Home
video in the link

No diesel, DEF, or hydraulic hoses to blow? Hmmm.......

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...uture-of-work-at-ces-2022-301453915.html

"The T7X is the first machine of its kind to be fully electric, offering the full benefits of eliminating hydraulic systems, components, emissions and vibrations – all while providing cleaner, quieter machines.

"Doosan Bobcat is at the forefront of innovation, and we are proud to debut the all-electric technology of the T7X to help customers maximize both sustainability and productivity," said Scott Park, president and CEO of Doosan Bobcat, Inc. "Our focus remains on providing solutions and products that empower people to accomplish more and build a better world."

The Bobcat T7X is the world's first all-electric compact track loader. This machine is fully battery-powered, built to be more productive from the ground up with electric actuation and propulsion, quieter with high-performance torque and more powerful than any diesel-fueled track loader that has ever come before it – all while eliminating any carbon emissions.

"This machine is a technological feat for Bobcat and for the entire industry," said Joel Honeyman, vice president of global innovation at Doosan Bobcat. "We challenged the status quo to deliver a connected, all-electric machine designed for power and performance that previously was not possible. We are excited to share this advancement with the world and proud of the hard work that has gone into making this a reality."
Indoor operations is where this will excel as well. Areas with combustible materials etc.

Paper mills, mines etc
I am in the market for a Takeuchi. Won't be considering an electric Bobcat. I'm ok with my carbon footprint.
No muffs needed? Talk to someone on the ground? Works in the cold?

Has possibilities.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Has possibilities.

No DEF freezing? No hydraulics to warm up for 20 minutes before you can move one pallet?
Wast more money.
4 hour run time? Cool, go home at lunch time and come back tomorrow.
At least Robert G LeTourneau was smart enough to put a big ass genset on his 60 years ago.
I'm wondering if your insurance company will require storing it outside, so when it inevitably has a catastrophic electrical fire it doesn't burn up the rest of your equipment.
I have 3 VW tiguans in the shop at present, all with electronic power steering issues !

Electric & cold, do not go together !
Originally Posted by Fireball2
4 hour run time? Cool, go home at lunch time and come back tomorrow.

We use ours four days per week for about an hour, maybe two. I suspect there's a lot of others that don't dog a machine 8 hrs or more a day. Farmers mucking out stables in the morning, that sort of thing. We've most certainly done long days when doing construction, but 99% of the time it's loading or unloading a truck, moving some stuff around, spreading some cinders, whatever.
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm wondering if your insurance company will require storing it outside, so when it inevitably has a catastrophic electrical fire it doesn't burn up the rest of your equipment.

That's likely more of a product of the mfg and not being electric.

Paper mills in my area have HUNDREDS of electric lift trucks, mobility carts and SVGs and if they had a propensity to burst into flames due to being electric - they wouldn't be there.
I'm not up on heavy equipment. If those cylinders aren't hydraulic, what are they? That could be a motor attached to it. Are they driven by a screw?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Linear actuator - operates like hydraulics?
Imagine how much money was wasted on R&D, prototyping and manufacturing to get this POS on the market. Also imagine if you will how much tax money the Biden administration has given them to produce this splendid boat anchor. Then imagine how much this is going to raise the prices of their other products.
But it's "Zero Emissions" , until you have to plug it into the grid to recharge.
Originally Posted by Teal
Indoor operations is where this will excel as well. Areas with combustible materials etc.

Paper mills, mines etc

Yep.

Food plants as well during construction activities. Example-Where normally you would use a gas saw for concrete cutting, we will pay a premium to bring in big electric saws. Keeps exhaust fumes from accidentally migrating where you don’t want them. Most activities in a plant where a skid steer would be handy are just a few minutes here and there over a couple days. Lots less paperwork to fill out if no combustion going on.

Paper mills in my area have HUNDREDS of electric lift trucks, mobility carts and SVGs and if they had a propensity to burst into flames due to being electric - they wouldn't be there.

In all fairness, those are probably lead-acid, not Li-ion. Li-ion fires are not unheard of, but they aren't an every day occurrence, either. The Chevy Bolt comes to mind. About a dozen out of 30,000 lit off, and that's the highest rate I know of.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Imagine how much money was wasted on R&D, prototyping and manufacturing to get this POS on the market. Also imagine if you will how much tax money the Biden administration has given them to produce this splendid boat anchor. Then imagine how much this is going to raise the prices of their other products.

I bet you would have been popular in the Apollo era...... wink.
I have switched over to electric for a lot of stuff. anchor winches, gurdies, pot haulers. For the lighter duty stuff, electric all the way. Hydraulics suck to work on.
Head to head specs will tell the tale...

Until then it all just a publicity stunt.
They have been using all electric autonomous haul trucks for years in the Alberta oil sands.
What do you do with all those hydraulic attachments?
All this has been done, clear back into the 1920's, as far as electric over mechanical, what has changed is the control circuits. Linear actuators are usually a bi directional motor mounted 90 deg to the log axis, the motor pinion engages a worm gear which is internally threaded onto the 'cylinder rod'. They control all this schidt with square wave DC and you knew it...computer boards. It's great stuff, developed into a fine art in railroad service, marine and hugely successful and profitable. IMO though, as the work environment gets harsher the little things that crash the system are always, supply voltage, wiring, Bosch connectors, vibration, heat, cold, and sensor failure. The same things that causes the endless complaints of engine light in the pickup you drive. One other thing that is a problem that has never been addressed, starting under load. Electric don't like it. So then they have to compound wind the motors and provide the switch gear to handle 2 types of current for one motor. These problems will be solved, but not tomorrow. 30 years from now they'll look back at electric vehicles and just laugh at our first efforts.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by ironbender

Has possibilities.

No DEF freezing? No hydraulics to warm up for 20 minutes before you can move one pallet?

I didn't spend an hour looking, but I did look.... For some specs. Like how much it weighs, how much it lifts to full height, what the run-time is when you are using the loader for heavy jobs.

Call me when an electric loader can run a heavy duty cutter 8-10 hours a day cutting 5 foot growth... Or lift 4500 pounds to full height. Or have enough power to push a huge pile of trees into a brush pile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I won't hold my breath. wink
Every airliner above you has linear actuators running the flaps, elevators, etc.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Every airliner above you has linear actuators running the flaps, elevators, etc.

Not for eight hours straight.
Originally Posted by rainshot

That right there is the problem.

4hrs runtime makes it still a non viable option for 95% of the market yet 100% of the market will be paying for it.
I made a lot of money 25 year or so ago contracting work in large commercial kitchen operations, this would have been perfect. In those buildings fumes were not allowed.
If I had them today it would have to be a pair, one for first half the day then one for later. I’d imagine electric Dingo’s can’t be far behind.
We’re we still doing large concrete jobs particularly outdoors 4 hours run time wouldn’t cut it. Most days up here on the place I rub one more than 4 hours pretty often. Current good skid steers running 80k and better this electric one has to be a whole lot more.

Osky
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

well, you sell them and buy new electric ones from Bobcat, of course!

I got to believe that the machine is still using hydraulics for the loader and also for the propulsion system.
Originally Posted by Dutch

In all fairness, those are probably lead-acid, not Li-ion. Li-ion fires are not unheard of, but they aren't an every day occurrence, either. The Chevy Bolt comes to mind. About a dozen out of 30,000 lit off, and that's the highest rate I know of.

I'd be willing to bet that the number one cause of catastrophic loss of construction equipment is electrical fire. Abrasive conditions, recesses full if debris, and lots and lots of vibration make for parts salvage yards full of burned out equipment.

In addition to being much less complicated machinery, electric fork trucks and mobility carts (I don't know what an SVG is) operate in an entirely different environment.
Nope, just talked to a buddy of mine that is a dealer. All-electric motors.
Nope, just talked to a buddy of mine that is a dealer. All-electric motors.

Makes sense for the propulsion. Just like an electric car. Assume that they use an electric motor to power the hydraulic pump? Has to be faster and stronger than linear actuators. Dave
Linear actuator - operates like hydraulics?

There's no reason to expect that the lift and auxiliary functions wouldn't be hydraulic. The drives on the other hand would likely see a large gains in efficiency if they were electric rather than electric over hydraulic.
Originally Posted by EdM
They have been using all electric autonomous haul trucks for years in the Alberta oil sands.

This is another example of a purpose built machine designed for a very specific task in a very specific environment. A skidsteer is the complete opposite and likely the most universally utilized piece of construction equipment ever built.
We had electric lift trucks running parts and materials all over the plant when I was doing my apprenticeship almost fifty years ago.
Originally Posted by EdM

In the 1950's RG LeTourneau designed and built the "land train". 50 or 60 driving wheels if I remember correctly, 150 to 230 ft long? Put them to work in Libya for British Petroleum who literally was able to haul an entire oil field deep into Libya. The DEW line in Alaska was supplied with an even better version of the land train. There is supposed to be one sitting outside of Fairbanks, but I've never found it...but I was drinking a bit in those days they say.
© 24hourcampfire