes
Originally Posted by blanket
Used to do ok on the small bore prone range at 50, 100, and 200. All I had was a 37 Remington, a 20x unertal scope, Remington irons and Eley ammo

I’ve never shot Eley ammo. Have some SK/Lapua that has been good.

🦫
I like the SK standard velocity too. 50 yd zero, ~7.5 moa cum up for 100 yd. Savage Mk II BTV, 12x swfa.
I stopped reading after the first page ...22 long rifle "stingers"
"Sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards ...all the digger squirrels .....we wanted .....a hundred yards and under.....beyond on that 22250 = good times!
Beaver10;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope the weekend was a good one for you all and this finds you well.

On another forum I'm on, a fellow from up north was muttering that his rebarreled CZ 452 was getting tighter groups at 100yds than his new 6.5PRC build and no, that didn't make him pleased one little bit.

While I do a wee bit of shooting with .22's at 100yds, usually I'll test ammo at 25yds with 10 shot groups to see what the dispersion looks like there.

Then with some of them I'll stretch it with paper out to 50 next and sometimes 100yds, but honestly usually I prefer to take the good grouping stuff out as far as the wind will allow me on that day. Ponderosa Pine cones are a great reactive and biodegradable target.

I'm sure you know that even good .22's can be ammunition sensitive, here's one of the initial test runs on a Tikka T1X I ran.

[Linked Image]

This was another day with the Tikka and a CZ No 5

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, I'm not sure that was super helpful, but it does illustrate ammo preferences for sure in a couple different rifles.

Good luck with your testing and Merry Christmas to you all.

Dwayne
BC, shoot flies. Paper target at 50 yd, bait with a spot of peanut butter. I wait for them to land, hard to shoot on the wing.

Occasional idiot I am, shooting a 50 yd 22rf br match, close bolt, look through scope, see a hole where it shouldn't be. Called a crossfire to ro. Looked again, told ro never mind, crossfire flew away.

Zero my CZ 452 at 75 yds.......

with the 4 x 16 scope on top of it, that rifle will consistently head shoot a ground squirrel to 125 yds with no problem... and this is using Federal Bulk 22 LR in the 550 boxes you use to be able to get from Walmart for like $9.00

That's off a Bi pod, off the top of a 1988 4 Runner Hood.
22’s for me have always been plinking fun and light duty killing on small furs out to 100 yards, or there about.

My 22 rifles aren’t anything fancy, standard out of the box wares, except for the semi-customized Ruger 10/22. My Kimber H-S has been a consistent shooting rimfire out to 100 yards. The A-bolt also a prints a decent target at 100 with a 50 yard zero.

It’s the (2) Winchester Model 52’s that give me some fits. One is a standard sporter, the other is Zander heavy barrel. Both have been bedded. The two Mod 52’s are finicky and piss me off on occasions when they don’t produce the MOA they had shown a month earlier.

🦫

My Winchester 62 is zero at 50 yds with Velociator 40 gr… can pick off crows in top of pine trees at 120 yds holding couple inches over top of there head if no wind….2x7 scope. The 22 shorts fun to shoot squirrels in early season they drop them just as good as the LR’s and lot quieter.
Hey Dwayne, looks like your T1x and Cz #5 are doing better than my model 52’s.

I’ve tried a lot of different types of ammo with varying degrees of suck, until using the 40g mini mags from CCI. It doesn’t make sense that one day I’m consistent with 2” or better, with both rifles just flicking round after round down range...Then next time out, it’s a 4” MOA.

Have a Merry Christmas ~ Maybe you’ll catch some snow.

🦫
Beaver10,
Read this article based on the topic of wind effect on accurate shooting.
Taught me that I had been wasting a lot of time ''fine tuning'' ammo plus quite a bit more.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013...house-lessons-in-extreme-rifle-accuracy/
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Beaver10,
Taught me that I had been wasting a lot of time ''fine tuning'' ammo plus quite a bit more.

Will do...Thx, mike

🦫
Posted By: ribka Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Beaver10,

that was interesting
Posted By: fester Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21

🦫

Weather?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yeah, I usually do a 50 yard zero on a .22 LR rifle. 100 yards for a .22 Magnum.

I do more or less the same, except I have one of those ballistic plex reticles that all I need to do is go p in increments to 75.100, 125 yds. With the 22 Mag I do the same except I use 100, 125 & 150. Works great.
Solid comments and recommendations by all.
Originally Posted by fester

🦫

Weather?

Yeah, that was mentioned. I don’t like plinking with a 22 in foul weather - rain or wind. I checked the two elevation levels where I’ve shot. One is at sea level, the other 525’ft.

Not sure if that would make a difference with a 22 LR ~ it doesn’t change anything @ 100 yards with a center fire.

🦫
Originally Posted by ribka
Beaver10,

that was interesting

Agreed.

Good read.

🦫
Posted By: Paul39 Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
This thread has taken an absolutely predictable path, a couple of paths actually.

Those who are into ultimate precision describe the equipment and techniques employed by benchresters to achieve gilt edge accuracy. No holds or $$ barred.

Then the hunters chime in that they can kill critters all day long with grandpa's rifle and cheap ammo.

Neither is wrong or right, just completely different.

Hopefully, out of this discussion, the OP can glean the info he was seeking.

Originally Posted by ribka
Beaver10,

that was interesting

Agreed.

Good read.

🦫

Beaver10;
Top of the morning to you again sir, I hope it's a tad warmer in your part of the world - we're a frosty -11°C this morning and we've got enough snow that the tractor will be fired up later on to plow.

Thanks to ol mike for that article as it is very interesting to me for sure, even though I'll likely never get into bench rest shooting out here.

The techniques from the bench though I believe can and do translate from rimfire to centerfire which is one reason I enjoy fooling with .22's to see how far I can push them and myself.

Here's the last rimfire range day where a few from the safe went out for a test.

[Linked Image]

Of that bunch Beaver, only the Tikka and the 10/22 deluxe aren't epoxy bedded.

The 10/22 Deluxe was the only one with a stock/unmodified trigger.

For me to squeeze the most out of any of them, it seems that how I grip the rifle and how it's sitting in the rear bags makes the most difference. On the last photo of the ammo test for instance I was gripping the stock as lightly but still consistently as possible with my shooting hand and squeezing the ears on the rear bag just a wee bit.

Now truly when I shoot my hunting rifles, especially the lighter ones Beaver, if I don't hold the fore end down they'll shoot patterns for me, but the rimfires did and do show me that it's the tiny details in my technique that are making the difference in how I'm shooting.

Again I hope that was useful.

As mentioned we've got snow so the little diesel will be fired up and incantations spoken over the water pump as it's beginning to weep out the front seal so it's days are numbered. What I believe to be a replacement is sitting in a box on the bench so that's cool if it doesn't, but as the movie line went, "it'd be cooler if it didn't"...

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dwayne
Mostly no. I have 1 .22LR rifle zeroed at 100 yards, a Remington 37 with a 30x Lyman Super Targetspot.

All of my other .22LR rifles are zeroed at 50 yards.

Anything over 50 yards that I shoot with a rimfire is going to be shot with a .17HM2, .17HMR, 5MM RM, or .22MAG.

My .22s are used for plinking, understudy practice, woods loafing, or warming up before shooting centerfires, not for hunting.

I like to go out to our bottom ground timber and still-hunt black walnuts and cow turds.
Zero mine at 50 yards. It will shoot slightly under an inch at 100 yards. The ballistic chart shown earlier is approximately accurate.

I can, with proper dialing regularly hit gongs out to 3-400 yards.
My favorite .22 is a dollar bill low at 100.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
My favorite .22 is a dollar bill low at 100.

Horizontal or vertical
Posted By: tzone Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
I don't zero mine at 100 but I shot it at 100 almost every time I take it out.

The bottom of my duplex is right on at 100 and the gun is zero'd at 50
I primarily use a .22LR for squirrel hunting. My rifles are zeroed for 50 yards.
I'd say you should obviously zero at your intended range. My 22's are sighted in at 50.
I keep mine zero’d at 50 yds, it shoots MOG ( minute of gophe) out to 75. At 100 yds there better be no wind.

Regular CCI generally shoot the best for me.
I have a 50' indoor range in the attic of my garage and shop. Works pretty well.

I like A/O adjustable scopes to get the right parallax for close in. Then, I can stretch'em out and check'em out.

I bought this scope from JB, works well on a tricked out 10-22 with Jard trigger, Volquartsen barrel.

DF

Another one. 3-9x33 EFR

DF

Posted By: Tyrone Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
22 silhouette matches have targets at 40 meters, 60 meters, 77 meters, and 100 meters. In my experience with match rifles, shooters would puke with 2 inches at 109 yards, pretty Ok with 1.5 inches, and lottery winners if under an inch. Really with wind, things happen.
Any shooter who is competitive would only have nightmares about using Minimags too. Anyone serious is using Midas or some such.

As a bonus, you'll get less wind drift with the low velocity match grade ammo.
Fiddy
My best ever 22lr 100 yard group. Shot several close to this that calm day, so it wasn't a fluke. Annie 64, 6 oz. trigger, 36X Weaver & Federal 900B.

Had been zeroed at 50 & took 32 clicks up for 100.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Yes. CCI ammo. frown
Posted By: Andy3 Re: 22 LR Zero’d @ 100 yards. - 12/20/21
I shoot subsonic/suppressed .22 lr for rock chuck damage control. A heavy barrel ruger stainless/laminate 77/22 with the muzzle threaded. Ammo is 40 grain CCI subsonic at 1050 fps (pure lead with a bit larger hollow point). I mounted a 10x SWFA super chicken on it, with 40 moa reticle. A 50 yard zero will require 7 moa at 100 yards....40 moa gets me to 260 yards. And yes, I've killed many chucks over 200 yards, including a few out to 275 yards. The accuracy and repeatability of that rig still amazes me, even after all these years of using it. The other thing I find interesting is how it easily dispatches rock chucks.....they are soft and die easily.

For a desert varmint rig, I shoot the same model rifle in 22 mag, using 40 grain winchester jhp. I have a leupold 6x42 on it with the long range duplex. +1" at 75 yards gives me a 100 zero. The dots represent 130 and 165 yards....the top of the post is 200 yards. Off my shooting sticks, a 200 yard jackrabbit is in deep trouble.....providing the wind is minimal. Summertime coyotes require a perfect hit to kill quickly with it, but called in to inside 100 yards, it's no problem with that rifle. It has lots of dogs to it credit.

Andy3
© 24hourcampfire