Home
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
I have a tricked out 1022 that shoots lights out. Most of the time. About 10% of the time it will have a failure to fire... cocking the hammer back again on the same round will make it go boom. Not really ammo specific. I have cleaned everything in the gun and the chamber. Just replaced the firing pin spring and still no luck. I need to send it to someone that knows these guns inside and out...

Who is the 1022 Guru?
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Call Brimstone Gunsmithing and explain the issue. Send the firing group to Brimstone to overhaul everything. While you’re at it, have them do a Tier 1 trigger job on it.

https://brimstonegunsmithing.com/
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Sasha and Abby;
Good afternoon, I hope the weather is behaving better in your part of the world than it is here and that besides a finicky 10/22 you're well.

While I'm the furthest thing from a 10/22 Guru, I have worked a couple of them over, including the money pit project below.

[Linked Image]

It's got a bucket full of modifications including a different firing pin, extractor and a Green Mountain barrel with what they called a "Bentz" chamber.

It's quite ammo sensitive and with the wrong stuff will do what you describe. I believe in the case of my rifle it's not chambering far enough to seat the rim against the barrel so it'll not give reliable ignition.

With ammo it doesn't like it's worse than 10% not chambering/firing for sure and with what it likes it's pretty well 100%.

I'm not sure that was useful for your situation sir, but perhaps it was or is for someone out there.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Does the hammer follow and you recock it or are both attempts on the round hammer drop after trigger pull?
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Thanks Dwayne... mine is 90% Volquartsen ... I'm at a loss.

Hookeye - the hammer falls and strikes the round. If i pull back the bolt until the trigger resets and then pull the trigger, it shoots...
Posted By: pullit Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
I am far from an expert but have worked on a few. Most have a deep cut on the bolt face. Rim fire Central has a ton of information on these guns. I used a friends surface grinder to take about .007 off the bolt face in order to get the correct spacing. I then drilled and cross pinned just above the firing pin to have a more consistent hit on the rim. The tip of the firing pin was also reshaped. I did this to a few of mine and it helped the reliability a lot.
Check out RIMFIRE CENTRAL there is a wealth of information over there
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Call Brimstone Gunsmithing and explain the issue. Send the firing group to Brimstone to overhaul everything. While you’re at it, have them do a Tier 1 trigger job on it.

https://brimstonegunsmithing.com/

thanks will do
Originally Posted by pullit
I am far from an expert but have worked on a few. Most have a deep cut on the bolt face. Rim fire Central has a ton of information on these guns. I used a friends surface grinder to take about .007 off the bolt face in order to get the correct spacing. I then drilled and cross pinned just above the firing pin to have a more consistent hit on the rim. The tip of the firing pin was also reshaped. I did this to a few of mine and it helped the reliability a lot.
Check out RIMFIRE CENTRAL there is a wealth of information over there

going to contact you too
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Thanks Dwayne... mine is 90% Volquartsen ... I'm at a loss.

Hookeye - the hammer falls and strikes the round. If i pull back the bolt until the trigger resets and then pull the trigger, it shoots...

Hammer follow is not uncommon w aftermarket parts
Housing tolerance or spring issue, if you have hammer follow.

Trying for too fine a trigger can sometimes burn ya.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
Could be the ammo... Remington made some junk there for a while. Bucket Of bullets or something IIRC. I was about 60/40 fire with that junk.

Could also be gunk in the firing pin, spring area. I know you said you cleaned changed it. I had a 700 spring and firing pin hang on me with light strikes once... tiny piece of sand/grit "slowed" the pin enough to light strike...but not fire. Easy fix once I figured it out.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/05/22
The cross pin over the firing pin modification will fix that. I would send the bolt assembly to CPC myself but Brimstone does quality work

Or buy aftermarket bolt and be done.
https://www.jwhcustom.com/
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Could be the ammo... Remington made some junk there for a while. Bucket Of bullets or something IIRC. I was about 60/40 fire with that junk.

The old green Bucket Of Bullshît
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
The cross pin over the firing pin modification will fix that. I would send the bolt assembly to CPC myself but Brimstone does quality work

Or buy aftermarket bolt and be done.
https://www.jwhcustom.com/

The whole gun is Volquartsen...including the bolt. It is a Vlo made rifle... I might call Volquartsen this am to see what they recommend and will report back.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
What is hammer follow?
Posted By: fester Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The old green Bucket Of Bullshît

This gets my vote.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
I believe Dwayne has a good theory with the case not seating well enough in the chamber. Have you scrubbed the chamber really good?
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Ruger 1022 Help - 01/06/22
Called them and going to send it back to the maker... thanks all...
© 24hourcampfire