Home
Posted By: Hastings Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
A terrible thing has happened. I asked my lovely bride to buy some diesel engine oil for my 5600 Ford tractor. She came back with Walmart Super Tech 10W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic which is not for diesel engines and besides that is a store brand probably made by a low bidder.

For you folks that know: Is this decent oil that I could eventually use in my 2005 Toyota Tundra? It usually gets Mobil 1, or Rotella Gas Truck synthetic 5W30. What about my Generac 22 KW standby generator? The ATVs aren't supposed to use synthetic and I don't think it ought to go in that 40 year old diesel tractor.

Anybody out there had long term experience with Walmart's house brand of synthetic oil? Good or bad? I had rather take a beating than go through customer service at Walmart to return it.
Posted By: pahick Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Use it...folks on bobistheoilguy say its good stuff. Personally I used 5w-30 in my truck and I had no issues.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I use the stuff all the time... I believe it is made in the same factory as Mobil 1... same formula? Same PTFE? No idea.

But I use it all the time.

Wrong weight for a tractor (probably), but not sure of your machine. Some diesels do take 30.
Posted By: billtrev Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Pretty sure its made by Warren Oil Co.
Similar to or same as Costco"s Kirkland oil.

Good Stuff...
Posted By: Hastings Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I use the stuff all the time... I believe it is made in the same factory as Mobil 1... same formula? Same PTFE? No idea.

Wrong weight for a tractor (probably), but not sure of your machine. Some diesels do take 30.

The tractor is diesel, the oil is for gas engines. Originally 30 wt. was recommended, but on the advice of my tractor mechanic I went to multi-viscosity 15 W 40 Rotella or Chevron. Only put about 100 hours a year on it so I change it every December.
I buy it. Funny part is, people have been debating oil for decades, but usually sell their vehicle well before it would ever wear out from inferior oil. My Honda has 236k on it right now, i just change my oil every 5k or so with whatever is on sale.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I just read that it's made by Warren Oil Co who also makes Exxon/Mobile and Pennzoil. It looks like it's pretty good stuff, comparable to Mobile 1 but cheaper.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I'd use it in the Toyota IF the owners manual calls for that weight oil. I would not use it in the tractor. I'd do some research regarding the generac, but I'd probably use it if the owners manual called for 10w30 weight. I use Walmart super tech full synthetic 10w30 in all my small gas engines. Pressure washer, log splitter, Honda 4wheeler john deere side by side, and everything else that has a gas engine. Never had an engine give me a problem. I switched all my small engines over to the super tech years ago because I was tired of keeping so many different oils. The key is using the proper weight oil as stated by the manufacturer. Everything else is gravy. Ymmv.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The tractor is diesel, the oil is for gas engines. Originally 30 wt. was recommended, but on the advice of my tractor mechanic I went to multi-viscosity 15 W 40 Rotella or Chevron. Only put about 100 hours a year on it so I change it every December.

Gotcha...

Rotilla makes a 10w-30 and a 30 straight. I have diesels that spec 30... I give them 30 or 10W-30.

As for the oil... if engine specs say 5w-30... I would not personally use a 10w.

Our new Toyota specs 0W-16... yes 0W-16. Just bought a 5 gallon jug of that stuff... crazy rare... crazy expensive.

I do add zinc often anyway... older stuff and small engine gas.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just read that it's made by Warren Oil Co who also makes Exxon/Mobile and Pennzoil. It looks like it's pretty good stuff, comparable to Mobile 1 but cheaper.

Exactly!
Did my research, and got Blessings from Several, Friend's who I consider Experts,
as this it what they've done for a Living, for a Long Time.

Been using it for a few yrs. now, and I am extremely happy with it!

Instead of 30 wt. oil in my several small Engines, we use Full Synthetic, 5w30, in all our small Engines.
A year Later it still Looks New, or Honey Brown!

Lasts a lot longer, and works Better!
A terrible thing has happened. I asked my lovely bride to buy some diesel engine oil for my 5600 Ford tractor. She came back with Walmart Super Tech 10W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic which is not for diesel engines and besides that is a store brand probably made by a low bidder.

For you folks that know: Is this decent oil that I could eventually use in my 2005 Toyota Tundra? It usually gets Mobil 1, or Rotella Gas Truck synthetic 5W30. What about my Generac 22 KW standby generator? The ATVs aren't supposed to use synthetic and I don't think it ought to go in that 40 year old diesel tractor.

Anybody out there had long term experience with Walmart's house brand of synthetic oil? Good or bad? I had rather take a beating than go through customer service at Walmart to return it.

Been Running Heavy Equipment over 40 yrs. and always used Rotella, which I can't Complain about, as a friend told me Lately that Rotella price has skyrocketed!
I'm glad I quit using it years ago!
Been Saving a lot of Money over the years!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
All oil is made to a specification. A retailer has no incentive to exceed that.

Just get a good filter like NAPA gold.
To nitpick, it's Warren Distribution, not Warren Oil Co. that makes oil for WalMart, Costco, and Amazon.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I use it all the time, but buy a better filter. No need to piss away $$$
Posted By: Huntz Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I buy it. Funny part is, people have been debating oil for decades, but usually sell their vehicle well before it would ever wear out from inferior oil. My Honda has 236k on it right now, i just change my oil every 5k or so with whatever is on sale.

^^^^^^^
This
Good Oil... i have been using it for over 600k miles in two trucks
Posted By: GeoW Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
If you have a vehicle or equipment that calls for 10W30, use it up!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21

use it all the time.....0w20 & 5w30

$18 for a 5 qt jug....

just ordered 2 online......free shipping too
Posted By: Old__School Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

---- THIS -----
Spend the extra money on top shelf filters.
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

---- THIS -----

I Agree!
Posted By: Hastings Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21

---- THIS -----

She brought home a Mobil 1 filter Extended Performance filter which is probably good enough, I usually get the Wix or NAPA's best filter. I have it on credible report that she is on the way home with 15W40 Mobil non-synthetic diesel engine oil. Going to call that good enough.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21

Maybe

But walmart guns are total crap

I only buy my plastic stock remingtons from Peepaw’s pistol and rifle emporium.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Lose the receipt? There's always store credit......
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Maybe

I hear they make those Walmart plastic stocks from the empty oil containers.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
They are all made to specs in the US.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Used it before without issue. Same with the Harvest King brand sold at farm & ranch stores.

---- THIS -----

She brought home a Mobil 1 filter Extended Performance filter which is probably good enough, I usually get the Wix or NAPA's best filter. I have it on credible report that she is on the way home with 15W40 Mobil non-synthetic diesel engine oil. Going to call that good enough.

Mobil 1 and Napa filters are most likely made by WIX. They are all quality
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

---- THIS -----

Mobil 1 and Napa filters are most likely made by WIX. They are all quality

MANN+HUMMEL owns WIX and Purolator brands. Mobil says their oil filters are warrantied by M+H.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I've used it in my wife's 2004 Camry....I use the extended drain version since it came out.... says its good for 20K changes...

Ran it for 20K, using Mobil 1 filter that is also sold at Walmart for $10.. used it for the 20K also...

5 w 20 wt used..... after 20K, sent it in to Blackstone and had it analysed.... came back stating oil was still useable and to set the drain 3,000 more next time and follow up with analysis then...TBN was still good also... it took her 3 years to put 20K on the engine... no oil consumption during that 20K run.

after the test, dropped the drain down to 15K intervals... 2 years of so for that...

In my lawn equipment, I run their SuperTech 10W30, marked for ATV use. Last two new pieces I bought.. mower and wheeled weed eater, I've had them for 3 years.. and had them start off with that oil.. no need to add for the 3 year period.. oil still in good shape.. meant for air cooled engines...

in the vehicles I run for myself, I use 5 W 40 Mobil Delvac, or Rotella T 6 ....5 W 40. 15,000 mile filter changes ( Mobil 1 filters) & 30,000 mile drains... both of those vehicles have over 300K on them... visual inspection of the heads tho, show NO varnish or Oil Sludge build up...analysis has come back from Blackstone telling me oil is still useable.

I believe in Synthetic oil, and using the Mobil filter.. at least with my type of driving, it holds up well, and I've been getting real high mileage out of them doing their jobs.

Replaced the head on my 4 Runner with 537,000 miles on it... 25K oil changes since new, head had NO varnish or sludge build up on it... have had that truck since Sept 1987.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by slumlord

Maybe

I hear they make those Walmart plastic stocks from the empty oil containers.

That's why you should recycle those #2 plastics.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I was in Walmart earlier today. They don't have enough diesel oil of any brand to change the oil in my Dodge. I don't need any for another 6 months, though.
Posted By: 5spd Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
I've been using their full synthetics for eons, (more than 20 years) in 5 different vehicles. Not 1 problem with supertech oil, ever. Usually run the full synthetics 7500 to 10k, yup darn good stuff imo
Posted By: Szumi Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/24/21
What is the api spec your vehicle needs? If the oil meets that you are good to go.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/25/21
Slick is Slick. Use whatever oil is cheapest. Change it at a realistic interval. 5000 miles for me and my mostly hiqhway miles. 3000 if it is severe duty or mostly low speed stop and start. Realistically with the synthetics you could probably safely double the above intervals. I have used the Wal Mart oil in my last several vehicles. 2007 F150 with the dreaded 5.4 I sold it with 220000 on it in 2016 neighbor is still driving it but I heard he finally replaced the cam phasers. 225000 on my 2016 f1510 with 5.0 no engine issues yet. My commuter car is a 2013 Kia Soul that my wife drove for the last 8.5 years and I am now driving daily it has 140,000 trouble free miles. 2004 Taurus that was used and abused by my wife and son until 2 years ago. 180,000 miles on it no engine issues the car just finally rusted in two. Been using the Wal Mart oil since it became readily available it seems to work well.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Walmart Super Tech Oil - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That's what a fully certified Mercedes Tech tells me.
You can find all sorts of oil info on the bobistheoilguy forums.
© 24hourcampfire