Home
What kind of a barn is this?
Its about 20 miles from me and I've seen it all my life but never had a chance to meet any owners.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Interesting, to say the least.

Frank Lloyd Wright?
Beats the hell outta me! Do you think it provides some sort of air draft for cooling?
Hippie barn
Interesting!
Barn....or is this a type of hay feeder?
I'd call it a hay shed,
Unfinished...
You get some eccentric farmer’s, but that looks like an engineer on acid went to town.
I've seen similar with tubing framing and sunshades built on skids or a single axle to move with a tractor... but that is interesting.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Beats the hell outta me! Do you think it provides some sort of air draft for cooling?

My first thought too.

Open design, but with overhead protection.
Barn for loose hay
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Barn for loose hay

Agree.
Hay shed
Are those two blue chairs?
Originally Posted by blanket
Hay shed

Yep, hay shed. See a few of them here in Southern Alberta.
Jeff

I'd say that's one would come across in the East Asian jungle be honest with you carry on
Cool beans Mark.
Have seen a couple before, and never knew what they were for, so thanks for the info guys.,
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hay shed

Jeff

Why would someone make a hay shed so damn complicated to build?
Originally Posted by Longbob

Yep, Two chairs and a cross.
Originally Posted by AZmark
Hay shed

Jeff

AZ mark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather is what you need down there and all in your world are healthy.

When Jeff mentioned he'd seen a few in Southern Alberta, it twigged some memories for me and I did a bit of digging.

It appears it's a variation of the Monitor barn design-

MONITOR
After 1910, the monitor design emerged in barn roof architecture. This design was a simple gabled barn with smaller sheds attached to either side and running the full length of the barn. This design became popular because it allowed unlimited windows, which gave the barn excellent lighting. This style was frequently utilized in commercial barns for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

My gut feeling is that whatever they were storing needed to be kept cooler and that open roof design would seemingly do that?

That's a guess on my part, but I know I've seen them somewhere and it might have been in Jeff's area in southern Alberta.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne
Fancy way to keep grass dry. Looks like a bear to build.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Hay shed

Jeff

AZ mark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather is what you need down there and all in your world are healthy.

When Jeff mentioned he'd seen a few in Southern Alberta, it twigged some memories for me and I did a bit of digging.

It appears it's a variation of the Monitor barn design-

MONITOR
After 1910, the monitor design emerged in barn roof architecture. This design was a simple gabled barn with smaller sheds attached to either side and running the full length of the barn. This design became popular because it allowed unlimited windows, which gave the barn excellent lighting. This style was frequently utilized in commercial barns for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

My gut feeling is that whatever they were storing needed to be kept cooler and that open roof design would seemingly do that?

That's a guess on my part, but I know I've seen them somewhere and it might have been in Jeff's area in southern Alberta.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne

The roof is similar in the pic you sent but the framing is a lot different. Look at the angles of the upright supports on the pic I sent. seems like a complicated way to build something with all those angled cuts.
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Barn....or is this a type of hay feeder?

This was my thought, but I'm no expert on barns.
Originally Posted by Longbob

Undoubtedly for beer drinkin'
When we get rain, we also get wind. That wouldn't keep anything dry.
It would sure be noisy in a downpour. You'd be hearing a dozen waterfalls.
Hay shed

Jeff

I believe they were trying to accommodate the slope of the hillside with the multiple levels. If they had made it one long way shed, they would have either had to cut into the side of the hill or the front end that is facing us would have been 40 feet up in the air.
The way the support members attach so low, I'd have to say sun shade.
Would be hard to get equipment under anything except the sides - except from the sides (possibly).
Wouldn't work for anything we do.
It could have been re-purposed for critters and hay. Around here, back in the day, everybody that had a little timber patch had a sawmill, usually a big circular that ran from tractor pto, sometimes a shake mill. Air circulation, keeping machinery dry, keeping sawdust dry (ever try to shovel wet sawdust?), portability, most were on skids, If I've seen one I've seen 20 of them quite similar. My shooting shack was re-purposed from a Mighty-Mite sawmill shed.
© 24hourcampfire