Home
Posted By: NDsnowman RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Always enjoyed the games he called. Had a sense of humor and always taught you something about the game.
Posted By: SKane Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Boom!

Godspeed, John. frown
Posted By: slumlord Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Gonna call it

Jimmy Olsen!!!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Damn.
RIP.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Took the train home.

RIP JM

🦫
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Took the train home.

RIP JM

🦫

Yep.

Big bus to the sky.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
I loved watching that guy coach and as a commentator blew everyone away. RIP
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
One of the Great Ones.

RIP

MM
Posted By: 5sdad Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
And, just to clarify, the ground CAN cause a fumble.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
I won't even watch the new NFL....this sucks...bad.
He was freaking great.
I watched football for 50 years until these liberal f u x took it over.
He was a legend.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
A great one!
Posted By: broomd Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by Salmonella
He was freaking great.
He was a legend.

This x2 ^^^^
Posted By: Fubarski Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
He was great in Shreck.
Posted By: saddlering Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Dam how old was he? RIP John
Originally Posted by saddlering
Dam how old was he? RIP John

85 y/o.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Doink!

Loved Madden and Summerall. Best team for football broadcast ever.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Doink!

EVER. If they were doing it, it was a marquee matchup partly because of them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
An American icon for sure
Posted By: Remsen Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Other than fog and asian gangs, the place I grew up (Daly City) wasn't known for much...but it was where Madden grew up too. I hope heaven is nicer than Daly City, Coach, you were one of the few greats.
Posted By: Morewood Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Aw man, I'm sorry to read this. John Madden truly loved the game of football. He had tons of charisma and great sense of humor.

I once met John Madden in the lounge of a fancy Las Vegas restaurant. Shook his catcher's mitt sized hand. Nice guy.
He was having cocktails with Jerry Tarkanian.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Doink!

Greatest ever...πŸ˜“
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
A full, productive life and a great run at 85.

RIP, JM.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21

John Madden reminds me of John Candy in a roly poly way . . .

Didn't he hand out Turkey Leg awards for Thanksgiving Day games?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Dang, I hate to hear this. RIP to John. The sport has really slipped since he left commentating.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Damn,...

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Madden. You were one of the big voices of the game when it was still something that could be enjoyed as a diversion from daily life; the tail end of the golden years of the game. Thanks for the memories and RIP.
Posted By: slumlord Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Was it Covid?
Posted By: efw Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
His video game ruled

Rip
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
RIP Coach.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Doink!

Greatest ever...πŸ˜“

Yep. Back when Football was still just Football.
RIP Sir !
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gonna call it

Jimmy Olsen!!!

Does it count if you don’t post a FOX News Link ? 😜

Here ya go:

NFL legend John Madden dead at 85

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-super-bowl-coach-john-madden-dead-at-85

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Aw man, I'm sorry to read this. John Madden truly loved the game of football. He had tons of charisma and great sense of humor.

I once met John Madden in the lounge of a fancy Las Vegas restaurant. Shook his catcher's mitt sized hand. Nice guy.
He was having cocktails with Jerry Tarkanian.

Shouldn't judge a man by the company he keeps.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
RIP.
Posted By: Redneck Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
RIP Coach....
Posted By: logger Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Turduckin
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Madden was brilliant ,he had a great football brain .
Posted By: FWP Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
They just had a show about him on TV over the weekend. I always liked that guy!
Posted By: old_willys Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Doink!

+1
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
He made some great video games...
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
He was freaking great.
He was a legend.

X1000
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
I remember his Ray Guy story. I guess they were way ahead, playing in a dome. Ray said to him something like "I bet I can stick a ball in the rafters', John said go for it.
Posted By: Springcove Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
He was freaking great.
He was a legend.

This^^^^ He was great as a coach and an even better broadcaster.

RIP
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Damn, used to ride our bikes as kids to watch the team practice at the El Rancho Tropicana in the 70's.
Posted By: Morewood Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
"It was just kids having fun and life being good," says Stabler. "We couldn't wait to get to training camp, to get away from wives and girlfriends, play some football, have a few drinks at night. An do that for eight weeks."

Yes, the daily schedule involved football. The two-a-days in Santa Rosa were the hardest practices they'd endure during the season. The players are convinced that many of their fourth-quarter comebacks were due not only to relaxed regular-season workouts but to the two-a-days in the Santa Rosa heat, which shed the offseason poundage and prepared their legs for the season to come.

"Madden worked the piss out of us in training camp," Banaszak says. "These guys today go out in their underwear and baseball caps and sunglasses and don't put pads on. We practiced twice a day in pads."

Speaking of underwear, some of the storied libidinal craziness at the El Rancho, according to Stabler's own book, took place in the quarters that he shared with Biletnikoff, Banaszak, defensive end Tony Cline, and linebacker Dan Conners: suite 147, with Stabler and Cline in one room, the other three in a second.

"The collecting of female undergarments," Stabler wrote, "became an annual rite of training camp for many of the Raiders . . . I liked to tack my collection up on the walls."

Today Stabler refuses to reaffirm the tale. Players avoid questions about panties. A few players do recall collections pinned to the wall of suite 147, but Stabler deflects queries about his own tale of collecting such artifacts, a thrice-divorced bachelor no longer eager to surf the craziness of the past.

"Hey," says Banaszak, by way of explaining his teammates' unwillingness to fork over the details. "Some of these guys got grandkids now." But "Rooster" can't forget a particular pair, draped on a lampshade: "Mesh."

But even the two-a-days were not often without some sort of diversion. Like the day Ted Hendricks set up the Cinzano umbrella on the Santa Rosa practice field, so that the post-workout refreshment could be served up in high style. "I borrowed it from one of the Italian restaurants in Santa Rosa," Hendricks recalls now. "I put it out there for the afternoon practice, right in the middle of the field. With a table and two chairs." He enlisted another player to serve as waiter, with a towel draped over his arm. But that one paled compared to Hendricks's most storied stunt.

For a break in routine, the team was practicing a few miles to the south at Sonoma State's modest football field-an idyllic, secluded natural bowl, flavored by the soft northern Californian summer air, bordered on one side by a low, grassy hill and on the other by a stand of tall, fragrant eucalyptus trees, which on this morning looked down upon a cluster of men in football uniforms, stretching at the start of the afternoon session. Madden gathered the players together to begin the practice.

"Where's Hendricks?" he asked.

He was answered by a man in a Raider uniform and pads emerging from behind one of the end zones perched astride a large roan horse and wearing a black German army helmet embellished with the Raider logo on each temple. Expertly, Hendricks galloped the horse onto the field, dismounted at the 50, and announced himself ready for practice.

"Instead of having a long spear," Monte Johnson remembers, "he had an orange traffic cone on his hand."

Madden was entirely nonplussed.

"On another team," says van Eeghen, "you start a practice like that, and someone's gonna be fined, demoted, or sent home. But it had nothing to do with lack of respect. He was on time, he practiced hard. He didn't violate anything. John loved that. You can't script stuff like that. That's what our team was about."

"It really just happened by chance," Hendricks says now, playing it all down, unsuccessfully. "A friend's daughter was taking her horse out to ride nearby. So I asked if I could borrow the horse for about 15 minutes. Madden had everyone gathered together. That's when I rode out onto the field. I galloped him up to the 50, jumped off, and said I was ready. It didn't faze the team. Or Madden."

"That's nice, Ted," Madden said. "Now get rid of the horse."
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Both him and Pat were some of the best.

He was a bus riding fool for sure.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
He will missed
Posted By: Shag Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
John Maddens Raiders were the baddest mother fers in all of professional sports. Ex Chief says " The Raiders are coming to town, lock the doors. Hide the women and children"... The most notorious players to ever set foot on the field...
Posted By: stevelyn Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Sorry to hear this.

Memory Eternal.
Posted By: tzone Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
GOAT

RIP John Madden.

The games were not the same when you stepped away from the mic.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I remember his Ray Guy story. I guess they were way ahead, playing in a dome. Ray said to him something like "I bet I can stick a ball in the rafters', John said go for it.

If I remember correctly, it was a Pro Bowl game in the brand new Houston Astrodome. Madden was coaching and Ray Guy, his punter with the Raiders who made All Pro that year, was eyeballing the low slung scoreboard hanging above the field. Late in the game Guy asked Madden if he would let him try to hit it with a punt.
At first he said no, but being Madden and the game just a Pro Bowl, he told him what the hell, go ahead.
So Guy hit the scoreboard like he figured he could, and the Astrodome people ended up having to raise and modify it as a result.

Loved the old Raiders teams that Madden coached.

RIP JM.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
Madden was hilarious. Old school baller.

God speed.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
One of the greats.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: RIP John Madden - 12/29/21
I recall reading, Tom Laundry, telling his players, if you get the chance, watch the Raiders, they do it right.
Originally Posted by Shag
John Maddens Raiders were the baddest mother fers in all of professional sports. Ex Chief says " The Raiders are coming to town, lock the doors. Hide the women and children"... The most notorious players to ever set foot on the field...

Warren Wells
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: RIP John Madden - 12/30/21
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

If I remember correctly, it was a Pro Bowl game in the brand new Houston Astrodome. Madden was coaching and Ray Guy, his punter with the Raiders who made All Pro that year, was eyeballing the low slung scoreboard hanging above the field. Late in the game Guy asked Madden if he would let him try to hit it with a punt.
At first he said no, but being Madden and the game just a Pro Bowl, he told him what the hell, go ahead.
So Guy hit the scoreboard like he figured he could, and the Astrodome people ended up having to raise and modify it as a result.

Loved the old Raiders teams that Madden coached.

RIP JM.

That's likely it, thank you. I know it's been at least 30 years since I heard it.
© 24hourcampfire