Home
I just dropped $1100 on a set of Michelin Tires with a 60K mile rating

This is for my wife's car and I wanted something I would feel good about her driving but damn...I remember the days of $60 tires and this bites. I'm still in that mindset when I go get tires from a real tire place.

For my car, I made the mistake of getting some off brand name called Vercelli. I read the reviews on it and they were supposedly good all season tires but the common complaint was they were loud

JFC, loud is an understatement - people get in the car that ride with me and think I'm driving around in second gear - its a roar.

There is no shortage of cheap chinese brand tires out there. I could get a set of 40K mile rating tires with some crazy name like Lionheart or GMax for about $600 (or Vercelli) out the door. Good enough for me - but its worth the extra $500 for piece of mind. This will be (I hope) the last set of tires I put on this car so its a buy once, cry once situation.

Dag, tires are a serious hit to the pocket book.

I look at it this way. Your tires are the only thing that keeps your $40k vehicle hooked up to the road. The most important consumable on your car/truck by far IMO. I'm used to paying north of a grand and just do it both for my truck and her SUV.

Bought 5 of these Coopers in March '21...they've jumped $100 each since then

285-70x17's

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-st-maxx
Originally Posted by KFWA

This is for my wife's car and I wanted something I would feel good about her driving but damn...I remember the days of $60 tires and this bites. I'm still in that mindset when I go get tires from a real tire place.

For my car, I made the mistake of getting some off brand name called Vercelli. I read the reviews on it and they were supposedly good all season tires but the common complaint was they were loud

JFC, loud is an understatement - people get in the car that ride with me and think I'm driving around in second gear - its a roar.

There is no shortage of cheap chinese brand tires out there. I could get a set of 40K mile rating tires with some crazy name like Lionheart or GMax for about $600 (or Vercelli) out the door. Good enough for me - but its worth the extra $500 for piece of mind. This will be (I hope) the last set of tires I put on this car so its a buy once, cry once situation.

I'll second that and agree that TRUCK tires are too damn expensive. Go to walmart, if you want a good deal on car tires.. I just put a brand new set of dura tracs on my Tundra and they were not cheap.. They do work well in the snow though.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'll second that and agree that TRUCK tires are too damn expensive. Go to walmart, if you want a good deal on car tires..

And a bunch of jack offs working on your vehicle.

I used to think that Firestone was a good "in-between" tire but it seems like now they either sell their name on the high dollar stuff, or offer you some brand like Primewall for the more affordable range.
I just paid $1K for a set of Michelin Defender LTX's for my wife's Highlander. More tire than she needs in most situations. However, living in the country and driving 80 miles a day round trip, as you said, worth the peace of mind.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'll second that and agree that TRUCK tires are too damn expensive. Go to walmart, if you want a good deal on car tires..

Everyone's a jackoff that works on your vehicle. Mostly stupid [bleep] anyway.. no matter where you go..
Just popped a tire last week and needed to buy a replacement. Fortunately the spare was the same as the other 4 originals so that allowed me to put that tire on the better rim and have four matching tires. I then bought a better tire for the spare as I will need all new tires before next winter. Everything good is now $200 and up. Bought a 17" Cooper AT C4 for that with the military discount from Discount Tire. They said prices are going up. Your purchase cost today could be a cost savings compared to next year. I may buy the other 3 if I see a sale.
It's Biden's fault those $4,000 freight shipping containers now cost $15-$20K with the same crap inside.
I guess I'm gonna go ahead and throw new rotors and pads on if the weather is tolerable. Just get all that behind me with one big sting to the wallet

Everyone's a jackoff that works on your vehicle. Mostly stupid [bleep] anyway.. no matter where you go..

Hardly.
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Just popped a tire last week and needed to buy a replacement. Fortunately the spare was the same as the other 4 originals so that allowed me to put that tire on the better rim and have four matching tires. I then bought a better tire for the spare as I will need all new tires before next winter. Everything good is now $200 and up. Bought a 17" Cooper AT C4 for that with the military discount from Discount Tire. They said prices are going up. Your purchase cost today could be a cost savings compared to next year. I may buy the other 3 if I see a sale.

How old was the spare? Age, not mileage.
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

yea, that was my concern, Costco quoted me this price about 2 months ago and I kept thinking I'd find a cheaper quality alternative, went by Discount Tire last week and they were $1300 which made Costco seem reasonable, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Lots of stuff is back ordered too.
Discounts around here will price match.
I run 10 ply rated Defender LTX on my truck and Suburban in the summer, Cooper Discoverer snow tires in the winter. I wore out the Michelin’s on my truck and just left the snow tires on this past year since they would only be good for one more winter anyway. I’ve got the same snow tire on the Burb but not going to run them after March. Sadly, Cooper discontinue that model last year but I got a set for less than $600 out the door. Best set of tires I’ve owned lately!
You gave 1100 for a set of car tires?

Have you gotten your booster shot this week?
Not to mention ALL of the manufacturers putting 18-20" tires on everything.

Ridiculous too me.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Ridiculous too me.

Rarely makes a difference in price these days.

I didn't give any more for a set of 18s a month ago than I did for 17s that were bought 2 years ago.

The 18" tires are 10 ply and the 17" are 6 ply.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

yea I feel that way too, but it is what it is. That's the going price for a set of brand name tires that have some road life. At least in my neck of the woods. I've been checking tires prices for 2 months at different places. This is 245/45/20's

Ridiculous too me.

I didn't give any more for a set of 18s a month ago than I did for 17s that were bought 2 years ago.

Price them today though...it changes weekly in some cases

Ridiculous too me.

I get that, just saying wheel diameter doesn't play as much of a part in it as some believe, that used to be the case but not so much anymore.

Those days are long gone.

I hear ya... What you spent is only 40% of what's it's gonna cost me to replace the tires on my F-450.. eek
I'm a fan of General Altimax RT43 tires. Head to head comparisons show them to be the best of any tire in their price range. In some cases it shows them to be better than tires that cost much more than them.

https://www.tiredeets.com/general-altimax-rt43-review/
I also run Michelin Defenders on my Highlander. They were $200 a tire when I got them two years ago. They're the best tires I've ever run.

Anyone who thinks $1000 or so for four tires is outrageous hasn't priced a Rem 870 lately.
I went shopping for those Michelin's myself a few weeks back and was getting those same four number quotes for 255/55R/20's. Then I tried our local Fleet Farm automotive store and scored a very good deal. $689.76 for four Defender LTX tires plus tax $37.94, mounting and balancing $138.54. I happened to hit their December 20% off tire sale. Then the lady said that if I applied for their Fleet Farm Visa card that I'd get another 10% off. All good so far and then Michelin is sending me a $70.00 Visa card for their Winter Promotion. Because I'd spent more than $500.00 on my new Fleet Farm credit card, they are mailing me a $25.00 store credit thank me gift. Instead of paying them another $12.00 for disposal of my old tires, I took them with and sold them to a used tire dealer in town for $80.00.
They ride and stop a whole bench better than the Bridgestone Dueler OEM tires. Michelin tires are the #1 rated tire for SUV's according to Consumer Reports.

yea I feel that way too, but it is what it is. That's the going price for a set of brand name tires that have some road life. At least in my neck of the woods. I've been checking tires prices for 2 months at different places. This is 245/45/20's

20's?

Hahahaha!

Gotta get a new car because the old one was nickel and dimeing us to death!

Sheesh....

these guys heard there was a tire sale at TSC.....

4 michelin latitudes on the '13 highlander with alignment with credit card was $1700.
The installer met tireracks price and included balance and installation (which tirerack doesn't)
Batteries too, boys & girls. NAPA Legend group 65 with 850CCA was about $145 after tax. Prefer to support the local guy over Wal Mart when possible.
You guys are making feel good.. Wifes car needs tires, and my Duramax has 7-year-old batteries LOL
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Batteries too, boys & girls. NAPA Legend group 65 with 850CCA was about $145 after tax. Prefer to support the local guy over Wal Mart when possible.

Gave $185 w tax for the Legend in the old truck a couple months ago.
Originally Posted by richj
4 michelin latitudes on the '13 highlander with alignment with credit card was $1700.
The installer met tireracks price and included balance and installation (which tirerack doesn't)

Schitt, how much for an alignment?
This reminds me of my post 12 months ago when I recommended Nokian 265/75/16 E 123 rated tires at $80 each and TireSlayer91 ripped my ass.

FYI... I ignored him and bought 25 tires... status update... Nokians are bad ass tires... Rock Proof... and West Virginia proof (mostly).

BTW... if you think tires are expensive NOW... just wait... Joey has a plan to really fugg you.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
You guys are making feel good.. Wifes car needs tires, and my Duramax has 7-year-old batteries LOL

I usually replace them at 5 years. This one was a bit past that and gave up the ghost on Sunday.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I also run Michelin Defenders on my Highlander. They were $200 a tire when I got them two years ago. They're the best tires I've ever run.

Anyone who thinks $1000 or so for four tires is outrageous hasn't priced a Rem 870 lately.

The set of Michelin’s on my 2004 Dodge, have 80,000 miles on them, still lots of tread. I don’t buy anything else.
Michelins are my top choice.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The set of Michelin’s on my 2004 Dodge, have 80,000 miles on them, still lots of tread. I don’t buy anything else.

Copy that... I have run lots of the 123/120 Michelins and gotten crazy miles out of them (pushed one set to 105k miles... granted they were nasty bald when replaced). For the money I will ALWAYS pick Nokians (since discovering them). Granted my driving is far more harsh than Texas.

Good luck in whatever you pick.
When I need to replace tires on my PU or wife’s Tahoe, I buy Michelin’s and have for more than 10 years. They last longer, give decent traction and are quieter than many others.
Almost a grand for four Toyos for the truck.

They weren’t in stock so it took almost a month and only three came in. Some a-hole must have stolen one in shipment and it was almost another month for the last one. 😡

Ridiculous too me.

I get that, just saying wheel diameter doesn't play as much of a part in it as some believe, that used to be the case but not so much anymore.

Those days are long gone.

They have to clear those ginormous rotors and calipers.

Otherwise I would still be running 16s on every rig.
Just put 4 Cooper Arctics on the truck - all I could find. Still cost just under 1k
Originally Posted by richj

Go back, get your change.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Just put 4 Cooper Arctics on the truck - all I could find. Still cost just under 1k

Coopers at Walmart $115 each delivered.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Discoverer-A-T-All-Season-265-75R16-116T-Tire/450660968

Not Arctics, but still fair tires for a light load.
Thinking of Perelli Scorpions for my Jeep Cherokee
I paid $400 for truck tires in 2012
I just wore out a set of Kelly Springfields at 30K Was going to buy Michelin BUT they don't rate like they use too so I bought Uniroyals 650bucks 17"....the real shocker was brakes four corners one caliber 1K WTF
I used to manage of 65 light duty trucks as part of a larger mining mobile equipment fleet. Toyo tires in load range E is what we put on most vehicles since most miles were off-road. Michelin including BFG did ok. Goodyear were always a bitch to keep balanced - out of round issues. Firestones came apart on us. I left that pit of despair three years ago.

I needed a set of tires for my 3/4 t Dodge this fall but with the work slowdown in California, I couldn’t get the Toyos I wanted. BFGs wear too fast as did the set of Coopers I was replacing. I was out of time so I ended up with a set of Goodyear Ultraterrains from Discount tire. I had sworn Goodyear off but the guy insisted these were great. I must say, I’ve been really happy with them. Apparently some body figured it out that square tires don’t sell. Got them during the Thanksgiving day sale and was out the door for $1000 285/70-17 LR E. Been out running around in 12” of snow a few times now with them. Give them a look.

Depends upon the car. Easy to spend far more than that.
I wish I could find something I like as well or better than the Toyo M-55.

I have been running them since 1985 on a variety of vehicles.
10 ply 235-85-16 on a 65 GMC K 2500 which routinely weighed out at 12,000 lb.

A set of siped M-55 in 265-75-16 on a K-5 Blazer were the best winter tires I ever owned.

6 and 8 ply 235-75-15 on a K-5 Blazer, and on an S-10 Blazer.

10 ply 255-85-16 on a 75 Dodge W 200, and on a K-5 Blazer.

The last set I bought went on an 84 GMC K 2500 diesel. Ten years and 40K miles later, I traded the truck for a 96 GMC K 2500, and swapped the wheels and tires onto the 96. Another ten years later, the same tires were fine for summer, but too worn for winter traction. They went with the truck when it sold.

I still have some M-55s which went onto trailers when they lost traction. Some are over thirty years old, and still going strong.

I am wishing I could wear out the tires which came on this 02 GMC, so I could buy my last set of M-55s.

Yes, they are a bit spend initially. But not bad for a tire that will run 60 to 70 K.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I wish I could find something I like as well or better than the Toyo M-55.

I have been running them since 1985 on a variety of vehicles.
10 ply 235-85-16 on a 65 GMC K 2500 which routinely weighed out at 12,000 lb.

A set of siped M-55 in 265-75-16 on a K-5 Blazer were the best winter tires I ever owned.

6 and 8 ply 235-75-15 on a K-5 Blazer, and on an S-10 Blazer.

10 ply 255-85-16 on a 75 Dodge W 200, and on a K-5 Blazer.

The last set I bought went on an 84 GMC K 2500 diesel. Ten years and 40K miles later, I traded the truck for a 96 GMC K 2500, and swapped the wheels and tires onto the 96. Another ten years later, the same tires were fine for summer, but too worn for winter traction. They went with the truck when it sold.

I still have some M-55s which went onto trailers when they lost traction. Some are over thirty years old, and still going strong.

I am wishing I could wear out the tires which came on this 02 GMC, so I could buy my last set of M-55s.

Yes, they are a bit spend initially. But not bad for a tire that will run 60 to 70 K.

I like Toyos... I have one or two sets mounted on stuff now. Not M55s, but still Toyos

I run these (different size) on various stuff. I am not disappointed so far. About 1/2 the price. Aggressive, but obviously not as aggressive at the M55s

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atturo-Trail-Blade-A-T-LT235-85R16-120-116S-Tire/517054508
Toyo’s are my go to. MT’s on the Tacoma (235/85R16)
And AT’s on the wrangler Rubicon 265/75R16. The Land Cruiser is getting AT’s ASAP.
Tried to get M55’s on my work truck and my dealer couldn’t get them.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Toyo’s are my go to. MT’s on the Tacoma (235/85R16)
And AT’s on the wrangler Rubicon 265/75R16. The Land Cruiser is getting AT’s ASAP.
Tried to get M55’s on my work truck and my dealer couldn’t get them.

I used to run M55's on my work truck. They were hell for stout, but noisy. At the time they cost 35% more than Michelins. They really only made sense if you were on gravel a lot.
Had to buy tires this year for my wife's car and my truck over 2 G's for tires. Ouch.
I just did tires on the wifes car and one of my trucks. The car got firestone weathergrips. Ive never been a firestone guy, but since my fleet at work had to have them....i bought the weather grips....they are killer in wet and snow, like as good as any snow tire good.

The truck wears 35" 18s and I went with the pro comp at as they were only 1300 bux.

For guys with big tires, I suggest you check out centramatic tire balancers. They are dynamic balances that actually work. I have not balanced a set of tires in years and they run 100% smooth.
I guess I'm gonna go ahead and throw new rotors and pads on if the weather is tolerable. Just get all that behind me with one big sting to the wallet

Get the rotors turned and replace the pads & rotors yourself - it's not difficult and there's plenty of how-to videos online. You'll save a bunch of cash doing it yourself.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Get the rotors turned and replace the pads & rotors yourself - it's not difficult and there's plenty of how-to videos online. You'll save a bunch of cash doing it yourself.

oh yea, I plan to, I generally do all my brake work, I even worked up to using a flare kit to run new lines on my '91
I'd rather spend money on tires than pay my deductable.
Most of the time you come out better just replacing the rotors, they are cheap and by the time you turn them they are so thin they warp the first time you get on the brakes hard!

Yeah, it's about time for new shoes for the Taco. I'm almost certainly going with Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains again. I'm expecting $1600-$1800 for a set. The flip side to cost is they last me a lot longer than anything else I've tried. I've had 2 sets get me over 40K miles each and I've never gotten past 25K with any other tire .. many sets didn't make 20K. Steep, tire spinning climbs on gravel logging roads don't make for long tire life.
Those $600 Chinese tires probably have about $12 worth of materials in them, all mined with slave labor, and each set puts 1.3 American workers into the unemployment lines.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Those $600 Chinese tires probably have about $12 worth of materials in them, all mined with slave labor, and each set puts 1.3 American workers into the unemployment lines.

Atturs are NOT made in China...

Bleed some more ballz...

Google Fu is so much harder... than saying stupid chit.

But please... don't catch the Rona again... and again... and again...and again...and again...and again... just because I am taunting you.

That would be such a sad emotional rebuttal.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

BTW... it is T1-11 not T-111 stupid.

Google it dumbass... if you have the energy after dying from the Rona again... and again...and again...and again...and again.

I found out the hard way that cheap tires cost just as much as good ones in the long run. I tried different "sale tires" on my truck and it shimmied and rode like crap. On top of that they wore out 2x as fast. After I started biting the bullet and getting Michelins, it cured the shimmy and they lasted more than twice as long.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by reivertom

I found out the hard way that cheap tires cost just as much as good ones in the long run. I tried different "sale tires" on my truck and it shimmied and rode like crap. On top of that they wore out 2x as fast. After I started biting the bullet and getting Michelins, it cured the shimmy and they lasted more than twice as long.

yea, I had to find out the hard way too
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Bought 5 of these Coopers in March '21...they've jumped $100 each since then

285-70x17's

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-st-maxx

You don't know loud till you have a set of these. I just replaced the fronts with some Falken At3's - not full mudders but so much quieter. Happy with them even though they were my 2nd choice behind Toyo AT3, I will say the Coopers got my 2WD F150 out of some stuff I had NO business getting into . Did manage to get stuck once but could not ask a whole lot more from a tire in mud.
© 24hourcampfire