Home
My grandparents used to get a dump-truck load dumped behind the house, it sure burned hot. Made the living room pot belly stove glow if you didn't keep it choked down.

I browsed online a bit and saw coal for sale in little bags and boxes up to 40lbs.. Just curious if some areas can still get it delivered in bulk.
When I was a wee lad we lived in a house with a coal furnace. I had to shovel coal into the feed hopper every few days and clean out the clinkers.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
When I was a wee lad we lived in a house with a coal furnace. I had to shovel coal into the feed hopper every few days and clean out the clinkers.

I remember [trying] to help my grandad shovel coal into the furnace in his cellar.
In Nevada?
Originally Posted by Raeford

I remember [trying] to help my grandad shovel coal into the furnace in his cellar.

Anybody seen it delivered in bulk? In the last 30 years?
It comes out of the ground here.
Can get run of the mine if you are cheap, and are willing to deal with it.
Two coal yards within 20 miles, buy by the ton or delivered.

Used to take a Lesbaru wagon filled with buckets.
I shoveled the buckets, avoided fines. Weighed in and out on the scale. 5-600#/trip.
Have to carry it in anyway,
so it was easier than jumping in and out of the pickup.
The coal yard is only 1 mile from work, worked out great.

Can get Anthracite bulk here too. It's hauled about 200 miles from
those mines.
Can still get it here in ND. Cheapest heat going. In the late seventies I had a 14 by 70 mobile home. Electric was costing me 250 per month. Got a coal burner and with it delivered to my yard it was 22 dollars to heat with.keep it hot as a sweat box to. Edk
I’d burn it now if I could get a few tons delivered.

All I need is some shaker grates for my OWB Heatmor
Originally Posted by ol_mike
In Nevada?

Nope, Cedar City, Utah.

There was a coal bin built into the basement and the delivery truck would use a conveyor to fill it up.
Pellet stoves kilt the coal industry.

🦫
Grew up burning lignite, dealing with dust, clinkers, and ash. Haul your own (we did) and it was cheap! We had a drop chute directly into the coal room, which abutted the furnace.

Don't miss it. At all!

There are coal seams still burning (lightening, mostly) underground in ND, and perhaps elsewhere. That orange/pink rock known as scoria that some people use on driveways and for decorative, I understand is naturally cooked clay from same, long ago.

Oh sure.

We used to get semi loads from northern Wyoming.

We are covered up with coal here....but it's pretty soft.

Wyoming anthracite burned cleaner and screwed up your automatic stove less.

There are several old mines around here. It's softer brown coal.

Several places around here still burn Wyoming coal.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Pellet stoves kilt the coal industry.

🦫

They sure jacked the price of pellets once everyone had a pellet burner.
I’d like to get some to forge with. Hard to get here.
when I looked into it about 4 years ago it seem like getting coal was more mobbed up than the teamsters.
Nope. I know about 20 people that heat with Coal.

The "green" (communist) movement is what is closing down the coal industry. Not pellet stoves. Electric generation is the largest consumer of coal in the USA. If "green cars" become a new type of car (either requested or shoved down the throats of Americans) the part that no one is talking about is the fact it will demand at least 2X the coal burring to make enough electracy to charge them. One spokesman for the Auto Workers is saying it will be between 4 and 5.5 times more coal needed per year than waht the current demand is.. I think it's a guess as to how much more will be needed precisely, but what is not in question is that it will be A LOT more.

Alexandra O-Communist small-cortex is not speaking about that set of facts much.
Maybe she needs expert advice -----------------but could not get any time with Greta Thurnberg.
laugh
Somebody's buying it, we have coal trains coming down from the north everyday. A lot of them are nothing but coal and the train seems to go on forever.
None of them are thinking about where all of that electricity will come from. If they are there definitely aren't any ideas being presented
I can still get it here. I bought a 6' pickup bed overflowing for about $45 a couple years ago.
Not sure what it's going for now.
They don’t give a damn where electricity comes from. They want to shut down everything and control everyone. The way we live. Welhere we go. What we eat. Our education. Our travel. Our lives. It’s about control.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I can still get it here. I bought a 6' pickup bed overflowing for about $45 a couple years ago.

No Idea what that means as far as a load.
Or how long.

But my 8" 93 Dodge will hold 2 ton. Barely. Corners full piled about as high
as will stay on. Be careful with turns.

20 years ago that was $200 for anthracite. Twice that plus now.
Noe sure if hard nut (bitumious) could be had for that.

Picking it up at the mine is much cheaper.
Often cheap. Cash in pocket kinda thing.
No my kind of deal.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
None of them are thinking about where all of that electricity will come from. If they are there definitely isn't any ideas being presented

They all think the windmills will generate enough electricity for everything to be electric.

Yes, here in central pa bulk coal is still a thing
My grandparents used to get a dump-truck load dumped behind the house, it sure burned hot. Made the living room pot belly stove glow if you didn't keep it choked down.

I browsed online a bit and saw coal for sale in little bags and boxes up to 40lbs.. Just curious if some areas can still get it delivered in bulk.

I think a place in Harrisonburg still sells it by the bag or bulk, not sure if they deliver. I had an uncle in WV who worked in the mines, he brought his home in a pickup. Amazing heat but dirty, I had an aunt who would come and wash down the walls every spring. Spent a night sleeping on top of the covers at -15 outside in that house.
szihn,

Alexandra O-Communist small-cortex is not speaking about that set of facts much.
Maybe she needs expert advice -----------------but could not get any time with Greta Thurnberg.

laugh

Good info. thank you'all.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

No Idea what that means as far as a load.
Or how long.

But my 8" 93 Dodge will hold 2 ton. Barely. Corners full piled about as high
as will stay on. Be careful with turns.

20 years ago that was $200 for anthracite. Twice that plus now.
Noe sure if hard nut (bitumious) could be had for that.

Picking it up at the mine is much cheaper.
Often cheap. Cash in pocket kinda thing.
No my kind of deal.

I don't know the weight. I just pulled up and talked to a guy and he used his loader to fill up my 6' Ram bed. I handed him the cash and crawled out of there. Truck looked like I put a Carolina Squat on it.
I used to shovel stocker coal in the hopper with a steel scoop shovel.
People were still using it around here when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's and there were coal truck deliveries, but I haven't seen a coal burning stove or furnace in decades.
My furnace grayed are shot. Ok for wood, not coal.
I wish I could buy new ones, but the manufacturer doesn't make
them anymore. I might try to get them cast.

Anyway, if I had grates, we would use some coal.
Wood is ok, but it's not even close when you really need heat.
And coal is so steady.
I pick up tires on the side of the road an burn them. a 265/70/R17 will burn for 2 days.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
My furnace grayed are shot. Ok for wood, not coal.
I wish I could buy new ones, but the manufacturer doesn't make
them anymore. I might try to get them cast.

Anyway, if I had grates, we would use some coal.
Wood is ok, but it's not even close when you really need heat.
And coal is so steady.

Get some Osage Orange if you want wood heat. Too much of it will cook a stove or flue pipe.

I see it delivered in bulk just about every single day.
When I was a kid there were 3 coal yards within 25 miles, in Windsor and White River Junction, VT, and in Lebanon, NH. I remember the hopper cars on elevated coal trestles throwing up a cloud of dust when they dumped their loads down into the storage bins. I can't remember the last time that I saw coal anywhere except at a power plant or in a railroad car on its way to a power plant.
Do they make coal powered air conditioners? It's 81 here today and the humidity is miserable.
I miss the smell of burning coal and burning gob piles (late dumps).
Used to go with Dad & get a truckload when I was little. I saw somewhere that diamonds were formed by pressure & were found in coal. I took a 3 lb hammer & made coal powder in driveway, Dad was pissed.
In the middle of the midwest, there were not enough trees to heat, or cook with wood, when the railroads were built, farmers could buy coal, and ship crops, and livestock to market.
I just an old lump of coal but Imma gonna be a diamond someday.
Fort Lenord Wood, old barracks, when the fireman in that red helmet liner headed to the shower, don't take long if you want a hot shower. laugh
It seems I've read, AP Hill, built his mansion to allow a coal truck to back into the furnace room.
I just an old lump of coal but Imma gonna be a diamond someday.

An old picture, but they still use scissor lift dump trucks to get the height to chute the coal in the basement.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
My grandfather was a coal miner in PENN for most of his life
I used to get a half load of "house coal" for the deer camp every other year, but I haven't seen it for sale in a few years, around here anyway.
With electric heat, some is likely coal heat.
Just got back from spending 4 weeks over at the cabin between Nov-Dec. All we heat with is wood and coal. We are buying it by the bag from a local feed and seed store because it’s easier to manage. Shovel full of coal and a stick or two of semi-green wood, best heat out there in my opinion.
Back in the old Iowa country one room schoolhouse, the student that brought the most coal sat the closest to the stove.
They still sell it in York. Hoke Mills. You can bag or theyll deliver.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WHO radio, DesMoines, Iowa, used to advertise Greenmark coal, I remember seeing it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back in the old Iowa country one room schoolhouse, the student that brought the most coal sat the closest to the stove.

smile fair is fair
Never was a thing out here anywhere I've lived you can't swing a stick without hitting a tree so everyone's got wood stoves.

yep

Mom had coal furnace back in west PA in the 60's
In Nevada?

Nope, Cedar City, Utah.

There was a coal bin built into the basement and the delivery truck would use a conveyor to fill it up.

Did the same as a kid. Also in Cedar City.

It’s still pretty popular in some areas of Wyoming. And yes, bulk delivery by hired truck or personal vehicle is possible! memtb
Originally Posted by pahick
They still sell it in York. Hoke Mills. You can bag or theyll deliver.

EFM still makes coal stokers that burn rice coal.
We had a member, Coalcracker, I hope he is well.
Folks are still heating with it in SW Pa.
The mine I retired at would give employees however much they wanted and still do. Free heat all winter. Most people in town still use it.
Plenty of coal heat in Eastern PA as well.
The shortage of oak lumber in England started the industrial revolution. They started mining coal.

Our local power company is in the process of changing over from coal to natural gas right now.

Many old family residences had fireplaces designed to specifically burn coal. The firebox was smaller than wood burning fireplaces and had a cast iron 'grate' (a sort of basket) that held the lumps of coal while it burned and allowed the ash and cinders to fall out the bottom.

[Linked Image from columbusarchitecturalsalvage.com]
Have the ability to heat with coal but not the inclinations. Grew up with a stoked that I had to shovel
Back in the day before carbon monoxide detectors, coal gas killed my grandmother.

Anybody seen it delivered in bulk? In the last 30 years?I got a Tandem load 10 years ago and burn coal and wood every winter. It makes lots of ashes. Lots of coal in USA Get together with neighbours and share the cost.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Back in the day before carbon monoxide detectors, coal gas killed my grandmother.

Had weird a thing here once.
Had been keeping a fire, then it got real warm one day.
I came home from work, and the carbon monoxide detector was going off.
Took it outside, it quit.
Came in, back to beeping.

Took a deep breath, ran to the basement and opened the door.

Stayed out awhile, after the beeper quit.

There was a small fire in the furnace still.

I think, the flu reversed due to the outside temps, or else it just
kind of lost draw. The furnace was pushing the exhaust out the intake.
The coal in the fire was past coked. It was burning real clean.

Had an incident burning Pittsburgh Seam coal.
It plugged the pipe.
Wife called me at work, middle of the night.
House was full of smoke.

She had the windows open, that made the furnace burn making it worse.
Had to shut down the draft, pull off the pipes and plug the flu pipe,
And clean the metal pipes to the chimney.

While she was setting up fans to vent the house.

That one could have really went bad.
No I use it every day...65 to 80 a ton once a month.... best thing since ever !
Originally Posted by atvalaska
No I use it every day...65 to 80 a ton once a month.... best thing since ever !

What in the hell are you burning it in, and heating?
Lived as a kid in the North of England, all those chimneys in those rows and rows of houses were for burning coal. We cooked using gas but had no hot water or heat in the house without a fire in the living room fireplace.

In the evening we would all gather in front of it, which I would guess was how living rooms got started. No basements, everybody’s coal shed was out back in the tiny yard next to the toilet, delivered by brawny, sooty guys in hundredweight (112lb) sacks.

Plus we lived next to a rail yard where steam engines were still a thing, coal-fired. The smell of coal smoke and soot sure takes me back.

I was there five years back, all electric now of course, free of soot the houses are much cleaner than I remember.
Switched from a outdoor wood stove to EFM 520 nine years ago I would not switch back if someone gave me the wood for free.

I get 20 tons of rice delivered once every two years got a delivery back in May of this year and it was $145 ton. I have forced hot air for the house and radiant floor heat for the shop total of around 3000 sf. Got tired of my two daughters alway using up the hot water so two years ago I installed a hot water heat exchanger and now have unlimited hot water 24/7 365.

yes they still deliver it in a dump truck in Lee county Kentucky, in eastern Ky,my wife family is from there
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Lived as a kid in the North of England, all those chimneys in those rows and rows of houses were for burning coal. We cooked using gas but had no hot water or heat in the house without a fire in the living room fireplace.

In the evening we would all gather in front of it, which I would guess was how living rooms got started. No basements, everybody’s coal shed was out back in the tiny yard next to the toilet, delivered by brawny, sooty guys in hundredweight (112lb) sacks.

Plus we lived next to a rail yard where steam engines were still a thing, coal-fired. The smell of coal smoke and soot sure takes me back.

I was there five years back, all electric now of course, free of soot the houses are much cleaner than I remember.

There was a remote, farmer near the MD line that had a railroad right through his farm. He had a gate frame type thing built to carry a powerline across the
rail road. Kinda like the thing they put up at a ranch entrance. He had a
cross bar, on an angle to the tracks that he could lower to just above
a coal car's height. He would drop it on a coal train at night and skim some
of the mounded coal off as the train went by.

He finally got caught stealing grain. The old trains went pretty slow up that climb, he would open a car's chute at the end of his property and ride the train through, shutting the chute when he hit the end of his pasture.

He was about 5 miles from Hyndman,, where they had a railyard. He
fell off trying to close the chute one day, the train pulled into Hyndman
and workers saw the grain running out. Wasn't hard to track it back
to the beginning.

People in Hyndman used to gather coal from the roasted.
Some,made sure extra fell off the stopped cars.
Originally Posted by joken2

Our local power company is in the process of changing over from coal to natural gas right now.

Many old family residences had fireplaces designed to specifically burn coal. The firebox was smaller than wood burning fireplaces and had a cast iron 'grate' (a sort of basket) that held the lumps of coal while it burned and allowed the ash and cinders to fall out the bottom.

[Linked Image from columbusarchitecturalsalvage.com]

yes this what we and a lot of people i know, used when i was growing up in West Virginia in the 70's when we used coal we threw te clinkers and ash in the garden or were we parked dads truck.there was a little private shaft into a hillside1/4 mile down road from our house ,people would go dig coal out of the shaft for free . dad said it to dangerous ,the real coal mine was just a few miles away ,so we would go to the mine tipple and they would fill pick up full
© 24hourcampfire