Home
Hi fkrs. Here's some pictures. I'll post info as time allows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

youngest son, last winter. This is what we mostly use the machine for (ice fishing border waters near canada)

Awesome. Great pics.
that is old school cool
A previous transplant on it's way out. Tear down begins.

You certainly have a great sense of style.
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
These are track tensioners at the rear wheel position. Seized with rust, we were never able to tighten the tracks. Bout to change that prob.

Suspension/spindle arms, bearings are cageless needles, junk. We're going to brass bushings.

Super cool! Also, a lot of work.
That thing looks like it spent it's life on LOW. I always wanted one of those things but I don't have the mechanical skills that you do. Very nice!

This old drive axle is early 50's dodge car stuff, 4.10 gear, open diff mounted upside down by bombardier to make the machine go forwards with the engine in backwards.

This is worn out, junk pile.

yep those do work good out on the lake i have used that type also on Lake of the Woods , i have in my pole shed a J8 Bomdardier i do use in the fall in my Tamarac swamp during deer season and when i was working i used one that had a digger derrick unit on it that we set poles with that the company i worked for owned. those are or were great machines of the past that Bombardier no longer makes.
Looks like this will be an amazing project, can't wait to see the pics. Are you keeping the replacement engine secret?

I was wondering how they reversed the drivetrain - so simple!

My wife's uncle has one up on Lake Winnipeg, I should try to remember to take pictures next time I'm up there.
Cool, very cool!
Some new parts.

Suspension chains. Suspension arms work in pairs, they play tug of war with a spring can. The spring can has a large compression spring inside of the can with a compression rod much like a shock rod. These chains connect the suspension arms to the spring can. It sounds terrible, but the ride is actually very nice.

these big bushings will replace the cageless neddle bearing system on the suspension arms.

New track tension arm.

There’s a bunch of them parked in various states of repair here locally. They where used for commercial fishing here on Lake Nipigon—price of whitefish used to double in winter. I haven’t seen one running in years and the worst thing for any vehicle is to just let it sit.
Are parts still available for the track system?
(I guess so was typing when your last post came out).

waited too long to start the project so we ended up blasting out in the snow, and in the dark at times. My boy and I took turns, he's been a godsend through the whole project.

final sanding to clean old paint off, lots of patch work, grinding old body fillers out.

Building new bumpers for front and back.

D rings are for tying down on the transport trailer.

Rear bumper:

You do amazing work Dave.
As always, impressive as all git-out.
Must have an intern doing the welding...
Very Cool! SO literally! How about the steering rack? They must tractor tie-rods to handle skis?

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Must have an intern doing the welding...

Go feed your cows or something.
Hahaha!
Very Cool stuff Dave, good to see you posting!

baby boy learning skills

new escape hatch / sun roof.

moving from the weld shop to the paint/body shop.

Originally Posted by saddlering
Very Cool stuff Dave, good to see you posting!

copying and pasting hosted photo links is troublesome these days. Painfully slow, painfully! lol

black epoxy primer shows the lumps.

more body filler than should be allowed on anything

You're gonna make fun of that welding?!?!?!???

You should see my welds

Oh, and it looks awesome!!!!

So uh, Ford FE power lined up? Maybe a pair of Hong Kong Hairdryers under there too?
Very cool
Is that a 56 Chevy bird on the hood?
I can't think of anything more useless in Kentucky, but I still want one!

couldn't just do black

that is what heck of a project good luck ! i am just happy i get to use a J8 Bombardier all fall and winter that i keep in my pole shed . my friend has 4 - J8`s that he uses for fire calls mostly in the spring , his J8`s carry 500 gallons of water ,hoses and pumps, my friend mounted and rebuilt these J8`s for swamp and woods for out of control fire work ,he does work for the DNR in Minnesota and some reservations also and is on call most of the spring for them.
A friend in Colorado has something similar, but it stick-steers like a skid loader. He bought the old stock from the estate of a fellow that built sno-cat type vehicles on Floyd Hill near Idaho Springs. His is powered by a V6 chevy carburated motor, and the tracks ride on a row of tires. He has taken it to the top of the Continental Divide where snowmobiles go, but can carry a load of skiers and all the gear. Has a little radiator/fan heater. Took a lot of work to piece it together, much like yours. His is more like 70's era aga-wise.
We did the Heimlich on a 2000 silverado and this landed on the shop floor.

Why does the metal look like Tulsi's cheeks?

Is that from the rolling process?
Originally Posted by pete53
that is what heck of a project good luck ! i am just happy i get to use a J8 Bombardier all fall and winter that i keep in my pole shed . my friend has 4 - J8`s that he uses for fire calls mostly in the spring , his J8`s carry 500 gallons of water ,hoses and pumps, my friend mounted and rebuilt these J8`s for swamp and woods for out of control fire work ,he does work for the DNR in Minnesota and some reservations also and is on call most of the spring for them.

I might know your friend, sounds like a guy I know.
Why does the metal look like Tulsi's cheeks?

Is that from the rolling process?

Canadians are very hard on equipment. Also, a temporary repair that I would do so I can get home alive, that's a permanent repair in Canada.

No offense to Canadians, I think you know though... lol
DAVE! WTF man - bow tie power?

I am disappoint.

Changed intake gaskets, knock sensors and water pump, because it's a fkn chevy.

We braced the original truck engine mounts with light tubing and tack welds before unbolting from the revolting donor truck. this held the distance and angles correctly so I could mount the assembly in the "bomber" at out pre determined location. I went to an existing channel that was welded in crooked..... in Canada. lol

Incredible transformation! I love these posts. Keep 'em coming Dave!
Originally Posted by Teal

I am disappoint.

Yeah but they are so common, every corner gas station sells rebuild kits.
Just knew as I was scrolling through the thread there'd be a badazzed Northern Dave paint job coming up!

Great job and good to see the boy involved.
WoW, just Wow.

Awesome job on a cool old machine. That is a lot of work, quality work. From mechanics to body work you guys do it all. Just the knowledge and understanding of the mechanics of something different like this speaks to your skill.

Teaching Junior makes it all the more impressive. Hat is off to you.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I am disappoint.

Yeah but they are so common, every corner gas station sells rebuild kits.

I get it.

Just giving you crap.
Very cool. Please keep them coming!
stabbin it

my beautiful boy

this is not a gatorade job

That's an outstanding choice for a restoration. As usual, it looks like you're going to make it much better than new.
Yes...that is true. Intake gaskets and knock sensors are common problems.

Also, I have had enough of them go bad that I would drop the pan and do the oil pump upgrade and change the orings.
Very cool!
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just knew as I was scrolling through the thread there'd be a badazzed Northern Dave paint job coming up!

Don't look too close.... she got the "hurry the fk up!" treatment. It's a 20 footer. lol
stabbin it

Busch Light and Michigan lingerie? (Carharts)
[quote=Teal]DAVE! WTF man - bow tie power?

I am disappoint.

Yeah but they are so common, every corner gas station sells rebuild kits.[/quotorange.
I Get it.

Just giving you crap.

Plus, the are the best engines ever conceived by man.

So they got that going for them.....which is nice.
Yes...that is true. Intake gaskets and knock sensors are common problems.

Also, I have had enough of them go bad that I would drop the pan and do the oil pump upgrade and change the orings.

(blinks expressionlessly without surprise)

Would that be a Yudovich?

Hahahaha!
Originally Posted by 160user

Would that be a Yudovich?

nope, wrong guy I guesss.
Don’t see how you missed winning the Beaver for coolest threads ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Damn Dave I’m sorry for the pita slow loads but I am sincerely grateful you do so !

And yeah second the motion that having your son involved only serves to take it to a whole nuther level of cool.

My pard is building an airplane in his garage & like you he does everything

You guys are godlike to my ignorant azz.
"Bombers" as they are known as on lake of the woods, are notorious for cooling problems. So last night I built a fan shroud, should help her pull the air directly through that radiator. Also got a start on my exhaust.

Hole cutter attachment for the plasma, stomp shear, slip roll, brake... presto!

Don't look too close.... she got the "hurry the fk up!" treatment. It's a 20 footer. lol

No matter, this one's a labor of love, no way you'd recoup the funds involved in this build.
Did the original have power to the front and rear axles? I see a transfer case in the new drivetrain that I didn't see in the old one.......
Those are some fine looking exhaust bolts.

Something high performance?

The very best from NAPA
I remember once I was trying to get a 93 Ford to cool better.

It had a spacer behind the fan to clearance a belt for a long gone hydraulic pump.

Took the space out and it cools like a champ.

The very best from NAPA

I only ask because I have a 2000 with a 6.0 that has one bolt holding the left manifold on.
That shroud looks nice.

Will you have to notch it to clear the intake ducting?
Originally Posted by horse1
Did the original have power to the front and rear axles? I see a transfer case in the new drivetrain that I didn't see in the old one.......

I was looking for 2wd transmission like everyone has always ran in these machines. But then it occurred to me, Nobody wants 4x4 LS swaps so they are dirt cheap. Also, transfer cases have low range. The (forward output) won't drive anything, but it also won't hurt anything. For trail cruising with passengers I will use hi range 2 wheel drive. But if I have to pull a heavy load, I have low range.
That shroud looks nice.

Will you have to notch it to clear the intake ducting?

No, I'll utilize the factory air filter box and MAF. I'll keep it inside the engine compartment to reduce snow clogging issues.
That thing is a work of art!
Alright, I have to go back to work now. been a member here since 2004 I think, and I used to post like this a lot. I can't believe how much time it takes, I could have finished the fkn project in the time it took. lol

I'll try to post later, behave yourselves, heathens.
Ice fishing all weekend fueled on beer and chili - it was thoughtful of you to install a universal monkey butt applicator.

Alright, I have to go back to work now. been a member here since 2004 I think, and I used to post like this a lot. I can't believe how much time it takes, I could have finished the fkn project in the time it took. lol

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing, always do.

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing, always do.

Fuggin A.

No matter, this one's a labor of love, no way you'd recoup the funds involved in this build.

You'd be shocked at the $ these old dumpsters on skis bring.
Dave;
Top of the snowy morning to you my friend, I hope you're all keeping warm and dry.

Thanks so much for sharing this build with us, I am never disappointed in your creativity and craftsmanship.

It's got to be super cool having your son involved in the build too.

Well sir, we got about 10" to a foot of snow last night and I've got to get back out there and do the neighbors place now - did our place in the dark via the LED lights I stuck on the tractor a couple years back. My goodness I do like LED lights Dave, that's one part of technology I heartily embrace.

Thanks again, all the best to you and yours and good luck ice fishing this season.

Dwayne
Install a floor hatch so the rig can be used as a temporary fishing house?

Well, the new fiberglass Poop 'n Fish (aka Snobear) is ~$85K new.........

Try and buy a good Thiokol.

Sheesh.
I loved those things In my living in Minnesota days....Those were pretty cool. My ex wife was from Chisholm.... would see several running around the Hibbing Area, but that was back in the 80s... place we deer hunted at about 30 miles north of Chisholm, had two of them going thru there each season....One Blue one like Dave's and then a Green one...the Green One looked like a Home Paint Job, with a brush....or Roller..

Changed intake gaskets, knock sensors and water pump, because it's a fkn chevy.

We braced the original truck engine mounts with light tubing and tack welds before unbolting from the revolting donor truck. this held the distance and angles correctly so I could mount the assembly in the "bomber" at out pre determined location. I went to an existing channel that was welded in crooked..... in Canada. lol

I thought you’d put a 426 Hemi in there!!!

Mm😀😃😀😀
Geez if you needed a "donor engine" you should have said something.

Love it! You could have a great YouTube channel!
Originally Posted by Steve
Install a floor hatch so the rig can be used as a temporary fishing house?

Steve, (and everybody). Try to find a tv series called "ice vikings". It plays up in Canada. It's like deadliest catch, but it's canadian commercial ice fishing with nets through the ice. It's very interesting and they use a lot of these machines in the show, it's real life, a reality show. A lot of these machines in Canada have wood stoves in them!

I will try to summarize history and use of these machines.

Joseph Armond Bombardier, born in 1907 is said to have developed the "Auto neige" (snow car) after losing a child due to medical complications in which the child could not be transported to a hospital due to snow conditions. I believe he had been developing machines prior to the tragedy but this is the story as I understand it. This would be the initial product of the company known as Bombardier. 1937 is when production formally began. Early units had plywood coach bodies, this transitioned into metal bodies in the early 50's. Original power plants would be flat head chrysler inline 6 cylinder gasoline engines, manual 3 speed trans, automotive drive axles flipped upside down.

Sales markets varied, schools (winter bussing), mail delivery, emergency transport, military, commercial utility etc. Commercial fishing would become one of the markets.

Over the years, some machines arrived in the US at national parks areas such as yellowstone where fleets of these machines were used for winter park tours. This lasted up until recent years, some still exist out that way. Quite a few exist on lake of the woods in northern MN, mostly owned by resorts that transport sport/hobby fishermen. A few are privately owned like mine.

In Canada, many are still in service for commercial ice fishing. Others are used to transport goods way up in Nunavut and northwest territories. They pull large sleds loaded down with fuel barrels, vehicles and all sorts of goods.

Mine is purely recreational.
No questions on the modern swap yet. I'll try to stay ahead of that.

Prior to plucking the engine and trans from the donor pickup truck:

We used HP tuner software to interface with the engine and transmission module through the diagnostics port. We deleted the VATS (vehicle anti theft), deleted egr, evap, air pump, downstream cats, AC etc. everything we didn't need, we zapped. We remapped fuel mixture for a little more power in the mid to upper RPMs. We programmed the trans settings so the trans thinks it's always in "tow/haul" and we programmed for the drive sprocket vs vehicle tire size.

I then purchased a stand alone wiring harness for cleaner "engine only" wiring.
That's the coolest damn thing I've ever seen. Almost better yet is this thread is old school CF.

More Dave more!
How capable are these off the snow and ice? Marsh/mud/bog type of terrain?
That is an awesome project.
Would be cool to have of I lived in an area that received a lot of snowfall each year
GD it Dave. This is an abusive relationship we have here. Every time I get sick and tired of the bitching and complaining here and tell myself I'm leaving, YOU go and post another one of these threads and reel me back in!
Why do you have to be so MEAN!
ND

Thank you for a post that goes back to what I like about this site.

Different people doing different things/activities and posting the results for our entertainment/education.

As always your projects are ALWAYS Number ONE!

And

Some think sniping at others is viable thread
How capable are these off the snow and ice? Marsh/mud/bog type of terrain?

i don't really want to know. lol
Tagged ..... I love these threads. smile

We used HP tuner software to interface with the engine and transmission module through the diagnostics port. We deleted the VATS (vehicle anti theft), deleted egr, evap, air pump, downstream cats, AC etc. everything we didn't need, we zapped. We remapped fuel mixture for a little more power in the mid to upper RPMs. We programmed the trans settings so the trans thinks it's always in "tow/haul" and we programmed for the drive sprocket vs vehicle tire size.

O

f course you did. There's a reason I knew you were legit the first time we met. smile
Originally Posted by White_Bear

O

f course you did. There's a reason I knew you were legit the first time we met. smile

the bear speaketh.
Very cool thread!!!!
You are a BADASS! That thing is amazing.
Very cool project and machine!

That must be your scissors kid? 😁

He’s getting big. Thanks again for this thread.
WOW! Too cool, Complete with SBC, love it !
My toy tank is a 1970's Cushman Trackster, retro-fitted with a Wisconsin Robin engine instead of the original OMC 2-stroke.
I’m so glad you are back. As others have said we need more of this type of post.

WELCOME back NORTHERN DAVE !!!
Well, I've spent the last couple hours educating myself on these machines.
I think I've seen a couple around in Montana at ski resorts but never in southwest Alaska where I spent the bulk of my adult years.
Not seeing them along Alaska's Bering Sea coast I'd suppose could be due to there size and weight not being suitable for hauling in small aircraft like a standard snowmobile.
The bones of Alaskas history lay scattered across the tundra and even though I've not noticed one, I'm sure a few exist.

Just due to my lack of experience, I found this 11 year old video worthy of sharing..
Don't know what was going on in the video but there were plenty of these machines involved.

Originally Posted by reivertom

grin
Are you going to have a trolling rod set up off the back? Down riggers? Livewell?
Originally Posted by Pugs
That's the coolest damn thing I've ever seen. Almost better yet is this thread is old school CF.

More Dave more!

+100

Cooler than the other side of the pillow!

John
Looks terrific. I have been in two storage warehouses in the last 5 years or so down in the New Hope are north of Minneapolis and one had 3 of this type of vehicles and the other had 1. all were as if they came off the showroom floor. I’m not even sure if the owners knew each other, couple miles apart .
There were many other incredible things from the past in those buildings, everything as new.
Keep up the great work it’s a joy following along. Thanks
Osky
That gorgeous colour looks like it was meant for a '69 Charger.

And a 383 would have fit in nicely, too.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by reivertom

grin

I had to run up to Louisville for a Dr. appt. this morning, I sure AF could have used it.

As I was headed north, I saw the south lanes all clogged up and there were probably 25 cars off in the median or off the side of the road. Apparently someone forgot how to drive in inclement weather, there were cars everyflippin'where. No problems in the northbound lanes until I got into town. I'd left an hour early, and only just got to my Dr. appt., and I had to cancel another appt. across the city, as I just didn't want to fight the traffic. I flipped on the radio and found out that I-65 southbound was still closed, so I took an alternate route down 31W, where everyone else was detoured, apparently). It was also a mess, due to all the traffic and traffic lights, but I finally made it home after an hour and 45 minute drive that should have been 50 minutes at most. Damned Dodge minivans apparently can't go over 30mph in snow, and I was stuck behind several of the cursed things.

BTW, beautiful work, DAVE!
Originally Posted by grouseman

I like the color too. It will be definitely be one of a kind out on the big lake!
What a GREAT thread. And getting your son involved is developing skills for a lifetime. KUDOS!
Originally Posted by Osky
Looks terrific. I have been in two storage warehouses in the last 5 years or so down in the New Hope are north of Minneapolis and one had 3 of this type of vehicles and the other had 1. all were as if they came off the showroom floor.
Osky

Whitebear is on his way, FYI.

lol
Fit the radiator to the shroud and made the coolant hose holes, got some paint on the shroud. Did some exhaust work.

Looking like a million bucks Dave.

Wonder how loud it will be?
Originally Posted by pullit
Very cool

Looked like the one on the '54 Bel Air I had.

Dave.......................................................

AMAZEBALLS!
That's a thing of beauty Dave!

I always thought those were cool as hell, didn't they used to be used as schools buses in the great white north there? I also thought they had straight 6's in them as well.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Very cool

AMAZEBALLS!

The hood ornament was a 56.

Gone now, holes welded shut.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Looking like a million bucks Dave.

Wonder how loud it will be?

Whisper stealthy, im betting....
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Dave;
Good evening and thanks for another update, it looks like you're going to have a much improved restomod when you're done. cool

While I'm sure some of the folks know about Bombardier as a company, those that don't might be surprised to learn that the company went from building those, to snowmobiles - Ski-Doo and now build all sorts of stuff including jet aircraft.

When I looked it up it said that they've got 49,180 employees as of 2021.

They do get a bunch of Canadian federal tax dollars fairly frequently, that I know too.

Anyways Dave, thanks again for the updates, it's a really unique project.

All the best to you all again.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dave;
Good evening and thanks for another update, it looks like you're going to have a much improved restomod when you're done. cool

While I'm sure some of the folks know about Bombardier as a company, those that don't might be surprised to learn that the company went from building those, to snowmobiles - Ski-Doo and now build all sorts of stuff including jet aircraft.

When I looked it up it said that they've got 49,180 employees as of 2021.

They do get a bunch of Canadian federal tax dollars fairly frequently, that I know too.

Anyways Dave, thanks again for the updates, it's a really unique project.

All the best to you all again.

Dwayne

I hope you are well, friend.

Look for that show I mentioned "ice vikings". I shouldn't assume that you watch tv, but there are a couple short clips in youtube I think?

I love the history behind bombardier, which is incorrectly pronounced "bomb ber deer" in the states. Lol!

"Bom-bar-de-ay" a little further north.
wink
Originally Posted by Squidge

Yes!
Don't you have a 1970s vintage Tucker Snowcat too?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Don't you have a 1970s vintage Tucker Snowcat too?

Sold ot to get this.

But yes, ive had 2 different tuckers and 1 skidozer 252.

The "autoneige" is what ive been after for many years.

Bombers, snow bus, snow bug, all nicknames for these rigs.
Dave;
Good evening again and thanks for the reply and the show recommendation.

We've got a sister and sister in law - each I guess now that I type it out - in Winnipeg and lots of nephews and nieces there. Some of them fish up on the south end of Lake Winnipeg for sure, but none of them are in the commercial fishing business.

It's a big lake though for sure, though not as confusing as Lake of the Woods where I believe I recall you all fish sometimes?

One nephew fishes there pretty often on the north side of the line. He says there's enough islands and bays to allow one to get mightily confused if one isn't careful!

I'll see if we get that show on any of the channels we have though Dave. I admit we do have a TV, but I don't watch it much anymore somehow, no....

Again I think the coolest part of the build is your son's involvement and unless I miss my guess, you do as well.

All the best to one and all at Dave's auto and Bombardier restoration works.

Dwayne

I know what you did there. grin
That looks like the snow machine from a Jonny Quest cartoon.

It's really kool !

https://www.imcdb.org/v245734.html
Great job on that bomber,we dont have many of that style in N.H. Worked on a lot of newer bombardier machines when i worked at the local ski area. Heres a picture of a real early B7 with a ford v8 flathead in it taken at the 2016 national snowmachine show.I think it was a 1938 model pretty much all wood.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]
We don't see many (if any of this stuff) in the south. I think this is some kind of cool. Reminds me of some of the stuff form a movie "How to Marry a Millionaire".
Think it would be cool just to ride around in one of these things

Its cool that you remember.

It was a road runner, and yes this was the paint i almost used.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Very cool

AMAZEBALLS!

The hood ornament was a 56.

Gone now, holes welded shut.

Thanks, I see now they were similar.

Still amazed some of those things are still around.
Great thread, keep up the good work
Agree that a site like this should have decent photo hosting
Finished the exhaust, and 3 beers.

Love the stacks.
Glasspacks!?!?
Originally Posted by kingston
Glasspacks!?!?

Slightly better than straight pipes.
They fit in there real nice.
This thread is proof that there's no kill switch on awesome!!!!
Good job with the video Dave.

Dug through your archives a little, really liked the 57 windshield install, that kinda stuff is gold for those working on similar projects.
That's awesome! It's a thrill cruising across the ice on a machine like that. Been a while since I've had the pleasure but such is life.

Love it. The perfect engine too IMHO now adays everyone thinks the 'little' 4.8 isn't enough but you'd have to put a pile of money and work in a 350 back in the day to make the hp and torque it makes. I ran one up to 150k miles and it sounded like new when I sold the truck I still see it around town 5 years later trucks a rust bucket but she still purrs along amazingly well.
Looking forward to seeing it cruising across the lake with a cooler full of perch inside!
Because you've got a ton of time on your hands (j/k) you could haul that over to the Yoop and Big Powderhorn Mtn. for their annual "Cat Clowder."
Originally Posted by bluffview
Because you've got a ton of time on your hands (j/k) you could haul that over to the Yoop and Big Powderhorn Mtn. for their annual "Cat Clowder."

i know about that, and plan on it someday
This is too cool for school, Dave.

A buddy of mine has a Delorean Snow Cat?
He’s working on. It’s cool but not as cool as this.

Very cool!

I think you could be the next youtube star but we need your videos to be as funny as your posts!
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Very cool!

I think you could be the next youtube star but we need your videos to be as funny as your posts!

i'll work on that
Got an eta for completion, Dave? Will she ski this year?

Nice work.
way cool! love the color and build all together
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got an eta for completion, Dave? Will she ski this year?

Nice work.

I hope so, I don't work as fast as i used to.
GREAT thread! Very interesting.
Oooooooohhhh.....a grommet!
looking good!!
That rig is awesome. Nothing else I can think of to say.
It's alive! We fired it up tonight. Not far to go now and we'll be scooting across the snow.
Any fires?

Good job.
Enjoying the vids Dave good luck with the shake down cruise. Video/cruise that's a hint!
love this thing
Dave’s a Chevy guy now? Who’d a thunk it? wink

That thing looks awesome! Can’t wait to see it on the white stuff. Will that beast be able to pull your fish house?

Very cool! Thanks for letting us take a peek.
NDs Power Nation TV.
Sounds real good and should be a cruiser.
Very neat project and work!
Dave,

Awesome, don't know how I missed this, till today !
Love Joe's expression on the fire up !!

Made me warm & fuzzy, on this cold day.
I wonder if that radiator will suck a lot of snow in being in the back? I remember the ones we used to ride around in fishing would be covered with snow.
I hated when they had a full load you had to put your gear in the open side rack. Better have a lid on your bucket!
Very cool project
Cherry Bombs and Chrome stacks. Be still my heart. Could have gone to Purple Horneys with clamdiggers on them.
Originally Posted by Krazi
I wonder if that radiator will suck a lot of snow in being in the back? I remember the ones we used to ride around in fishing would be covered with snow.
I hated when they had a full load you had to put your gear in the open side rack. Better have a lid on your bucket!

There's a clamshell door that goes on the back, hinged at the bottom. They bring their air in fron the tip of the clamshell. Although there are many of these in use with just a piece of expanded metal covering the radiator and they do fine. Snow melts and cools the rad like crazy.
Love the sound of that V8. Looks like Joe does too judging by the smile when he revved it a little.

I wonder about using the limited slip diff though. Seems like it might reduce the ability to steer with the tracks not wanting to move at different speeds.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Love the sound of that V8. Looks like Joe does too judging by the smile when he revved it a little.

I wonder about using the limited slip diff though. Seems like it might reduce the ability to steer with the tracks not wanting to move at different speeds.

Jerry

A valid concern. We've discussed it and we've talked to others that have tried it, they seem happy with theirs so we're going to try it.
Alright, this is down and dirty, slam it out junk fab.

Axle and sprocket mods.

Incredible! You and him, in his own right are very talented . Great on both of you.
Amazing work.
This axle swap with sprocket mods is all the machine really needed. We finally did it tonight.
I can’t wait to see the end result!!!
Maybe I missed it but, are you trueing things on a lathe?
Originally Posted by Higginez

Nope, lol.

We checked for straightness and run out when mounted on the new axle. Much improved over what we had originally.
Originally Posted by Higginez

Surely you jest!

John
It's really not that precise of a machine, lol. You'd maybe have to see in person to understand. Everything was measured and squared, it's a lot straighter than it was originally.
Absolutely fabulous job Dave; and involving your son makes it all the more awesome! Memories last forever! Congratulations on one helluva job, looking forward to the finished product. Thanks for the wonderful pictures & videos. A TON of work. Doesn't look like it's your son's first rodeo. You should be one proud Dad!
Thanks. Yeah the boys have grown up around mechanical, fabrication, welding, body and paint work. They're naturals.
Cool project.

Sorry for the drift, one quick question, will we get to see a little info or at least a few pics of the M-37?
Originally Posted by gunzo
Cool project.

Sorry for the drift, one quick question, will we get to see a little info or at least a few pics of the M-37?

maybe
we drove the bomber last night.

-10 degrees, dark, no doors, no seats, no windshield... test drive? Absolutely!

Joe and I put our stocking caps on and a couple of safety face shields from the welding shop and we backed the bomber out of the shop under it's own power for the first time since october 21.

Success, it was pretty awesome.
Cool deal!

Joe and I put our stocking caps on and a couple of safety face shields from the welding shop and we backed the bomber out of the shop under it's own power for the first time since october 21.

Niiiiiiiice!!!
Very cool (no pun intended) I really like seeing the progress

Grinnin like heck !!
TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!
That thing sounds awesome!
Can't believe you got rid of the Tucker, those things are awesome but this looks like it could be a lot of fun too. Those tracks must suck in the deep snow but the metal grousers have to be awesome on the ice for traction. My Argo has similar tracks (UHMW grousers) like yours and they don't like the deep snow but they are killer in the swamps and on the tundra. That's going to make one hell of an ice fishing rig.
YEAH!

That sounds so badazzed. KING OF THE LAKE for sure!
That's just too cool, Dave! smile
Wow, that's kool!
Looks and sounds great
Had to fix the video, it's back up now. I had 2 clips playing twice.
Lost something?
Looked like a temporary windshield to me
Sunroof flew out, it was just sitting in it's opening, wasn't fastened.
Oops,
Next new sport, Bombardier drag racing.
grin

smile
That’s awesome.

I LAFAO when that thing came flying up. laugh laugh laugh
So cool

[bleep] happens, can't remember to bolt everything down. Especially when you been waiting to run it.
[Linked Image from sayingimages.com]

John
Dave,

What do you expect top speed to be?

All things considered, what would be the top safe speed?
Dave,

What do you expect top speed to be?

All things considered, what would be the top safe speed?

Theoretically it would do about 70 with the gear ratio, sprocket size and expected rpm. Safe and sustainable, 30 to 40. Its all dependent on trail conditions or lack of trail, it could be 20. Depends on conditions.
Won't be long before it makes it's first run out fishing.

Looking like a million bucks.Sounds rad too.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Love Joe's expression on the fire up !!

Made me warm & fuzzy, on this cold day.

A real big PLUS ONE on that!

Joe has the coolest dad..
. laugh

John

Now that is plumb cool.

Dave, What motor originally came in those?
Originally Posted by horse1

I was looking for 2wd transmission like everyone has always ran in these machines. But then it occurred to me, Nobody wants 4x4 LS swaps so they are dirt cheap. Also, transfer cases have low range. The (forward output) won't drive anything, but it also won't hurt anything. For trail cruising with passengers I will use hi range 2 wheel drive. But if I have to pull a heavy load, I have low range.

I was wondering about the T-case too, but now that makes sense......
That is totally awesome, Dave!!!! You actually make winter look fun!!!! That V-8 sounds good!! Hope the Bombadier provides you many years of a nice warm place to drink a beer on the lake.....frozen that is.
Damn cool!
Uber Dave !!
Nice
BGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAA
Almost done Dave?

I've been sending the links to some relatives that are of the gearhead persuasion. They're impressed.
Most fun "snowmobile" on the planet........and it sounds terrific!!!
All I can say from a southerner's view point, it looks dang cold out there.

Kissin the rev limiter. grin
snow is getting deep, deep. lol
That's badass, Dave! NICE!
Wow, just Wow!!
i have to paint those blue doors and finish the interior but we're getting close.
That is truly Awesome!
How's it corner? laugh
i have to paint those blue doors and finish the interior but we're getting close.

A big giant THUMBS UP emoji here!
How's it corner? laugh

I'm thinking it would roll like a pop can if you ever tried drifting with it. Slow down to turn.
Beyond cool. Quite the display of brilliance.
How's it corner? laugh

like a whale on a skateboard.
What's the pucker factor? Are you clinching the sphincter or would you like more throttle?
Either way that is a Bad Ass machine.
Just TOO much fun! grin
Anyone notice the bad moon a rising?

Didn't know those Bombs could go that fast. Excellent. Congratulations.
Is that legal for use on the snowmobile trails?
Making the very best of Winter..... It does have a working heater right? grin
Originally Posted by Violator22
Is that legal for use on the snowmobile trails?

Yes it is!
When you gonna have the memorabilia company that does them for ball teams make us a Northern Dave Bobblehead?

You do a great impression of one

And, I see the wipers are working well.

Cool video.
Surprisingly quiet inside. Very cool!
Bet you got white caps in your sauce on that one stretch! lol
That is a whole lot of Awesome!
So cool, Dave! Well done.
Nice! smile

You'll get a ticket in that thang! wink
Friggen awesome Boyz !!

Love this video !!
Coolio dude!
Doe's that beast have disc brakes?

LOL

you will be the first one to the best spots, that's for sure
Hard work pays off.
It has....

No brakes.

Hahahhaaaa!

We'll work on that in the off season.

And this, kids...is why we can't have nice things.

And this, kids...is why we can't have nice things.

If you put a turbo on one of your cows, you'd be finding out how fast it goes. Lol
I had a 77 Blazer that wouldn't float the valves until 6500 rpm.

I blew it up passing a school bus.....trying to impress a girl.

Worthy cause.

Worthy cause.

I concur.

Was her name Tulsi?

Worthy cause.

Did it work?
Just pull it into Low on the transfer case if you need to slow quickly……
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Worthy cause.

Did it work?

Hahaha!

No.

Neither did pulling wheelies with my CB750 with her on the back.

I think a translucent gold flame job on that thing could get ya another 5mph.

Lololol, that's great! Love it.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Worthy cause.

Did it work?

Hahaha!

No.

Neither did pulling wheelies with my CB750 with her on the back.

Some girls are hard to impress. Part your eyebrows with your tongue and you might impress her.....
© 24hourcampfire