Home
Posted By: tikkanut How much ammo is too much ? - 01/03/22

just going through the ads....

some guys thinning out inventories

Just how much ammo is too much to keep on hand ?

Guns you have or still don't have ?

Is 100# of precision hand loaded 9mm too much

I weigh it by the pound......

40 S&W is just as badd......trade bait WTSHTF ??
Too much when you stack that last box in your closet and your single-wide slowly tips over and rolls down the hill?? laugh
I asked a buddy about having cash or gold or ? for a time of crisis.

He replied, "How much of that gold coin are you going to shave off to get that loaf of bread? Swap some ammo, it doesn't devalue like cash."
Ammo, cigarettes, booze...........gold, nah
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Too much when you stack that last box in your closet and your single-wide slowly tips over and rolls down the hill?? laugh

now thats too fuggin funny

kinda wish I had a single wide just to test that therey
Originally Posted by colodog
I asked a buddy about having cash or gold or ? for a time of crisis.

He replied, "How much of that gold coin are you going to shave off to get that loaf of bread? Swap some ammo, it doesn't devalue like cash."

exactly......

gonna load some more 9's tomorrow
I don't think we as a nation have ever been this unstable in the last 100+ years. Prices of everything, gas, beef, lumber, steel, everything has risen substantially. People stocking up makes sense. Not just ammo.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I don't think we as a nation have ever been this unstable in the last 100+ years. Prices of everything, gas, beef, lumber, steel, everything has risen substantially. People stocking up makes sense. Not just ammo.

Amen.

Stock up on everything!
Ammo and "to much" should never be used in the same sentence
I don't think a man can ever have to much ammo
Agreed Mackay.
The Beetus creeps in, doctor says he gotta take them toes. This aint unicef

old man gotta sell his 257 Bob hoard
Originally Posted by Torqued
Ammo and "to much" should never be used in the same sentence
I don't think a man can ever have to much ammo

OK

I'll start on that 1K pc bag of 45 ACP tomorrow
Tikkanut: In this day and age there is NO such thing as "too much ammo"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: TimZ Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
I had stacked all my ammo on my top closet shelf, turned out it was a little too much, and one morning at 3 am the whole shebang came crashing down……..wifey did not appreciate that much……
Posted By: gunzo Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Hard to say, project your usage. I'm 68 & it's getting harder to decipher.

I got caught years ago by a primer shortage when I was shooting 7 pistol matches a month. When they became available again I bought the hell out of them. Then, my match shooting ceased, & primers out the butt here.

Shotgun shooting, same. Bought a pallet or two of shells plus reloading supplies, then the shooting of that slowed. Enough 12ga. here to last past my years.

Will I go west again to shoot prairie dogs? If so, I'm good for a couple trips. Otherwise, those supplies would last me past my lifespan for varmints here at home. Tough call.

Likely don't need the supplies I've got. But hate to sell some of it just in case.

I guess the "stuff" means more to me than a small stack of hundred dollar bills.

Trade bait after TSHTF? I've certainly though of it. But is it risky? Trade a box of 22's for a few cans of food or a bag of beans. Will that person come back later with a loaded pistol or rifle(your old ammo) to try & take your stuff?.

is it crushing your windpipe? endangering your family? causing structural issues in your home? these are the types of things i look at to determine if i have enough ammo.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Rhetorical question. As far as Slum beetus guy, use ammo, one toe at a time!
When you gotta have a separate building to house it.

You’re about right

When you’re on your 3rd building, we’ll im sorry but that’s a wee bit piggish.
Wish I had too much Hornady ammo in 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC. At over $200 bucks per 20. I could pay off a house.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wish I had too much Hornady ammo in 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC. At over $200 bucks per 20. I could pay off a house.

🦫

I heard XNXX was running a special on dîldos. Not the same but close?
Last month, I bought 124 cases of target loads. Full disclosure - it was split up between a group of us that shot trap together. But it was rather cool having 31,000 rounds in my F350 at one time before distributing them.
Posted By: MD521 Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
I only want one more box.
They took me into the warehouse at a nearby wholesaler.
Shot on skids, a big room with shelves each big shelf devoted to
a brand of powder. Skids of bullets. Seemed about right to me.

So, since I don't have that much....

(Seeing all that loot, wasn't recent)
Cheap 6.5 CM was $19 a box in 2019.

Now what is it? $40 + 2 years later?

Should have bought a truck load.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

You’re about right

When you’re on your 3 building, we’ll im sorry but that’s a wee bit piggish.

Wait, that's not normal?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22

🦫

Good reason to dump the bun guns, if there ever was.
Let's say you're talking about a shtf scenario. Only what you can carry. Components are fine and you can reload as you need in the mean time and day to day for hunting. Stock piling pistol ammo is retarded unless you shoot competitions. If you're at teotwawki and you're using a pistol as your primary you don't have much time left to burn through that pallet you've hoarded. It's cheap though so buy a bunch so you feel prepared, I'm sure it will be used next to a big hole after you're gone, they'll probably laugh at the irony.
Posted By: krp Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Just primed 350 45acp and 100 308 literally, sat down for a break.

Anyway I have to have enough for the real shooters in this family... kids and womens...

It's not how much to hoard, it's how much can they shoot.

Granddaughter... deadeye Mia... is like... make my day punk...

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Got a buddy who has 4 of those winchester drums with 14000 rounds each at his wharehouse. Problem is he is shutting down his business and sold his forklift 3 mos ago. 2 per pallet. Each drum weighs like 400 lbs. So I feel like he now has too much ammo😂
Originally Posted by rem141r
is it crushing your windpipe? endangering your family? causing structural issues in your home? these are the types of things i look at to determine if i have enough ammo.

Bingo, mike drop^, case closed.

Having too much ammo is if you're on fire or trying to swim.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

You’re about right

When you’re on your 3 building, we’ll im sorry but that’s a wee bit piggish.

Oh dammmmmm

forgot about that pallot I buried.....
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Amen.

Stock up on everything!

Haven't slowed down in 15 years.
Originally Posted by krp
Just primed 350 45acp and 100 308 literally, sat down for a break.

Anyway I have to have enough for the real shooters in this family... kids and womens...

It's not how much to hoard, it's how much can they shoot.

Granddaughter... deadeye Mia... is like... make my day punk...

Kent

oh yea

sunny AZ
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Let's say you're talking about a shtf scenario. Only what you can carry. Components are fine and you can reload as you need in the mean time and day to day for hunting. Stock piling pistol ammo is retarded unless you shoot competitions. If you're at teotwawki and you're using a pistol as your primary you don't have much time left to burn through that pallet you've hoarded. It's cheap though so buy a bunch so you feel prepared, I'm sure it will be used next to a big hole after you're gone, they'll probably laugh at the irony.

That pallet is to keep me sharp by practicing, or to barter with after none of it has been available for..........................?

Laughing at the irony after I'm gone? No longer my worry.

OK

so I can sleep well tonight

100# each of 9mm...40...& 45 ACP isn't excessive

My kinda guys......

No man bun here
I have a fairly substantial gun cleaning combo ammo storage/stacking table I built out of 4x4 legs, 2x6 framing and 2x4 supports under a 3/4 inch plywood top. I figured, I'll stack my ammo here along the back, clean guns here in the front, no big deal. over the last 18 months, I have stashed probably 8-10k rds of mixed ammo all in surplus ammo cans (223, 308, 9mm, 40, 45, 9mm, 22) last fall I noticed the table sagging. I had to put additional 4x4 against the back support. yeah, that didn't help. I had to take most of the ammo off and put it on the concrete floor underneath the table. Chit. and I have another 2k rds of various showing up this month.

My wife asked the same question as the OP.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

🦫

It’s the same...I checked their inventory levels, lucky for you having an ass-hole chambered for any magnum they have what you need.

😝🦫
Originally Posted by Heym06

🦫

Good reason to dump the bun guns, if there ever was.

I have been seeing quite a few PRC’s being offered up recently. Coincidence? Maybe.

🦫

🦫

It’s the same...I checked their inventory levels, lucky for you having an ass-hole chambered for any magnum they have what you need.

😝🦫

You’re not being very nice, I was just trying to help.

Bully

Admittedly, I’m shooting way less cf, pistols as well.

Plinking with rimfire has kept me entertained.

🦫
Posted By: fester Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Lol

We burned through a good amount last weekend. Shot 9mm(500 or so), hot .45lc, hot .44mag,
Loaded .454 which was hot and 500 rounds of .22lr.

My hand feels like I shot that much. 😂

Cramping rounds sucks🤗
Ive got 10 shotgun shells, 87 22lr hollow points, 21 30-06 rounds, and 7 rounds for my carry gun, a Glock. Yall think that's enough?
Originally Posted by gunzo

That pallet is to keep me sharp by practicing, or to barter with after none of it has been available for..........................?

Laughing at the irony after I'm gone? No longer my worry.

Interesting take. I would rather practice before the end of the world rather than during. But I don't shoot competition so either way it's moot in my case. Will pistol ammo be as valuable as rifle ammo then? Maybe but I doubt it.

The irony is they will be using your ammo to extinguish those who lived around you including your surviving loved ones (hence the pit). If you still feel it won't be your worry then you are on the right track my friend. Do what floats your boat
Posted By: GeoW Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
After all is said and done you can't take a single round with you...might get burnt up, but it sure is nice to know it's here for now if we need it.

g

🦫

😝🦫

Bully

I’m sorry, Sandy...I thought I was being nice by checking on the inventory levels for you.

Don’t call me if your dog eats your double-donger again.

🙄 the thanks, I don’t get.

😂🦫
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Ive got 10 shotgun shells, 87 22lr hollow points, 21 30-06 rounds, and 7 rounds for my carry gun, a Glock. Yall think that's enough?

depends where ya live.

Shiitdtcago ? No

Careful....You’re on pace to hit 50 posts by the end of 2022.

Post wisely.

Lol

🦫

🦫

😝🦫

Bully

I’m sorry, Sandy...I thought I was being nice by checking on the inventory levels for you.

😂🦫

double donger Beav ?
In a SHTF scenario all it takes is a dirt bag with a 22lr single shot to take you out..... and he owns your schit

Post wisely.

Lol

🦫

LOL I already got my Beaver award, THANKS BTW! So yall are stuck with me now. I just went and looked and I found THREE 22 mag shells as well!
Originally Posted by tikkanut

🦫

😝🦫

Bully

😂🦫

double donger Beav ?

It’s was doggy toy I sent to SandBully for his pooch.

🦫
No such thing as too much ammo unless you are swimming or on fire.

Post wisely.

Lol

🦫

LOL I already got my Beaver award, THANKS BTW! So yall are stuck with me now. I just went and looked and I found THREE 22 mag shells as well!

Laffin...Now dig yourself a fox hole and you’re ready for the apocalypse.

🦫
Originally Posted by irfubar
In a SHTF scenario all it takes is a dirt bag with a 22lr single shot to take you out..... and he owns your schit

Good thing MontanaCreekHunter doesn’t have one.

😬🦫
I would say the only ammo you can actually have too much of would be .22lr

That’s of course subjective based on much you shoot but it just has a much shorter shelf life than center fire ammo.

I’m sure we all have and shoot surplus from the 40’s, and all of mine still works like a charm

But rimfire bullets start to oxidize and get funky much quicker it seems

Once you sell all those gold plated bullets in the classifieds for close to a million dollars, you can buy some more loaded ammo.
Does a 40 foot shipping container full count as too much?

Joking aside, too much ammo is the stack of it you saved for the end of the world and died on top of because you didn’t use it to train. Admittedly, my stack of rifle ammo is far larger than my stack of pistol ammo, but I figure if I need much pistol ammo, i must be the luckiest SOB ever.

Anyone else find that skills with a pistol tend to degrade faster than rifle skills when you neglect training? I burn more pistol ammo than rifle ammo for this reason.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

That’s of course subjective based on much you shoot but it just has a much shorter shelf life than center fire ammo.

I’m sure we all have and shoot surplus from the 40’s, and all of mine still works like a charm

I hadn’t noticed that about 22 shells if stored properly. I’ve got plenty from the 70’s and 80’s that still shoot fine. I picked up 100,000 rds for Y2K that are still fine.
Originally Posted by Stammster

I hadn’t noticed that about 22 shells if stored properly. I’ve got plenty from the 70’s and 80’s that still shoot fine. I picked up 100,000 rds for Y2K that are still fine.

store RF ammo upside down

read it on the internet......must be true

Once you sell all those gold plated bullets in the classifieds for close to a million dollars, you can buy some more loaded ammo.

LOL its a good thing most of yall around here don't know me, else I couldn't get away with some of this stuff! Here's a real hint though: when I built the house here the blueprints called for a walk in pantry. I changed the plans and built a walk in reloading/ammo room instead.
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

Joking aside, too much ammo is the stack of it you saved for the end of the world and died on top of because you didn’t use it to train. Admittedly, my stack of rifle ammo is far larger than my stack of pistol ammo, but I figure if I need much pistol ammo, i must be the luckiest SOB ever.

Anyone else find that skills with a pistol tend to degrade faster than rifle skills when you neglect training? I burn more pistol ammo than rifle ammo for this reason.

While shooting in general a perishable. Handgun shooting and iron sight, off hand shooting, is lost quicker than rifle shooting with a scope. IMHO

🦫
Posted By: kwg020 Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22

I just thought about the same thing tonight. Only it was 30-06. I loaded up some more M1 Garand clips and put them in my 40mm ammo can. The can is pretty full now. I also have a can of 30-06 for the 1903a3. I really think I'm done loading 30-06 ammo. My son will get what's left when I have stopped shooting the Garands and 1903's.

I also have several 40mm ammo cans of .223, .45 auto and .38 special. I need to find another hobby for these cold and windy Iowa nights. I think I'm topped out on ammo. Unless of course the world as we know it falls apart. Then I can load more !! laugh

kwg

LOL its a good thing most of yall around here don't know me, else I couldn't get away with some of this stuff! Here's a real hint though: when I built the house here the blueprints called for a walk in pantry. I changed the plans and built a walk in reloading/ammo room instead.

Pffft..... you need to do better, hell that is minimal

😬🦫

My son in law gave me a night scope for Christmas.. I am invincible now... smile

Couldnt agree more
And no amount is ever too much to the op

😬🦫

My son in law gave me a night scope for Christmas.. I am invincible now... smile

Pfft...That goes without question. You always were.

🦫

PS

PM the code to your bunker....You know, just in case something goes wrong.

😬

Just go shoot some just for the fun of it!
I think I'm stocked good enough for most stuff I think I need, now I'm working on arrows and the keep it running stuff. But question is what you have will it let you practice a normal amount for how long?
You know this question is really best asked after reading that account of that Bosnian guy who survived over there. He had a real clear idea on what was enough " No such thing as to much ammo" when shtf it becomes currency....mb

😬🦫

Pfft...That goes without question. You always were.

🦫

PS

PM the code to your bunker....You know, just in case something goes wrong.

😬

Will will be like cockroaches..... after SHTF will will crawl forth and populate the earth...... smile
Never too much at this point. Let’s keep those ammo/component makers rolling.

Dirtbags are good targets.
It is better to die next to ammo than die without
Posted By: krp Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Is it ok to have ammo or in my case components to make lots of ammo... and think it's for fun and hunting... not 'end of world' fantasies?

Kent
Time is coming
How much ammo is too much ?

There's no such thing.
No one throughout history anywhere that I have found ever lost a battle by having too much ammo. Not so much the other way around.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

There's no such thing.

When a proper footing is displaced... ammo supply is "almost enough".

No such thing imho. Ammo has been the new precious metal essentially since 1998 or so.
A true shtf scenario two things will be real valuable . Ammo and dope, think prescription dope. Those two will be currency.
Posted By: hanco Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
No such thing or at least a lot of reloading supplies.
Posted By: pullit Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
You know you have enough when if your house catches fire, instead of trying to put it out, you run the other direction....
Pullit hits one out of the park!
While at hunt camp last week, stopped at a local farm / feed store/ gun shop to browse around. Found a new sealed ammo can (500rds) of SB Garand ammo. It is now mine.
Some is good, more is better.

The best time to buy something is when you see it.

While shooting in general a perishable. Handgun shooting and iron sight, off hand shooting, is lost quicker than rifle shooting with a scope. IMHO

🦫

"Anyone else find that skills with a pistol tend to degrade faster than rifle skills when you neglect training? I burn more pistol ammo than rifle ammo for this reason."
Yep, I'm behind the curve now, didn't get a chance to shoot much over the horror days.
Originally Posted by blanket
Time is coming

Ummm.... Yeah, about 2008. wink
Unless you're trying to swim, there's no such thing as too much ammo.

Post wisely.

Lol

🦫

Laffin...Now dig yourself a fox hole and you’re ready for the apocalypse.

🦫

Rather command some high ground, Beave.. or launch from atop my current bunker. smile
Originally Posted by blindshooter

🦫

"Anyone else find that skills with a pistol tend to degrade faster than rifle skills when you neglect training? I burn more pistol ammo than rifle ammo for this reason."
Yep, I'm behind the curve now, didn't get a chance to shoot much over the horror days.

Oh, the horror.

I don't know about you all, but I was plum full of covtard-weary yesterday.

I'm still loading primers I bought before the dark lord came on the political scene.

However I really missed it on whether or not DJT would be re-elected or not. Really thought the supply issues would level off after the election. My bad.

When I get a chance to stock up I'll not let sticker shock bother me so much.

So, answering the question, IMO you can't have too much. If nothing else my kin will get a nice present when I graduate from this world.

It will become the new form of lucre, goods will be valued at the number of .22 rounds it is worth.
Originally Posted by pullit
You know you have enough when if your house catches fire, instead of trying to put it out, you run the other direction....

Most home owner insurances limit the amount of gun powder that can be stored in a home, and them still pay if there is a fire. I decided to talk to my electrical contractor and picked up a few waterproof enclosures, one for powder, one for primers and another for loaded ammo. My agent has viewed the arrangement and agrees that I am good to go on the house. Put in a reloading/gun cleaning building sufficiently distant from the domicile to preclude denial of coverage should a fire event occur where I sleep.

Lots of rules the average individual does not know about.
Posted By: trplem Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Might as well ask how much overweight Vietnamese lesbians in group action scenes porn is enough.
Too much ammo is a fantasy,

Hoarder!!!!!!!!!! smile

Jim
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Pullit hits one out of the park!

Fuggin A!
I gather up hams and canned goods for the winter.

Its a compulsion. Also, lamp oil.

And flour, salt, sugar, and corn meal.

Oh and dry beans.

Is that rolling around on the floor of your truck? Or, loose in your sock drawer?
Originally Posted by Henryseale
No one throughout history anywhere that I have found ever lost a battle by having too much ammo. Not so much the other way around.

Dad’s older brother was killed in WW II fighting in the Battle of Leyte. It is rumored that his squad ran out of ammo.
Posted By: kennyd Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
When the police investigate 20 rounds is too much and 2 guns is an arsenal.

One of the fire victims got up set that he was ordered to leave instead of looking at his burned home; flipped the cop off. Was stopped and had an AR and 2000 rounds and a 9mm. Was he supposed to leave it in the burned house?

I was told to destroy all the guns I couldnt carry when TSHTF. Strategically correct but who wants to smash a 94 or 336? Anyway, I am elderly with a disabled wife so will be a liability.

Do you at least own a 9?
I've got 2k rounds of ammo in a caliber I don't own.
In a true end of the world as we know it scenario, the chances are pretty good that every single one of us is going to leave this world while having had "too much" ammo. That probably even applies to the guy who only has 100 rounds. The trick is, not to leave this world because of having had too little ammo.

If I die tomorrow, it will be a fact that I currently have "too much ammo". However, until I die, I'll just assume that I don't yet have enough.

Posted By: memtb Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22

When I have to borrow money to build an additional building for storage! memtb
One more than not enough...

Actually there is no such a concept.... Moms Demand Action made up that term, just to motivate the other dumb bimbos and Ho Mos that follow them...
When your shelf it full, it's pretty easy to find an additional shelf.
Originally Posted by ringworm

Do you at least own a 9?.

yes.....SA XD Elite & just ordered a SA Hellcat
Posted By: bbassi Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Originally Posted by memtb

jeesh. They sell excess shipping containers for that purpose. Amateur. grin
Originally Posted by ringworm

Do you at least own a 9?
I've got 2k rounds of ammo in a caliber I don't own.

bartering material, maybe the dude or dudette what needs some has some canned bacon or a few packages of noodles to swap during the Zombie Pokalips.
Posted By: okie Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Too much ammo is a fantasy,

No it's a goal..
Too much ammo = the square root of a negative number = i

in other words an imaginary number.

by definition, it doesn't exist, but can be useful for certain calculations I guess.
Posted By: johnw Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/04/22
What I used to keep and what I keep now are 2 different things

I always kept a bundle of .22LR on hand because the family uses it heavily. Also because I had friends who owned an LGS, and I made it a point to buy something every time a I walked through the door. It added up bigly

I hadn't loaded for handguns since the 1980s, until recently. And my handgun world has expanded. 10 years ago I had a 1911 .45, a K frame .357, and a J frame .22. Things change
Still, the only CF handgun ammo I keep any real stock of is the 9mm

Until 2018 or so I hadn't owned a 9mm handgun since the early 80s. When things took a turn towards sanity after 2016, I recognized an opportunity and bought 9mm ammo right.
8-10 cents per round

Most of my rifles I try to keep 100 rounds loaded and ready. Components to keep that going comfortably

The 25-06 I keep Nearly 300 rounds loaded (2 different loads)
I lose some brass hunting, and don't feel any pressure yet to replace them
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Is that rolling around on the floor of your truck? Or, loose in your sock drawer?

LOL do I know you? Have you rode with me? laugh At one time when I first started loading shotgun shells, I had 2 cases of every shot size from #2 to #7.5 stuck back on a shelf. My kids got to be teenagers and the next time I looked I bet I didn't have 10 boxes left TOTAL! LOL. Of course that situation had to be remedied. Im not worried about having ammo. If I don't shoot more in the next 30 years than I have in the last 30 years, Ive got enough to last 150 years at least.
Posted By: memtb Re: How much ammo is too much ? - 01/05/22
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by memtb

jeesh. They sell excess shipping containers for that purpose. Amateur. grin

👍 😁 memtb
© 24hourcampfire